View Full Version : changing blades?

JDC1
06-29-2003, 05:59 PM
How do you know which type blade is best for you and when you should change blades? This may sound weird but it feels like my blades are too short? Is that possible? I have the same type of blades I've had since I began skating and my coach doesn't think I need to change nor did my fitter but I swear that it FEELS like my blades are too short. I also have found that when they're sharpened I have a problem with my weight being on the back of the blade. Anyhoo, thanks for any input. :-)

Elsy2
06-29-2003, 08:28 PM
Hmmm....after numerous sharpening of my old Aces, I felt like I was always falling off the back of my blades. I think part of this was that a few bad sharpenings had rounded the back of the blade some. The other part was simply that I needed a flatter blade for more stability. After much agonizing about it, I switched blades and am very happy. For whatever reason the tails of my Ultimas seem much longer than the Aces, but I don't think the difference is that much.

JDC1
06-30-2003, 07:21 AM
Thanks Elsy2. I was wondering if the most recent skating on "the back of my blades" had to do with the sharpener, he's a nice guy but I don't think he's quite as knowledgable as another guy I usually use. I'd like to upgrade my blade it's just a matter of money and figuring out which one to go to next.

candace
06-30-2003, 08:24 PM
JDC1, What I do with my students I let them go to two different sharpers and see which on they like the best and stick with the one that is the most knowledgable on skate sharping. I also go up levels in blades when I think they need it. I have some of my little kids in Ace than I put them in to Comet than I go to Pattern 99. That is what I had when I skated and I still have. I really like this blade a lot. Hope this may help you.