View Full Version : Pre-Comp Warm-up

NickiT
06-24-2002, 01:03 PM
I am competing later this week for the second time and would like some tips on making the most of the 2-3 minute warm-up time we are given. Last year I had a good practice before the competition but the minute I stepped on the ice for the warm-up my legs turned to jelly and I didn't feel that I made good use of the time. I must admit I hate this warm-up as it is so if anyone can give me some tips on keeping focused and staying in control - and not losing my legs, I would be most grateful.

Nicki

TashaKat
06-24-2002, 01:17 PM
[quote:8321979696="NickiT"]I am competing later this week for the second time and would like some tips on making the most of the 2-3 minute warm-up time we are given. Last year I had a good practice before the competition but the minute I stepped on the ice for the warm-up my legs turned to jelly and I didn't feel that I made good use of the time. I must admit I hate this warm-up as it is so if anyone can give me some tips on keeping focused and staying in control - and not losing my legs, I would be most grateful.

Nicki[/quote:8321979696]

Nicki, hi :) Which day are you doing or are you doing both? I'm (hopefully) coming on the Thursday to watch and support :D

I hate warm ups, I like to skate beforehand on a public session, patch, whatever where there is no pressure just so that I 'know' that I can skate :oops: As far as the warm up is concerned my PERSONAL belief is that you shouldn't use it as a practise session, I just go out, do a bit of forwards, a bit of backwards, some turns, a stop or too and (if pressed) a quick run through of each element or the dance. I don't linger much on anything and don't start actively 'working' on anything ...... if you can't do it now these last 3 minutes aren't going to help you! You see a lot of people go out there and practise like mad but what if you miss an element (say, screw up a sit spin?) and it's the end of the warm up? I know that this would throw me .......

I also would say not to go off and do anything totally different from what you would do normally. You need your body to be comfortable in what you are doing, adding 'extras' will only put you under extra stress. I am well known for spending about half of the warm up at the barrier chatting, this is my 'I'm on here and I'm comfortable' bit of the warm up which, to me, is FAR MORE important than stressing myself with extra practise!

Good luck, if you're skating on Thursday please let me know when & I'll come and say 'hi' and be there to cheer you on :)

L x

garyc254
06-24-2002, 03:45 PM
A good use of the warm-up is to inspect and feel the ice. Hard, soft, fast, or slow? Are there areas that haven't frozen (yuk, slush)? Is it heavily pitted since you're the last group before the ice make? Any chunks that might trip you? Any debris on the ice?

As TashaKat said a little backward, forward, turning, etc. Get the feel of the ice and keep your eyes open.

Any time I get on the ice I use the first couple of laps to inspect the ice.

Good luck in your competition!!! :D

Isabelle
06-24-2002, 04:34 PM
Do you do on off ice warm up before hand? If not, you should try it because it really helps!

Elsy2
06-24-2002, 09:12 PM
I've hesitated all day to respond to this thread, but every time I come across it I smile because.......my warmups are total nightmares! I freak over the condition of the ice, because it's always way better than what I'm used to.....I can't bend my knees from the stress of it all and can barely skate. So, I just take the time to try to get my knees to bend, stroking and stroking. I try to get used to the ice, I eek out a few stiff legged jumps which are usually horrible. I go back to my coach to whine that I can't do this....I drink my water because I can't swallow anymore, then it's time to get off. I then calm down and usually do a pretty good job of competing. I don't know how I pull it together after totally losing it on warm up, but I do.

NickiT
06-25-2002, 07:33 AM
Thanks for everyones tips. I'm glad I'm not alone in finding this warm-up hard. I now have something else to worry about. I fell off a step in the garden this morning and in doing so managed to twist my left "good" ankle. Although I saw stars and felt pretty faint for a while afterwards I don't think I've done too much damage. I can walk on it and drive though it is uncomfortable. Just what I don't need two days before competing. I'm meant to have a lesson tomorrow so I'll keep the bandage on and keep up with the icing. So far I've managed to keep the swelling down.

Anyway all being well I skate on Thursday and my class is down for 9.45 - 10.20 am, but Lynne I will be there all day and so I will see you there!!!

Nicki - in need of lots of positive and healing vibes right now!

CanadianSkater
06-25-2002, 08:41 AM
I know what you mean about being nervous warm-ups. I was the same way when I started competing. But this will slowly fade away with experience, like it did for me. Just tell yourself you don't have to be there, you choose to be there, and try to relax. If you make a true effort to relax on warm-up every time you're out there, it will eventually work.

LoopLoop
06-25-2002, 09:21 AM
It's too late for this, but... whenever I have a competition coming up, for about 10 days beforehand I go through my warmup routine at the beginning of each session and then skate my program.

For warmup, I usually stretch off-ice, do floor jumps to loosen up my knees, walk through my program in my sneakers, go to the ladies room about a million times, then get my skates on about 15 minutes before I have to get on the ice. During the on-ice warmup, I do a lap of stroking, a couple of spirals and spread eagles, then go through each spin in the program in order, then the jumps. I only do each one once; if it doesn't work I let it go. If there's time left over at the end of the warmup I'll do another lap of stroking before getting off the ice.

TashaKat
06-25-2002, 10:32 AM
[quote:c6347ddb80="NickiT"]Anyway all being well I skate on Thursday and my class is down for 9.45 - 10.20 am, but Lynne I will be there all day and so I will see you there!!!

Nicki - in need of lots of positive and healing vibes right now![/quote:c6347ddb80]

[size=18:c6347ddb80][color=blue:c6347ddb80]Healing vibes ....... positive vibes ...... healing vibes ....... positive vibes ....... healing vibes ........ ....... positive vibes :D[/color:c6347ddb80][/size:c6347ddb80]

Nicki, I have to skate first (at AP ... which is a bummer as I wanted to do patch at Bracknell) but will be leaving there around 8.30 to come straight to Bracknell SO traffic permitting (PLEASE) I will HOPEFULLY be there for your class ......... PLEASE! If you're there all day I will catch up with you at some point and, at least, will get to snatch a pic of you on the podium :)

L x

Mrs Redboots
06-25-2002, 11:16 AM
I [i:2435981af2]hope[/i:2435981af2] she is planning to stay all day - I'm not competing until the afternoon!

Okay, warm-up. Well, what my coach has always taught me to do is to get thoroughly warm off-ice first. This isn't difficult at Bracknell, as it is an extremely warm rink, unlike many, so you aren't shivering in six layers of sweatshirts before you start! There's plenty of room to run up and down and jump on the spot and that sort of stuff - and if this weather holds, you can do it in the carpark, too. If you feel very nervous, focus on your breathing, breathing in to the count of 4 or even 6, making sure the breath goes as deep as possible, holding for 4, and exhaling for 8. And repeat. Visualise all the negativity and nervousness being breathed out, and serenity and self-assurance being breathed in.

Anyway, when you are on the ice, skate round a couple of times [i:2435981af2]hard[/i:2435981af2], taking due note of the condition of the ice and if anybody in the previous class has dug holes in it. Then run through your programme - not in entirety, just doing the jumps and other elements in order and roughly where they're going to go. If you should happen to have been drawn first, come off the ice when they warn you there's one minute left, have a drink of water (if you have no family member or coach to hold it, I should be there by then, and I'll happily "put you on the ice", holding your water and purse and reminding you of what you need to do), take your jacket off and make sure your dress is straight, etc. If you are drawn later in the group, when you come off, have a drink and keep moving and breathing. Flex your legs and ankles, and focus on your breathing if you're nervous. Your mouth may go dry - mine always does - so take lots of sips of water. And you may find you are totally unable to talk, or conversely, totally unable to stop talking! It's okay, it's only adrenalin. When the person before you takes to the ice, take off your jacket and get yourself ready, then when their marks are being announced, get on the ice and skate round in small circles until they call your name.

I find the traditional UK warmup of 1 minute longer than your programme is much easier than the 6 minutes we get in American-rules competitions! I never know what to do with myself....

jenlyon60
06-25-2002, 12:30 PM
For Pro-Am, we did 1 casual lap for me to get the feel of the ice (i.e. where the ruts were), then 1 all-out strong stroking lap. Then when they put the music on for the dance, we did a couple single patterns with a break in between. Break was basically so that we could re-cue to do a pattern to the musical selection that would match our skating order. Then a couple bits and pieces, and that was it.

And I didn't watch any of the teams ahead or after me, in either class. For Pre-Silver, I wanted the tune-out time. For Silver, I was in "mad dress changing mode"