View Full Version : Cost of Private Coaches

pink_flower77
06-23-2002, 12:16 PM
I was wondering, how much your coach charges for private lessons. Im asking because I have to find one soon, and would like to know how much I should shell out. I do not need a particulary high level elite coach, rather one that can get me through my doubles. I currently can land all singles consistantly.
Thanks!

Figureskates
06-23-2002, 12:25 PM
My coach charges 25 dollars for a half hour lesson..and it is worth every penny of it.

Kelli
06-23-2002, 03:39 PM
In Massachusetts, I pay $22 for a half hour(Figureskates, don't tell anyone, I get the special college rate!), but in NY my coach was $30, and she was definitely one of the cheaper ones. Point being, coaching prices vary a lot by area. I'm sure you've heard it before, but watch how the coaches teach and how the students skate. Watch the coach for individual style (a yeller, one who doesn't pay attention, etc) and watch the skaters to make sure you like the coaches style (do all of the coach's students cheat their jumps?). Talk to people around the rink, maybe even ask for a 10 minute trial lesson, though not all will do that. Good luck!

singerskates
06-23-2002, 08:16 PM
I"m from Canada so my coach's rate is in Canadian Dollars. My coach charges $9 for a 15 minute period. That's $36 dollars an hour. She coaches everyone from Learn to skate to Junior level competitive skaters going to sectionals.

flying~camel
06-23-2002, 10:05 PM
I'm in Grand Rapids, MI, and my coach charges $10 for 15 mins.

jenlyon60
06-24-2002, 06:55 AM
I pay $35/half hour with one coach (2x per week) and $36/half hour with my other coach (every other week or so). I'm in the DC area.

serpentine
06-24-2002, 07:45 AM
Ive paid anywhere from $7.50 for 15 minutes to about $15 for 15 minutes. Rates vary on the coach's qualifications and experience, and I have been taught by all kinds and seen all kinds in action....my greatest recommendation is to not worry if you're getting ripped off by a coach who maybe charges a bit more than the 'norm' where you live, but rather worry about whether or not you can actually learn from such a teacher. It is quite possible that with a better coach you don't need to take as many lessons because their teaching skills are very effective, and nothing is worse than feeling like your coach wasted a lesson on you because nothing got across to you during the lesson.

Take Kelli's advice and watch the coaches at your club for one or two sessions--see what kinds of students they teach, what's their teaching technique like, and whether or not you would get along with their personality...look for coaches teaching students who are 'like-minded' to yourself. example: we had a new pro at our club and all the younger skaters adored her, but when I decided to try to take lessons from her, I found that she treated me like I was a 10 year old, really talking down to me and babying me and using silly words to explain what she wanted me to do--it was all too fluffly for me! I worked much better with someone with whom I had a good rapport, who treated me the way you would treat an older teenager skater, yet at the same time was thorough and firm in their teaching methods.

good luck in finding a coach that suits you! :)

garyc254
06-24-2002, 08:20 AM
Here in St. Louis, my coaches charge $ 20 per half hour.

One of the local coaches was a World Gold Medalist Pairs (read "experienced) and charges $ 30 per half hour, so you're paying for his experience.

Another, very unusual for a coach, charges by the level of the skater.

flippet
06-24-2002, 11:34 AM
A general rule of thumb is about $1 a minute for private lessons. Metro areas will often be higher, more rural areas will often be lower. The coach's experience and skill level will also play into it.

The other advice here is good...look to see what coach might be the best fit for your personality and your level. If you've got a good fit, whether you're paying a couple of dollars more or less won't matter. But at least with these responses, you've got a loose, ballpark figure for how much you may be spending.

Artistic Skaters
06-24-2002, 09:10 PM
Besides reviewing the teaching styles of various coaches, I would also strongly recommend checking the credentials of coaches. And not just their own skating credentials. Ask for information like their professional affiliations (USFSA, ISI, PSA, etc), the passing rate of their students on skating tests, how many students are high level testers & qualifying competitors (& out of those, how many they have coached through several different levels), etc. Also ask for references (not just current students but former students). Good coaches often train their skaters for several years until the skaters leave for college or embark on careers, or they might train them off & on during their skating progression in specific areas.

It's really a bad reflection on the profession & the good coaches, but there is a big disparity that exists in the quality of coaching in the U.S. & you can find "coaches" in almost any market area that are charging premium plus rates for sub-par teaching services. As a group, they need to monitor their profession more effectively. At some rinks, you don't need much more than some low level lessons & a liability insurance policy to ask for teaching privileges & market yourself a 'coach'. So let the buyer beware.

Sometimes newer skaters may be hesitant to ask questions because it feels intimidating, however, if the coach is a good one, he or she will be happy to share the information with you. It is much better to check them out beforehand to decide on a good match rather than after you have been taking lessons for awhile.

jazzpants
06-24-2002, 11:53 PM
I won't say what my coach charges, but the average range is from $70-80 in the San Francisco Bay Area. We have one top level coach who charges (two years ago) at $90/hr...by now I would guess she's about $100/hr at least (if she's reading this, she knows who she is...) I also know of one that charges about $40/hr...and she's been teaching forever!!! (But I'll stick with Jay, thank you!!!) :P

Cheers,
jazzpants

arena_gal
06-25-2002, 09:59 PM
I heard that Tarasova is USD$140/hr. Doug Leigh in Canada is CAD$80/hr, his rate is on the Mariposa web site ($20/15min).

I pay between $6 and $8,for a 15 minute lesson depending on whether it's a level 1 or level 2/3 coach. Different coaches for different things. I'm in rural Canada.

JD
07-03-2002, 12:18 PM
I totally agree with Serpentine on looking for the right coach. We went through hell and back here in Canada when we were assured by both retiring coach and new coach to be that they understood our daughter and would love to teach her---the coach turned out to be the wrong choice-- Ironically this experience got me involved in doing the hiring and pro rep duties for our club, so I've learned quite a bit about coaching, both good and bad . In my area, we have coaches that vary from $15 CAN for a private lesson per 15 minutes all the way down to 4.00 per 15 minute lesson, depending on NCCP level (coaching certification) and in some respects, their own skating ability (ie a triple gold-freeskate, skills, dance or competitive skater) versus one who has not completed these levels and/or skated competitively. Also, prices seem to go up depending on which skaters they personally train who have "made it" as it were, for example past sectionals, and so on.... We have 2 coaches, one who is 12 per 15 minute lesson, the other who is 13......but price is not necessarily reflective of ability.....

nutty-ducky
07-03-2002, 01:01 PM
hi!
i am British and my coach charges £10 per half an hour. I think it is actually quite good! :D

figurebabe
07-03-2002, 03:20 PM
here in london its about £7 for half an hour!

Not much difference but hey. in about a month you couldve saved loads! :o

By the way (a bit off topic) but every time i buty a £2 travel card for travel to the ice rink, I waste soooo much money and save the tickets to count the money I spend on them..and by NOW IVE WASTED SOOOO MUCH , probably over a hundred pounds! (only been skating 5 months)!!!! :( 8O :cry: :x :evil:

Mrs Redboots
07-04-2002, 09:20 AM
[quote:db2269b41f="figurebabe"]here in london its about £7 for half an hour![/quote:db2269b41f]

[i:db2269b41f]Where[/i:db2269b41f] in London? At Streatham the cheapest coaches charge £6.00 for 15 minutes! Are you sure you didn't mean a quarter of an hour?

[quote:db2269b41f="figurebabe"]By the way (a bit off topic) but every time i buty a £2 travel card for travel to the ice rink, I waste soooo much money and save the tickets to count the money I spend on them..and by NOW IVE WASTED SOOOO MUCH , probably over a hundred pounds! (only been skating 5 months)!!!! :( 8O :cry: :x :evil:[/quote:db2269b41f]

Then [i:db2269b41f]don't[/i:db2269b41f] buy a £2.00 travel card. Although the £2.00 bus pass is about the best value for money in London right now, and it's only £1.00 if you are under age. But if you are just going there and back on the bus, buy a book of "Saver" tickets - again, they do junior ones if you are still under whatever the cut-off age is these days (16?) - and use those, which are cheaper than the bus, especially into Central London.

I found, going to Slough, it wasn't cost-efficient to buy a Travelcard; I just walked to the Tube and then paid £1.90 to get to Paddington. I only wanted a one-way ticket, because my husband brought me home in the car. But going to Slough, and then getting a taxi from Slough Station to the rink, and [i:db2269b41f]then[/i:db2269b41f] I had to pay my own rink entry because the old man was already in there..... it made for an expensive evening! I'm glad that particular competition is over, although we'll probably go to Slough's Dance Club when ours is closed for the summer holidays.

It's an expensive sport, but I can tell you, it's cheaper than my niece's - she's a member of the British Dressage team. Now [i:db2269b41f]that[/i:db2269b41f] is an expensive sport!

figurebabe
07-04-2002, 10:26 AM
Well, Ive got absolutely NO other choice really, because This is from Wembley To Alexandra Palace!
And theres no other cheaper way to get there.

At queensway, they do £7 1/2 hr, well thats what my friend told me because hes part of a club there as well. Maybe it was £8, but no higher. But a full half an hour at queens is required apparently no less should be given...
These requirement could also be affected of course depending on the membership situatuion, I mean maybe you even get membership privileges for having like, 1/2hr instead of 15 mins...

Dunno, but all the same ive always thought half an hour is only worth a fiver personally!
But then again thats because I dont have that much money to spare, im 14! DONT HAVE A JOB AAGHH it really annoys me to grub out the money each week however I can..whether its to save lunch money! :evil: grhrhh,

CANT WAIT TO GET A JOOOB! (ps, theres absolutely no vacancies even for paper round which ive considered as a last resort)...

:(

Mrs Redboots
07-05-2002, 11:25 AM
[quote:43c6095fb9="figurebabe"]Well, Ive got absolutely NO other choice really, because This is from Wembley To Alexandra Palace!
And theres no other cheaper way to get there.[/quote:43c6095fb9]
No, I do see that! Unless, of course, you can persuade a kind parent to give you a lift.....

[quote:43c6095fb9="figurebabe"]At queensway, they do £7 1/2 hr, well thats what my friend told me because hes part of a club there as well. Maybe it was £8, but no higher. But a full half an hour at queens is required apparently no less should be given...
These requirement could also be affected of course depending on the membership situatuion, I mean maybe you even get membership privileges for having like, 1/2hr instead of 15 mins...[/quote:43c6095fb9]

I think you'll find that that sort of price is for group lessons - nothing wrong with them, of course, in fact, if they are well taught then there's nothing better to start you off! I take a group lesson at Alexandra Palace once a month or so (couldn't make it this month, :( ), but the ones at my rink are only for beginners. Once you get above a certain lessons, you really need private lessons.

[quote:43c6095fb9="figurebabe"] Dunno, but all the same ive always thought half an hour is only worth a fiver personally![/quote:43c6095fb9]

Not when you're trying to earn a good living from it, it isn't! If you look at it from the teachers' point of view, and they have to pay rent for the rink for every student they teach, and that is only offset by the group lessons and school groups.... Many ice skating coaches have to have a day job as well, and really only teach for the love of the sport.

[quote:43c6095fb9="figurebabe"] But then again thats because I dont have that much money to spare, im 14! DONT HAVE A JOB AAGHH it really annoys me to grub out the money each week however I can..whether its to save lunch money! :evil: grhrhh,

CANT WAIT TO GET A JOOOB! (ps, theres absolutely no vacancies even for paper round which ive considered as a last resort)...

:([/quote:43c6095fb9] It will get easier to get a job every year now. Have you been into every single local shop and asked to be considered as a Saturday girl? The little shops are usually "suited", but people move on to college, and vacancies often arise; if you leave your name and address with them, they might contact you when they have one. The supermarkets and chain stores won't take you until you're sixteen, but once you are, you will be able to get a few hours a week very easily.

twokidsskatemom
01-31-2004, 11:22 PM
we pay 60 an hour for my dd coach, she is helping with her routine for a comp and then helping her progress faster. We do 15 min or 20 min lessons, that is about as long as her attention span.She also is editing her music and helping us find costumes for she and her bro to wear for a family spotlight.
I got on the ice for the first time last week, and she gave me my dd lesson. She said she wanted me to have fun so she gave me some pointers.I liked it , I liked it !!!!
I will be 42 soon ;)

luna_skater
02-01-2004, 12:33 AM
From reading some peoples' experiences with bad coaches (in general, not just in this thread), I feel I got very lucky when I found my coach! He was recommended to me by a friend, and I didn't know anything about him when I called him to see if he could fit me in for some dance lessons. I feel like I really hit the jackpot, because his coaching style is perfect for me. He's the first private coach I've ever had, so I guess I wouldn't really know the difference. :D But I feel there has been a huge improvement in my skating since I started private lessons, and I always look forward to learning more. I also pay attention to his other students on the ice, and all of them are very technically proficient and clean, and seem very disciplined as well. I pay $12 for a fifteen minute lesson (CDN). I believe he is NCCP II, or maybe partial NCCP III.

NetExpress
02-01-2004, 01:08 AM
I pay $37 for half an hour lesson here in south San Fransisco Bay area. When I saw my daughter landing her first loop at only the 3rd try with her coach, I knew my every penny was well spent.

NickiT
02-01-2004, 08:47 AM
The coaches at my rink charge £7.00 per 15 minutes. I have two half-hour lessons per week so it's £14.00 per lesson for me!

Nicki

erdehoff
02-01-2004, 11:46 AM
I pay $37.50 per half-hour for my coach in the DC area. He's worth every penny. He trains some really high-level kids (the one guy, currently at the junior level, was landing triple axel-triple toe all over the place last week) but also works with a LOT of adults at all levels, and he understands the adult skater mindset and works well with it. And there are times when he'll have me do an element (a backspin, say) and then point out something I would never have thought of, and I'll try it again and it'll be ten times better. For that kind of help, I'll pay whatever he wants!

Bottom line: when looking for a coach, as when buying skates, price probably shouldn't be your foremost consideration. There are "bad" coaches who charge a lot, "good" coaches who charge very little, and coaches who work wonders with one type of skater but won't be a good fit for you. Ask the skaters at your rink, watch the coaches in action, ask for a trial lesson, and go with your gut.

Justine_R
02-01-2004, 12:30 PM
My coach charges $46 canadian dollars she is worth every penny!

mousey
02-01-2004, 02:19 PM
$11 CAD for 15 mins.

skateflo
02-01-2004, 05:02 PM
I pay $50 for a 50 minute lesson. But as others have said, the fee isn't everything, and their other advice is well founded. Not all coaches like teaching adults, some do it because they look at it as easy money and don't push the adult to excel. Others have come to really enjoy adults. One other issue is that at the lower levels (doubles and below) there are many excellant coaches who have chosen not to coach higher levels (time, cost, travel, family responsibilities, etc.) Also there are some coaches of experience who have chosen not to get a PSA rating as there still exists bad feelings about some coaches who got rated based on other than their skating/teaching abilities. Since that time, their own years of experience and learning has continued to grow, they have found their personal nitch and do not see a need to get a rating at this time in their career.

Remember when you think about the cost of a coach, factor in how many hours (cost to you) of practice that you will be putting in between lessons. A good coach and lesson should suffice for every 3 other days of practice. It amazes me how many skaters can't seem to practice on their own.......

skaternum
02-01-2004, 05:58 PM
One of my coaches is $60 an hour. The other is $72 an hour.

manleywoman
02-01-2004, 07:41 PM
My coach is on the pricy end...$115/hour...but two things keep it cheap for me in the long run:

a) I moved to Chicago from DC last year. The ice in DC was $11 for 45 minutes, and here it's $6-$10 for an hour depending on the rink. So I save on ice time. ANd I warm up thouroughly off-ice before putting my skates on so I really maximize the whole hour and don't waste 20 minutes warming up and stroking.

b) she coaches me only 20 minutes twice a week, and gives me so much to work on and think about that I feel like I get a ton for my 20 minutes. And I take notes when the lesson's over!

Bottom line for me is I'm seeing good results, so I think it's money well-spent. And when she's out of town, her assistant, who is cheaper and knows all the same stuff, steps in and coaches me.

dorvalskater1
02-01-2004, 09:28 PM
9$ (Canadian) for 15 minutes...it's cheaper to skate in Canada!

Mrs Redboots
02-02-2004, 04:17 AM
Coaches here have stayed the same for another year (I asked my coach if he was putting his prices up, and he said, "We'll all do it together, or not at all!"): for the Level 3 and under coaches it is £6.50 per 15 minutes, and for the elite coach it is £7.50 per 15 minutes. That's, respectively, US$11.84 and US$13.66 per 15 minutes.

We also pay our coaches for teaching ice time; they then pay rent to the rink. We pay either £4.00 or £4.50 (US$7.28 or $8.20) per session or, for 3 or more sessions per week, it's £10.00 (US$18.21) per week. The downside of that particular bargain, though, is that you have to pay it 52 weeks/year, even if you are going to be away. And it doesn't include club ice, or public ice. But it works out as good value, I think.

Andie
02-02-2004, 10:23 PM
My coach (whom I just started lessons with a few weeks ago) charges $18/ half hour. Don't be fooled by the reasonable cost - he's the best instructor I've had, in terms of both skill and personality. I think he deserves a little more money, but hey I'm not gonna complain. ;)

My previous "coach" charged $22/ half hr and wasn't nearly as experienced or helpful. GRRRR!!! :(

AshBugg44
02-02-2004, 11:17 PM
My coach is $60/hour....in other words, $1/minute ;-)

Aurora
02-08-2004, 11:26 AM
In Edmonton - it depends on the level of the coach.
A top level coach $76/78 per hour (Level 4)
Level 3 - $60/62 per hour