View Full Version : Preparing for Competition

Mrs Redboots
06-25-2003, 06:22 AM
So tomorrow and Friday we have one of the biggest, if not the biggest, Adult competitions in the UK. So I was wondering, how do you folk prepare for competition? Off the ice, I mean. I've done all I can on it, and today I am cooking a chicken for our picnic lunch. I will also sort out all that I shall need for both days, make sure that anything which needs ironing or mending gets attention, and that everything is ready to pick up in a hurry in the morning.

And I must do my nails, even though the manicure I gave myself last Friday seems to be lasting. I think I might also give myself a pedicure, cut my toenails and re-varnish them, and give myself a foot and hand massage.

Oh, and get my husband to apply fake tan to my back, as I shall be wearing the dress with a cut-out tomorrow!

What sort of things do you do to prepare?

mary
06-25-2003, 07:29 AM
Get the skates sharpened about a week before but most importantly, say the rosary!

singerskates
06-25-2003, 04:35 PM
Stretch more, relax, Visualize programs and listen to your program music and hang. Make sure your skate bag is packed with extra set of laces, screw driver incase blade gets loose, pain pills in case you get a headache or pull or strain something during a warm up, extra outfit, extra tights, make sure your skates are clean, make sure your skate guards on not broken, pack make up in skate bag, pack liquid soap to wash your hands (many arenas don't have soap) and check your hubby's skate bag too.

Brigitte

flo
06-26-2003, 11:14 AM
Good Luck!
What do you usually do to prepare? It seems you have done pretty well with your former competitions! Even though this may be a large event, keep your preparations to what has worked well for you, and don't alter your routine too much.
Enjoy!

Raine
06-26-2003, 03:23 PM
Best wishes and enjoy the event! I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time. Sounds like you're ready. Let us know how you do. I'd be interested, too, in finding out how many competitors altogether competed at this event.

Happy skating,
Raine

Black Sheep
06-26-2003, 06:05 PM
I find it helps to not overpractice and get some extra sleep. I'm doing that this week because I "compete" this Saturday at 9:18 p.m. (I'm "against the book", so I can't understand why it has to be so late in the evening....). 8-)

jenlyon60
06-26-2003, 06:31 PM
It helps NOT to be in charge of hospitality and be skating in the same competition.

skaternum
06-26-2003, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by jenlyon60
It helps NOT to be in charge of hospitality and be skating in the same competition.

You said it! I know you did this at your club's adult comp, and I recently did this at my club's comp. It's exhausting! You can't really concentrate well on anything.

Mrs Redboots
06-28-2003, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by jenlyon60
It helps NOT to be in charge of hospitality and be skating in the same competition. Oh, I don't know - it may be exhausting, but the woman who organised Bracknell managed to win two of the classes she'd entered..... she was skating better than ever! And I don't mind (see other thread) if those skaters who skate with her regularly tell her I said so!!! :)

NickiT
06-29-2003, 05:11 AM
Originally posted by Mrs Redboots
Oh, I don't know - it may be exhausting, but the woman who organised Bracknell managed to win two of the classes she'd entered..... she was skating better than ever! And I don't mind (see other thread) if those skaters who skate with her regularly tell her I said so!!! :)

I totally agree Annabel. Sue is truly amazing!!! I bet she is well and truly shattered now mind!!!

And I just loved your Jake the Peg entry. It was hilarious. Well done!!!

Nicki

Mrs Redboots
06-29-2003, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by NickiT
And I just loved your Jake the Peg entry. It was hilarious. Well done!!! Thanks. It was nearly disastrous, as Jake's foot had collapsed - probably on the journey home from the Mountain Cup - and Robert had to ask round for a screwdriver to mend it. He lasted long enough to do the number, but I am thankful it was his last outing!

Black Sheep
06-29-2003, 04:07 PM
Actually, I ended up guzzling dose after dose of Pepto Bismol for two days before skating last night (you do the math). 8-)

LoopLoop
06-30-2003, 07:40 AM
I have a new trick... have an enormous wipeout the day before competing. That way instead of being nervous, you just think to yourself "there's no way it will be as bad as yesterday."

Synchronized
07-02-2003, 02:14 PM
I have to go grocery shopping. I buy this outrageous amount of food and bring it along to my competitions. Except for synchro we have a food room so I don't need to bring as much. I don't know something about the grocery shopping make me really excited. That and going to a pharmacy and buying all my hair supplies, and usually going to get a pair of pyjamas for in the hotel rooms. All in all nothing to do with the actually skating, just things I need to do before I leave.
Wow this is getting me excited but I don't compete for a long time.

Magz
07-02-2003, 05:18 PM
i can never sleep extra (or at all) before competitions...im always super nervous. I always try to run-through the program in my mind and tell myself that it doesnt matter if i win or not. i always bleach my laces the night before and clean my skates then put them in my bag.

skater247
07-07-2003, 04:41 PM
i always eat pasta before to give me energy out on the ice and then i go see my coaches at the rink and stretch jump rope stretch again then do a little on my twister and then i do some jumps off ice