View Full Version : Little Quirks before you skate

Figureskates
06-19-2003, 06:34 PM
What things do you do before you skate? Call them quirks or rictuals but you do them almost every time.

Mine are a always put my left skate on first, eventhough I am right handed. When I step out on the ice, I always hang my skate guards over the top edge of the glass next to the door, not on the rail where everyone else puts theirs.

skaternum
06-19-2003, 07:11 PM
I put on my Dr. Pepper lip smacker (lip gloss) that I carry in my skate bag.

Unfortunately, I also go through a 20 minute ritual of stretching and warming up dictated by my physical therapist. I wish I didn't have to. :cry:

Lili
06-19-2003, 09:27 PM
I always put my right skate on, and take the left one off first.

StarshineXavier
06-19-2003, 09:43 PM
For competitions, I put my right skate on completely, with tape around the ankles. Then when the right skate is on, I put the left skate on, with tape around the ankles. Before I go on, I kiss my knees. If it's a good skate, then I add the tape from my skates onto a tape ball that I have. If it's a bad skate, then I throw the tape out.

Sk8Bunny
06-19-2003, 09:54 PM
Kool topic! Let see, when I get to the rink, I always jump rope first, then warm up my jumps off-ice, then go through this stretching routine that my coach and pyhsical therapists have set up for me. As for putting on my skates, I put my lace-bite pads(similar to bunga pads) on my ankles, then put one skate on, but i dont lace it, then i put the other skate on, then lace that one up, but dont put my over-the-boot tights over it yet. then i go back to my unlaced skate and lace it up, then put my tight on that one, then go back to skate i laced up first and finish snapping, or velcroing my other side of the tights over it. If its a competition, i pat my skates and say to them 'ok guys, do good, we are working together out there, so lets go kick butt'. crazy??? well, arent all skaters?? haha. j/k.

dancing_queen
06-19-2003, 10:30 PM
i alwasy visulalize my performance, and i have my lucky skating socks! if i do good i dont wash them..(as gross as it seems i take the socks of right after i skate) and if i dont do good i wash them..thank goodness i have frequent bad skates

jenlyon60
06-20-2003, 05:56 AM
I have 2 different colored soakers. The red soaker always goes on the right boot and the pink soaker always goes on the left boot.

That way I know when I pull my skates out of my bag which one is which without looking.

I also almost always put my right boot on first, then the left, then lace the right one first.

Schmeck
06-20-2003, 06:58 AM
Figureskates, I am also right-handed, and put on my left skate first. And I also hang my guards up on the plexiglass... 8O Of course, I hang them up because they always get knocked off that little ledge, and I'm too lazy to bend over to pick them up, LOL!

Schmeck

Mrs Redboots
06-20-2003, 07:01 AM
Left skate first, normally, but I don't obsess (obssess? they both look wrong!) to the point of taking my right one off if I forget! I usually have some sort of mascot - for the Mountain Cup it was a little teddy bear in a jumper made for it by the skater who makes them for Adult Nationals, which she very kindly sent to me. I must find him and take him to the two competitions this week! But I don't take that sort of thing very seriously - it's all just a bit of fun. And by the time I get to the competition, anything that reminds me that this is supposed to be fun ("Are we having fun yet?" asked one rather nervous skater at the Mountain Cup) is a Good Thing.

Raine
06-20-2003, 08:59 AM
I'm right-handed, but on the ice I'm a lefty (CW) skater. I always put on and take off my left skate first. Don't know what it all means, though. :)

Happy Skating,
Raine

icenut84
06-20-2003, 11:27 AM
I'm right handed but a lefty on the ice (CW is natural direction). When I take my skates out of my bag, I always take off the soakers and put my guards on them, then I always put on my left skate first (after massaging my foot & ankle) and lace it up, then do my right (again, after massaging my foot & ankle). I also put my right glove on first, then my left (don't know why).

sk8er1964
06-20-2003, 10:37 PM
OK - warm up with fast walking & stretching. Then...

Right skate - unlace completely, then knock down heal and lace up. I always lace my skates backwards on the eyelets - over to under instead of under to over. Don't ask me why - I did it that way as a kid. Then fold the trouser socks over the laces and cover with the footless tights/over the boot tights, depending on what I've chosen to wear that day. Repeat with the left.

icenut84
06-21-2003, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by sk8er1964
I always lace my skates backwards on the eyelets - over to under instead of under to over. Don't ask me why - I did it that way as a kid.

I do that too. I think you're actually supposed to. I also tie the laces in a knot between the holes and the hooks (keeps them firm/tight in that area), lace up to the top (apart from the top hook), then wind it round the bottom hook and then the highest (not the very top) one again, before tying.

Skatingsarah
06-21-2003, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by sk8er1964
I always lace my skates backwards on the eyelets - over to under instead of under to over.

I do something similar to that!
I always put my left skate on first and always take it off first. I lace it up the first three holes up backwards like you explained but on the last one I lace it up from under to over.
For competitions I have a good luck bear that my mom holds in the stands, my coach has decided not to hold it any more ;)
I always wipe my blades with my thumb and finger when I go on to the and when I get off I do the same.

Aren't figure skaters soo superstitious, cuz I know I really am that way once I get myself into a habit its like it has to continue.

-Sarah

blondeangl
06-27-2003, 02:47 PM
i always take my soakers off and put my guards on before i put my skaters on. i also noticed i always put my left skate on first. i think i always take off my left blade guard first and i always wipe my blades with my thumb and fingers when i get off the ice ;)

*Starryskye*
06-30-2003, 12:44 AM
At all competitions, I put my right skate on and then left skate...without lacing either..then go back and tie my right skate, put my tights over it but don't velcroe...then tie my left skate, put my tights on..velcroe them, then velcroe my right skate!! But, newly..before I put my tights on I tape each skate lace..only I do that once both skates are on and tied up!! Haha, confusing I know! Also, everybody on my team kisses my monkey..and I always have to go pee. :lol: its funny, but if I don't have to then everybody worries..just because I always do!! Also, as we're stepping on I do this funny thing that my friend taught me the first time we skated at nationals to try and calm me down and get me excited at the same time...that was in 98 and i've done it ever since!!

Mrs Redboots
06-30-2003, 04:49 AM
Originally posted by *Starryskye*
Also, as we're stepping on I do this funny thing that my friend taught me the first time we skated at nationals to try and calm me down and get me excited at the same time...that was in 98 and i've done it ever since!! And what funny thing is that? Do tell!

*Starryskye*
06-30-2003, 10:05 AM
It's kind of hard to explain...it's just a little hand thing..i'll try and explain but i might sound crazy!! Hehe, It's just basically a motion hitting my forehead with the back of my hands (SOFTLY..lol)the front of my hips with the front of my fingertips, then brushing foreward on the back of my hips with the backs of my fingertips..then repating! It might sound reallllllly wierd, but it isn't that bad! haha sorry..i did the best I could!

Synchronized
07-02-2003, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by dancing_queen
i alwasy visulalize my performance, and i have my lucky skating socks! if i do good i dont wash them..(as gross as it seems i take the socks of right after i skate) and if i dont do good i wash them..thank goodness i have frequent bad skates

lol you read my mind. I do all of this.
I don't think the sock thing is all that gross. I mean I never washed mine for the four competitions. But, I wore them only for my program. Put them on right before, took them off right after.
I have my lucky underwear too. I think they are lucky because I only wear them on test days where I know I'm going to pass. (Sorry) I hope that's not too much for you all. It's not for me because usually our team buys matching underwear.

luna_skater
07-02-2003, 02:16 PM
My right skate goes on first, but I do that whether or not it's a competition. My team always huddles in a circle and sings "Lean on Me" before we perform.

Synchronized
07-02-2003, 02:20 PM
We sang imagine because we skated to it.
People shuddered when they walked by us.
My favourite saying was if we were a choir, we wouldn't be here.

Magz
07-02-2003, 05:16 PM
i always put my right skate on first...and i have special ways it has to be done or else it messes up my skating. Also when im getting off i put on one guard and then push myself to the door with that foot then once im off i put on the other one. And at competitions i always hum songs when i'm getting ready

Stormy
07-02-2003, 09:31 PM
Anyone who's familiar with the Boston Red Sox knows that Nomar Garciaparra has all his little rituals with his gloves and such when he's at bat, and since I'm a huge Sox fan I earned the nickname "Nomar" from my old Synchro team since I had so many little rituals before we went on!
Right skate first, always. Then left. Both had to be tied exactly right, and double knotted before they could be taped. Costume & hair must be perfect. Right guard goes on before left, and I always wipe any dirt off first with my rag.
The team always did a "power circle" where we all held hands and squeezed hands around the circle, so we all felt each other's "power" go through us.

When I test Moves, I ALWAYS MUST wear my purple and pink Del Arbour dress. I've passed and failed tests in it, but I have to wear it.

I used to have a lucky golf ball (don't ask) that I carried with me but I lost it. :D