View Full Version : Opinion on Frivolous & Trivial subject

dbny
06-18-2003, 10:28 PM
I tried on a few dresses that were on sale at the pro shop today. I do not need another dress! However, there was one that fit very nicely and was fairly flattering, in addition to being my color - deep green. It's velvet with long sleeves and box skirt, with some sparkles on the top. I could wear it for testing - which will not be anytime soon. It's by Jerry's and is very, very nicely made with details like a satin strip at the wrists. It was originally $95, but is half price, and was offered to me for only $45, no tax. Should I indulge myself? Should I pledge to wear it for practice once a month if I do buy it?

Elsy2
06-18-2003, 10:32 PM
I vote yes....a dress that fits just right is worth indulging in. It sounds nice :) Also yes on wearing it once a month for practice. You need to know what it feels like before using it for a test or competition.

sk8er1964
06-18-2003, 11:12 PM
Yes! Buy it - a skating dress that fits AND looks good AND makes you feel good? Well worth the (discounted) price !:D

batikat
06-19-2003, 02:58 AM
Definitley buy it! You never know when you might just need that particular skating dress and if you haven't bought it how can you wear it???????
Too good an opportunity to miss to buy a quality, flattering, discounted dress - why are you even asking - go get it! NOW!

Mrs Redboots
06-19-2003, 07:58 AM
Of course you must buy it!

Black Sheep
06-19-2003, 09:54 AM
Seems to me $45.00 is dirt cheap for a dress as good as that! 8-)

quarkiki2
06-19-2003, 09:57 AM
Heck, I'd buy it myself if I wouldn't look like a stuffed sausage in a short skirt!

Go for it -- it sounds gorgeous!!! And a great deal -- what more could you ask?

flo
06-19-2003, 10:03 AM
There have been several times in the winter when I've been asked to do a program at an outside rink. Since I prefer camisole top dresses, I was left scrambling for something warm. I then bought one just for those times - something that would be adaptable to a variety of programs, and looks great. You never know when you need a different dress! If you really like it, go for it.

Debbie S
06-19-2003, 01:18 PM
I say go for it! At that price, you won't even need to wear it that much to feel like you got your money's worth. But as flo pointed out, you never know when you might need a dress that looks exactly like that.

Raine
06-19-2003, 01:31 PM
If the dress fits, BUY IT! :)

Happy skating,
Raine

NickiT
06-19-2003, 03:49 PM
Go for it. It's such a great price and it's in your colour and it fits well. Everything tells me you should buy it!!!

Nicki

IceAngel725
06-19-2003, 06:20 PM
I would say to go for it! Dresses are hard to find when you know you need one... plus, if it fits good and you're comfortable in it, the $45 price is even better! The price alone is a good reason to buy it!

skaternum
06-19-2003, 07:12 PM
Honey, you'd better get down to that store and snap up that dress before someone else does!

Aussie Willy
06-19-2003, 07:18 PM
I say buy it. So far the responses are unanimous - you must buy that dress and if you don't you should be severely punished!!!

Now a new question - if she does not buy that dress how should she be punished?

Figureskates
06-19-2003, 07:25 PM
The ultimate punishment, stepping out on the ice with your skate guards on!!

dbny
06-19-2003, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by Figureskates
The ultimate punishment, stepping out on the ice with your skate guards on!!

Aaaak! Nooooo! I promise I'll call the pro shop tomorrow and have them put it away for me :D

wannask8
06-22-2003, 06:47 PM
db, sounds gorgeous! Deep green, mmm!

-- wannask8

dbny
06-23-2003, 07:55 PM
The dress is mine! Thanks to you all...mwaaa!

Mrs Redboots
06-24-2003, 07:59 AM
Okay, picture, picture????

I have a new dress en route; it won't be with me for awhile. I had thought to commission a Tango dress from a friend who makes commercially. Another skater overheard me say this and said, "Oh, I've got a Tango dress I never wear, would you like to try it on?" So I said "Yes please!" and she brought it in next day. It's lovely - a superb red, with a dance-length skirt, just what I wanted. Only snag is, the skirt was attached in front under the stomach, and as I stick out there quite enough as it is, it did me no favours! So my friend-who-makes-commercially is going to alter the skirt, and add a second layer of skirt, in black with twinkly bits, over the top so that the red will be more of a petticoat.

The top of the dress is totally plain, just exactly the way I like it - I can dress it up with beads or even a boa to suit my mood and the dance I'm doing!

I can hardly wait - it won't be ready for a couple of weeks, but as I shan't need it until the British Adults in September, that's ages away! What's more, it's a total bargain as friend-whose-dress-it-was won't take a penny piece for it, despite my protests, and friend-who-makes-commercially won't have to spend too long on it! I doubt it'll cost me more than the equivalent of US$80.....

quarkiki2
06-24-2003, 09:39 AM
Well, I'm sure you'll both look very lovely!

No one at my rink wears dresses unless they're practicing for a competition. And definitely none of the adults.

Sometimes I think I'd feel more like a skater if I were in a dress, but then I think I'd feel like a dork because no one practices in skirts, even!

sk8er1964
06-24-2003, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by quarkiki2
Well, I'm sure you'll both look very lovely!

No one at my rink wears dresses unless they're practicing for a competition. And definitely none of the adults.

Sometimes I think I'd feel more like a skater if I were in a dress, but then I think I'd feel like a dork because no one practices in skirts, even!

I wear my skirt and tights all the time - open skates (except when I take my kid to really busy weekend sessions), club ice, I don't really care. I feel better in them than I would in regular pants, and it certainly looks better than those stretchy/clingy pants because the skirt covers my back end and hips! Plus you really do feel more like a skater - at least I do.

Figureskates
06-24-2003, 12:54 PM
I have never worn a dress...it would start nasty rumours!!!

Anyway, my knees are way too bony!!

Terri C
06-24-2003, 06:00 PM
Are you crazy??? BUY IT!!! 8O

montanarose
07-12-2003, 02:23 PM
It's too late for my reply to influence you, as you've already done the deed . . . but what I, as a fellow 56-year-old skater (sorry, dbny, you'll have to share that gold medal :lol: ) would have told you was: of course you buy that dress! At any, but especially our, age to find one that's "you" and fits well (not to mention being on-sale to boot!) is a gift from the Skating Gods, so it's best to appease them.

Ellen

dbny
07-14-2003, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by montanarose
It's too late for my reply to influence you, as you've already done the deed . . . but what I, as a fellow 56-year-old skater (sorry, dbny, you'll have to share that gold medal :lol: ) would have told you was: of course you buy that dress! At any, but especially our, age to find one that's "you" and fits well (not to mention being on-sale to boot!) is a gift from the Skating Gods, so it's best to appease them.

Ellen

Glad for the company up here :lol:

dani
07-16-2003, 05:26 AM
Originally posted by quarkiki2

Hi Quarkiki!

When I bought my first ice skating dress (I had worn dressed eons ago for roller skating, of course) and wore it to practice two things happened. The first is I had lots of people complimenting me on the dress which was ok. The second thing was that I had several people tell me they could see a difference in my skating when I was "dressed like a skater".

Just a couple of thoughts. They sell just the skirts and that is what I usually practice in. (just because of figureskates I should point out that I still wear a t-shirt over the skirt ;-)

Hugs!
Danielle

mikawendy
07-16-2003, 10:23 PM
I'm glad that you decided to buy the dress, dbny! I'm still kicking myself for not buying a fabulous pair of dressy mule shoes that I tried on a few years ago at Nordstrom. I was already buying 3 pairs of shoes that day and didn't need the dressy ones, so I didn't take them. They were the cutest pair of shoes and I've never seen anything like them. So my new philosophy is if you see something really nice that you like, buy it (if you can afford it) so you don't regret it later, especially if it's something that is usually hard to find in your taste. (For example, I'm really picky about pants and shoes, so when I see something I love at first sight, I usually go ahead and get it if it's not OUTRAGEOUSLY expensive.)

mikawendy
07-16-2003, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by dani
I had several people tell me they could see a difference in my skating when I was "dressed like a skater".

I think there probably really is a difference to some people's skating when they wear a skirt. I feel different when I wear a skirt instead of pants, more stretched out and aware of what my feet are doing. I seem to stroke better and to point my toes better.

One skating instructor I know even prefers that the students to not wear gloves and bulky warmups in the summer...