View Full Version : Day of competition- what's to do?

Terri C
05-26-2003, 06:49 PM
I will be competing in North Carolina this weekend>
I have a early morning practice scheduled, then I won't compete until mid afternoon.
What I want to know from everyone is, after eating breakfast and reading the morning paper, and watching enough CNN what do you do at the hotel to kill time until it's time to get ready to compete?

MissIndigo
05-26-2003, 07:14 PM
I'd probably go back to the rink and watch some stuff, and let my body get used to the temperature again. It's hard for me to go from hot to cold and stay limber. I'm just a type that once I get to the rink, I like to stay there. :D

...or you could always go shopping at Crabtree Valley. :D

Good luck this weekend! Might you by any chance be coming back our way again later this summer? 8-)

skaternum
05-26-2003, 08:04 PM
Yeah, shopping at Crabtree Valley Mall! But don't stay on your feet too long, or you'll be pooped by the afternoon. :)

Sk8Bunny
05-26-2003, 09:15 PM
Ok, well definetly dont do much shopping or stuff that will exhaust you, leave that stuff for after you win your competition:P When I have competitions scheduled later in the day, i usually eat a light breakfast of whole-grain breads and a fruit, like a banana. Then sometimes taking a small nap will help. dont go swimming before you compete, and stay away from eatting sugary foods. I find it really relaxing to grab my discman and go for a walk outside about 2 hours before i compete. walk for as long or as short as you need to, remember its not a power/calorie-burning walk, just a relaxing, calming-the-nerves type walk. if you have a long wait until your event, you may consider going to the movie theaters or something. just remember that this is your day to **skate**, so make sure you set your priorities straight. and like another poster mentioned, check out the competition at the rink. cheer others on and hang out with people at the rink and make new friends. to waste even more time, get to the rink a bit earlier than you usually do, and do slow stretches after warming up. oh, and most competitions have clothing, picture, etc vendors at the rink, so take some time to look around at the vending tables too! GOOD LUCK at your competition!!!

Isabelle
05-27-2003, 08:10 AM
I'd say do whatever you want, just don't do anything that will tire you out, but also don't just sit around! (you might get stiff) :)

ask8ingcat
05-27-2003, 01:51 PM
If I'm travelling for a competition, then I SHOP! I sometimes get a makeover at a cosmetic counter. When I'm doing a local, I just do whatever I have planned but leave about 2.5 hours for myself to get ready and to get there. Regardless of what I do...Time goes by really fast.
cat

jazzpants
05-28-2003, 12:59 AM
Hmmm? I've never done this, but if I were in the situation where I'm traveling for a competition that I probably would take some time to check out the local cuisine there! No sense in traveling unless you eat, 'ya know... ;) Check out FoodNetwork.com or FoodTV.com and see if you can find a couple of referrals to restaurants to try. Or even better, try doing a Google search on the newsgroup "rec.food.restaurants" or post for recommendations. (If you are in the San Francisco Bay Area, I recommend "ba.food." Oh, found another one for North Carolina... "triangle.dining.")

Bon appetit :yum: ... (and good luck at your competition!) :mrgreen:

skaternum
05-28-2003, 11:45 AM
Or just ask one of us locals!!

dancing_queen
05-28-2003, 05:12 PM
i always like to be at the arena earlier than u need 2( my coach always says an hour ahead of time- but im not sure about yours) also i like to listen to music that'll get me "in the mood"!! good luck at the comptetion

Mrs Redboots
06-03-2003, 09:16 AM
You might enjoy watching the competition, if it starts earlier, so go down to the rink to enjoy it. Alternatively, if the competition doesn't start until the afternoon, is there practice ice you could sign up for?

This year, at the Mountain Cup, many of us skaters spent most of the morning in a shop selling Indian-style clothes, trying on blouses with elephant buttons, and trousers that were split down the sides. I bought two pairs, and my mother went to the same shop next day and bought herself a pair! But there were at least 3 of us trying on various things before the competition, which was a good way of taking our minds off it.