View Full Version : Blades

96.23??
07-07-2003, 02:37 PM
Does anyone know what jumps you should be working on for each type of blade? If you have a Corn. Ace what jumps should you be working on? and how about if you have a Comet?

Debbie S
07-07-2003, 03:46 PM
I don't know about the Comet, but Coronation Aces are designed for skaters doing singles and doubles. They are not beginning freestyle blades (those would be the Majestics or MK Double Stars), but are for skaters that have almost, if not all, of their singles and are working on the axel and some doubles.

Of course, I know some adults who are doing singles and doubles and have either MK Vision or Phantom blades, which are designed for double jumps (Vision) and triples (Phantom). It depends what you feel comfortable with, but generally speaking, you should work up in blade levels gradually - with every step up, the toe pick gets larger, so you want to make sure you'll be used to it or else you'll trip and scrape all over the place.

TreSk8sAZ
07-08-2003, 02:35 AM
I'm using Coronation Aces right now, working on all of my single jumps and dancing. The only problem I have with them is that the toepicks are so small, I sometimes have trouble grabbing the ice as well as I need to. I'm tall and have a lot of power, so my jumps are normally very big. This can be a problem with the smaller toepick, but in my opinion, they are great blades for learning the jumps, dancing, and moves.

Mrs Redboots
07-08-2003, 09:36 AM
I'm not a jumper, but my coach's rule of thumb for those of his skaters who are, is use Coronation Ace until you start working on doubles, and then, when next you need new blades, move up to (I think) Phantoms.

dbny
07-09-2003, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by Mrs Redboots
I'm not a jumper, but my coach's rule of thumb for those of his skaters who are, is use Coronation Ace until you start working on doubles, and then, when next you need new blades, move up to (I think) Phantoms.

My coach uses the same guideline. She wanted my daughter to get better blades at just that point. She recommended Pattern 99's or Phantoms. We got her Gold Seals because we got an incredible deal on them.

CanAmSk8ter
07-09-2003, 03:26 PM
I was working on all my doubles, and landing most of them, in Coronation Ace before I quit to focus on dance. My coach was in the process of getting ready to move cross-country at that point, or I think she would have recommended an upgrade- to what, I'm not sure. I think she figured if I was going to have to change coaches soon, I might as well have whatever my new coach would suggest. I think probably Phantom is what she would have recommended. When I went back to singles, I upgraded to a Comet. I figured I would have an easier time transitioning to them than a Phantom or Gold Seal. I'm glad I did, too, because I used them for fourteen months and decided to go back to dance!