View Full Version : Reporting in..........Great to Skate clinic

Michigansk8er
06-24-2002, 11:55 AM
I had a GREAT time Saturday. There were actually 3 other adults there, so we were grouped together!!!! :D

I was assigned to the first group, so we got there early and were fortunate enough to be sitting there when Todd walked in.........and he stayed in the lobby for a bit, which was good since I was talking with Olga (she used to coach where I skate). Anyhow, my daughter and I each got pictures with Todd, got to chat for a few minutes, and I got my CSOI program signed!

On the ice we were divided into groups. Other coaches at the rink pitched in to help, so I had one-on-one time with someone the entire time on the ice (45 minutes). I started out with spins with an ice dancer (can't remember her name). After than Todd stepped in, and I got some spin pointers on my camel and my back scratch. My daughter was able to get some pictures from the sidelines too. Of course, she managed to cut me out of a few because she was too busy watching Todd (she's about his age, and was totally ga-ga.........I guess they never outgrow it). After I did spins with Todd I got to work on jumps with Richard Callaghan. Let me tell you, my legs were NERVOUS. He asked to see my flip, my lutz and my loop/loop. He gave me pointed, had me do a few again.......and was honest about my pathetic loop/loop, but had a good sense of humor about it. He was very easy to talk to. Todd was very complimentary...........picking out the good points of what I did instead of the bad things (which were there, let me tell you), and then giving me some pointers. I also worked on jumps a bit with Craig Joeright. What a fun day!!!!! At the end I was asked to stay on the ice with 2 little girls while a photographer took some publicity photos. Another photographer was there from somewhere else (I should have asked) and called me over to ask my name and a few questions. I doubt they will use any of the old lady pictures, but it was fun. I should have asked if I could get copies. Suppose not, eh, since I signed a release???? Oh well, if the clinic will be in your area, sign up. It was a lot of fun!!!!!

Debbie S
06-24-2002, 12:27 PM
Wow! I've read some other reports, too, and it sounds like everyone had a lot of fun. I entered for the Philadelphia clinic, even though I live in Baltimore, but what's a 2-hour drive when Todd is involved? LOL! I'm actually his age, too, and yes, I'm ga-ga. I met him once before and was quite proud that I was actually able to speak intelligible sentences!

I hope future clinics will have "guest coaches" too - I wonder, though, if the reason Jenny K. and the others helped out was b/c the clinic was in their home rink. Maybe future clinics will have other skaters from their area - which would mean the Philly one could have...hmmm...Elvis! Oh, please let me win!
:)

Patsy
06-24-2002, 02:41 PM
"After I did spins with Todd I got to work on jumps with Richard Callaghan. " 8O 8O 8O 8O

I'm just trying to imagine typing this sentence!

Michigansk8er
06-24-2002, 06:41 PM
"Oh, please let me win!"

I'm sure you will. They chose around 240 people and divide them into different clinics throughout the day. They give you 4 days to respond, then fill the empty spots from a second drawing. That's how one of the teens I skate with got to go. She didn't hear about it until Thursday, and the event was Saturday. Good luck, and have fun!!!!! :D

dani
06-24-2002, 06:48 PM
[quote:e4edd6c693="Patsy"]"After I did spins with Todd I got to work on jumps with Richard Callaghan. " 8O 8O 8O 8O

I'm just trying to imagine typing this sentence![/quote:e4edd6c693]

;-) I really enjoyed reading this! ;-)

Hugs,
Danielle

garyc254
06-25-2002, 04:09 PM
NOT FAIR!!!! :twisted:

They need to have a contest for us guys to attend with someone like Nicole Bobek. :wink:

Glad you had such a terrific experience. A real chance of a lifetime. :D

Michigansk8er
06-25-2002, 05:32 PM
Maybe next year???? There were some young women there (Jenny Kirk and Larissa Spielberg) helping out, but definitely not Nicole.

It was a fun time!!!!! :D