View Full Version : Eville ice dance steps

Aussie Willy
06-28-2003, 11:25 PM
Okay what step really trips you up in a dance? You can do the rest of the dance but you get to that particular step and you just have to stop.

I find the twizzle in the Argentine tango is my nemisis. I just cannot do it cleanly on one foot. I always have to slow down and do a slight touchdown with my right foot to set my shoulders up before the twizzle.

However over time I have come to terms with the Blues choctaw and Foxtrot mohawk.

jenlyon60
06-29-2003, 04:41 AM
my current nemisis is the rocker foxtrot variant of the closed mohawk. I can do it fine solo, but when I skate it with my coach, the results are always unpredictable.

Currently fighting a right knee injury that I think came from having problems on the mohawk.

Mrs Redboots
06-29-2003, 09:26 AM
More than I can mention!

I still have trouble with the 3-turn at the start of any dance; I tend to bottle it, which means I slow down, which means I'm behind my partner, which means it's impossible!

In the Swing Dance, I have trouble not rushing the Mohawk.
In the Riverside Rhumba, I have trouble not leaning on my partner in the change of hold.
In the Fiesta Tango, I have trouble not looking terrified of the Mohawk - I'm not that scared of it..... I also have trouble with the edge after it - I am often still slightly off-balance, and can't extend.
In the Willow Waltz, I almost always bottle the RFO3 unless I'm with a partner who can put me in the right place.
Ditto the LFO3 at the end of the Festival Cha-Cha, which doesn't matter for social dancing, but does for RIDL matches - the only time I've ever done it was with a partner who let go of me in such a position that it was easier to do it than not to!
In the Starlight Waltz - not that I dance it, but I've walked through it - I just don't see how you go from those 3-turns into that first Mohawk! My body just doesn't do that!
Every judge I've ever spoken to tells me my timing in the Rhythm Blues is off. But they never tell me where......
And in any dance, if I'm nervous, I rush the steps.....

Skatingsarah
06-29-2003, 10:25 AM
Oh I'm starting dance again in the summer sessions so this spring I got my break from all those evil edges and what not.
In the Winter the Nemisis was the Chac-taw in the rhumba, some how I managed to cover it up or I should say the partner managed to cover it up lol and still passed , amazingly. I'm sure I will have alot of nemisis moves this summer with the rest of the dances I will keep ya posted!
-Sarah

dancing_queen
06-29-2003, 11:25 AM
i have alot of trouble with the mowhawk in the keats foxtrot:oops:

Magz
06-29-2003, 04:39 PM
i almost always trip or am off time on...wait this is pathetic...the forward progressive right before the mohawk in the willow waltz...i've been corrected so many times on that lol

StarshineXavier
06-29-2003, 05:38 PM
They're not really a nemesis, but I don't like the twizzle in the Argentine either, or the swing rocker in the Westminister. I hated the choctaw in the Blues, but now that I'm past it, I don't care to think about it, or do it anymore. About 2 weeks before I tested the Blues, I was able to do the choctaw, and once I passed it, I haven't done it and I have no plans to.

With the way the dance tests are in Canada, I think that I might just by-pass the Argentine, and do the Silver Samba instead, so I won't have to do any twizzles!;)

CanAmSk8ter
06-29-2003, 06:07 PM
I've finally gotten over my block with the Rocker mohawk (although I'm still only about 95% comfortable partnering it). In the last few days I've started to really get the hang of the back change-edge in the Paso Doble too. I still have trouble with the Starlight, which I've only had like one fifteen-minute lesson on. My coach hasn't taught the Starlight in so long he couldn't remember all the girl's steps, LOL. But I have a hard time with the RBO swing roll into the LFI mohawk. I also hate the choctaw in the Rhumba and the Kilian. The choctaw in the Kilian is my absolute nemisis. I feel so stupid, b/c it's not really a hard dance! I just can't do the choctaw that fast. :evil:

Layback
06-29-2003, 06:17 PM
hey canamsk8r...i hear you about the kilian choctaw. on test i TRIPPED my partner...we recovered and i of course failed. i never feel i am in the right place for that turn.

i dont mind the arg. twizzle. i actually like it a whole lot. now, the timing of the progressives in the viennese waltz really bug me. i am usually too slow. ahhhhh and i can't remember the steps anymore but on the second side of the dance i recall the lady does some crossrolls forwards? i DESPISED THOSE. hehe...so glad i passed my gold dances!

Aussie Willy
06-30-2003, 03:53 AM
Annabel - after many years I finally can do the 3 turns at the start of most dancers - however it took me a really long time to get there. Now I can do the 3 turn pretty well and stand up on a good BI edge after it. And I agree about the Fiesta Tango mohawks. That dance just gives me the yips. Mainly because I do not have good turnout on the left foot and when I was learning it years to potentially do it in a test I got it drummed into me about keeping it turned out and just cannot do it.

Mrs Redboots
06-30-2003, 04:55 AM
Originally posted by Aussie Willy
Annabel - after many years I finally can do the 3 turns at the start of most dancers - however it took me a really long time to get there. Now I can do the 3 turn pretty well and stand up on a good BI edge after it. Once I've turned it, it's fine; it's just the thought...... And I agree about the Fiesta Tango mohawks. That dance just gives me the yips. Mainly because I do not have good turnout on the left foot and when I was learning it years to potentially do it in a test I got it drummed into me about keeping it turned out and just cannot do it. I find that the easiest Mohawk of all, but twice in competition Robert's had my feet out from under me on the change of edge. Watching the video of us skating it at this year's Mountain Cup, it's noticeable that I relax and do a far better Mohawk after the 3rd and last change of edge, when he hasn't knocked me over, and now won't! :P And I still find it difficult to get the next edge - quite apart from the fact that it's an inside edge, which I tend to forget...... :oops:

kayskate
06-30-2003, 05:29 AM
I am only working on the Bronze dances right now, so I am not very advanced. However, my FS skills are quite strong. This leads to an embarrassing problem. I am a CW skater. Although I do MITF, I still struggle putting CCW turns into context of a step sequence. So I choke on opening CCW 3turns and the CCW 3turn in the Hickory Hoedown. I finally have the Mohawks in the Swing Dance and Fiesta Tango.

Kay

rinsk
06-30-2003, 10:21 PM
Trip-up steps:

Westminister: swing roocker and all that comes after (I screech to a halt and hop onto what I hope but usually isn't an inside edge and then I just can't pick up any flow and walk the rest of the dance.

Quickstep: I can't step forward after the sequence.

Rhumba: oddly, I can do the choctaws. However, I can't do the three-turn after the choctaws.

Starlight waltz: I just plain old trip anywhere. I'm willing to bet that this may be the dance that I have spent the most time on my rear end during (I like to sit down on back chasses, step on my blade on the inside mohawk sequence and get caught on the damn cross behind...).

singerskates
07-01-2003, 02:53 AM
Originally posted by Aussie Willy
And I agree about the Fiesta Tango mohawks. That dance just gives me the yips. Mainly because I do not have good turnout on the left foot and when I was learning it years to potentially do it in a test I got it drummed into me about keeping it turned out and just cannot do it.

What, the mohawks in the Fiesta are easy. The only thing I have trouble with is pushing hard enough consistantly enough on the backward steps after the mohawk. Sometimes I'm on and sometimes I'm not. Also the step from backwards to forwards on inside edge is not smooth. Sometimes I'm not getting a fast enough step to go far enough in the pattern after the inside closed mohawk or sometimes I over shoot.

I haven't tried the willow yet but I know I'll have trouble with the RFO3's unless I fix the RFO3. Talking about 3's, I have to fix my LFI3's too. Skating CW is so un natural for me.

I want to pass my Junior bronze dances this year, so I can be free of those "Eville ice dance steps. ". After JB is done, I'm just sticking with interpretive FS and FS. Maybe when I'm in my 60's I'll go back to dances and try to finish them starting with the senior bronze dances.

Aussie Willy
07-01-2003, 04:22 AM
Originally posted by singerskates
What, the mohawks in the Fiesta are easy.

I actually don't have trouble with the type of mohawk normally but when trying to do it correctly for the dance (as I said working on it to potentially doing it for the test) it can be frustrating if you don't have good turnout. Particularly when doing it with a partner.

Synchronized
07-02-2003, 01:58 PM
The Westminster is just the devil. (I hate that dance- i'm so glad I passed it on the first try and got it over with)

I can give you a suggestion for the Argentine. I know that twizzle can be a pain. Take your outside edge swing roll really deep, that helps. As well count it one, two, three, four, (and), one. Do the turn on the and. It will make it snap, and generally make it easier.
For me I didn't mind the twizzle on the dance, it was the back crossrolls that were a pain.

MyTripleFlutz
07-04-2003, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by jenlyon60
my current nemisis is the rocker foxtrot variant of the closed mohawk. I can do it fine solo, but when I skate it with my coach, the results are always unpredictable.

I used to struggle with this mohawk too, it seems like it should be SO easy.. but no, it's tricky. But I learned a trick one day that made it just as easy as it looks. When you're approaching the mohawk, think about putting your feet in a "T" position with your right foot as the top part. You'll find that your feet are lined up perfectly for the edge. It's crazy how easy it becomes.

hope that helps!