View Full Version : Input on blades

Uncle TimButton
06-05-2003, 11:46 AM
I'm in the market for new boots - but my blades are in good shape and according to a reputable sharpener, they have a good deal of life left in them. However, he also mentioned that the blade, a Coronation Comet, has a very large radius in the rocker - that is, the rocker is pretty flat.

When I mentioned my continued struggles with spinning, he said spinning would be more difficult with a flatter rocker...that it's harder to find the center of the rocker and you could go too far up and hit the toe pick. I thought he saw me practicing spins because I find it very difficult to avoid that toe pick.

Now that I'm getting new boots, I'm asking myself, should I switch blades as well? I'm sure that my "technique" is an issue but I'm wondering how much the blade might be. At one point my coach also wondered if there was a blade problem and she had me have the blades rechecked for proper mounting and no damage. When I had them checked, there was no issue discovered.

So, I'd like people's opinion on what's involved in changing blades (other than more cost!), and if transitioning is difficult. In addition, any recommendations on blades would also be great. For information - I'm an adult skater, for about 5 years - am working on adult bronze freestyle and silver moves. My jumps have always been farther ahead of my spins.

Thanks for your help,
utb

Figureskates
06-05-2003, 11:53 AM
Been there....

I started with the Comets and had the same problems due to the flat rocker.

My coach had me switch to the Freestyle Professionals which has a smaller rocker and I found that spins, though not great, are a little easier. I also had better contol on my 3turns and the like.

LWalsh
06-05-2003, 03:06 PM
Hi,

I had Comets for three years up until last month. About two years ago I absolutely could not do a camel spin to save my life. My coach was not one for excuses however. Still I kept telling her I thought it was the blades due to the large radius. As it would be she is the same size foot as I am. She put on my skates one day and did a great camel spin. Not the blades, was the skater. So I kept my mouth shut and persisted in trying to learn the spin. Eventually I did.

If you are used to the Comets, going to a smaller radius will likely make you feel like you are falling over or rocking around on the blades. I just switched to Pattern 99s which are still considered a flat blade at an 8ft rocker. I did notice I wasn't catching the toepicks at all on spins (in fact sometimes I didn't catch it when I wanted/expected to) but I do not attribute that to rocker difference. The Comets were so old and had been sharpened so many times that the toe pick was just physically closer to the ice on the Comets. Had I bought a new pair of Comets, I would have likely experienced some of the same.

The slightly smaller rocker of the Pattern 99s has not made a tremendous difference in my skating overall. It took about a week to get used to them and I do like them a little better than the Comets.

I would be very leary of going to anything much smaller, you will sacrifice stability. I would suggest you try to learn on the Comets (especially since you don't need blades at the moment), in the end you'll be happier. When you do start to progress in spinning you will be solid and well centered. It is not uncommon for adults to have better jumps than spins.

Good luck!

Lara

kayskate
06-05-2003, 03:41 PM
Just looked up a couple of radii. Your Comets have an 8' radius. I use MK Pro that have a 7' radius. Have never changed models, I am satisfied with them. I can spin like a top, though I do not know how much the blades have to do w/ it.

Has your coach given you an opinion? If you can afford new blades, I would get another pair. Why not? You will have to adjust for a few sessions, but you might be better off in the long run.

Kay

skaternum
06-05-2003, 04:48 PM
I think you should switch to new blades because of the rocker issue, but I wouldn't do it at the exact same time as when I got new boots. I did this last time, and it made it virtually impossible to isolate and identify problems with the fit of the boot, placement of the blade, shape of the blade, etc. It was hard to get everything adjusted "just so." I'd recommend breaking in your boots, then switching blades. My 2 cents.

sk8er1964
06-05-2003, 07:46 PM
I had Coronation Aces that had basically been ground flat - no real rocker. Spins were a huge chore. Then I got Ultima Elites, and can now spin on a dime. I don't know if they'd be right for you, but my point is that the freedom of having a decent rocker made spins fun again!

Elsy2
06-05-2003, 09:32 PM
I also went from 7.0' Coronation Aces to 7.5' Ultima Freestyle blades. I thought the transition was pretty huge even though the difference was only .5' on the radius. It took about two or three weeks to fully adjust to them.

Coronation Comets always used to be 8.5' radius. It's very possible changing to an 8.0' radius might be beneficial to you.

I understand Ultimas now are 8.0' radius...they made that change when Jackson took over distribution.

As for spinning...for me the flatter blade is better, as it was like I was on a rocking horse on the Aces. The toepicks on the Ultimas are very similar to Pattern99, the angle of the picks is different than the Aces (maybe the Comets too). I would trip up over the Aces picks far more often than the Ultimas, even though the Ultima picks are larger.

sk8pics
06-06-2003, 06:39 AM
I use MK Professionals, and last year my blades had really flattened out from use and sharpenings. When I got new blades, it made all the difference in my spins. My sharpener last week took some measurements after he sharpened the blades and commented that the change in radius as you go to the rocker was smooth and gradual, and asked if I felt much wobble. Nope, I don't have any troubles like that at all. He said because of that he thought it was a better blade than the Coronation Ace, and that it is probably a good blade for an adult like me (working on adult bronze moves and freestyle).

Good luck!
Pat

Michigansk8er
06-06-2003, 09:31 AM
I'm an adult skater. My coach had me switch from a 7' to an 8' (I now have Pattern 99........had MK Visions before). My spins are much more stable on a flatter blade. I've also read that spinning is easier on a flatter blade (maybe it was referring to adults, can't remember). I was in a panic making the switch. I thought I was doing fine on the 7', and thought it would screw everything up. After a little adjusting (a week or so) I was fine. I love these blades and don't find spinning to be a problem at all. Well, there are problems, but with the me........not the blades.

Aussie Willy
06-07-2003, 02:41 AM
I had problems with my old blades when the rocker got to flat so I suggest get some new blades and you will find spins much easier. My blades are Coronation Ace which are satisfactory for good spins.

flippet
06-09-2003, 02:48 PM
I had MK Professionals, and liked them, but spinning has always been difficult for me. When I got new boots and the Professionals wouldn't fit them, I switched to MK Visions, and I LOVE them...the first time out, I tried a very slow two-foot spin, just fooling around...I zipped around so fast I nearly fell over! I totally wasn't expecting the spin to work so well. My spins showed some major improvement after switching--not instantly, because I still had to learn to spin myself, but it wasn't quite so difficult as it had been.

If you've got money to play with, try a new pair. You can always sell whichever pair you decide not to stick with.