View Full Version : Free skaters - would you take up Dance? have you?

TashaKat
06-26-2002, 06:58 AM
Following a conversation on Yahoo icedancers I thought that I'd ask the same question here.

For FREE SKATERS:

Do you do Dance as well? Why did you take it up?

If you DON'T do Dance ... WOULD you take it up? Why/why not?

Ta

L x

twinkle
06-26-2002, 08:29 AM
I can't answer the poll as my option isn't on there.

I had done dance for several years as well as free and had been credited with old inter-bronze compulsories because I passed old-old novice and prelim. I was also working on Canasta Tango and Foxtrot variations and a free dance.

When I changed coaches I had to give up dance as my new coach only did free. I sometimes miss it, and I liked doing the easier compulsories but I wasn't brave enough to really get anywhere, I find jumping less scary than dance!

kar5162
06-26-2002, 10:57 AM
I've been interested in trying dance for a while as I'd really like to be a better skater and think that it would help my tendency to slow down significantly before doing something I don't want to do. :) But with limited time and money (not to mention the very limited availability of my preferred coach), it hasn't been possible yet. However, I'm thinking I may be ready to test Intermediate moves late summer/early fall and then am planning on starting. I figure Novice may take forever, so there's no rush there :) and I may as well replace MIF as a warm-up with dance. Hopefully I can get the coach before he's fully booked.

Edited to add - This decision would be a lot easier if the music wasn't so awful.

Kelli
06-26-2002, 06:57 PM
Sure, I would do dance. Figureskates can take my physics tests, now I just need someone to volunteer to pay for lessons. :P

Figureskates
06-26-2002, 07:01 PM
Kelli, would that be quantum or nuclear?

CanAmSk8ter
06-26-2002, 09:27 PM
I do only dance, because there are only twenty-four hours in a day and I can only spend so many of them on the ice- and I like dance better. Even in Learn-to-Skate, while my classmates said they wanted to skate like Kristi Yamaguchi or Nancy Kerrigan, I wanted to skate like Maya Usova- really!

blue111moon
06-27-2002, 06:34 AM
I tried dance - several times, with different coaches, if fact - and disliked it immensely. Add to that the lack of dance ice in my area, the lack of a partner, and the shortage of funds and time, and I doubt that I will ever pursue dance in the foreseeable future. I might do it if someone paid me to, but since that's not likely to happen, I can safely say that I don't do dance.

melanieuk
06-27-2002, 07:54 AM
I would do dance, I've thought about it, it would improve my skating.
It's just that I don't have any spare time nor money just now. :roll:

Yazmeen
06-27-2002, 08:58 AM
Tell you what figureskates: You do her quantum, I 'll take the nuclear for her!!!

KathySkates
06-27-2002, 05:05 PM
Last year, I had the opportunity to watch Bourne and Kratz train along with some other top level dancers. I have been a free skater for many years and always thought that I didn't have time for dance. Nevertheless, I was so taken with what I witnessed from those dancers that I said to heck with it and started in Sept.
Dance has made a temendous improvement in all areas of my skating. Yes, edges and posture are better but JUMPS! They are much better. Axels much higher now that I am bending my knees trying to be a dancer! I say to anyone =- DO IT!
Warm Regards,
Kathleen :D

Figureskates
06-27-2002, 06:32 PM
Yazmeen, sounds like a deal to me...maybe in return she could give me a lesson or two. She is fun to watch skating...

Mazurka Girl
07-11-2002, 02:22 PM
Dance. Been there & done that. Not as much fun as freestyle, so I haven't continued to do it.

Terri C
07-11-2002, 03:18 PM
In three weeks, I'll get my first taste of dance at a Adult Skating Camp. To prepare me for this my secondary coach will be giving me a " dance cram" or what I call " Dance for Dummies"! LOL!