View Full Version : No more pre-silver dance solos....

backspin
06-02-2003, 10:00 PM
What do you think?

I'm surprised this passed--in case you weren't aware, this rule change takes effect immediately.

Personally, I think it was a bad call.

btw, Starlight Waltz will now be a pre-gold, effective in Sept.

CanAmSk8ter
06-04-2003, 05:06 PM
I also think this is a bad idea- I have yet to talk to anyone who doesn't think it's a bad idea. I think the quality of skating we see on Silver tests is going to drop dramatically. I've seen many Pre-Silver skaters with good power, flow, extension, etc. who fail because they do large parts of their solos off-time. Putting these kids onto their Silvers without addressing this issue doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

vesperholly
06-04-2003, 10:28 PM
I agree, it will just extend the quitting phase to Silver rather than Pre-Silver. A lot of kids get stuck on the Foxtrot and European and quit, now they will get stuck on the Tango and American and quit.

Jocelyn

rinsk
06-11-2003, 07:07 PM
Anyone know when in September for Starlight?
(it's decision time for whether to rush to get it ready to test as an International or let it be...)/

backspin
06-12-2003, 09:20 AM
the Starlight rule change takes effect when the new rulebooks are issued; don't know the exact date. USFSA probably can tell you.

vesperholly
06-12-2003, 09:32 AM
The rule will change on Sept 1, or when the rulebooks are printed. Safe to say that after Sept 1, Starlight is Pre-Gold.

Jocelyn

sonora
06-12-2003, 02:37 PM
Interestingly enough, I think the effective date this year is Sept. 2 due to Sept. 1 being Labor Day.

Re no solo on Pre Silvers, I also think it's a bad idea. For one thing, sometimes a skater is able to save a test with a great solo following a soso partnering of the dance.

Mrs Redboots
06-13-2003, 05:47 AM
I'm told skating tests are being changed by the ISU to make them more global, so a pre-Silver in the USA is the same as a pre-Silver in the UK is the same as a pre-Silver in France..... how true this is, I don't know, but this is the rumour going round here.

dooobedooo
06-13-2003, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by Mrs Redboots
I'm told skating tests are being changed by the ISU to make them more global, so a pre-Silver in the USA is the same as a pre-Silver in the UK is the same as a pre-Silver in France..... how true this is, I don't know, but this is the rumour going round here.

Do you think the Rest of the World is ready yet for our Riverside Rhumba ...?!

Mrs Redboots
06-13-2003, 01:48 PM
It's not a bad dance for its level, actually, if you do it partnered; all those changes of hold aren't easy to learn.

CanAmSk8ter
06-13-2003, 04:51 PM
I didn't know that the whole world was trying to get the dances more on track with each other. I do know the reason for some of the changes in the US was to get us more on track with Canada. When we do the North American Challenge Skate competitions for the novices, the USFSA and Skate Canada have usually been doing different compulsories in any given year. Now, we'll be doing more of the same ones. I believe that was also one of the main reasons for making the Starlight Waltz a Pre-Gold (Novice-level) dance instead of an international- in Canada, it's on the Senior Silver and is done at Novice.

sonora
06-13-2003, 05:16 PM
It wasn't done to match Canada, but to match ISU requirements for compulosry dance.

This is also why Senior competitors will only have to do one compulsory, while Juniors will do two. We are attempting to coordinate with ISU requirements so our skaters will prepared in all international competition, not just the NACS.