View Full Version : Monthly Goals: June, 2003

CanAmSk8ter
06-08-2003, 06:54 PM
I had an idea for a new "feature" here at On-Ice. At the beginning of the month, we should set goals for the coming month. I don't know about you all, but I think I'm more likely to follow through with really busting my butt on stuff if I know other people know about it. Then the next month, we can discuss what we've accomplished and set an new set of goals (or renew our determination to accomplish them this month).

I'll start. My goals for June are:

1. Pass my Rocker June fifteenth

2. Get repeat pattern of Paso more consistent

3. Increase my stamina on the Quickstep so that I can do three patterns without losing depth on the third one

4. Pass my ISI Dance 5 and 6

Ok, which brave soul is going to go next?

Figureskates
06-08-2003, 07:08 PM
Goal for June:

Get a respectable salchow.

Work on some of the preliminary MITF patterns.

vesperholly
06-08-2003, 07:22 PM
To pass my Foxtrot and European on June 28th. Now that I got my blade adjusted I actually have an RFO again.

Jocelyn

sk8er1964
06-08-2003, 07:48 PM
Great idea! Here's mine:

1 - To get my Intermediate MIF's at or near passing level.

2 - to come close to mastering my new combo spin

3 - to start jumping again without going overboard and stopping my healing process :)

becca
06-08-2003, 08:02 PM
-get my 2toe as consistant as my other doubles (be able to land on the first or second try each session)

-improve consistancy on axel/2toe and loop/2loop/2loop combos

-start working on and landing another double/double combo (preferably off of a flip or lutz)

-add a position to my combo spin

-improve back cammel position (and forward cammel too but it's not as bad)

-improve the speed of rotation on my flying sit

-improve the split in my spirals

-get my program coreographed

-be able to run (ok i will be happy with a very slow jog) for 20mins again

Sk8Bunny
06-08-2003, 08:11 PM
ohh, great thread/topic!!

Here's my goal list:

-Get double lutz consistent

-gain more speed/power in stroking

-finally pass my pre-juv moves

-get lower on my sit spin and have faster rotations

-not make a fool of myself when i go to summer skate/training camp like i did last year (i was such a dork, well, a klutz is a better word, but that is another story, lol)

-be able to do daily double run-throughs of my pre-juv freeskate program w/ *all* the jumps (right now, i do 2-run throughs a day, but i leave out the hard jumps, not a good thing to be doing...)

mkcrazy02
06-08-2003, 08:42 PM
Pass my Intermeadiate Freestyle on the 11th

Black Sheep
06-08-2003, 08:42 PM
To make new Gold FS program good enough for the Rockford Open. Actually, I'm the only Adult Gold Lady registered, so I get to have a Judges' Critique for my program! I've never had this done before (not for solo, anyway). I hope they aren't too harsh! 8-)

BringontheRain
06-08-2003, 08:57 PM
1 Land double axel consistantly
2 Improve my Senior Moves
3 Get ready for my Junior Free Test
4 Clean Short Run Throughs so I am ready for Lake Placid
5 Double Flip out of F/W = consistant

blondeangl
06-09-2003, 06:02 AM
my goals for the month:
1. pass basic 6
2. make my scratch spin type thing a little bit better (meaning pull in and dont immediatly step out)
3. get the salchow a little better
4. learn something new

Schmeck
06-09-2003, 08:32 AM
blondeangl, salchow and basic 6? Or do you mean FS6?

For me:

1. better/faster setup in my spirals, especially the lovely forward left inside one, that now resembles a fish trying to swim across the air above the ice, arm movements and all :oops:

2. a backspin with 3 rotations and a decent check-out on the correct foot. No step overs onto the left foot, although I bet I could do a nice change foot spin when it's time :lol:

Schmeck

garyc254
06-09-2003, 08:50 AM
Goals for the month:

1. Stay vertical ;)

2. Learn how to skate synchro patterns without falling down, making a fool of myself, hurting myself, or hurting someone else. I'm stressing over this. I didn't realize that skating in a large connected group would be that much more difficult than freestyle or dance. It's tough to jump into a team that has all been skating together for several years.

quarkiki2
06-09-2003, 09:23 AM
Hmm... Let's see...

1. Get FO3s consistent

2. Get FI3s consistent

3. Get forward and backward crossovers smoother and faster

4. Make it to my 30th birthday (June 30) safely and happily

5. Continue running in the mornings. I'm up to 32 minutes or about 3 miles.

That's it for me!

icenut84
06-09-2003, 10:36 AM
My goals for June? Well, they won't be very ambitious I'm afraid - lack of ice time and exams! Oo-er.

1. Have another lesson (I've only had one at this rink so far).
2. Start working on loop and flip again (haven't worked on them properly for months).
3. Conquer the problems I'm having on my spins, dropping to the inside and travelling etc. A good lesson should help a bit.
4. Do well in my exams... 8O

Mrs Redboots
06-09-2003, 11:15 AM
To make the final in at least one dance at the World Challenge
Not to come last in any class at Bracknell (yeah, right!)
Not to turn fifty on Saturday..... oh dear......
To lose 50 lbs.....
Hmmm, something tells me I'm not going to do any of those.....

Debbie S
06-09-2003, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by icenut84

3. Conquer the problems I'm having on my spins, dropping to the inside and travelling etc. A good lesson should help a bit.

If you feel you're always leaning to the inside, you may want to make sure the soles of your boots are even. I know this sounds silly, but that could be the cause of your problem. I've had that problem since I started spinning, and I recently discovered at a fitting for a new pair of skates that the soles of my current boots are slanted in such a way that I lean on the inside of the left blade and the outside of the right - when I stand up straight. The fitter explained that it would make my forward spins travel and make me lean inside and get off-balance, b/c I end up on a deep inside edge after the FO turn into a spin. Sometimes, this uneven-ness happens over time as the leather in the soles starts to wear down; other times, it's a construction defect. You may want to check out the level of your boot heels and soles. As one of the coaches at my rink said, "The blades are true [made of steel] and the boots aren't [b/c of the leather soles]."

Good luck on your exams!

Happy b-day, quarkiki2 and Mrs. Redboots!

My goals:
1. Get loop and flip consistent.
2. Get camel spin.
3. Break in new boots quickly (and here's hoping they come in soon!).

PattyP
06-09-2003, 01:56 PM
1. Skate more.

2. Pass Adult Gold MIF.

I'm not going to get #2 without #1!

PattyP

MissIndigo
06-09-2003, 01:59 PM
1) Get loop jump back from mohawk entry. Have had a block on this jump again for a while.

2) Forget thinking that I will hit my head on flip jump again and just do the dang thing.

3) Get sit spin lower.

4) Get layback to lay back more.

5) Get camel spin faster.

6) Get more control on the MITF power 3's in preparation to test again in August.

7) Fall more...yes, fall more. I had a fall at higher speed last week that was not nearly as bad as my falls at a lower speed. I realized that if I am skating faster and fall, and can feel the fall, I can break it so that I crumple into it and slide on the ice, chanelling the sting away. ;)

blondeangl
06-09-2003, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by Schmeck
blondeangl, salchow and basic 6? Or do you mean FS6? no i mean basic 6 ... i take clinic basic skills group lessons as well as private lessons so i work on the salchow with my coach :D

kayskate
06-09-2003, 04:31 PM
1. Continue to skate 3x/wk
2. Aerobics 3-4x/wk
3. Complete Fiesta Tango w/o hesitating at the Mohawk turn
4. Improve 3turn in Hickory Hoedown

Kay

jazzpants
06-09-2003, 05:25 PM
Here are mine...
Land more loop jumps consistently on one foot and stay landed...AGAIN!!! :(
Get all moves but forward power 3's up to standard for Bronze Moves test. (I know better than to expect my forward power 3's be passing standard in a month, so...) :roll:
Not get myself killed or injured this month... :P

icenut84
06-10-2003, 06:18 AM
Debbie S - thanks for the info. I've had my boots a year and only use them once a week, so I wouldn't have thought they were past it yet. If I do get a lesson, I'll ask the coach. Thanks again

dobiesk8r
06-10-2003, 06:26 AM
To get back to where I was before I took some time off this
winter/spring. That goal was achieved as of yesterday. It
was a very good day in all respects. But I've been quite the
exerciser - taking time off the ice increased my power walking,
trips to the gym, and I just got some really great Pilates
equipment a couple of weeks ago that I use nearly every
night.

Of course where I was could stand improvement in several
areas. For now I shall concentrate on more speed in my
back three turns, a longer, stronger held edge after the turn,
and better left mohawks. That should take...millions of years!

Go figure, my weakest forward three turn, the LI3 has now
become quite strong. It's as though taking time off made
me forget how much I disliked it. It's quite solid now.

becca
06-10-2003, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by icenut84
Debbie S - thanks for the info. I've had my boots a year and only use them once a week, so I wouldn't have thought they were past it yet. If I do get a lesson, I'll ask the coach. Thanks again

The other thing that you can try (at least until you get a lesson and your coach tells you differently) is when you are spinning, press really hard on your babytoe for a front spin or big toe for a back spin (or where the toes meet your feet). If you press really hard in the proper spot, the spin will be much more centered and you shouldn't fall out of it any more. This is what my coach always tells me no matter what position i'm in and it has really worked for me.

sk8clean
06-10-2003, 05:25 PM
My goal for June is to stay off the ice so my sprained ankle totally heals!!!

Terri C
06-11-2003, 07:03 PM
My main goal for the month is to continue the "clean program" streak at Virginia State Games on the 21st. That will mean getting the forward scratch and sit back to full strength!

TreSk8sAZ
06-11-2003, 07:51 PM
Goals for June:

1. Consistently land my loop and my flip CLEANLY
2. Get my spins off my toe pick
3. Perfect all of my dances
4. Perfect my double threes
5. Get my coach to let me start my axel

Pretty much it for June. I'm sure there will be more later, though!

luna_skater
06-11-2003, 11:00 PM
My goal is to pass my Junior Bronze Dances on June 26!! Can't be more specific than that, becuase I've been off the ice for almost a month and have my first lesson back tomorrow.

And sort of an indirectly related skating goal...start jogging to improve my cardio. Bought some new runnin' shoes yesterday, so that will hopefully force me to get out there and put them to good use!

tidesong
06-15-2003, 06:06 AM
June:
Get my ankle healed... so will skate only once a week and not too long and as few jumps as possible.