View Full Version : Dilemma about skating in a show--need advice

mikawendy
05-30-2003, 09:33 PM
Hi everyone! The skating club at the rink where I take my skating lessons is putting on a summer skating show and they're doing an adult number. Some of the club members are pushing hard for me and some other adults to do the show, but I'm on the fence.

Since you all were so great at helping dbny sort out her testing dilemma, I was wondering if I could ask you for your perspectives on this. I have to decide by Tuesday, June 3.

As far as I see it, here are the pros and cons:

Pros
--It would be fun to skate in a show.
--The adults doing the show seem very excited about it, and I like skating in that atmosphere.
--The rehearsals are mainly on the weekends, easy time slot for me.
--It would be a new experience.

Cons
--With the practices, my regular lessons and practice, and the excellent edge class that I really want (and need) to take in July, I'll be skating 4 days a week. This is more than I've ever skated before.
--I will be coming off of a 3-week break of no skating.
--I had a knee injury this spring and I'm worried that if I overdo it so suddenly, I'll re-injure myself. I wouldn't want that, and I wouldn't want to pull out at the last minute.
--There's a $50 fee to participate (to pay for ice and pro time). (But the fee doesn't seem so odd to me because most ballet school productions that I danced in had a $125 fee to pay for drycleaning, rehearsal assistants, and the auditorium.)

Thanks for any advice!!!!

ChristianeDK
05-31-2003, 04:26 AM
Do it! But be careful not to injure yourself and be ready to frop out if you feel this is happening.

It's a great feeling to participate in a show and to be part of the creation of something. Skatingwise, I think, it'll be an experince which will teach you a lot. Sure it'll be hard, but it'll probably also be a lot of fun and you'll feel very proud when the work is done. :D

yuffie
05-31-2003, 08:53 AM
I say go for it too! My first ice show was an adult group number. and it was great fun. Those who were more skilled had step outs that had more difficult elements. My step out had a mohawk and a long spiral. We had great run throughs, but ended up messing up the actual show program pretty badly with everyone out of position by end....oops. Still is was a great experience that I look back on fondly. My advice is to put in elements or sequences that you are comfortable with, don't try to do anything that's not very consisent for you.

Elsy2 (on Yuffie's computer again...)

flo
06-02-2003, 10:50 AM
Mika,
I've been in the shows there, and they are a lot of fun. But as you said, they eat up enormous amounts of time, and the fee is high for the amount of instruction time. Most of the time is spent getting the kids in order. If you would like to be in a show, you are welcome to join us at Northwest for the annual all-adult show (no fee) this summer. There's also an all adult class on Wednesday nights doing choreography, moves and fs if you're interested.
Who is teaching the edge class?

garyc254
06-02-2003, 11:02 AM
The only time I've performed in front of an audience was in a Spring show. We had a blast.

Just be careful of your injury and have fun.

yuffie
06-02-2003, 01:46 PM
(This is me)

Ice shows are always fun. Especially if it's a group number because your usually out there with skaters that are at your skating level. I think you should go for it because it's a great experience and you can tell all you non-skating you were in an ice show.

Even if we say go for it it's still your decision ;)

mikawendy
06-02-2003, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by flo
Who is teaching the edge class?

Jeff Nolt is--it's Thursday evenings in July and August during the Dance/Moves session at Ice World. I'm not sure of the exact time, Debbie S. may know. I think the pro fee and ice time put together are $16.

flo
06-02-2003, 03:17 PM
Thanks, I think I have ice then, but if not, I'll go. He's an excellent teacher.

mikawendy
06-02-2003, 06:27 PM
Hi everyone--
Thanks for the advice. I think I will go ahead and do the show--I have more time in the summer for this than I would around Christmastime to do a winter show. I think it will be a lot of fun because all of the adults are so enthusiastic about it, and during rehearsals we will only be sharing the ice with one other group of people (the very small tots, who I think will be supervised by a different choreographer).
Thanks!!!
-mikawendy

Debbie S
06-03-2003, 02:43 PM
You guys helped convince me, too. I figure I've been taking lessons for almost 2 years, it's about time I was in a show.

Maybe next year, I'll actually have an individual program so that I can be in the all-adult show at flo's rink!

flo
06-04-2003, 10:54 AM
Hi Debbie,
You and Mika are always welcome at teh ICOB shows. I'd like to put a group number together for the adults - we'll see what we come up with.
Enjoy

Black Sheep
06-04-2003, 05:46 PM
If I can be the only adult in my (local seasonal) rink's annual Ice Theatre, you two ladies can most certainly skate adult group numbers in your shows. Go for it and kick some butt! 8-)