View Full Version : What kind of skates do you own?

96.23??
07-05-2003, 10:51 AM
I was just wondering what type of skates and blades you own right now and in the past and which have been your favourite?

Mrs Redboots
07-05-2003, 11:23 AM
I have Gams with Team Precision blades (should have been Coronation Dance, but I bought them in the middle of the blade famine some years ago now); they've lasted forever, with a couple of punch-outs, and I've never had a moment's discomfort in them, except when I lace them too tightly, and for a bit earlier this year when they needed punching out again.

TreSk8sAZ
07-05-2003, 12:42 PM
I also have Gams, but with Coronation Ace blades (which desperately need to be upgraded as soon as I can aquire the money!) They are great! Only a couple of weeks break in time, and really only the first week was really painful.

CanAmSk8ter
07-05-2003, 01:12 PM
I'm on my third pair of Risport Super Diamants, and I have no intention of ever having anything other than Risports again. I even like them better than my custom Harlicks. Since they've changed the boots, my next ones will probably be the dance boot, though. But that won't be for awhile, I've only had this pair for just under two months.

I have MK Dance blades, and I don't plan to change that anytime soon either. When I teach freestyle and have to show more advanced jumps, I wear my old boots with the Coronation Dance blades- same short blade, so I don't worry about tripping over the heel, but the toe picks are substantial enough that I can demonstrate single jumps without falling on my face.

flying~camel
07-05-2003, 02:29 PM
I have SP Teri Deluxe with Coronation Ace blades :)

Nikki Lee
07-05-2003, 02:37 PM
I had Risport Super Cristallos for nearly 3 years. I never liked them all that much; they took 6 months to break and and they encouraged my feet to pronate, so the MK Pro blades had to be moved in a bit. Then they were tolerable.
I just got a pair of Jackson boots; still have the same blades. I like them a lot! They are light and comfortable, once they were heat molded and punched out a little. I realized how heavy the Risport were once I wore the Jacksons.

dbny
07-05-2003, 04:03 PM
Custom Klingbeils with Coronation Aces. Love the Klingbeils, probably would have been fine with Majestics, but the Aces will last longer. I can't tell much difference as I don't jump.

StarshineXavier
07-05-2003, 09:23 PM
I have Risport Super Diamant skates with Coronation Ace blades. When I get new skates, I'd like to get Grafs, and keep the blades I have now.

Aussie Willy
07-05-2003, 10:06 PM
Risport RF2s with Coronation Ace blades. Love the blades. The boots even after 2 and half years still hurt my feet on the instep and I find I have to take them off one or two times during a session to lessen the pain. I might go and see a podiatrist to see if he can do anything about it, otherwise I am saving money in my cat money box to try and afford a new pair of boots. I might try Wifas next. But I think if I could lessen the pain I would enjoy skating a lot more.

I used to have Risport Super Diamont and really liked them. They took a couple of months to break in but when they did they were lovely. Eventually they lost the support (after about 7 years) and I had to get new boots.

KathySkates
07-05-2003, 10:47 PM
Me and my little fat feet love custom Klingbeils with Gold Seals. My current boots are 2 1/2 years old. I brought them back last year to be built up. I will wait until I get a little run down and tired and then bring them in again. The Klingbeil people are the best.

GoldieMedal
07-06-2003, 10:29 AM
Well I skated on Stubbert, yes I still had my Stubberts from the late 70's when I went back to skating 5 years ago( I am 41).They were good for a while, but really had no support for jumps any more.I went for Gams 65's in a D width and put my Phantom blade on the new boots.I never had a blister and even with punching out in the boot, no breakdown yet and it is over 4 years on them.

I have down sized to a Coronation Ace Blade, after all I am 41 and a double salchow is what I am working on, my spins have improved
100 % with the Coronation Ace Blade and I did not need all those huge picks anymore for the jumping I do.

Chosing a boot is a personal thing, and not all feet can wear the most popular model at the rink.Sometimes it takes a few different models to find the right one for you.I feel lucky that I found mine on the first try.

A good rule of thumb is to get a great informed sales person, tell them your weight, level of skating ability and try on all models and take your time choosing.

Happy Skating to all!!

NickiT
07-06-2003, 12:57 PM
Gam 65's and MK Professional blades!!!

Nicki

luna_skater
07-06-2003, 01:43 PM
Ridell Silver Stars and Ultima Synchro blades. I've had the Silver Stars forever, because even though they broke down after 2 or 3 years, when I got them rebuilt, they were stiffer than when I bought them. They fit my foot so great that I went for the cheaper option of getting them rebuilt as opposed to shelling out for new boots. They are in no danger of breaking down anytime soon, but when they do, I'll likely be looking into the Jackson Synchro boot, or custom Klingbiels.

I LOVE the blades. They are even shorter than the MK Precision I used to have (although I think Ultima is making them slightly longer now), and have a small bottom pick, with a large top one to accommodate toe jumps. I use these blades for dance as well, and love them to death. They are very fast on the ice, and I rarely have to get them sharpened because they hold a sharpening so well. I found with my MK Precisions, I was getting them sharpened constantly.

Caitlin
07-06-2003, 04:41 PM
I am on my second year of Risport Excellence with Stealth Blades. I found them so easy to break in although my friend tore her ankles up using them... they must be inconsistent but they sure haven't been to me! p.s. don't get ridell royal especially if you are Novice/Junior! I k now a friend who has one and they were fit for the garbage after just 3 or 4 weeks! Just a warning! Listen if you want
Chow

Lanie
07-06-2003, 06:59 PM
I have Jackson Freestyles. They've been nothing but a pain in the rear end; I had to get them punched out a few times, heat molded three times, and finally they fit when we got them stretched (I have tiny size 2 feet, but wide with HIGH arches). But now they're okay.

96.23??
07-06-2003, 10:18 PM
I have Graf, Edmonton specials and Corn. Ace blades and I love them... well after I had them heat molded and punched out.

who
07-06-2003, 11:44 PM
I have Graf Edmonton Specials and MK Professional blades, both I love!!

jazzpants
07-07-2003, 01:25 AM
Riedell Bronze Stars and MK Pro blades... Works great for me! :D (Maybe at most I need new laces...)

TashaKat
07-07-2003, 02:57 AM
Have got Harlick Customs with John Wilson Gold Seal for Free and MK Dance for, erm, dance ......

http://pictures.friendsreunited.co.uk/thumbnails/14720015_mini.jpg

Have had Wifa, Belati and (yak yak) Risport in the past.

Completely detest Risports (long list of complaints including extra bumps on feet/ankle, killing Super Diamants within a couple of months and popping all the hooks off ......).

Belati's killed my feet (I bled and was in pain) for 6 months and then collapsed within a year (they actually folded up LENGTHWAYS along the foot).

Wifa's were good for dance but not strong enough (for me) for free.

Completely adore Harlicks, have now had 3 sets of Harlicks and never had a problem PLUS the company has always been incredibly helpful.

x

Mrs Redboots
07-07-2003, 05:12 AM
Originally posted by TashaKat
Have got Harlick Customs Which are very purple, and very beautiful - I've seen them and am almost jealous!

eliao
07-07-2003, 11:53 AM
I have Jackson Elite 2700's with Coronation Ace Blades. I got them around Christmastime and I hated the boots at first. The right skate caused problems for me and I had to get them heat-molded twice. There was a spot on my navicular bone on my right foot that caused great pain too, but my skate pro just punched it out for me. I also had to put insoles in my Jacksons as I have narrow feet and I didn't learn until later that Jacksons were for people with wider feet. Other than those intital problems, my skates have been pretty good. The break in time was just a few hours, and I love my Aces, as my spins have improved with them. For my next pair of skates, I may try to shop around more, but I wouldn't rule out sticking with Jacksons.

Emily

jp1andOnly
07-07-2003, 12:22 PM
I have Jacksons (i think 3100 or 2700) with Graf Lausanne Blades.

sk8er1964
07-07-2003, 02:38 PM
I have Klingbeil stock boots with Ultima Elite blades. Love them. My old skates were Reidell Gold Stars with Coronation Aces. They were good too - like the fit of the Klingbeils better, though.

Stormy
07-07-2003, 02:39 PM
Have got Harlick Customs with John Wilson Gold Seal for Free and MK Dance for, erm, dance ......

x

A skating coach at my rink has the EXACT same boots! In that exact same color. If I didn't know better, I'd say those in the pic were hers. :)

I myself have Reidell Champions w/ Gold Seal blades that I bought off a friend for only $300. Her boots fit me better than any other pair I've had (incuding Harlick Customs which I couldn't break in and had to return), as I have a VERY narrow heel. These boots are the only ones that my heels haven't slipped out of. It only took about a week to adjust to the Gold Seals, and they aren't going to be broken down anytime soon. I'll have them rebuilt when they do.

spicyicey
07-07-2003, 03:13 PM
I love these boot and blade threads!

I have SP-Teri Advantages right now, with a combination width, and Vision blades. I love my boots! They were easy to break in, which is surprising considering what I've heard about SP-Teri's, but they fit very well and are holding up great. I have no complaints about my blade, either.

I totally believe that boots and blades are a personal thing, and instead you should really rely on a good fitter that knows what brand's best for your foot, and then what boot for your ability, how much to punch or not punch, etc.

Terri C
07-07-2003, 03:16 PM
I wear a Super Teri Deluxe with a Coronation Ace blade. Will have to get a new set of both soo, trying to make this pair last through this next season!

Debbie S
07-07-2003, 03:57 PM
I just got SP-Teri Super Teris with MK Pro blades. I've only skated in them twice, so I'm still in the breaking-in process. Ouch!

I had Gam 65's (with MK Double Star blades) which, as I have learned, are designed for people with narrow feet. I, much to my surprise, apparently have wide feet - well, at least the balls of my feet are wide relative to my heels. I never felt comfortable in the Gams, and I should have taken flo's advice a year and a half ago and gone to the fitter she recommended. Spicyicey hit the nail on the head when he/she said that boots are very personal, and that just because a particular fitter raves about a certain boot brand, it doesn't mean it's right for you. Definitely go to a fitter that carries many brands and allows you to try them on. You want to make sure someone measures both feet and looks at the width of your foot, not just the length.

lilpairsk8ter
07-07-2003, 04:14 PM
I have custom Harlicks which i Love :D with the lambswool toung which i would highly reccomend. I have very tiny feet i only wear a size 1 1/2 boot but my feet are very wide and these skates are great. They feel like slippers ( they should for what they cost). i have a Coronation Ace blade which i also like. Ive had several pairs of Ridells in the past which i never really cared for beacuse of my wide feet but i love my Harlick's.

skater247
07-07-2003, 04:27 PM
right now i have gams with gold seal blades in the past i had ridells

icenut84
07-07-2003, 04:30 PM
I have Risport Etoile boots which I've had just over a year. They are pretty easy on my feet compared to some of the horror stories I've read, only occasionally causing me a bit of pain (usually in the heel or the little toe on my right foot). I have Coronation Ace blades - my spinning (and many aspects of my skating) did improve when I got them.

I used to have Belati Classics, which were NOT good for me - they were too big really. Dunno how good they'd be if they were the proper size for me, but my Risports are more comfortable anyway. Before I got Coronation Aces I had stock blades that came on the boots.

96.23??
07-07-2003, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by lilpairsk8ter
I have very tiny feet i only wear a size 1 1/2 boot but my feet are very wide and these skates are great.

1 1/2? wow tiny!!!!

jazzpants
07-07-2003, 06:08 PM

I want *THOSE* BOOTS!!! :D :D :D :lol:

LoopLoop
07-08-2003, 07:42 AM
I have SP-Teri customs (equivalent of Super Teri Deluxe) and Pattern 99 blades. I've had them for a little over two years and think I'll get another year out of them.

NoVa Sk8r
07-08-2003, 11:16 AM
I've got custom Klingbeils with Coronation Ace blades. The boots are nearly 4 years old and are only beginning to break down. My 12 3/4 (!)blades are more than 5 years old, but they've held up.

I'm looking to get new blades, but I think I'll wait until I get new boots, so I can just have one break-in period!

mikawendy
08-08-2003, 07:09 PM
I already answered this poll, but I just got back from putting a deposit down on NEW SKATES!!! Yay! This is will be my second pair after the Riedell 275s I bought a year and a half ago before I started lessons.

The fitter had me try Super Teris and Jackson Elite 2700s, and I decided on the latter. I found out I have a narrow heel (A width) even though the rest of my foot is a C width, which is why I've been slipping around in my left boot of my current skates (Riedell 275). The fit is so much better in the 2700s--my current skates were also a half-size too long and a width too narrow.

The only thing I'm wondering about is that the skate pro who fitted me and his assistants didn't ask me my weight (115-120 lbs). Does anyone know if there's a sort of upper weight limit to the Jackson Elite 2700?

I had thought I would get Coronation Ace blades, but the fitter recommended the MK Pro blade, and since the rocker was the same and he said they're fairly similar blades, I went the MK Pros.

I can't wait till my skates come in and I can start breaking them in!!!

jamie_rae352
08-10-2003, 10:26 AM
I have Riedell something or others.... and Ultima blades ( I don't
know the type of boots n blades...)

SDFanatic
08-10-2003, 11:21 AM
I started with Jacksons, it took me a bit since I wasn't skating that often to break them in, I also found out that they are too big, either from the start, and/or my feet shrunk some. The past three weeks have been worse as the crease on my right boot is hitting under my ankle bone.

My new boots are going to be Sp-Teri Supers with Coronation Ace blades, might be another couple weeks before I get them since they went on vacation. I also agree with you on a skaters weight, a heavier person wwould have an easier time flexing a boot then someone lighter.

Steven

BringontheRain
08-10-2003, 12:05 PM
Riedell 1500's w/ Vision blades. I love my blades. The skates are OK, I prefered my old Riedells. I have only tried Sp Teri's and Riedells and much prefer Riedells.

mandy_j07
08-10-2003, 02:48 PM
I have Risport RF3's... They are sooo comfortable and easy to break in! I'm not sure about my blade.. I'm ordering new ones, It's between Pattern 99 and MK Pro.. any suggestions?

CanAmSk8ter
08-10-2003, 06:35 PM
I also have and love Risports... I'm on my third pair of Super Diamantes. I was lucky enough when I got my last pair in May to find a place online that still had the Super Diamantes in my size. Now that they've changed their line I don't know what my next pair will be. They're making them stiffer, I've heard, and they're not cutting them as low in the back, and I only do dance, so that's a big part of why I liked them! They're making a dance boot now, but it's beige and it has these things on the front part of the boot, the part that drags when you do a lunge, that look like giant band-aids. I actually like the idea of having beige boots, but I don't like the band-aid things. Oh well. Hopefully one of the other girls at my rink will get them first so I won't have to be the guinea pig finding out what they're like!

fuzzybunnies
08-10-2003, 08:13 PM
OK Heres The Best Thing To DO..
FOR DANCERS!!!!
Get yourself A Good Pair Of Graf Freeskate boots, take them to a shoemaker or skate person, Cut the back down slightly....
THats IT
YOu'll never have to worry bout crappy dance skates ever again!

melanieuk
08-11-2003, 05:32 AM
I've got Klingbeils, tan.
I've had Belati (ouch) and Alvira's before.

~Qtip~
08-11-2003, 09:54 AM
I love my Harlick..custom made boots!!they work perfectly for me!! I am also very fond of the pattern 99 blades they help me lots!! does any one know what type of skates jennifer robinson has?

luna_skater
08-11-2003, 06:14 PM
I thought she wore SP-Teri's.

~Qtip~
08-11-2003, 06:17 PM
thanks its for a quiz im taking ...

blurrysarah
08-11-2003, 07:06 PM
Something that I've pondered over for quite awhile, why are the Klingbeil lace hooks arranged they way they are? The three in the usual position and the fourth sitting just outside of those. Any owners notice a difference when lacing?

skaternum
08-11-2003, 07:24 PM
It's to help "lock" the laces in place and prevent them from slipping. You're supposed to lace the "far hook" last. I've been skating in K's for almost 6 months now, and haven't had any problem with laces slipping, so I guess they work.

dbny
08-11-2003, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by skaternum
It's to help "lock" the laces in place and prevent them from slipping. You're supposed to lace the "far hook" last. I've been skating in K's for almost 6 months now, and haven't had any problem with laces slipping, so I guess they work.

I didn't lace the far hooks on mine for the first year, because it made the upper too stiff, so I guess it also adds a bit of support.

fmh
01-22-2006, 03:27 PM
I've got risport with shadow blades....they rock, they took 3 weeks to get used to but it was worth it because they're really comfortable and they make me skate faster and bye bye to my old scratchy jumps :P

coskater64
01-22-2006, 06:31 PM
I have custom Harlick's both my free skate and dance boots look the same w/ a 2"+ heel, dance back stay and so on. My dance boots are single ply and the free skate are duo bond. I use a pattern 99k pick of the fs and the MK dance for, ....dance.

jenlyon60
01-22-2006, 06:34 PM
custom Klingbeils with high heel, and dance cut-down in back + dance scallop at ankle; Ultima Ascend blades.

mikawendy
01-22-2006, 09:46 PM
Wow, this thread is a blast from the past--it was about 2 1/2 years between the last replies before fmh's post!

I still have my Jacksons 2700s that I got in August of 2003. I think they'll probably last me another 6 months or more--they're still very supportive in the ankles. The blades have plenty of sharpenings left in them--I think I've only sharpened them about 7 or 8 times.

Isk8NYC
01-22-2006, 09:54 PM
Something that I've pondered over for quite awhile, why are the Klingbeil lace hooks arranged they way they are? The three in the usual position and the fourth sitting just outside of those. Any owners notice a difference when lacing?

Because you hook them last, the laces cross over the other lacing you've already completed. I refer to them as my "jump hooks" and only use them when I plan to jump. (Don't really need them to teach beginners.) Those hooks to provide extra strength and support while preventing "Lace Bite."

I have tan Klingbeils with Gold Seal blades.

VegasGirl
01-23-2006, 08:26 AM
Jackson Classique Combo... no frills. :)
Though I do think it's just about time for Freestyles.

iskatealot
01-23-2006, 11:14 AM
Ok, I have Risport RF3s with Coronation Comet Blades....I LOVE THEM

I have had Risports twice now....the RF3s and the Super Cristello before that. For me they were the most comfortable boots ever from the very first time I put them on, (just sitting in the store!) A lot of people dont like Risport it seems but they are good boots if they are the right fit for you. Im pretty sure that the problem a lot of people have is that they are stiffer than some other companies. (Thats my guess as to why they take some people so long to break in.) Personally, I had them heat molded (the molding where you stick your feet in the boots in the funny machine with the balloons....NOT where you stick the boots in the oven then walk around burning your feet for ages!) and they never hurt me and they had no break in time.... I was jumping and spinning regularly (actually better) the second time out on them. Ive never gotten sores from them and theve never hurt my feet.

No complaints about the blades either

Anyways....I just felt like I had to put in a good word for Risports because I know they dont work for some people but if they work for you, you are never going to want to switch to anything else.

Kevin Callahan
01-23-2006, 11:56 AM
SP Teri Super Teri Deluxe boots with John Wilson Excel blades.

Concrete blocks, I tells ya.

flying~camel
01-23-2006, 12:00 PM
12 year old Super Teri Deluxe boots with Wilson Coronation Comet blades.

I am planning on getting new skates very soon!

Debbie S
01-23-2006, 01:27 PM
Because you hook them last, the laces cross over the other lacing you've already completed. Oh, are you supposed to lace that outside hook last? I just got mine (well, they were sent back to Klingbeil b/c of some issues and I'm now waiting for them to be sent back to me) and I laced that outside hook third, after the first 2 and before the top one. Should I be doing it differently?

Thin-Ice
01-24-2006, 03:22 AM
Super Teri Deluxe boots (5+ years old and still comfortable AND supportive) with Gold Star blades. I'll need new blades soon, but I'm hoping I can put that off until AFTER Adult Nationals. The last time I bought new boots and blades was a month before AN... and it wasn't enough time for me to adjust to stiffer boots and more advanced blades (up from Pro blades).

angelskates
01-24-2006, 07:07 AM
I have custom Klingbeils with Pattern 99s and no complaints with either. I used to have Graf Edmontons and Coronation Aces (then changed to Pattern 99s) and didn't have complaints either (not due to the boot anyway, I needed customs due to a problem with my foot).

Isk8NYC
01-24-2006, 07:10 AM
Oh, are you supposed to lace that outside hook last? I just got mine (well, they were sent back to Klingbeil b/c of some issues and I'm now waiting for them to be sent back to me) and I laced that outside hook third, after the first 2 and before the top one. Should I be doing it differently?

Many skaters have their own, almost superstitious, method for lacing skates. I insist on doing a half-knot before I start the hooks. I just like the way it feels and when (not if) I pop a lace on the hooks, I don't have to relace the bottoms. I also hook the opposite way (top to bottom) because I feel it keeps them tighter.

I use cotton or cotton/poly laces, which are thicker than the nylon laces. I've tried using the hook as the third hook, but it's awkward because of the thickness of my laces. When I picked up my new skates, I had to ask Don Klingbeil how to use those setback hooks because they were new to me. He said to use them last, but maybe it was because of my laces.

Mrs Redboots
01-24-2006, 07:44 AM
Many skaters have their own, almost superstitious, method for lacing skates. I insist on doing a half-knot before I start the hooks. I just like the way it feels and when (not if) I pop a lace on the hooks, I don't have to relace the bottoms. I also hook the opposite way (top to bottom) because I feel it keeps them tighter.Doesn't everybody do both of those things? I thought that was how it was done.... (like I'd never heard of anybody not hooking their bra in front & turning it round once hooked!).

luna_skater
01-25-2006, 12:31 AM
Doesn't everybody do both of those things? I thought that was how it was done.... (like I'd never heard of anybody not hooking their bra in front & turning it round once hooked!).

I don't half-knot my laces, and I go around the hooks bottom to top. I actually like my laces to loosen up a bit once I'm on the ice, particularly if I'm competing, so I can get down in my knees and ankles.

I do hook my bra in front first, though. :D

Kevin Callahan
01-25-2006, 03:21 AM
I'm just lacing them the way Kevin (Barry's son) showed me. I have a lesson with Tim next week (going home to take a CLEP test I can't take here), so I'm sure he'll give me advice on what he thinks I should do.

doubletoe
01-25-2006, 02:13 PM
The only thing I'm wondering about is that the skate pro who fitted me and his assistants didn't ask me my weight (115-120 lbs). Does anyone know if there's a sort of upper weight limit to the Jackson Elite 2700?

Don't know about an upper weight limit, but I think it's just as important to take into consideration how big your jumps are, and whether or not you have an aggressive skating style. Hopefully, they asked you some things that would give them an indication of that, and they probably just guessed your weight rather than asking. . . ;)

doubletoe
01-25-2006, 02:16 PM
SP Teri KT-2 boots (used to have Super Teri Deluxe-- yep, hell to break in!)
MK Gold Star blades

I love both!

hobblefeet
02-02-2007, 09:32 PM
Hello: couldn't believe it when I came accross your post about your Subbert boots. I thought I was the only person on the planet who still remembers those. I was in a stubbert boot when I returned to skating when I was 33 or so-I'm 45 now and the stubberts are still on a shelf in my bedroom. I couldn't throw them away as they were the first good pair of skates I owned that my Dad bought me all those years ago. I've been in Harlicks the last 10 or so years, but just had a pair rebuilt that are tearing the feet off me. I've been trying on boots the last few days-graf and Jackson-can't believe the price of them. Anyhoo, the Stubbert thing just made me laugh-I'm sure not too many on this forum know what you were talking about.

Cheers

mikawendy
02-02-2007, 10:22 PM
Hello: couldn't believe it when I came accross your post about your Subbert boots. I thought I was the only person on the planet who still remembers those. I was in a stubbert boot when I returned to skating when I was 33 or so-I'm 45 now and the stubberts are still on a shelf in my bedroom..... Anyhoo, the Stubbert thing just made me laugh-I'm sure not too many on this forum know what you were talking about.

Cheers

hobblefeet, the poster you're looking for is GoldieMedal. (Her reply upthread is posted below.) If you want to get in touch with her directly, you could send her a PM.

Well I skated on Stubbert, yes I still had my Stubberts from the late 70's when I went back to skating 5 years ago( I am 41).They were good for a while, but really had no support for jumps any more.I went for Gams 65's in a D width and put my Phantom blade on the new boots.I never had a blister and even with punching out in the boot, no breakdown yet and it is over 4 years on them

Mercedeslove
02-03-2007, 01:33 AM
I have Jackson freestyles and love them.

Though I have one little problem. My left boot the heel slips. Just near the heel. I put in a heel pad thingy I got at walmart and wrap my ankle It seems to fill the void and taken care of the problem.

If anyone happens to have a spear bunga sleeve I'd be willing to take it off your hand.

I'm kind broke so yeah can't really buy one now.

peanutskates
02-03-2007, 02:56 AM
I bought my skates in Sweden during a weekend break from a sports shop (bargain!! cost equivalent of 23 pounds). They are Point Zero (Victoria) and the blades are just standard, I guess. 10 3/4 is their length, and they were just sharpened there at the shop.

OK OK some of you are probably thinking aaargh never buy skates from a sports shop, and no it wasn't a special skating shop, and yes the blades were sharpened using one of those machines you find at sports rinks... BUT

I NEVER had a single problem breaking them in. I don't do jumps, but I'm starting spins and so far everything is ok. My parents would probably NOT have bought me skates for a 100 pounds, we would have gotten them from eBay most likely, and I'm so glad we didn't, because it turns out I needed a size bigger than I thought I did.

So, sports shops are not all that bad. However, I'm looking to get my blades properly sharpened in a few weeks' time, and I will see whether that makes a difference to my skating.

Rusty Blades
02-03-2007, 04:36 AM
.... (like I'd never heard of anybody not hooking their bra in front & turning it round once hooked!).

Well you have now 8O

I started (re-started?) in Jackson Competitors with MK Pro blades and switched to Jackson Custom Elites after a few months - I have duck feet (wide) and the customs are a C width heel and a D width toe - much better fit. I wish I had tried the Pro-Flex first but didn't know anybody who was skating in them and worried they might be a bit gimicky.

The nicest boots I have ever had were handmade in 1966 by a bootmaker near Toronto. They were high-top (which was the style at the time) and fit like a sock. The leather was WAY lighter than today's boots and allowed way more ankle bend while still offering support. I find the modern boot WAY HEAVY and I can't get anywhere near the ankle bend I would like. Of course in those days the top male skaters were doing triples and the women doubles so they didn't need cast iron boots. If somebody was still making boots like that, I'd buy a pair in a heartbeat!

Sonic
02-03-2007, 06:09 AM
I wear Gam 70' s with Coronation Ace Blades. I love the boots and the blades.

S xx

AndreaUK
02-03-2007, 06:25 AM
HI

I use Risport RF3 with Coronation Comet blades, find them a pleasure to skate in.

Started out on Risport Antea with the standard blades that came with them, rubbish skates, no support and becuase the leather was so thin they didnt require any breaking in at all. Crap to say the least

Andreaxxx

TashaKat
02-03-2007, 07:00 AM
Is this the longest running thread on the forum?

It was started on 5 July 2003 :D

I've still got my gorgeous Purple Harlicks with Gold Seal blades and Wifa Super Goldstar with MK Dance blades!

I REALLY need to get skating again .....

Ice Dancer
02-03-2007, 10:31 AM
Doesn't everybody do both of those things? I thought that was how it was done.... (like I'd never heard of anybody not hooking their bra in front & turning it round once hooked!).

I don't do either of these things!!

Back on the skates subject I have Risport RF4s with Ultima Mark IV blades and I love them. They are so comfortable and the only problem i've had with them was getting used to the blade as apposed to rental blades.

I would recommend them to anyone. I am glad I got this model because a girl I skate with got the non leather cheapest Risports and the tongue on them is in a real state already and they really hurt her.

Casey
02-03-2007, 11:54 AM
I have custom Klingbeils with Gold Seals. I previously had Graf Edmonton Specials with MK Gold Stars - those boots were very problematic for me. Prior to that I just had some used things off eBay that were too small and made my feet numb, and some cheap vinyl ones (also off eBay) that wore out super-fast. Each pair lasted less than a month...but they were only about $20 or so, so what do you expect? ;)

sk8_4fun
02-03-2007, 02:34 PM
Gam ultra 95's and coronation Aces.
I hate these boots with a passion as they are as stiff as hell and give me so much grief. I have on order a pair of Wifa Synchro deluxe, in tan and intend to re-use the blades as they are fab. In truth it's my own fault for buying 'too much boot' for my level of skating. I am starting jumps and spins and really didn't need concrete boots, but you live and learn!!! 80+ hours skating and they are no more comfortable than the day I bought them.:cry: Hope my Wifas are ready soon.......

vesperholly
02-03-2007, 02:51 PM
I'm surprised I never responded to this thread!

I have custom Klingbeils with Phantom blades. I lurve them.

I tie my laces straight for the first four hooks, then half-knot, then around the outside hook, then half-knot, bow, and I double knot the bow. My right boot has a small lace loop that I pull over the outside hooks. This was a quick and dirty solution to stop the tongue from folding down too far when I bend.

Amandaskategirl
02-03-2007, 03:19 PM
I have Graf Richmond Specials which I love! They have a good level of support and padding and were comfortable from the first wearing and easy to break in. I have John Wilson Pattern 99 blades which I like too! The big toe big seems to give me lots of stability on toe jumps and I like feeling close to the ice. I have heard that these blades are not good for spinning though and wonder what spinning on other blades would feel like.

Morgail
02-03-2007, 03:30 PM
I have SP Teri Super Teri boots with Coronation Ace blades.
I love my skates:D

Imo
02-03-2007, 03:36 PM
I have Risport Super Diamants and Coronation Comet blades. I love the boots and the blades have served me well although I'm considering a switch the next time I need new blades (but that won't be for a while yet) - not sure to what and I might just stick with the Comets, we'll see when the time comes, I guess.

Tiggerwoos
02-03-2007, 05:52 PM
Risport Super Dimantes and Coronation Ace blades... Still as good as ever from 11 years back now I've got their suppleness back and hopefully will serve me for a while yet.:)

Isk8NYC
02-03-2007, 08:18 PM
This is an old thread, but I'll update my info.

White custom Klingbeils with JW Gold Seal blades.

mikawendy
02-03-2007, 08:33 PM
Updating my info, too: Like my last pair, I'm in Jackson 2700 with MK Pro blades. I LOVE my skates. This pair is a split width: AA heel and C ball. (Previous pair were A heel and B ball.) This pair feels even better than my last pair--my toes really have enough room--no punching was needed--and my heels are really held in place.

The odd thing is that the blades on this pair are 1/4" longer than on the previous pair (9 1/4 vs 9) even though the size of the boot is the same. I've heard there can be some variation from boot to boot even for boots of the same size, so it must be that....

It feels like these have taken less time to break in--I was in them about 3 weeks before freestyle started to feel really comfortable. The previous pair took about 2 months to feel broken in, probably because the elements I was doing then were less advanced (my highest jump at that time was the sal and I was on prebronze moves; now I'm doing all singles except axel, in combination with loop, and I'm starting to learn the silver moves).

jazzpants
02-03-2007, 09:59 PM
Updating my info... I got TASHAKAT'S BOOTS!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: (Well, not exactly HER boots but one like it...) I finally skated well and long enough to know that I'm staying in the sport for the long haul. I have pronating problems and skinny ankles, which is impacting my lower back. (All those years of high impact aerobics 4 days a week plus running finally caught up with me when I tried to do bigger jumps.) Soooooo... with my secondary coach's suggestion, I got my PURPLE custom Harlicks with orthotics and a slightly shorter MK Pro blades (they're now 9-1/2's, instead of 9-3/2.) Of course, she would have recommended Coronation Aces, but I'm happy with my MK Pros so far and don't see the point of switching Coronation Aces.

I was half tempted to get the gold bling MK Gold Star blades, but I just haven't gotten to the point in my skating where I can justify spending an extra $200 for them. Besides, according to my boot guy, MK Pros will last well into doubles, are made with very good material, and will last thru many sharpenings! It's more economical in the long run, I think. 8-)

doubletoe
02-03-2007, 11:55 PM
Mikawendy, how much more did it cost to get the C ball AA heel split width? Did you have to get customs?

Casey
02-04-2007, 01:58 AM
The odd thing is that the blades on this pair are 1/4" longer than on the previous pair (9 1/4 vs 9) even though the size of the boot is the same. I've heard there can be some variation from boot to boot even for boots of the same size, so it must be that....
I think it depends on how much of an angle there is in the heel part of the sole - the more it was sanded down during production the shorter the length of the bottom of the sole will be. But perhaps the old blades just didn't go all the way to the back of the heel? They can be a bit shorter...I think the most common configuration is to leave a 1/4" or so gap between the back of the heel plate and back of the heel.

Do you notice any difference in the blade performance? My current blades are 3/4" shorter than my last ones 8O - and now if I try to skate in my old skates I can't really, but I think that may just be because the boots are very different.

skatingpanda
02-04-2007, 08:31 AM
Wifa Diamond boots and Phantom special blades.

kateskate
02-04-2007, 08:56 AM
I have Graf Richmond Special boots and John Watts Evolution blades. I LOVE them both!

blackmanskating
04-18-2007, 05:51 PM
I have Jackson Elite Plus (Suede) and Gold Seals!!!! Unless I find a better blade, (highly unlikely) I will never use anything else but Gold Seals.:D

WannabeS8r
04-18-2007, 06:24 PM
I just got my new Jackson Freestyles with Mark IV blades, which are considered to be slightly too recreational for my level, but ah wellllll. :)

Isk8NYC
04-18-2007, 06:28 PM
I just got my new Jackson Freestyles with Mark IV blades, which are considered to be slightly too recreational for my level, but ah wellllll. :)Wear 'em out, Wannabes8r! That's how I ended up buying Klingbeil's - I kept breaking down my mid-level stock Riedell's. LOL

FallDownGoBoom
04-18-2007, 07:38 PM
Jackson Competitor with the stock mirage blade.

These are my first serious (as in blades-not-permanently-attached-to-the-boots) skates.

Love, love, love.

Goldjudge3
04-18-2007, 08:02 PM
I skate in Graf Edmonton Specials with turqouise paramount 440 blades...most comfortable skate ive ever worn- the first time i wore them it was like i had them for years! unfortunatly, Ive only had the grafs for 4 months and ive already trashed them. Anyone ever have a graf rebuilt?

I also teach in pink sp-teri pro teri's (which i despise) with pink paramount 420's. maybe ill just plop a pair of blades on my ugg boots. :lol:

liz_on_ice
04-18-2007, 08:06 PM
When I picked up my new skates, I had to ask Don Klingbeil how to use those setback hooks because they were new to me. He said to use them last, but maybe it was because of my laces.

You were way smarter than me, I didn't think (or was too embarassed) to ask something so simple. :o)

I don't know that I really need custom Klingbeil's but I live all of 2 miles from the place, and they are very comfy. The star treatment is a blast.

-Liz

Kay
04-18-2007, 09:25 PM
I skate in S.P. Teri's with Pattern 99 blades and I absolutely love them. I still wear gel socks in my skates, and pre-gel socks, they were difficult to break in. Previously, I wore Gam's and Risport when I was little. I have to say, I couldn't imagine not wearing S.P.Teri's now that I have been in them for so long. ;)

mr7740
04-18-2007, 09:51 PM
I skate in custom SP Teri boots and MK Vision blades. I have had this particular pair for 10 years! I trained regularly for 2 years in them and then skated sporadically (once a week or less) until about 6 months ago when I started training for AN. Luckily I was able to get all my doubles back even though they are broken down. I hope to get new boots/blades this summer, but it seems like things have changed so much in the past ten years! I don't know if I should stay with the same or try something that might help me jump higher/spin faster (like all the ads proclaim)...

CaraSkates
04-19-2007, 07:29 AM
Mikawendy, how much more did it cost to get the C ball AA heel split width? Did you have to get customs?

I'm really interested in this also. I'm currently in Riedell Silver Stars with a MK Professional blade. I have very narrow heels and every since I started skating 3 years ago I have had trouble with them moving/lifting up especially when I spin. My boots are a B ball, A heel width (do Silver Stars just come that way?) and I have already had the heels punched IN once. I've had the boots for 14 month and when I hit the one year mark my heels started moving again. I also wear bunga pads to help with this. Other that that, I ADORE my Silver Stars - they haven't broken down yet. I'm working on the last 1/4" rotation on the axel and landing a 2sal.

southernsk8er
04-19-2007, 08:27 AM
I have custom Klingbeil with MK Professional blades. The Klingbeils were made for someone else who then decided she didn't want them, so they sat around at the rink's shop for over a year. When I went in with my size-11 foot, the Klingbeils were the only skates (in stock) in my size! So, I was really lucky that they fit, and I got 1/2 off the price :) I've had the boots for almost 2 years, very comfortable and no problems. I started with Excel blades (yuck), but quickly moved to the MK Pro parabolic, which I love.

sk8_4fun
04-19-2007, 10:51 AM
updated.
since the last entry I now skate in Wifa Synchro deluxes, with Coronation Ace blades. These were comparitively comfortable compared to my old boots and I've been lucky enough not to have had any problems whatsoever with them. I'm still breaking them in really but they have made a huge difference to my skating
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t253/jayaweena_bucket/IMG_6508b-1.jpg

WJLServo
04-19-2007, 11:28 AM
Have a pair of Gold Stars w/ Cornation Ace blades for figure skating. I'm a fairly bad figure skater, and don't really need nearly so nice a boot, but, they are the best fitting skates, hockey or figure, that I've ever skated in.

Still keep my old Graf 704 hockey skates (NT-3000 Cobra blades) sharpened and ready for those odd occasions when I feel the "need for speed." Don't have the precision of edge that I've come to love running on freestyle blades, but, boy, they do move!

Rusty Blades
04-19-2007, 12:09 PM
... When I went in with my size-11 foot <snip>

GLORY HALLELUJAH!! Someone else with REAL feet! 8O LOL!

My Jackson Elietes (size 10) were made on a "combination last" with a B heel and a D toe, which cost me all of $50 (Canadian) above standard price. (Can everybody say "DUCK FEET!"?)

Currently anxiously awaiting a pair of Jackson Proflex :mrgreen:

AshBugg44
04-19-2007, 03:04 PM
I've got custom Klingbeils with ISE Shadow blades. :) I love my skates!

flying~camel
04-19-2007, 03:14 PM
Harlick Hi-Testers with Ultima Protege blades

Previously, I skated in SP-Teri Super Teri Deluxes with Coronation Comet blades.

vesperholly
04-19-2007, 04:37 PM
whoops, wrong thread.

Sonic
04-19-2007, 05:50 PM
Hey, I never added to this lol!

Gam 70's with Coronation Ace blades - love 'em both.

S xxx

xofivebyfive
04-19-2007, 08:26 PM
I don't remember if I posted in here.. but

right now I have Super Teri CL with pattern 99 blades. I don't know how good or bad that is but I just upgraded and I think they're good for doing doubles.

skater012
04-20-2007, 08:01 PM
I was just wondering what type of skates and blades you own right now and in the past and which have been your favourite?

I where the Riedel with a G14 blade. My feet are wide so the boot fits perfectly.