View Full Version : any word on University Games and synchro?

Mel On Ice
06-17-2003, 01:47 PM
At Govering Council, it was discussed that the World University Games committee would discuss including synchro as part of the Games, a big step towards getting Olympic status. The meeting was set for June 5, but I haven't seen anything reported on it anywhere, and a search of the Internet turns up nothing. Does anyone know anything they can share?

luna_skater
06-17-2003, 04:31 PM
I find that very strange because hardly any Universities have world class synchro teams, and most Universities don't have serious synchro teams at all. I know the ISU was extremely pleased with this year's World Championships, which will help get synchro the push it needs to get Olympic status.

Mel On Ice
06-18-2003, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by luna_skater
I find that very strange because hardly any Universities have world class synchro teams, and most Universities don't have serious synchro teams at all.

There are 17 universities with solid synchro programs. There needs to be 20 to give synchronized skating NCAA status.

And world class... USA 2 was from University of Miami (Ohio) and placed in the top 10.

luna_skater
06-18-2003, 02:36 PM
Yes, but that is 17 teams in the USA. What other countries will participate? And, that number is of Collegiate teams. The Miami team that went to Worlds is Varsity. There's a big difference. The only other Varsity teams at US Nats this year were WMU and U Mich. Canada doesn't have Varsity synchro, and most countries in Europe only field a few Senior teams and a handful of Junior teams that they put their efforts into.

luna_skater
06-18-2003, 02:37 PM
Sorry, didn't meant to post the second msg.