View Full Version : The term "Silver Dance"...what does it really mean?

FSWer
06-07-2003, 12:02 AM
Say,could someone please help me out? I was loking at a website,and I see the term Silver Dances mentioned a lot. What exactly does it mean to pass your Silver Dance? Thanks.

TreSk8sAZ
06-07-2003, 12:30 AM
The term "Silver Dances" refers to certain dances at a certain level. For example, preliminary dances are the Dutch Waltz, Canasta Tango, and Rhythm Blues. In order to be considered a prelim dancer, you must pass the test on these dances. This is similar for all levels of dance... To pass your Silver dance test you must pass the dances at that level (I don't know exactly which dances those are).

jenlyon60
06-07-2003, 05:13 AM
Rocker Foxtrot, American Waltz and Tango (aka Silver Tango)

arena_gal
06-07-2003, 10:57 AM
Canada:

Skate Canada Site (http://www.skatecanada.ca/english/info/figure/canskate/cantestdance.html)

Junior Silver:
Keats Foxtrot
Harris Tango
American Waltz
Rocker Foxtrot

Senior Silver:
Paso Doble
Starlight Waltz
Blues
Killian
Cha Cha Congelado

There are some rhythms not encountered before this level, but the difficulty in some dances is one set of steps or turns, ie the rocker in the rocker foxtrot and having precise timing and very good expression, especially in the Paso. My favourite of all of these dances is the Killian, that turn! I couldn't do it in a million years but it's fun to watch.

FSWer
06-07-2003, 07:27 PM
So basicly it means to pass all dances at whatever level your at,right?

dancing_queen
06-07-2003, 08:11 PM
exactly!

dbny
06-07-2003, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by FSWer
So basicly it means to pass all dances at whatever level your at,right?

At the Silver level, which is different depending on which country you skate in.

backspin
06-07-2003, 11:09 PM
The test levels for dancers (in the U.S.) are:

preliminary
pre-bronze
bronze
pre-silver
silver
pre-gold
gold
junior international
senior international

There are 3 dances in each level, which you must pass before you can move up to the next level. (Once you get to pre-gold there are 4 dances, & I think there are 5 dances in each international level)

So if someone has passed the Silver test, it means they are working on their pre-gold dances.

sonora
06-12-2003, 04:11 PM
One of the changes at this year's Gov Con eliminated the distinction between Jr and Sr Internationals. The Starlight will become a Pre Gold, and the Midnight Blues will become an International, to make a total of 9 International dances.