View Full Version : Injury Question

RNsk8r
05-20-2003, 03:35 PM
Hi, I am a frequent lurker, coming out to post for the first time. I had an injury question that I wondered if anyone else had come across. I have been diagnosed with a posterior tibial tendon tear in my left foot(non-landing foot). It was just diagnosed a week ago, but I've been having problems with it for about 6 months. It has only started bothering me while skating for about 3 days.

This is my question. My orthopedist said treatment options were a cast for 4 weeks, or surgery to repair the tendon, but I am seeing a podiatrist that he recommended who has more experience with these injuries. Does anyone have any experience dealing with these injuries, particularly how surgery would affect my future skating? I am an adult skater, but only 22yrs old, so I have a lot of skating left in me! I don't want this to limit my skating, but it has to be treated too. There is very limited information that I have found, and none at all relating to youngish athletes. Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks

Elsy2
05-20-2003, 06:44 PM
Well that sounds pretty nasty.....I'm sorry I don't have any specific info for you, I just will give my opinion that if they offer a conservative treatment like the cast I would try that prior to going straight to surgery.
The only related injury my trusty ortho book describes is a posterior tibial tendon dislocation. The treatment noted is the cast first, then surgery if the casting doesn't work.

On the bright side, I have some friends with some horrific stories about ripped tendons, unstable ankles, etc. who have undergone tendon surgeries and returned to their respective sports.

Let us know what your podiatrist says, and feel free to post more often!

Chico
05-21-2003, 11:48 PM
I tore the tendons on the inside and outside of my ankle and broke the tibula to boot. Dirt biking not skating. This is my landing foot by the way. I've been skating 4 years now and except for the first few months pain hasn't been too bad. I haven't noticed any physical limitations except that it takes about five minutes of warming up to make it flexible. Note that I didn't say I didn't have any pain. You get really used to discomfort. This is a block in the road, but you can get around it. Stay positive.

Chico

backspin
05-22-2003, 10:59 AM
I'd say listen to your doctors, but if they give you options, my vote would always go for the less invasive method first and give it a chance. If it doesn't work you can still have the surgery. If it does work, you're all set! You're going to be off the ice anyway--why not go for the cast & see how it goes?