View Full Version : interpritive program ideas

dancing_queen
06-15-2003, 02:58 PM
im 14 years old and am looking for an idea for a into interpretive solo..either music ideas or theme ideas r wlecome!

thank u!

sk8er1964
06-15-2003, 09:24 PM
Ok - I understand that Canadian interp is different from American standard interp and also is different from American adult interp. Can you give us an idea of what you're looking for? For example, in the US the adult interp often involves fantasic costumes or a dramatic theme - more of a "show". Is yours like that or is it more interpretation of music?

StarshineXavier
06-15-2003, 09:37 PM
For Canadian Interpretives, it's more about interpreting the music. Jumps and spins aren't necessary, since the judges are looking more at the "in-betweens" (edges, turns, field moves, etc.). Judges are looking more into how a skater feels and interprets the music. Vocals are permitted, but they're not recommended, since skaters tend to interpret the words over the music. Changes of tempo in the music are encouraged, since the judge can see how the skater reacts to different speeds of music. There are 9 different things judges look for: edge/turn quality, speed/flow/power, creative movements/sureness of movements, carriage/line, interpretation of music, communication of theme, use of whole body, use of levels/space, originality/creativity. I hope this helps Americans to understand what interpretives are like for Canadians.

As for ideas for an interpretive, acting out a character or something, with music from the score of a movie would work. If you HAVE to have vocals, I'd suggest having some vocals with an instrumental piece, or vocals in a language other than the one you speak. Creative and original is the way to go!

Arsenette
06-15-2003, 09:56 PM
Sorry dancing_queen as SOON as I read your username I could NOT stop thinking about ABBA music (just think of Mama Mia and you got what I'm talking about). Have you ever thought of skating to that?

Aussie Willy
06-16-2003, 04:37 AM
I suggest doing a hippie number with music from the 60's. I have done that before with a friend and used Good Vibrations, Wild Thing and I got you babe. It was so much fun and you can wear a long wig and have giant flowers. I don't mind if you steal my idea!!

The other one I did with the same friend was a Blue Brothers number.

I also agree about the ABBA number. Something I have wanted to do for a long time.

As a general suggestion pick a particular genre of music like 50, 60 and 70s and just pick a few songs, put them together and make a groovy costume.

The main thing is to go out and have fun.

StarshineXavier
06-16-2003, 11:58 AM
Willy, the thing with Canadian Interpretives is the fact that the judges are very picky about what's done for the tests. I just tested my Gold Interpretive a week ago, and I was the ONLY person who wasn't just wearing a plain and simple skating dress. I had sequins on mine, and I felt tremendously over dressed. Judges wanna see the skating, not the costumes, and they tend to mark down skaters with costumes that enhance the program. It's an interpretive, not an artistic program. Your ideas for the music are very good, but the costume ideas are not. This is coming from someone who had a long discussion with judges about what's expected in interpretive tests.

singerskates
06-16-2003, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by StarshineXavier
Willy, the thing with Canadian Interpretives is the fact that the judges are very picky about what's done for the tests. I just tested my Gold Interpretive a week ago, and I was the ONLY person who wasn't just wearing a plain and simple skating dress. I had sequins on mine, and I felt tremendously over dressed. Judges wanna see the skating, not the costumes, and they tend to mark down skaters with costumes that enhance the program. It's an interpretive, not an artistic program. Your ideas for the music are very good, but the costume ideas are not. This is coming from someone who had a long discussion with judges about what's expected in interpretive tests.

I tried that route this year as it was my first time dong interpretive or artistic for that matter in Adult competitions but in adult competitions, they want the acting out and the costumes. Gee, if my adult competitions would have been judge like what you have up there including the COS Adult Spring Skate, I could have faired better with the judges. I know the audience liked me.

StarshineXavier
06-16-2003, 03:15 PM
If you look back to the original question, dancing_queen was looking for ideas for non-adult interpretives. I gave information for non-adult interpretives. Being in the test stream myself, and being someone who had to retry an interpretive because I had vocals and a costume, I did what I could to help, so that others could be spared of having to retry.

LynRose
06-16-2003, 08:23 PM
How about something from a musical?

I saw a skater who did All That Jazz and I thought it was wonderful.

Aussie Willy
06-17-2003, 05:52 AM
StarshineXavier - I thought dancing_queen was just asking for some ideas for an interpretive number. I am in Australia and not familar with your system of testing. We don't have a large skating community so everyone is a bit more relaxed about what is considered artistic or interpretive, particular with our adult competitions (you would never be tested on artistic or interpretive though - it is just for competitions). But I know that where you are skating is probably more thoroughly organised and steamlined so the definitions regarding artistic or interpretive would be much more defined. I do get the definitions of artistic and interpretive confused myself.

Mrs Redboots
06-17-2003, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by LynRose
I saw a skater who did All That Jazz and I thought it was wonderful. The trouble is, every other skater over here is doing that this year! It is fun, but it's no fun when everybody else has the same idea. The number of children I've seen in black Zeta Jones wigs and a black dress that's too old for them.....

However, to go back to Dancing-Queen's original question, if what is required is that you interpret the music, then you must think what your strengths are. What sort of music do you skate best to. If you do ice dancing, what dances are you best at? (I'm always much better at waltzes than anything else, so if I had to do your sort of interpretive, I'd go for a waltz). It's that sort of question you need to be looking at, to find what type of music you can interpret best, before you start looking at individual pieces.

Good luck, and do let us know what you choose.

Incidentally, what does your teacher think?

dancing_queen
06-17-2003, 05:09 PM
thank u guyz for all of your ideas they are wonderful!! :D

Mrs Redboots..my coaches think i should do a tang o wich i realy luv doing accept my freeskate solo is a tango at the moment....so i'd like to do something entirely diffrent...im looking at waltz's beacuse they r not one of my strenghths and i would like to build apon it...but i alos like doing "fun" numbers like jazz..or im alos thinking about a micheal jakson number..the muisc i would use is billy jeann.. what do u guys think? any other ideas?

Mrs Redboots
06-18-2003, 07:00 AM
Michael Jackson sounds like fun if you can skate to him! Why not? Can you get your coaches to cut some music for you, or do you have facilities to do that? It's worth taking the CD down to the rink before you cut the music to make sure it sounds all right on the sound system - some pieces that sound fantastic in the living-room simply don't come out in an ice rink. I learnt that one the hard way.....

Black Sheep
06-19-2003, 09:57 AM
"One-Eyed, One-Horned, Flyin' Purple People Eater!" 8-)

singerskates
06-19-2003, 07:14 PM
Hi, the more I look, the more I find and the more I have to choose
from. I'm talking about choosing music to edit and remaster for my
interpretive pieces for next year. I'm thinking about music from
Mulan, FAME, The Prince Of Egypt, The Serect Garden and The Mask Of
Zorro. I was looking into the new Charlie's Angel movie but after
hearing the new music online at Sony.com, I decided against it. Too
the same and too wierd.

I'm leaning toward The Prince of Egypt using the song "When You
Believe" but I need to also find an instrumental version so that I
can take out part of the vocals and have a short instrumental section
for footwork or something. After listening closely to the Secret
Garden's "Dreamcatcher", I decided to leave it for someone younger.
If anyone here under 30 wants this piece, let me know. I was thinking
about Mulan's "Reflection" but my choreographer/actor/university
student/daughter thinks it too young of a piece for me. I'd love to
dress up as Mulan. Plus, I would be inspired to learn outside spread
eagles and get my inside spread eagles to have more control as I
pretend to look into the water at my reflection. In FAME, I could
dress up as one of the contestants on the show.

Hmmm, I'm so undecided. What are your picks for me?

Brigitte

GoldieMedal
06-20-2003, 09:39 PM
Well I am a adult skater and I enjoyed the Artistic event more than the Interpretive.I like entertaining the audience and making them laugh, Interpretive is getting to free stylish with up to tripples allowed. If jumps are not marked ..Why have them allowed!! It is discouraging for non former child skater adults competiting.and frankly doesn't make much sence to me.

I like the Americians Show case Interpretive and someday hope to compete in one. Skate Canada should follow the American Adult Test Standards and their competition rulings and events.Canada can learn from the best!!!

I know we are all in the learning stages of the new Adult Skater in competitions and Skate Canada supports us fully, but when there is something working across the border..learn all you can and adapt it.

Well I may not compete in interpretive now with the new ruling, I will see how it all pans out.
Skate Canada should have left the Artistic event in so adults had a choice!!

Cape Breton Mary