View Full Version : how do you know which skates to buy?

bbtano
06-28-2003, 10:03 PM
I know you guys have probably done tons of threads about skates and blades, but please humor me (or give me the links to the posts you've already made?)

A friend of mine is taking lessons in rentals. I'm trying to get him to invest in his own skates because I think he could really improve if he didn't have to readjust to a different pair of rentals each time he skates. So, I've been looking at different brands and prices on the net a little bit.

I was wondering what brand/model of skates and blades some of you would recommend. He is landing single jumps and working on a few doubles. Which boots would offer the support he needs, but also be cheap enough he could afford them! LOL

Thanks!

sk8er1964
06-28-2003, 10:19 PM
Doubles in rentals??!! Wow.

It really depends on his foot type and his pocketbook. I swear by my Klingbeils - nice and easy to break in, fit perfectly right away, etc. I was able to get into stock boots - what I'm in (recommended by my fitter for someone doing doubles) cost around $800 for boots and blades. When I was a kid, with narrower feet, I skated in Reidells and did doubles. My first adult skates were Reidell Gold Star boots/Coronation Ace blades (also suitable for beginning doubles) and they cost around $450. Much harder to break in, though. I understand Reidell has come out with new models lately. They generally are good, reasonably priced skates. (Chances are the rentals he's using are Reidells, if you are in the US).

Skatingsarah
06-29-2003, 10:15 AM
I started off as a kid with Jacksons, they have been really improving over the years. I dont know what the prices are like now but they seemed to be the way to go.
-Sarah

pennybeagle
06-29-2003, 02:31 PM
From what I have heard (and please correct me if I am wrong):

BOOTS:
Stock Reidells are good if you have narrow feet. If you have wider feet, then Jacksons, SP Teris, or Harlicks may be better. SP Teri makes stock skates with different widths in the ball and heel. I don't know enough about Grafs to comment on them.

Stock Jacksons are heat-moldable and extremely comfortable. I am currently skating in Jackson Elites...I used to be in Reidells, but find Jacksons SO much more comfortable and right for my feet. But then again, every foot is different. Jacksons are a bit cheaper than Reidells or SP Teris (at least at my pro shop).

Stock boots can run anywere from $200-400 for the boots without the blades. I do not recommend a boot with an attached blade for any skater working on doubles. My Jackson Elites were around $200.

Klingbeils are custom-made for your foot. I have heard very mixed reviews. Half of the people I talk to about skates LOVE their Klingbeils and swear they would never skate in anything else. The other half of the people HATE Klingbeils and swear they would never skate in them again. I have not met too many people lukewarm in their opinions about Klingbeils.

If you are willing to put out the money, any skate maker will make a custom boot. Most people I know with custom boots have Klingbeils, Harlicks, or Reidells. Custom boots can be extremely expensive.

BLADES:
I am extremely shocked to hear that your friend is landing doubles in rental blades, which are not designed for jumping and are often sharpened wrong (I have seen many rental figure skates sharpened like hockey skates!). But for someone working on single and double jumps...

Coronation Ace, Coronation Comet, MK Professional are all blades that are common among beginner freestylers, used up to axels and doubles (sometimes beyond). These blades run around $200-250, I think.

The next step up, for doubles and beyond, are: Pattern 99, Phantom, Gold Seals, and Ultima Freestyles (I am not sure about the Ultimas...I am not too familiar with them).
These blades run somewhere around $270-400.

MY TWO CENTS:
Skates and blades are not cheap. However, I would say that it is extremely important to get good skates with proper ankle support, a good jumping (and landing!) toe pick, and properly sharpened blades for ANYONE who is jumping. Especially for anyone trying doubles. The risk of injury is far too great to be messing around in rentals...just think that it would be better to shell out the money for good skates than to pay a doctor or hospital. A good pair of used skates would be better than rentals (provided that they are skates meant for jumping and not recreational skates).

One final word--make sure that the boots and blades FIT if your friend is going to purchase. Too many people get boots that are about a size too big. I wear a street shoe size 7.5-8.0 and wear a size 6.0 Jackson Elite skate. My first Reidell Gold Stars were size 6.5 or 7.0 and within a half year my feet were moving around inside my skate, especially in camel spins.

Sorry for being long-winded, and happy skating!;)

Debbie S
06-29-2003, 04:45 PM
Great summary, pennybeagle. If you don't mind, I wanted to add that Harlicks are actually best for people with narrow feet. Although most "narrow" skates like Riedells and Harlicks are made in large widths, the key is the difference between your heel width and ball width. Those 2 brands tend to be best if there's not a lot of difference. SP-Teris are more accommodating for people for whom the ball of the foot is wide relative to their heel. I am one of those people and just got SP-Teris. My previous skates were GAMs which were too narrow for me. In fact, my A width SP-Teris are wider than the B width GAMs. SP-Teri will also do a split width for about $50-$60 extra (but only one width difference - if you require the ball to be 2 widths larger than the heel, you need a custom). As pennybeagle said, Jacksons are also good for people with wide fet, but the heels also tend to be wide, so if you have a narrow heel, your heel wouldn't fit securely in the boot.

My MK Pro blades were $177. I could have also gotten the Coronation Ace blades (they're basically the same skating level - singles and a few doubles) for $185. The next step up in MK are the Vision blades, and they are over $200. I do however, know some adults that are in Phantoms (the highest level) and are only doing doubles. The important thing is not to get a blade where the toe pick is a lot bigger than what you're used to - otherwise, you'll find yourself scraping a lot, as well as tripping. It's best to work your way up gradually. I started with the MK Double Star blades, which are designed for beginning freestyle (single jumps) skaters.

My understanding is that Klingbeils have a set price of $495, which is cheaper than most customs. But your friend could probably find boots for his level that are cheaper. Keep in mind that the level of boot support needed is determined by not only what skills someone is working on, but their size. People who, um, bear a lot of weight on their skates often need a little more support than someone else at their skill level might, or else the boots might break down too quickly.

bbtano
06-29-2003, 05:10 PM
Thank you so much! You guys are awesome! :D

GoldieMedal
07-04-2003, 04:21 PM
Hi there, I just wanted to say that Riedell and Gam boots do come in wide widths.My daughter has a Comp in a C width and I the mom skate in a Gam boot with a D width and these are not special ordered boots.Most Suppliers will not mention or stock the wider widths...thus making the public believe that only narrow width skates are made in these models.
I hope this helps.

96.23??
07-05-2003, 10:42 AM
I have wide feet and I'm skating in Grafs.

babybear143
07-06-2003, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by 96.23??
I have wide feet and I'm skating in Grafs.

me 2!! well i auctually got my new grafs a couple weeks ago and i love them to death!! my old skates (riedells) were to narrow for my feet and i also have no arch in my feet so grafs are good for that!!

Sylvia
07-06-2003, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by bbtano
I know you guys have probably done tons of threads about skates and blades, but please humor me (or give me the links to the posts you've already made?)

A friend of mine is taking lessons in rentals. I'm trying to get him to invest in his own skates because I think he could really improve if he didn't have to readjust to a different pair of rentals each time he skates.
He is landing single jumps and working on a few doubles.

http://www.usfsa.org/news/2002-03/solonoski-story.htm

I couldn't resist reposting this article about Michael Solonoski who, as a late beginner skater at 14, attempted double toe loops in rental skates. Some excerpts:
“I looked out on the ice and saw this boy doing his version of double toe loops in rental skates. It was the most amazing thing I had ever seen,”
“Val told me I had to make a decision at that point to continue skating or not, and to buy my own skates before I broke an ankle,” said Solonoski, who soon began skating on freestyle sessions.