View Full Version : Which Summer Competitions Is Everyone Doing?

love2sk8
06-01-2003, 10:42 AM
I was just wondering which summer competitions people were entering in, and in what level!

Black Sheep
06-01-2003, 12:12 PM
Adult Gold FS, in late June! 8-)

becca
06-01-2003, 12:25 PM
Lake Placid (the summer freeskate championships) in open juvenile. This is my first competition not in Canada.

Slightly off topic but can someone tell me what to expect? I think that I will have 2flip, 2sal, lp/2lp, 2lutz, axel/2toe, lp (out of ft work)/hop/flip, another axel, combo spin (cm/sit/bk sit/bk upright with arms over head), flying sit/ bk sit, and either a layback or a flying cammel. I'm pretty good artisticly but seriously lacking in the speed department. Also how old would you say that most people in the event would be (average or age range)? Thanks (sorry for my little tangent here)

Mel1977
06-01-2003, 12:54 PM
State Games of America in Hartford, CT; Pre-Juv adult compulsory, Silver footwork, and silver spotlight.

Anyone else going?

BringontheRain
06-01-2003, 02:43 PM
I am doing Lake Placid as well :) Novice Short ... decided against doing long

Slightly off topic but can someone tell me what to expect? I think that I will have 2flip, 2sal, lp/2lp, 2lutz, axel/2toe, lp (out of ft work)/hop/flip, another axel, combo spin (cm/sit/bk sit/bk upright with arms over head), flying sit/ bk sit, and either a layback or a flying cammel. I'm pretty good artisticly but seriously lacking in the speed department. Also how old would you say that most people in the event would be (average or age range)? Thanks (sorry for my little tangent here)

I think w/ 5 doubles you will be just fine. I think I told you this before but the last three years my friends or I have been the silver medallist for Open Juvenile. In 2000, her hardest jump attempted was double flip. I don't think she skated clean either. Then I placed 2nd in 2001. I did 2flip, axel 2sal, 2loop1loop, popped 2lutz, 2loop. Then last year her program included like the same as mine. The average age is 17ish and the hardest jump is usually barely double lutz and your occaissonal double double. You will be good with your program :)

Figureskates
06-01-2003, 03:02 PM
I will be at Lake Placid as well, not to compete, but rather to help out since my club is host.

TreSk8sAZ
06-01-2003, 03:27 PM
Just did Desert Breeze (adult team competition), doing Cactus Classic (Scottsdale) in Canasta Tango and Rhythm Blues... don't think I'm doing freeskate and compulsory because of a cracked rib... can't practice the jumps and spins.... edges will be bad enough when I get back on ice later this week.

becca
06-01-2003, 04:06 PM
thanks BringontheRain!

sk8er1964
06-01-2003, 05:17 PM
There's one comp I might do in the fall, but probably none until next year. I spent so much time testing to be able to compete at AN last year that we didn't have the time to spend on my basic skating skills. (BTW, for the few of you who don't already know, I came back to the ice last year after 21 years off). This year, the goal is to improve the basics, get healthy from this STUPID injury that is on month 5, and then to have at least 2 doubles by next year's AN.

If I'm doing comps, I won't have the time to work on the other stuff.
(The learning curve time is a bit longer for adults :D )

CanAmSk8ter
06-01-2003, 06:56 PM
I'm doing my club competition in late July, but I don't know what level yet. I'll probably skate up and do Senior, since it's a dance I know and I'm really feeling too old to compete against the Novices (and Junior is a dance I hate). It'll be my first time in Senior. I'm also doing Novice at Lake Placid dance in August. I wanted to do Junior this year, but of course they picked one of the only dances for that level that I'm really bad at.

LoopLoop
06-02-2003, 10:59 AM
I'm skating Silver FS at Chesapeake Open (the end of this month) and probably the Hershey Open in August.

flo
06-02-2003, 11:07 AM
Artistic at the Chesapeake Open. Have fun loops, and good luck!

LoopLoop
06-02-2003, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by flo
Artistic at the Chesapeake Open. Have fun loops, and good luck!

Thanks, flo! It will be my first time out with my program, and my first time doing an axel in competition.

Do you know when the schedule will be out for Chesapeake?

flo
06-02-2003, 11:34 AM
Hi Loops,
The schedule is usually out a week to two before the event. I did the silver event for a couple of years, and it was usually a good group. Good luck with your new program and axel - it's a great event to try things out. It's much earlier this year, it'susually held much later in the season.

skaternum
06-02-2003, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by LoopLoop
It will be my first time out with my program, and my first time doing an axel in competition.

Good luck, looploop! You're a VBS (Very Brave Skater) to try the axel. I'm impressed. :bow: Let us know how it goes.

PattyP
06-02-2003, 09:46 PM
I'm going to do the Glacier Falls Open at Disney Ice at the end of July.

I'm testing Adult Gold MITF on June 24....Ugh!

Patty

becca
06-03-2003, 12:01 AM
One more question about US competitions (Lake Placid specifically). How long would the warm-up for open juvenile be?

BringontheRain
06-03-2003, 05:52 AM
becca ~ it's either 5 or 6 minutes ... I'm thinking 5?? but unsure

sk8er1964
06-03-2003, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by PattyP

Patty

Good luck on the test!

LoopLoop
06-03-2003, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by skaternum
You're a VBS (Very Brave Skater) to try the axel. I'm impressed. Let us know how it goes.

I don't know, I might be a VSS (Very Stupid Skater). ;)

LoopLoop
06-03-2003, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by PattyP
Patty

Good luck, Patty! And let us know how it goes. I'm tentatively planning on that test at the beginning of August.

NoVa Sk8r
06-03-2003, 10:20 AM
I'm possibly going to be competing in this August's Hershey Open (my first adult silver freestyle event ... gulp) if I don't chicken out! But I've heard mixed things about the rink. Can anyone clarify or assuage my fears?

And does anyone know of any other adult men going? I'm hoping for a good turnout, though i won't hold my breath.

And what's up with them having every type of event but adult pairs? I cry foul! :P

Candleonwater
06-03-2003, 11:25 AM
<<But I've heard mixed things about the rink>>

What kind of mixed things?

skaternum
06-03-2003, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by NoVa Sk8r
And what's up with them having every type of event but adult pairs? I cry foul! :P

Yeah, good point. Foul! Foul! (We wouldn't do it anyway, but still ... ! We're about to start working on our new Faux Pairs program. <gulp>) Lots of comps don't even offer adult pairs. Our State Games didn't offer Adult Pairs either.

flo
06-03-2003, 11:59 AM
Hi,
I competed in the pairs at the Chesapeake Open a few years ago. However the pairs have been decreasing, and no one has entered in quite a while. As it was we only had at most three entries.
If you have three couples who wish to compete, let the organizers know!

Sk8Bunny
06-03-2003, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by TreSk8sAZ
Just did Desert Breeze (adult team competition), doing Cactus Classic (Scottsdale) in Canasta Tango and Rhythm Blues... don't think I'm doing freeskate and compulsory because of a cracked rib... can't practice the jumps and spins.... edges will be bad enough when I get back on ice later this week.

I didnt do Desert Breeze but i think i am doing Cactus Classic. It will depend if i have my double jumps for the preliminary level yet.

love2sk8
06-03-2003, 04:34 PM
Theres so many American competitions that people are attending this summer! Anyone doing Canadian competitions?

Stormy
06-03-2003, 07:41 PM
Well I tried to do the Atlanta Open but since I'm not 25 yet (I will be in August) they won't let me compete Adult. Phooey. :(
I will try to do: Charter Oak, Cranberry, definitely Peach Classic. I will probably do all those at Silver level.
I also have to do ALL my Adult tests between September & the deadline for Sectionals and Nationals since I want to compete Gold. No pressure! :)

StarshineXavier
06-03-2003, 07:56 PM
I'm not competing this summer, but I have friends doing Summer Sizzle and the Thornhill competition. I'm going to try to go to each and watch my friends skate.

lizzz
06-04-2003, 12:43 AM
I'm doing the Wildrose in Edmonton the first weekend of August..
prelim ladies, elements and the open adult freeskate. I did it last year and it was alot of fun.There is a NAC event associated with the comp this year so it should be fun to watch!:D

becca
06-04-2003, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by StarshineXavier
I'm not competing this summer, but I have friends doing Summer Sizzle and the Thornhill competition. I'm going to try to go to each and watch my friends skate.

Hey, let me know which days your going to be in Thornhill and maybe we can meet. I will probably be there for most of the competition either volunteering or watching (there are people on me session skating at every level from Juvenile to Senior and we have singles and pairs so I should be up there a lot). Who/what are you going to see?

StarshineXavier
06-04-2003, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by becca
Hey, let me know which days your going to be in Thornhill and maybe we can meet. I will probably be there for most of the competition either volunteering or watching (there are people on me session skating at every level from Juvenile to Senior and we have singles and pairs so I should be up there a lot). Who/what are you going to see?

I have friends who are competing in Novice ladies and Pre-Novice and Novice dance, and possibly Pre-Novice mens. I'd also like to see the Senior Ladies and Men's events. When and if I end up going, I'll definitely let you know.

love2sk8
06-04-2003, 12:12 PM
I'm also maybe doing Thornhill this year...but I'm not sure. The Edmonton competition should be fun to watch for the people who are attending!

Black Sheep
06-04-2003, 05:49 PM
I'm also hoping to do Gold FS at the DuPage Open in August....8-)

rinsk
06-11-2003, 07:13 PM
I'm doing Lake Placid solo dance (Novice and Junior - I hear you about the draw of dances for Junior, CanAmSk8er: but I'm supposed to be working on Westminster anyways so I'm just going to swallow my pride and show the world how ugly a swing rocker can look) if I'm allowed to get the week off. Otherwise, I'm doing the Champlain Valley competition that same weekend in Senior solo dance, Novice restricted freestyle and Novice showcase.

spiderman
06-11-2003, 09:22 PM
is anyone doing liberty?

spiderman
06-11-2003, 09:23 PM
pardon me- Liberty Open (tee-hee!)

flo
06-16-2003, 09:17 AM
Hi,
The schedule for the Chesapeake Open is available at the Baltimore Figure skating club at:
http://www.baltofsc.org

CanAmSk8ter
06-16-2003, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by rinsk
I'm just going to swallow my pride and show the world how ugly a swing rocker can look)

Not uglier than mine, I promise!

land64shark
06-16-2003, 05:17 PM
My juvenile skater is doing:

Atlanta Open

Liberty Open

Orange Blossom

Skate Suncoast

South Atlantic regionals