View Full Version : Marvellous or Hideous: Lessons & Practices June 23-29, 2003

sk8er1964
06-23-2003, 03:15 PM
I know last week's thread technically runs through today, but with it being Monday I thought I'd start a new one.

Marvellous: My son and I had the entire ice rink all to ourselves for an hour and 1/2 today. What fun! :D :D

Hideous: Brackets, but that's my usual sob story lately :roll: .

Michigansk8er
06-23-2003, 07:38 PM
Actually, nothing has been marvelous lately. I'm the most program challenged person on earth. My coach's comment today......"that was horrible". Hey, what do you expect from an old lady at 6:00am? I'm the queen of excuses. Marvelous at that!!! :D

Hideous: Program.........start to finish (choreography was just finished last week...........and I'm still not jumping or doing flying spins, so you'd think what is left would be excellent........sigh)

Marvelous: I decided to try a lutz today to see how my back could take it. The jump felt GREAT!!!! The back stayed the same, so that is good news too. I'm not out of the woods, but hopefully I can start jumping a little bit (my doctor wants me to try). Yay!!!!! :D

luna_skater
06-23-2003, 10:09 PM
Hideous: My memory!! Two more lessons till test day, so hopefully I can get the steps pounded into my head by then. I had them going pretty well, but the last two lessons we've done the dances in actual partner position, and I'm concentrating so hard on being in the right place that my feet don't know what to do anymore. Overall, I just didn't feel like I had good rhythm today, either. RFO threes have decided to fly the coop again, as well.

And, I can't WAIT until July when I am on dance sessions, instead of dodging skaters who are doing jumps and spins.

Marvellous: Open and closed mohawks are doing quite nicely. Patterns feel good by themselves, so I just have get over the partnering issue.

MissIndigo
06-23-2003, 10:52 PM
Hideous:

Jumps...all of them. My timing was completely off, even on my trusty salchow. I am frustrated but not surprised...when other matters in life are stressful for me, it's going to show up in my skating, and in my jumps first. I will be glad when this period of madness passes in school.

Sit spin sucked today. What's new.

Marvellous:

Other Spins! I must get my hands on a digital camera so I can take some pics of my spin tracings...they are more centered than ever. My camels were ok, not as fast as last week but still good. Coach says I finally have the layback now, and we played around with camel/layback combinations.

I can't quite figure out why these two spins came so easily to me, and before the sit spin.:?:

TreSk8sAZ
06-24-2003, 01:05 AM
Hideous:
I swear! As soon as I have one element, something else must go. Sit spins went far, far away today (and yesterday... and Friday). I really don't know why, either. Lesson on Wednesday, hopefully will figure it out then. 5-step mohawk sequence wasn't quite as clean as it needs to be, but nothing major.

Marvellous:
Loop is incredibly consistant, flip is getting there. Dances feel great, just need to add arms for the competition and perfect little things.
The best thing though: One of the ladies at Coffee Club helped with my lutz edge. Once I got that down, I thought well, why not try a half lutz? So I did the approach and all, picked, and accidentally basically landed a full lutz. I was so excited! I've never been comfortable on half jumps, full revs just come more easily. I completely surprised myself on this one, and the best part is I have witnesses! :lol:

TashaKat
06-24-2003, 02:23 AM
Mmmm .... in group lesson the coach who taught us (ours was off) is actually further down the test stream than me!! This WOULDN'T be a problem except that they are treating me like a beginner when they KNOW what I can do ......

I'm still not addicted, I'm still not that bothered! The will is there but everything else is very weak :(

Hoping that things are a bit better this week :?:

x

icenut84
06-24-2003, 06:03 AM
I don't think I've skated for about 2.5 weeks! 8O Not writing up a lesson/practice here, but just wanted to say that when I was stretching yesterday, I went into the spiral position and looked back and my leg was way higher than normal!! I've never really been able to get my free leg much above parallel (maybe a tiny bit, that's it) but yesterday, it was nearly a foot higher!! :D Maybe my stretching's finally paying off 8-) Just have to see if that happens when I'm on the ice now...

JDC1
06-24-2003, 08:29 AM
Lesson was rather low key as I wasn't feeling like the energizer bunny.

Hideous - my coordination!! I am so not visual when it comes to skating.

Marvellous - made up some ground on my salchow, actually felt the leg go around the body.

Figureskates
06-24-2003, 01:01 PM
Lesson this morning:

Marvellous: Waltz jump gets ever longer and ever higher. I have a feeling that this will end up being my signature jump.

Hideous: My salchow. Seems I took a step backwards. I am not gliding on my edge after the 3 turn and as a result I don't kick my right leg through properly. This will take work.

Spins. Today was the first time I have actually tried the correct entry into a spin from the back crossover. It was different and rather entertaining. This will take time as well, especially with the shoulders.

Had a blast anyway...

fan
06-24-2003, 02:21 PM
miss indigo, i can do camels, laybacks and back/front sit and flying sit, but still no forward upright spin. i feel your pain.

MissIndigo
06-24-2003, 06:18 PM
I have no doubt that I will probably have a respectable flying camel before I do a respectable sit. My forward upright spin is great and my backspin isn't bad...but still no sit.

Different things come to different people at different times, I suppose. *sigh*

jazzpants
06-24-2003, 10:05 PM
Don't know if this is considered Marvellous or Hideous but... yesterday I was having trouble with my sit spin. (My legs were very sore from the weekend and could barely walk above a leisurely pace.) I fell from trying for a sit spin entry yesterday. Not a problem for me... not even a bruise. But it sure got the attention of a lot of skaters out there since they rarely see me fall (much to the chergrin of my coach...) :roll:

One skater said about my fall: "You looked like you were going to take a dive into the ice when you were falling." :P

I told my coach about it and he said "YAAAY!!! Jazzpants took a fall!!!" I told him "Not just from doing something stupid too. I was trying to be more daring and aim for a lower sit spin too. He goes "YAAAAY!!!!"

Guess if I do this enough it's a Marvellous! :P (Shows I'm taking more chances on the ice.)

Next stop...HYDROBLADE!!! There's been a lot of skaters these days trying for a hydroblade. So far I have the edge and speed to go for it, but I've been too chicken to get down further into the ice because I was afraid of falling. I think I'm gonna go for it since I'm already down on the floor and the worse it'll happen is that I'm crash right into another skater (and making sure it's a REALLY empty session before I try it will take care of that!) :P Of course, if you have hydroblade horror stories... :roll:

MissIndigo
06-25-2003, 12:11 AM
Well, you wouldn't have that far to fall, would you? My coach tries to use that logic on me to get me to go for the shoot-the-duck position sit spin...granted, it doesn't always work...:roll:

luna_skater
06-25-2003, 12:37 AM
Marvellous: Actually, everything, which is nice for a change! RFO threes are still borderline, but were closer to Marvellous than Hideous today. A few bumps with coach on the Fiesta, but we got into the right rhythm after a few rounds. Coach said Willow was excellent today, and all three dances should do just fine at test day on Thursday. Most of the lesson was spent nitpicking, which is just fine with me -- means I have the essentials down, and we have time to give everything a little extra touch.

jazzpants
06-25-2003, 01:04 AM
Originally posted by MissIndigo
Well, you wouldn't have that far to fall, would you? My coach tries to use that logic on me to get me to go for the shoot-the-duck position sit spin...granted, it doesn't always work...:roll:
Primary coach went as far as showing a shoot-the-duck and then falling (more like sliding) on his butt on the ice to prove his point. Nope! Still chicken about it! :( Though for some reason, I'm more willing to try shoot the duck while going backwards. (You would THINK that it's more dangerous since you can't see what's behind you while you're in the position, right?) 8O

The other thing that's weird -- I'm more willing to go for a shoot-the-duck when doing a sit spin than just a straight shoot-the-duck. For some reason it's easier on the knees. (Anyone have a theory why this is so?) :?:

luna_skater
06-25-2003, 01:21 AM
For hydroblading, try having someone hold on to either side of you to get the hang of it. I learned how to hydroblade a few years ago by holding on in a synchro line.

TashaKat
06-25-2003, 02:29 AM
Originally posted by jazzpants
Next stop...HYDROBLADE!!! There's been a lot of skaters these days trying for a hydroblade. So far I have the edge and speed to go for it, but I've been too chicken to get down further into the ice because I was afraid of falling. I think I'm gonna go for it since I'm already down on the floor and the worse it'll happen is that I'm crash right into another skater (and making sure it's a REALLY empty session before I try it will take care of that!) :P Of course, if you have hydroblade horror stories... :roll:

You asked .......

With my ex dance partner we had a hydroblade in our free dance (you can see it on MY (out of date) WEBSITE (http://www.geocities.com/lynne_99_uk) . Effectively we're skating backwards, he is behind me and we're quite close together (he does a fantastic hydroblade, mine isn't so good :roll: ). Anyway ..... we're going fairly well, he loses his balance slightly, kicks me in the calf of the skating foot whereupon I fall backwards and impale my thigh on his toepick!! OUCH!!!

Saying that though, if you fall on it you're SO near the ice that it hardly matters ...... I was too chicken most of the time to 'let go'!

Good luck :D

x

Mrs Redboots
06-25-2003, 05:48 AM
Our Senior dancers were working on their hydroblade this morning; first attempt ended up with him shooting off in one direction and her sitting on the ice; second attempt was better, but she doesn't know what she is doing with her free leg as they come out of it, yet, so it's not quite there.

For myself, and for several other skaters who are not usually in on a Wednesday, it was Last Practice before Bracknell. Robert and I were able to run through our Riverside Rhumba together to the music, and he did his solo, too. Then he had to leave, and I got out Jake the Peg and remembered how to skate with him. Ran through that programme in my lesson, plus my original dance, plus my free dance. Coach, of course, has made a last-minute change in my free dance.....

Had to queue for the music every time! And was fouled on the first run-through of my free dance so it all went pear-shaped. But basically, if I skate Jake the Peg and the Original Dance as well as I did today I'll be pleased, and if I skate the Free Dance better than I did at Solihull (which wouldn't be difficult!), I'll also be pleased!

I will be interested to see how Jake does at Bracknell: I've performed him 4 times so far, and he's won twice (in France) and come last twice (in this country). So I am not very hopeful! As for the Improvisation, I've been told who my competition is, and that's a guaranteed last place for me, I am 99% certain. However, I'll have fun, and be out there, and that's the main thing.

At least I'll get a medal for the OD on Friday, since there are only 3 of us dancing it! I'm very unlikely to beat either Batikat or her friend, but will have fun trying! The Free Dance may or may not get anywhere, depending on the competition - it certainly won't come in the top half of the class, though, and I doubt our compulsory dances will, either. I hope we won't come last, but given our Riverside Rhumba, I wouldn't be surprised if we did!

Still, the main thing is to have fun, and I'm sure I'll do that! One cannot control what the judges do, and one cannot control one's opposition; all one can do is skate one's absolute best on the day - and if I do that, and can sustain it over the two days of the competition, and not be knocked out in the first round of the Drawn Partners, I'll be one happy skater!

MissIndigo
06-25-2003, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by jazzpants

The other thing that's weird -- I'm more willing to go for a shoot-the-duck when doing a sit spin than just a straight shoot-the-duck. For some reason it's easier on the knees. (Anyone have a theory why this is so?) :?:

You think so? I find that it's harder for me to bend my knee deeply when I'm spinning, fighting centrifugal force. Up and down is easier for me when I simply have to change my center of gravity in linear motion. This is odd because when I think about centrifuging things in lab (to get cells to pellet, for example), I've noticed that if the process didn't pack the material very well in the bottom of the centrifuge tube the material is sticking up in sort of a spiral-shaped pattern...so the circular motion should help.

Ok, I'm getting too technical here...one coach always says I think too much about these things and it holds me back, but what can I do. That's like telling me not to breathe--I looooove the marriage of physics and fun.8-)

icenut84
06-25-2003, 03:19 PM
My first skate for nearly 3 weeks! 8O

Most things were fine, but I've got a feeling I'm not turning out enough on a simple forward inside mohawk. I seem to put my foot down almost "underrotated", and it was causing some problems on my BO3-mohawk sequence - the circle is too small/tight and I'm not as in control as I'd like to be. Any tips?

Spirals were nice. :) (Although on my LFO one, I don't think my leg was as high as it was on a flat. Or maybe I'm wrong - after all, I'm facing the wrong way to tell!)

I'm wasn't dropping to the inside on my spins like before, but they were still travelling way too much. I checked all my tracings and the entry edge didn't look as good as before, that's probably a reason why. Very annoying though, as it took me SO long to get a good entry in the first place! :cry: I didn't feel in complete control of my body position/movements either. Becca - I tried to think about your tip about pressing on the little toe, but it was really hard! I could feel my weight being on my big toe but I couldn't change it. I got close-ish once, but it was really difficult. I need a lesson...

My waltz jumps were solid, but not as much spring/height as usual. Didn't feel like it, anyway. My salchow was ok but I didn't try any other jumps, apart from a very lovely bunny hop :)

You know what was strange though? As well as being quite tired/weary, I really felt like I couldn't bend my knees as much as I usually do. It was ok on things like crossovers, but not on anything else. The thought of trying a teapot/shoot the duck or a lunge was... impossible. My knees just didn't want to think about bending that much. :??

Marvellous thing though - I got a very welcome confidence boost! I met some kids from Uzbekistan, and they (a boy and a girl) both asked how long I'd been skating and then said I was beautiful and I should be in competitions! :mrgreen: Yay! :D

dbny
06-25-2003, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by MissIndigo

That's my cue to tell about breaking my wrist doing shoot-the-duck on rollerskates. OK, so it was a shoot-the-duck war, in which we push each other over. Of course, I got hit right at the beginning and went flying forward. Wrist whacked into the floor, and I woke up at 2 AM knowing something was seriously wrong. That won't be happening again, as I'm now to old and stiff to ever do a shoot-the-duck again :lol:

Hideous
I just spent the week sick with a miserable cold. I skated on Mon freestyle anyway, but got winded just doing the spiral stretches. Spins were tilted.

Marvellous
Not much, but power pulls are still improving.

Taught the Mommy & Me this morning, and stayed to skate about 1/2 hour. This time I had a bit more wind, and was able to do the cross stroke pattern and continue working on power pulls. The B are easier than the F, much to my surprise.

sk8pics
06-25-2003, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by dbny
This time I had a bit more wind, and was able to do the cross stroke pattern and continue working on power pulls. The B are easier than the F, much to my surprise. [/B]

I have also found backward power pulls easier than the forward ones, I think because you won't trip over your toepicks if you're going backwards! Not that I can do them without my coach's help, but anyway...

Marvelous Pretty much everything. My programs have been improving and I can even do my (version of) jumps in my program and still finish on the music. It's fun!

Also Marvelous I've now lost 13 pounds in 7 weeks! :D Clothes that didn't fit me, now fit, clothes that used to fit me are big, and people are stopping me to tell me I look good!8-) It's very exciting.

Happy skating everyone,
Pat

luna_skater
06-25-2003, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by sk8pics

Also Marvelous I've now lost 13 pounds in 7 weeks! :D Clothes that didn't fit me, now fit, clothes that used to fit me are big, and people are stopping me to tell me I look good!8-) It's very exciting.

Happy skating everyone,
Pat

Congrats!!

June 25

Marvellous: All three partnered run-throughs. Dances felt smooth, and I feel good about them overall. A big "Whew!" before test day tomorrow! I'm ready!

Hideous: Timing wasn't so hot when I soloed the dances. I pretty much got it sorted out though, and it's fine when I'm partnered, so I'm not worried!

garyc254
06-26-2003, 08:04 AM
Marvelous: Back on the ice after a 1-1/2 week rest to try and heal my aches and pains. :lol: Back, knee, hip, and ankle are still tender, but improving. Really wasn't physically ready to come back, but hated to miss the group lessons. I took it very easy.

My girlfriend and I did the Dutch Waltz for the first time together. We both kind of knew the steps. We had to do it across the rink as other lessons were going on in the other 2/3 of the rink. We took very little steps. :lol: It took a complete circle of the end to do one pattern.

It will be fun when we finally get a chance to do it on the full rink.

mandy_j07
06-26-2003, 12:48 PM
Horrible: I haven't been on the ice in 2 months!!!:cry: I miss it SOOOOOOOO much, you have no idea!!

(somewhat)Marvelous: I started an off ice training session which includes running, rollerblading, stretching for an houra day, 45 minutes of pilates and jumproping!:D

tidesong
06-26-2003, 12:57 PM
Marvellous:
After skating once a week and then finally my right ankle pain suddenly developed into a left ankle pain too ?!? And so i stopped for two weeks.
And now... i went back and did all my jumps and the ankles don't hurt on the ice! So looks like I can start lessons although i will be on a light schedule and will be doing off-ice to strengthen them. I landed a few axels today, they were tiny but at least they're still somewhere there :)

Mrs Redboots
06-26-2003, 01:58 PM
Marvellous: Lots of people who post here were at Bracknell today: Twinkle, who won her free skating class and came second in her Artistic; Batikat, who came fourth (out of five - I was fifth!) in the Improvisation; NickiT, who didn't do so well in her free skating, but whose group number - penguins - won a well-deserved Silver. And me - I was, as I said, last in the Improvisation, which I expected to be, but I was pleased with how I skated (except the spins, which were fine in the warm-up, disappeared when it mattered, and I kept thinking of all the things I hadn't actually put in......). And I was delighted to come third, out of 8, with my Artistic programme! It's the first time it's come other than last in this country, and actually, that is my first medal in this country (I've won some abroad) that I've won other than by default. So I am very pleased with myself!

Tomorrow is Dance Day, and a horrendously early start, so no more for now!

dbny
06-26-2003, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by Mrs Redboots
Marvellous: And I was delighted to come third, out of 8, with my Artistic programme! It's the first time it's come other than last in this country, and actually, that is my first medal in this country (I've won some abroad) that I've won other than by default. So I am very pleased with myself!

And well you should be! Congratulations Annabel, Twinkle, Batikat, & NikiT!

flo
06-26-2003, 02:56 PM
Congratulations to all!!:)

luna_skater
06-26-2003, 03:15 PM
Marvellous: Test day was a success! Passed all of my Jr. Bronze dances, with all "excellents" on the Fiesta and Swing, and all "goods" on the Willow. Senior bronze, here I come!

Hideous: I'm dead tired because I worked from 11pm-7am, then had to be at the rink at 11am this morning. Nap time!

garyc254
06-26-2003, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by luna_skater
[B]Marvellous:Test day was a success! Passed all of my Jr. Bronze dances, with all "excellents" on the Fiesta and Swing, and all "goods" on the Willow. Senior bronze, here I come!

WAY TO GO!!!!! :D :D :D

You can read this when you wake up. ;) :lol:

garyc254
06-26-2003, 03:37 PM
Marvellous:

Twinkle, who won her free skating class and came second in her Artistic

Batikat, who came fourth in the Improvisation

NickiT whose group number - penguins - won a well-deserved Silver.

And me - I was delighted to come third, out of 8, with my Artistic programme! It's the first time it's come other than last in this country, and actually, that is my first medal in this country (I've won some abroad) that I've won other than by default. So I am very pleased with myself!

WELL DONE AND CONGTATULATIONS TO ALL!!! :D :D :D

It must have been exciting!!!

blondeangl
06-26-2003, 09:55 PM
Marvellous: I passed basic 6!! I also landed my first waltz-waltz-waltz combination several times!! :D

Hideous: My sit spin ... uhhh :x it just doesnt work for me!

sk8er1964
06-26-2003, 10:00 PM
CONGRATS TO OUR SUCCESSFUL COMPETITORS & TESTERS!!! WAY TO GO!!!

Marvellous:

All week, including my lesson, the best thing has been axels - big, strong axels. Have only missed 2 all week - even did three in a row for my coach, the first time I've ever strung three in a row in a lesson. They feel good - the takeoff is right, the rotation is complete, the check out is timed correctly. They are faster and higher. My muscle memory is saying "yeah, this is what they felt like 25 years ago". By George, I think I've got them! 8-)

Also, week 3 of being able to jump and the injury hasn't flared up. Still no lutzes or flips yet - I'll wait until next month after my sports doc appointment (although I will admit to doing a huge flip today - it's my favorite jump).

Hideous:

The Intermediate MIF brackets and double 3's. Both were better today, but not great. I want to test them sometime before next year - so I better get moving on them!

Double toes have not been good either, after a pretty good start to them a few weeks ago. It's mental, I know, and I'm sure they'll come around. I'm impatient, though - I want them now! :x

luna_skater
06-26-2003, 10:38 PM
Thanks for the congrats!

And, because I just can't get enough skating, I have a report from synchro practice this evening, too:

Marvellous: Again, pretty much everything! The skate gods just seem to be shining on me this week. I sucked it up, put my fears aside, and learned how to do brackets, counters, and rockers. Also did single twizzles on each without having to touch down, managed a couple double twizzles, and started learning hip twists. Cross rolls and steps totally rocked, and looked great when we did them in a line.

Hideous: Spirals -- YIKES!! Definitely need some practice. And Ina Bauers. The Bauers are kind of self taught, and I haven't been trying them for very long, so I'm not too broken up about that. But the spirals....good grief.... One-foot spins were also pretty hideous, until the coach broke it down for me and we started going from a two-foot entrance so I could get a better feel for them.

And now, no more skating till July! :cry:

singerskates
06-27-2003, 01:58 AM
Marvellous: And I was delighted to come third, out of 8, with my Artistic programme! It's the first time it's come other than last in this country, and actually, that is my first medal in this country (I've won some abroad) that I've won other than by default. So I am very pleased with myself!

Congrads on the medal and your skating!

TashaKat
06-27-2003, 02:36 AM
Marvellous: Lots of people who post here were at Bracknell today: Twinkle, who won her free skating class and came second in her Artistic; Batikat, who came fourth (out of five - I was fifth!) in the Improvisation; NickiT, whose group number - penguins - won a well-deserved Silver. And I was delighted to come third, out of 8, with my Artistic programme! It's the first time it's come other than last in this country, and actually, that is my first medal in this country (I've won some abroad) that I've won other than by default. So I am very pleased with myself!

Tomorrow is Dance Day, and a horrendously early start, so no more for now!

Well done you guys :D I'm sorry that I couldn't be there this year to say 'hi' :oops: May I ask how my friends from AP did?

Good luck with the Dance day, I'm sure that you'll all have fun.

Best wishes

x

TashaKat
06-27-2003, 02:45 AM
WEDNESDAY

Only me on the adult group lesson so did away with the 'Learn to Skate/Funskate' bible and went onto the 'old' Inter-Bronze (?Bronze Level 3). Was pleased to do a decent flip and lutz but totally p'd to flunk the loop TWICE!!!! After moaning about my camel and back spin I did them without the usual hassles but still not wonderfully! I HATE the bunny hop, it's so ...... nothing!

I then did the moves class which is great fun and actually managed a (small) circle of back 3's .... even managed a few on the other foot!! (Not bad to say that I freaked out and could hardly manage a couple last week :roll: ).

I enjoy it when I'm there but don't have the same drive when I'm sat at home contemplating the early mornings :cry:

On another (totally unrelated .... sort of) note my riding instructor is leaving!!!! What on earth do I do to my coaches????? Am enjoying riding but finding similar frustrations to learning to skate ......

All the best to everyone

L x

flo
06-27-2003, 10:53 AM
Hi,
Good luck to all in the Chesapeake Open this weekend!

LoopLoop
06-27-2003, 12:58 PM
Congrats to everyone who's passed tests and done well in competition!

jazzpants
06-27-2003, 01:12 PM
Good luck to all those at Bracknell and at Chesapeake Open!!! GO, ANNABEL!!! :mrgreen:

Marvellous: Maybe I should revive the coach's saying thread, but after a frustrating day, my coach had me in STITCHES when he told me to raise my knee as if I'm kneeing someone I hate. Right at that point, there was another skater that whizzed right by us and I began to eye him as a candidate for the mental exercise and said "Hmmm?". My coach laughs knowingly.

Hideous: We have a NASTY HEATWAVE here where I am... and it was draining so much energy out of me that I had a hard time doing some of the moves exercise. And on top of that, there are 15 other skaters (PLUS COACHES!!!) in the FS session who were thinking the same as me in beating the heat by skating. GRRRR!!! :x

blondeangl
06-27-2003, 01:27 PM
jazzpants you must live near me we have a massive heat wave going on right now!! its so hot out!! good luck to everyone in the chesapeak open!

flo
06-27-2003, 03:11 PM
Last night it was horribly hot at the rink. I was wearing a sleveless leotard, tights and leggings. I borrowed a skirt and ditched the leggings. Time to get out the summer dresses.

jazzpants
06-28-2003, 02:27 AM
Originally posted by blondeangl
jazzpants you must live near me we have a massive heat wave going on right now!! its so hot out!! good luck to everyone in the chesapeak open!

I'm in Northern CA (San Francisco Bay Area) Where are you? :P

Today was just as hot as yesterday. I've heard from someone that the ice was CRAP because of the heat. (AHA! Instant excuse for my bad lesson this past Thursday!!!) :mrgreen:

Mrs Redboots
06-28-2003, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by TashaKat
May I ask how my friends from AP did? In the Dance, very well - they skated beautifully and looked great.

As for me, I don't know what happened, but every single class I was in, every single judge had me in last place and really dreadful marks. Yet I felt I'd skated incredibly well, for me (I don't mean that I skate well by any objective standards, but by my own!), so it was all very depressing. Robert did well, though - he came 7th out of 10 in his solo compulsories, beating his "other woman" (to his not-so-secret delight!), and together they were 7th out of 9 in the couples. Which, if I'm being horrible (why not? :evil: ) was a little bit lucky for them... it wasn't that they were great (okay, they weren't terrible, but....), but that two other couples were even less great....

As for me, I went home in floods of tears :cry: wondering whether it was ever worth skating again, but of course it will be. I hope the awful results were just a blip caused by the very high quality of the opposition - and it was high, let's be honest - and the fact that I was drawn first in both my Free Dance and Original Dance.

In fact, the only thing I wasn't happy with how I skated was our Riverside Rhumba, which was truly awful. And, ironically, I think that was the only thing we weren't 100% last in! The marks weren't published on the results sheets (something we all find helpful when they are), so I can't be 100% sure.

Sadly, the day was marred by a serious accident to one of our senior dancers, but we managed to rally and enjoy the knock-out Drawn Partners. Except that my partner and I (actually one of my favourite people to dance with, from Tashakat's rink) ended up being drawn against Robert and his partner, one of the senior Oxford dancers..... they won that match! Mind you, had we won, the next round would also have seen husband vs wife..... :) Robert was eventually knocked out and demanded indignantly to know why: well, hold, edges, speed on the ice, head position..... ;) His, not hers!

All the same, I still feel horrendously depressed by the whole thing. I wouldn't mind nearly so much if I'd skated badly - I do skate better now; the snag is, so does everybody else!

NickiT
06-29-2003, 05:19 AM

All the same, I still feel horrendously depressed by the whole thing. I wouldn't mind nearly so much if I'd skated badly - I do skate better now; the snag is, so does everybody else!

I know what you mean Annabel. I had the skate of my life on Thursday. I could not have done any better. A totally clean programme and I even managed a one foot landing on my lutz. I just don't feel that my placing did my skating any justice. Doesn't help that it was pretty obvious that men are favoured in these competitions. I honestly feel very pleased with my performance and have no regrets or "if onlys", just wish my placing had reflected my peformance. Even my coach told me she thought I skated really well when I saw her yesterday and she admitted to feeling disappointed with my placing. But I guess that's life. I heard it was a very close competition and I was told that one judge had me 3rd.

Nicki

Mrs Redboots
06-29-2003, 09:37 AM
I think that the standard of British skating has just done a huge leap upwards! And yes, they do favour the men - my mother says it's like the Pony Club where, apparently, men and boys are always placed 3rd if at all possible "to encourage more of them to join!" Plus, of course, the dances are easier for the men, which was why in the Under Level 8 compulsories men took 3 of the first 4 places!

However, back to work this morning.

Hideous: Robert broke a glass while doing the washing-up last night and cut his hand, which meant it was quite difficult to dance together as I had to keep remembering where not to touch! Alas, I forgot at least once, leading to a yelp from him, and started it bleeding again!

The music system seems to have broken down completely, and we were reduced to the speakers from the rinkside recorders.

Marvellous: Not a lot, but we had fun dancing, working on our Swing Dance and Riverside Rhumba, and trying to deconstruct our Rhythm Blues to see where we have timing issues. Mostly going into the swing rolls, I think, but also on the runs (progressives), I don't keep my leg extended as long as I should, so it looks as though I'm 2-footing, even when I'm not!

Black Sheep
06-29-2003, 04:15 PM
I skated my new Adult Gold FS program there last night. Here's what I have to say about that:

1. Marvelous. My dress looked great and fit perfectly. Also, people really enjoyed watching my spins. I did, too, when I saw the video.

2. Hideous. Nerves made me nauseous for two days before I skated. As a result, I couldn't land my axel or double sal (so I didn't even try my double toe) as well as I'd have likes (so what else is new?).

Afterwards, my coach and I had a critique conference with three of the judges. They said I need to hold the landings on my jumps longer. I need to find a way to do that so it fits my music....8-)

jazzpants
06-29-2003, 09:22 PM
Marvellous:
This time I have a nice empty and marvellous cool rink. And my moves are starting to come BACK!!! WOO HOO!!!

Also, I got one... *ONE* stinking 2 rev backspin away from the wall today!!! Unfortunately, this was also a fluke...since the majority of the spins were "close but no cigar."

Hideous:
Zamboni is BUSTED today! The ice was essentially all roughed up. I could still do my stuff, but it took a lot more effort b/c the ice isn't smooth enough. Edge jumps are especially PAINFUL to do on rough ice. :(

icenut84
06-30-2003, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by Black Sheep
They said I need to hold the landings on my jumps longer. I need to find a way to do that so it fits my music....8-)

Maybe you could use some kind of arm movements to accentuate the music while holding the edge?

Black Sheep
06-30-2003, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by icenut84
Maybe you could use some kind of arm movements to accentuate the music while holding the edge?

Sounds like a great idea, icenut84! I'll give it a try. 8-)

jenlyon60
06-30-2003, 07:22 PM
Hideous: Forwards 2-footed slaloms... my coach says that I do them like a skier (I have much more weight on the outside foot than the inside foot...which is how I have my weight placed when I'm SKIING). And we did 2-foot rockers from slaloms but I kept doing either brackets or counters when I turned backwards to forwards.

also, forward power 3's have disappeared again

Marvellous: the skating wasn't that bad considering I took 2 weeks off with no skating at all. 5-step mohawk sequence was fairly smooth.