View Full Version : Rink problems

sk8er1964
05-28-2003, 04:16 PM
Hi all. I was reading Kay's site, and she wrote about how her rink cancelled a session.

2 weeks ago I went to skate one day and the rink was stuffed full of a busload of little kids. I skate at lunch most days, and didn't have time to go anywhere else. I certainly was not going to skate on a session with 90 elementary school kids. This upset me quite a bit - not necessarily that they had scheduled the field trip during open skate, but that I had been there already that week and there was no notice that this was going to happen. If I had known, I would have gone to a different rink (and actually, in part because this is not the first time this rink's done this, I am starting to go to another rink).

My home club ice rink, on the other hand, is terrific - club ice is never cancelled, and if anything else is they put up notices on every door in the place, plus on their website.

So, how's your rink about stuff like this?

flippet
05-28-2003, 05:17 PM
That kind of thing happens occasionally at the rink I used to skate at. Another adult and I made friends out of the rink manager and the teen skate guards, so although there usually wasn't any kind of announcement about busloads of schoolkids, if they knew in advance, they usually told us, and we'd go skate at another rink that day. They also were really good about (quietly) offering us otherwise unused ice time later in the day, or time when it was just the skate guards flicking a few pucks around.

It was a university rink, though--I doubt most municipal or privately owned rinks would be quite that flexible.

CanAmSk8ter
05-28-2003, 05:39 PM
If your rink is anything like my old rink, the employees may not have known either. I worked at my old rink, and we were never told about groups coming in during public skate. It is technically public skate, so the school group may not have told the rink in advance either. I know how annoying it is- this same rink has a mid-afternoon public skate that is convinient for both my coach and me to do lessons on, but we don't because you never know when one of the local groups of homeschoolers is going to appear. Any time any of the figure skaters say anything about it, they're told that if it's an issue they should come to freestyle, not public skate.

Hit send too soon- I was going to add that the rink has no real motivation to encourage figure skaters to do public because they make three dollars for the ninety-minute afternoon public versus eleven dollars for a walk-on freestyle. (I wish they would encourage the younger beginners to do public instead, but that another story. ANYONE is allowed on freestyle at this rink, which has a huge Learn-to-Skate program.)

Black Sheep
05-28-2003, 06:09 PM
At both the rinks where I am currently skating, the people in charge of this sort of thing are kind enough to post notices (on the glass doors) in advance when certain freestyle and/or public sessions are going to be cancelled and why--due to a test session, competition, or whatever. 8-)

skaternum
05-28-2003, 08:04 PM
While I sympathize with your frustration (been there, done that), we have to remember that it's a PUBLIC skate. It would be nice if the rink had told you, but they're really under no obligation to do so. It's just a risk you take if you skate on an open, public session. The only way to guard against it is to skate on private club ice, a rink-run figure skating session, or rent the ice yourself.

sk8er1964
05-28-2003, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by skaternum
While I sympathize with your frustration (been there, done that), we have to remember that it's a PUBLIC skate. It would be nice if the rink had told you, but they're really under no obligation to do so. It's just a risk you take if you skate on an open, public session. The only way to guard against it is to skate on private club ice, a rink-run figure skating session, or rent the ice yourself.

I don't quite agree with this, and I'll tell you why. As I said before, I have no problem with them filling the public session with a field trip. What I have a problem with is not telling their core group of lunch time skaters. I know their business is to make money - and 6 or so adults at 4 dollars each doesn't quite cut it. You don't schedule an elementary school field trip without at least a week's notice - because the schools need parental permission. They could have put a one page notice on the front doors.

However, they also won't cancel drop in hockey on the other rink (ice that often stands empty) while the public session is full of kids. Last year I even asked to skate on that rink until somebody showed up for hockey and they said no.

It is common courtesy to at least attempt to inform your regulars of a change in schedule. People depend on it, and it is good customer service. Also, this is the only rink in the area that is so rude to their regulars.

They have cancelled freestyle sessions with no notice too.

So, the result is that everybody (myself included) talks about how they don't care about figure skaters, and adult lunch time skaters. And they are left to wonder why they can't sell ice.

I have literally 1/2 dozen rinks within 15 minutes from home and work, all of which have summer ice. I can (and have) taken my business elsewhere, and I have told many other adult skaters of this rink's unhelpfullness. I feel bad for those who get treated this way with less options. Also, I don't think that the goal of making money means that you shoudn't use common manners. Ice rinks shouldn't be above that.

Chico
05-28-2003, 11:59 PM
I skate at a private rink and occasionally something comes up that management forgot to tell us about. It's usually hockey. It is annoying when you've made a long drive or something, but it happens so rare that I try not to have a fit. Most days things are great. Nothing is perfect, mistakes happen, and understanding is needed. It's handy to have a phone tree or something when the zamboni breaks. Earlier skaters can pass the news on to later skaters. I'm lucky because my rink is very supportive to the adult crowd. Because of this many adult skaters have moved to "my" rink. My rink is a small little community and friendly to all. I can't complain.

Chico

dooobedooo
05-29-2003, 04:59 AM
This sort of thing usually happens when there is a change of management. If you look at it from another point of view, you could say that it is potentially bringing another few kids into ice skating - which can only be good for the sport. I've been through very timewasting and aggravating permutations of this at various rinks - they may suddenly start cancelling public sessions for hockey or private functions - and really it is just bad management not to inform the public.

Suggest you find out the name of the ice rink manager, and also of their boss. Write to them and ask if they can post advance details of large group bookings or ice-time cancellations - in the rink foyer, on the noticeboard, on the internet and with the rink reception staff. Mention that this represents better customer service and avoids unnecessary journeys and disappointment etc - not just for rink regulars but for the public at large.

If it is going to become a regular thing, you could then ask one of the reception staff to ring you as and when, but you may need to give them a small tip to do this.

Alexeiskate
05-29-2003, 07:29 AM
I agree with skaternum that the rink has no obligation to inform the "regulars" if a public session is going to be filled with bus load of kids. You're just another paying customer in a public session, even if you are there everyday during lunch time.

Alexa
05-29-2003, 07:49 AM
I can relate to this situation as well. I have taken some lessons at the rink in my town, and found out quickly that weekends were not the time to go if you want to avoid crowds, so occasionally I would go at lunchtime. One day I came and there was a large amount of people, which was unusual, and found out it was a large group that came together. I too understood that they have a right to be there, but was annoyed that I was taking the time to come there only to find out that there were too many people there to be able to accomplish anything.

Along with that, I noticed many of the times I went to the rink, lessons included, the ice obviously had not been cleared recently, so it was not a very good surface to skate on. Based on lack of time and ice conditions, I just don't have the time to focus on taking lessons, and decided only to go recreationally on occasion.

Add to this that the last group of lessons I took, I only took to decide if I wanted to take more lessons or give it up. Well, I think I got my message--after my first lesson that session, one of my ankles swelled up. It did not hurt or hamper activity, but it was definitely swollen. I must have aggravated a tendon or ligament or both. I didn't fall or do anything that obviously caused it, but something did. So, I have been to the doctor, xray, and physical therapy, and it is finally closer to normal, but not all of the way yet. I guess it will just take time, but I am reluctant to skate for a while, as I don't want to aggravate it further. I paid the full amount for 4 lessons, only got 2 in, but did get a certificate to do some free public skates that I can do when I want to.

So, those skating lessons turned into a lot of money...thank goodness for health insurance which made it a lot cheaper than it could have been.

Elsy2
05-29-2003, 07:54 AM
Yes, I've had this happen several time over the years. The office will try to forewarn us regulars when a group is coming in, but sometimes we are all surprised to see that bus in the parking lot.....

If it is a middleschool group of older kids, I've gotten on with them and have done OK staying in the middle practicing spins and a few jumps. They tend to skate for awhile and then just hang out together leaving plenty of room.

There is one smaller group that comes about every few months. The teachers are nuns and they get out there and do quite a nice job on the ice, even with those bulky habits on. I'm sure one of those nuns skated as a kid.

Generally, our rink does not post any notices of these groups, and they are using freestyle session time, not public session.

Michigansk8er
05-29-2003, 09:55 AM
I've had contracted freestyle sessions canceled mid-session because hockey wanted the ice. As a result, I ended up losing a lesson because this was one of my lesson sessions and my coach was totally booked. Of course, this is the same rink (I don't skate there anymore) that just tossed the club out without notice or explanation........just a letter. The skating director has the notion that with the club gone the LTS program will grow. How, I'll never know........since LTS is a rink-run program. All figure skating ice is also rink managed. This is also the same rink that recently tried to combine the morning freestyle and speed skating sessions. The logic.............the figure skaters could skate in the middle and the speed skaters could circle round them. I kid you not. The amazing thing is rink management actually thought that the figure skaters would stay with the club out the door. They've lost both the figure skaters and speed skaters, as a result. Those of us who drop in now and then won't either, as we are standing behind the club. Anyhow, back to the original question, I've been lucky with being told about groups coming in where I've skated. Once in awhile they forget to say something, but generally not. I kind of got in the habit of asking each week.

jazzpants
05-29-2003, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by Michigansk8er
This is also the same rink that recently tried to combine the morning freestyle and speed skating sessions. The logic.............the figure skaters could skate in the middle and the speed skaters could circle round them. I kid you not. That's our Monday night public session!!! :P :twisted:

Sorry! Couldn't resist, but that really is our Monday night session, since our ice guard is a speed skater and he got some of his speed skating buddies to show up. Our Monday night session has always been known to be yet another informal FS session. :P A few hockey skaters, skating school people, other coaches (like my coach) and "college kids going on a skate date" and you got Monday nights! :D

And no, it's almost impossible to practice moves or your program in this session. (Trust me! I've tried. Doesn't stop my coach though...) :P

Michigansk8er
05-29-2003, 12:04 PM
I guess I could see that happening on a public session, but not on a regularly scheduled freestyle session (which this was). Priot to this whacky decision there was a speed skating session on one rink and freestyle on the other. Some nut figured they could save money by combining the groups. Shows what he knows about both of the sports. LOL!!! :roll:

skaternum
05-29-2003, 12:33 PM
Getting back to what sk8er1964 originally posted, alienating some of your regular customers may be a stupid business decision, but it isn't "wrong." They advertised a public session; they held a public session. I still don't think they were under any obligation to inform anyone as to who else is coming to a public session. I don't believe there was any implicit contract between the regulars and the rink. Annoying, yes; wrong, no.

Some of the other stuff people have posted about ranges from contractually wrong to annoying to stupid. I'm always amazed at what rink management thinks is a great way to run their business. Cancelling sessions at the last minute, adding sessions without any forewarning (then complaining that nobody is skating), combining speed skating with figure skating (!). Where did these people learn their business skills?

jazzpants
05-30-2003, 12:51 AM
Re: the original topic...

FWIW: At my rink, we occasionally have LARGE field trips full of KIDS coming in and there are no notice. HOWEVER, I've learned of a way to find out. Each Monday at my rink there is a new schedule of skating events, b-day's, etc... that comes out. That list is usually only for the cashier at the window!!! HOWEVER, if I call and ask the cashier ahead of time whether there are any days during this week where there will be a HUGE group of kids during the afternoon public session, they usually *WILL* tell me!!! SOMETIMES, even my coach will be kind enough to let me know when there's gonna be a LOT of kids and I just go straight to the gym instead! :P

Moral of story, I guess, is "pays to ask." ;)

kayskate
05-30-2003, 06:11 AM
The sitution I originally wrote about on my web site was an actual cancellation of a public session. It was not a public session for which a school group just happened to appear. The group rented the ice and the session was closed to the public. No one was notified. Coaches arrived and had to turn students away because the management did not even tell the instructors so they could cancel their appointments. I discussed this with a coach who was furious b/c the situation made her look bad. Apparently, the private party was booked the night before. The employee at the rink did not know about it until he came to work that day. Fortunately, this has not happened often this season.

Since then, notices have been posted in clear view all over the rink about changes and cancellations. Schedules are available at the front desk including the following fine print: "Schedule subject to change w/o notice". No, they are not obligated to tell anyone. But, IMO, it is poor business practice to at least not notify the coaches if a change occurs at the last minute. The coaches would call their students and the regulars would create a phone chain.

Kay

dbny
05-30-2003, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by kayskate
The sitution I originally wrote about on my web site was an actual cancellation of a public session. It was not a public session for which a school group just happened to appear. The group rented the ice and the session was closed to the public. No one was notified. Coaches arrived and had to turn students away because the management did not even tell the instructors so they could cancel their appointments. I discussed this with a coach who was furious b/c the situation made her look bad. Apparently, the private party was booked the night before. The employee at the rink did not know about it until he came to work that day. Fortunately, this has not happened often this season.

Since then, notices have been posted in clear view all over the rink about changes and cancellations. Schedules are available at the front desk including the following fine print: "Schedule subject to change w/o notice". No, they are not obligated to tell anyone. But, IMO, it is poor business practice to at least not notify the coaches if a change occurs at the last minute. The coaches would call their students and the regulars would create a phone chain.

Kay

That happened at my primary rink once also. A public session was cancelled for hockey tryouts, with no notice given to anyone. At the ISI Ice Arena Management course I took, we were taught that cancelling a public session is one of the worst business moves a rink can make, and should be avoided at just about any cost.

The last time my primary rink cancelled a public session, it was because the Zam had broken and spilled hydraulic fluid on the ice the night before. Since it was a Sunday, there was nothing they could do, although I bet if there had been a big hockey meet scheduled, they would have paid overtime to get the Zam running. As it was, one of the Russian coaches who showed up had a tantrum, wanting the rink management to let him be the judge of the ice conditions. In that case, the management made the right decision and refused to let anyone on the ice. We got a couple of free passes out of it.

tidesong
05-31-2003, 10:14 AM
well my rink is basically a public session rink and once in a while the association books the rink and that is like rare and we get ice time to ourselves. Otherwise, the rink is always crowded and closes for anything they like anytime so i have the habit of calling the rink before i go to check if anything is on. They have finally came up with a schedule thing but i don't trust it :( And the zamboni keeps breaking down and we've had to suffer unzambonied ice for a week. And i won't be surprised if it happens again.

mikawendy
06-03-2003, 12:32 PM
I've come across the same thing at the rink I skate at on Sundays--the public sessions are usually fairly empty, but when there's a birthday party of even 10 kids, all heck breaks loose, especially because sometimes the rink guard isn't even on the ice but is out in the hallway not paying attention.

Since that rink is the farthest from my house of all the ones I skate at AND I have to pay a toll for the tunnel to come/go, I usually call that rink ahead of time to find out if they have parties booked.

Another rink I skate at recently cancelled a freestyle session without posting a notice--I'm not sure of the reason, so I don't know if the rink staff had advance enough notice to post anything. But one of the skaters drove 2 hours to have her lesson and neither she nor her instructor had been told about the cancellation. That is terribly frustrating.

I like the idea of a telephone tree. If the rink staff don't announce when sessions might be cancelled, perhaps a session "regular" can volunteer to start a telephone tree. Or, perhaps this is something to bring up with the skating director if asking the rink managment to announce cancellations doesn't work...

dbny
06-03-2003, 06:07 PM
Our school's end of season show was Sunday. The time we booked was for 4:30 to 6, and students were notified and programs printed accordingly. We arrived at the rink at 3:30 to set up and found that they had booked hockey try outs and we would not have the ice until 5:15! We had over 300 people to arriving for 4:30, and had to tell them all that we were starting 45 minutes late.