View Full Version : WIFA boots and Risport problems

Aussie Willy
06-14-2003, 11:04 PM
I know that most US and Canadian skaters use boots from that country, but anyone here use Wifas? I am thinking about getting them because over the last two years I am still getting pain on the instep. Around the ankles the Risports have been great, but the instep is just painful. Also I have a bit of a bunion on the side of my right foot near by big toe which when I tried skating two days in a row (which I rarely do) it hurt.

So now I am thinking about Wifa boots. A couple of coaches at our rink have them and assist with ordering them. But anyone else use Wifa and what are your impressions?

luna_skater
06-15-2003, 08:13 AM
I've never had them myself, but I know a few people who swear by them.

becca
06-15-2003, 01:16 PM
I started off in Wifas. When I was younger I had really narrow feet and they were perfext. As I got older, my feet got wider and I started having a lot of problems with them and found that other skates fir much better (SP Teris, Grafs, etc.). I think that Wifas are really meant for a specific type of foot, which is why some people swear by them and others can't stand them. Just a warning, even when they fit me well, I had a hard time breaking them in (I almost always got blisters).

Mrs Redboots
06-15-2003, 02:09 PM
They're very popular over here, but I'm told that they are horrible to break in! Once you have, however.....

dancing_queen
06-15-2003, 03:11 PM
i have had wifas and i didnt have much trouble breaking them in.. that could paritically b beacuse i had them moulded to me feet( that when they basically heat the skates up and then u put your feet in and die the skates..and wait till they cool off..this leavis them moulded to the shape of you foot)...this process cuts down the time it takes to break skates in considerbaly!!so overalll i would recomend them

Rae
06-15-2003, 05:00 PM
Aussie Willy,
If you want wifa boots. Contact Wojteich Bankowski in Perth (tessa Black's coach). He does a VERY good job of getting the correct fit and he'll tell you how to trace your foot and get the correct measurements.
I am not a fan or Risport or Reidell.
He did a good job for me.

Good Luck.

Aussie Willy
06-16-2003, 04:29 AM
Rae - thanks for the information. We do have a coach at our rink who does that, but I assume by your reply that you have Wifas. Are you happy with yours?

And thanks for the feedback from you all.

ChristianeDK
06-16-2003, 05:04 AM
I've got Risport but I've tried Wifa too and thought they were horrible since they've got so little padding compared to Risport especially around the ankles. So if that's what you liked about Risport then you should be aware of this difference! Good Luck :)

dooobedooo
06-16-2003, 10:25 AM
If you have a high instep then WIFAs should suit you. I have high instep and arches and have WIFA in the widest (C) fitting. The WIFA fitter did punch out the ankles for me as standard practice, and they have caused absolutely no problems. He also warmed the boot in the oven before I tried them on for the first time.

Although I wore Risport for my first boots, they never really fitted properly.

Rae
06-16-2003, 04:13 PM
I don't have Wifas. My daughter does. I liked an Austrian boot no-one uses much anymore - Schindler. I have had Reidell - Dreadful. SP Teri are also good.

Mrs Redboots
06-17-2003, 07:36 AM
Originally posted by Rae
I liked an Austrian boot no-one uses much anymore - Schindler. Over here, people who have custom boots often have Schindlers, and they are rather gorgeous. One woman I know mis-measured her feet, and was trying to sell the slightly-too-big pair she had accidentally bought, and I tried them on. They were far too large for me, but oh, you could see how comfortable they would have been if they weren't!