View Full Version : What If?/If Only....

Black Sheep
06-30-2003, 11:05 AM
After a disappointing performance of my new Gold FS program Saturday night, this morning's practice was rather grim.

You see, I can land my axels and double jumps pretty well by themselves, because I can choose different empty spots to park them. However, when I do my program, they go right out the window because there's only certain spots I can place them so that they go with the music; and, unfortunately, there's always someone blocking my jump path (not deliberately, I know, but still....), and it's impossible to go around the obstacle without falling behind in my program.

Actually, what really scares me about knocking into someone isn't so much injury but rather getting into trouble as a result. Unfortunately, I often end up skating with a lot of kids who are taking privates and/or have their skatemoms watching. As an adult skater, I feel rather inferior to them. What if I was to run into a kid standing in my jump path while I was trying to land a decent axel/double jump in my program. I fear I that I'll get yelled at by a coach or sued by a parent. Sadly, this fear of axels and doubles in my program carries over into my performances in competitions, so I can never land them and I walk away disappointed. My coach and the judges see this, too, and tell me to stick to singles. I think to myself, I know I'd do better if I didn't have to be so paranoid....:(

Anybody else ever feel this way?

StarshineXavier
06-30-2003, 11:14 AM
As someone who towers over the rest of the skaters on my session, I feel this way sometimes too. I'm a paranoid jumper as well, and I like to have a 10 foot circle around me when I do anything higher than an axel. I fear running into kids who don't pay attention, but thankfully, I haven't...........yet.

Black Sheep, you should keep in mind a few things the next time this happens.........
1. Are you in a lesson?
2. Is the skater in your way in a lesson?
3. Is your music playing?
4. Is that skater's music playing?

If you answer yes to 1 or 3, and no to 2 or 4, then do the jump. You have the right of way then. All skaters should be aware of the rules on the session, and it almost sounds to me like they aren't aware of them. You're out there to practice as well, and they should be aware of that. I hope this helps and that you're able to practice your axels and doubles a lot more. Happy Skating!

sk8er1964
06-30-2003, 02:04 PM
I used to be the same way, until I started skating more club sessions. Then I started paying more attention to myself and less to where the kids were and you know what? Nobody's been hurt, they get out of my way when necessary, and I get out of theirs when necessary - just like I was another kid. I'm not reckless, of course, and nobody bats an eye about it.

We have the same rules mentioned by Starshine, and everyone follows them. Whoever is running their program wears an orange vest, so everybody knows who it is and is able to get out of their way - it's a good system.

I got yelled at by a skatemom from **** after one session. Her precious daughter was practicing a part of her program in the same area I was practicing part of mine. I thought we did it quite well, taking turns doing the jump. Well skatemom from **** didn't think so and came over to me, yelling that I didn't own the ice. I basically blew her off, and guess what happened after that? Nothing. Haven't seen her since, even though I have skated on the same session as her precious darling.

Stormy
07-01-2003, 02:24 PM
I also skate on sessions that are all kids, and with higher level kids I have no problems, they know to get out of the way, but when I have to skate with little kids, I hate it. They stand around and talk, don't look where they're going, will jump and spin anywhere completely oblivious of anyone around them. It's so distracting I can't focus on what I'm doing, and as a result, always have a poorer practice session because of it.
The closest rink that has Adult only sessions is 45 minutes away, unfortunately. :( I do love those, but I;m usually not in the mood to drive that much, expscially after a long day at work.

LoopLoop
07-01-2003, 03:06 PM
My freestyle sessions are predominantly kids, too, and I don't mind. Most of the kids know the rules and get out of the way when they should; sometimes they can't, especially when someone has a new program and nobody knows their patterns yet. On those occasions when someone doesn't seem to understand ice etiquette, a coach will say something to that particular skater's coach. Sometimes it's a coach who is oblivious and in the way, too. In that case I'll call out to them as I get close, and they will generally look up and move out of the way.

If you're afraid of running into someone during your program runthrough, try having your coach "clear the way" for you; he can skate a few yards ahead of you to make sure you have a path. My moves coach does that for me from time to time.

I've had a few close calls, sometimes someone else's fault, sometimes my fault. The important thing is to apologize when it is your fault and be understanding when it's not. But you're paying to be on the ice too. I just think of myself as a bigger kid...and it works out fine.

CanAmSk8ter
07-01-2003, 03:40 PM
I skate most days with two high-level teams, one dance and one pairs. Our rink has some elites and a good-sized learn-to-skate group, and not much in between. Actually, scratch that, we have a fair number of adults, but they don't usually skate at the same hours I do. Anyway, the days that it's me and the two teams, we're fine. I've been skating with them long enough that it doesn't throw me at all; we're all friendly, and we do okay. But throw an ISI kid out there, and I get almost nothing done. Some of the coaches don't seem to tell their students anything about the rules of a freestyle session. We had a little girl last week, I'd say she was about 10 y.o. and probably freestyle 1, whose idea of getting out of the way of a free dance was to move back to within six feet of the wall and watch them. They almost had to stop to avoid her- luckily, she moved all the way to the wall just in time. :roll: Did I mention that the team was a) on lesson, and b) had their music on? When I had my music on, I actually did have to stop for her- twice.

Don't get me wrong, most of the time things are fine. Even sometimes when we do have a beginner with us, if they're on lesson we usually do ok. It's just when we have a learn-to-skate or freestyle-level kid out there with us without a coach when they obviously haven't been taught etiquette or even basic safety that I get kind of stymied.

KathySkates
07-01-2003, 03:51 PM
I somtimes get flustered on a crowded freestyle session. It helps that I skate at 5:30 am. Not too many people at that hour. Though most of the kids I skate with are great, I occasionally run into a couple that are horrible. My first coach used to tell me "You're money is just as green as theirs." Truer words were never spoken!

I am sometimes FORCED by my present coach to skate at another rink. Management takes a kind of handsoff approach. There is kicking, cursing and screaming. One kid (very high level skater) and I were crossing paths and this skater said "What the ****?" At that point, I had really had it and turned around and told the youngster "You watch your mouth!" I teach middle school in a gang infested neighborhood so I used my best hallway bellow. It worked.

I feel sorry for the kids sometimes, even the freshmouths. They have so much pressure on them that they cannot handle the pressure and the frustration. So many kids just cannot enjoy the sport. Such a shame.

As far as those little princes/princesses who think they own the place: Yes, I know that landing your triple is important but my puny axel is just as important to me. Oh and see that guy over there? His three turn means the world to him! So get a grip sweetie.

DancinDiva
07-01-2003, 05:06 PM
Here's one topic I can certainly relate to! I started skating in an adult class this January. I could pay either $100 for 15 lessons, or $160 for the 15 lessons plus one 45 minute freestyle session per week. I chose to pay for the extra freestyle sessions, but only went to the first one. Adult skaters have to skate during the Basic 1-6 freestyle session, so there were mostly little kids there. They didn't seem to mind having me on the ice with them (although they also didn't really make an effort to stay out of my way, and it was up to me to avoid collisions), but their mothers gave me death stares all session. It was like they thought I was going to run down all their darlings and ruin their chances for Olympic glory. Now, first of all, I'm not an advanced skater, I'm a beginner. All I was practicing was foward crossovers. It's not like I was trying triple jumps around all these little darlings. And all the kids were doing was basically chasing each other around, playing tag. It seems they posed more of a danger than I did. But the mothers didn't see it that way. They just glared at me. They made me so uncomfortable, I never went back to those sessions and couldn't get my $60 back.

dbny
07-01-2003, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by DancinDiva
Adult skaters have to skate during the Basic 1-6 freestyle session, so there were mostly little kids there. .... And all the kids were doing was basically chasing each other around, playing tag. It seems they posed more of a danger than I did. But the mothers didn't see it that way. They just glared at me. They made me so uncomfortable, I never went back to those sessions and couldn't get my $60 back.

If there is anything I learned from working at a Basic Skills session, it is that it is impossible to do almost anything in the freeskate area. The kids at the basic levels don't have a clue about patterns, and many are too young to know how to be careful in such an unstructured environment. They are lucky if they know how to cross a one way street safely. IMO, the moms are mostly afraid that their kids may get hurt (my perspective as a mom), and are well aware of the dangers of sharp blades and the adults' larger size. Still no excuse to glare at you. We would have prorated a refund for you!

DancinDiva
07-01-2003, 09:13 PM
I understand the concern for one's children. If/when I have kids, I'll worry about their safety as well. But these mothers, sheesh! They acted like I was taking up valuable space that could have been better used by their future Olympians. Honestly, I doubt we'll see any of those kids having much success in the higher rankings, they are just skating for fun. But you can't tell that to the mothers! GRRRR, they just bug me, and there are not too many people that really truly bother me.

Black Sheep
07-01-2003, 09:40 PM
Actually, I had an unfortunate incident just this afternoon. I was nearing the end of my program, and I was out-of-breath enough that I couldn't think straight. Anyway, as I was heading into my final spin, this little girl was standing right in my spot. As I struggled to get the spin in right, I stuck my hand out and tried to wave her out of the way, but ended up hitting her instead! She didn't seem hurt, but her coach was livid enough to say, "You know, you never hit anyone like that!"

I was tearfully devastated at that. I'd worked so hard to be a good and polite skater and person at this rink, now I'd blown it--or so I thought. Fortunately, the person in charge of the session was very nice. She said, "Don't feel bad. Little kids have to learn to watch out for others at some point, better sooner than later. Also, that coach gets mad at everyone--even at me."

Debbie S
07-01-2003, 10:35 PM
When I first started skating the freestyle sessions at my rink, I was intimidated by the young skaters (in the 10-13 range). But as time has gone on, I just take the mindset that my jumps and spins are just as important as theirs. If they're doing their run-through to music, of course I watch where they're going and stay out of their way, but I don't just move away if I see them coming when they're just practicing. Once, a coach asked if I could move to another part of the rink for a few minutes - I was practicing a 3-turn and spiral sequence along a circle - because a student of his was working on a new jump and he wanted her to have that area to practice it. I did and he thanked me.

I think it helps to complement a kid, especially a little one, on their run-through, or a particular jump or spin, if they've done it well. They and their parents warm up to you. Of course, there are always going to be skatemoms that get annoyed with everyone, including their own children. Just ignore them.

I do get frustrated in crowded freestyle sessions. It is hard to watch everyone else and try to find a place to get your jumps in, but I try to find a piece of ice that's available and stand my ground. I'll take turns with people, and I'll apologize if I get in someone's path and prevent them from doing something, but I've reached a point where I ignore the kids that glare at me b/c they have to go around me as they practice. Hey, I paid for this session, too. Life sucks, get over it.

dooobedooo
07-02-2003, 03:20 AM
Er ... what's wrong with a bright friendly smile and a moderately loud "Excuse me" or "program" or even "watch out - jumpname coming" ? Works for me ....

Black Sheep
07-02-2003, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by dooobedooo
Er ... what's wrong with a bright friendly smile and a moderately loud "Excuse me" or "program" or even "watch out - jumpname coming" ? Works for me ....

This incident happened at the end of my program, and I was too exhausted to talk or think straight, and I was panting so hard. I'm not an evil person, honest.

Black Sheep
07-02-2003, 09:39 PM
If anybody is still holding a grudge against me when/if I go back tomorrow, I'll have to change rinks again. I worked so hard to be a good skater and a good person, and I seem to have screwed it up with one lousy mistake. :roll:

Mrs Redboots
07-03-2003, 07:34 AM
I'm quite sure nobody will be holding a grudge against you. I expect they've quite forgotten the incident by now, and will be busy concentrating on their own skating - something, if you don't mind my saying so, you might be better off doing than stressing out about what people may or may not be thinking of you!

Black Sheep
07-03-2003, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by Mrs Redboots
I'm quite sure nobody will be holding a grudge against you. I expect they've quite forgotten the incident by now, and will be busy concentrating on their own skating - something, if you don't mind my saying so, you might be better off doing than stressing out about what people may or may not be thinking of you!

Sounds like a great idea! 8-)

Figureskates
07-03-2003, 10:35 AM
Where to begin...

I am:

1)The oldest out on the ice by far.
2) The only male usually.

During the winter season at my usual rink there is no problem since most of the kids know me and they actually make it a point to stay out of my way. I know most of their patterns so it really works out great. Also lot of the younger skaters thinks it's kind of cool that an older adult is out there learning jumps.

It is a different story in the summer where I take lessons at a different rink. In the last 2 weeks I have had 3 near misses. My coach now runs intereference so the problem has improved.

Best laugh I had was from a very large woman whose little precious was out on the ice near where I was having my lesson. She asked me whether I was a little old to be figure skating. I thought of a million comeback lines but took the high ground and said, "no".