View Full Version : Luverly/Ludicrous Lessons+Practices 23-29th June

icenut84
06-23-2002, 06:21 AM
This is for yesterday:

[b:e29e89a0cd]Luverly:[/b:e29e89a0cd] Quite a lot!

*We were going over double 3 turns in my group class, and were doing LFO-LBI ones first, and when I did mine I got a loud exclamation of "Beautiful!" from one of the coaches!! :mrgreen: Also she said my crossover pattern was good :D
*Worked on Swing Dance and Fiesta Tango in my dance lesson. After getting detailed and technical again, we did the Fiesta Tango to the music for the first time and it was so much better. :D Kept up with the music easily too. Yay!! Swing Dance better too.
*Freestyle lesson: waltz jump "Lovely!" (coach). Salchow good too. Worked on loop again (haven't worked on that since I first started on it a few weeks ago). Was actually better! I got as far as getting round and landing on the wrong foot. Does that mean it was an unintentional half loop? ;) Getting there slowly anyway.
*Spins were ok.
*Learnt BI pivot (not in lesson, taught by one of the skaters). Haven't learnt them before though I wanted to.
*Spirals - good balance and nice and smooth out. :)
*First time skating with an extra insole in my left skate (thanks for the tips everyone!). Was fine! Yay! No more faffing about with different socks!
*When I came off at the end of the session I had a nice feeling of contentment and happiness :mrgreen: What would I do without skating, eh?

[b:e29e89a0cd]Ludicrous:[/b:e29e89a0cd]

*Toe loop on holiday! Well, was sort of there but pretty pants. Hmm.
*A couple of little kids in hire skates that always seem to be there are obsessed with my coach and keep trying to talk to him and getting in his way and messing about when he's giving a lesson. Grr! Annoying after a while when I was trying to concentrate and they were always there! He told them to go away or he would have them thrown off the session and they would have to go home, lol, and then they did leave him alone.
*The loop is darn hard! lol. It'll take me a while to understand how it is possible to land on the same foot you take off on, lol

Rachel

Mrs Redboots
06-23-2002, 07:24 AM
[b:02354cc85a]Ghastly:[/b:02354cc85a] "It's not the steps," said our coach, grinning, "it's the way you do them!" He pointed out that our rear extension was most definitely lacking, and required us to do exercise after exercise, dance after dance, focussing on our extension and nothing else. To be fair, it really did help, and we were skating far faster, and on deeper edges, than before.

Mind you, there were too many people around to be able to do our dances straight through without swerving and shrieking, but we managed, somehow.

Oh, and today R's breath was fine, but our coach's left much to be desired..... you can't win, can you?

[b:02354cc85a]Glorious:[/b:02354cc85a] Once we had got our extension going, we were flying! And after we had run through our dances for Friday (competition day) and several exercises in Kilian hold, we were made to do chasses in waltz hold. "It's [i:02354cc85a]much[/i:02354cc85a] better!" said our coach. "But it's not yet perfect - never think it's perfect. Even Torvill & Dean didn't think they were perfect!"

I pointed out that we didn't look to Torvill & Dean for our role models (we do [i:02354cc85a]have[/i:02354cc85a] role models, of course, but rather nearer our level!).

Sorry to change the thread title, but I'd done it like that on the other board..... Same difference, anyway.

TashaKat
06-23-2002, 09:15 AM
[quote:6124b73f64="icenut84"]The loop is darn hard! lol. It'll take me a while to understand how it is possible to land on the same foot you take off on, lol

Rachel[/quote:6124b73f64]

Rachel, the loop IS hard until you get the feeling of it! I spent forever cracking the damn thing and when I did get it I was like "erm, what was the problem". It sounds as though you're not getting your weight over your right side (I'm presuming here that you're CCW). If you're doing them from back crosses at the mo why not try a few from a RFI3? This is how I (eventually) got it. Do a RFI3 but keep the free leg in front and as soon as you've done the turn jump up, this way will a) give you an extra bit of rotation and b) may you more likely to have your weight in the right place. One thing that you SHOULDN'T do is try and jump around! I know that this sounds strange as you're trying to rotate but you will probably end up using your shoulders to get you around which will break your body line and throw your weight out .... the shoulders will be ahead of your hips. If anything you should think of ROLLING your right side INTO your left side, this will keep your body in a straight line.

Good luck, it sounds as though you're doing well :)

[img:6124b73f64]http://pictures.friendsreunited.co.uk/pictures/14720015.jpg[/img:6124b73f64]

L x

melanieuk
06-23-2002, 01:06 PM
I'd like blood red boots like those!!

TashaKat
06-23-2002, 03:01 PM
[quote:08a3c7b40a="melanieuk"]I'd like blood red boots like those!![/quote:08a3c7b40a]

Will these do? ;) Mmmmm, I LIKE that colour ........

[img:08a3c7b40a]http://pictures.friendsreunited.co.uk/pictures/14739553.jpg[/img:08a3c7b40a]

L x

Anita18
06-23-2002, 03:30 PM
[b:95553c017e]Luverly[/b:95553c017e]:

[list:95553c017e]
[*:95553c017e]Newly sharpened skates! Well, I think part of that goes under "Ludicrous" cause I couldn't do much at all; I hadn't sharpened my skates in a [i:95553c017e]really [/i:95553c017e]long time so the first time I stepped onto the ice I couldn't move (or stop!). :oops: Well, I can do back cross-strokes now when I couldn't do them before! :lol:
[*:95553c017e]BO3's and BI3's are getting better. I still can't really check them, but I can rotate them for the most part. At least something's improving.... :lol:
[*:95553c017e]Attended my first power class yesterday (it was a makeup for my regular FS class), and wow, that was quite the experience... I can't do back powerpulls, but for a first attempt, I don't think they were too bad, LOL! Maybe I'll work on those some more to get the feeling of my edges...
[*:95553c017e]The flip's feeling more flighty, so I think I'm getting the entrance right! (Finally!)[/list:u:95553c017e]

[b:95553c017e]Ludicrous[/b:95553c017e]:
[list:95553c017e]
[*:95553c017e]I really can't spin! Ack! :oops: The entrance feels really strange cause the edges are so much sharper...I think this needs more getting used to though...
[*:95553c017e]Don't think I'm getting the toe loop right. If I pick straight back, I get the rotation, but then I've heard you have to sweep the BO edge around -it's that part I'm not getting.... :x
[*:95553c017e]Still can't check FO3's. Oh well, what's new.... :x
[*:95553c017e]Salchow. Again, what's new... :x
[*:95553c017e]CCW back crossovers. I do these all the time, and they still don't feel right. Strangely, I don't usually practice CW crossovers, but they feel a lot better. :? One day, they'll click...
[*:95553c017e]I keep leaning on the flip and loop! I have serious verticality issues....(on top of the checking issues..) I think it just needs more practice. (And about 20 more falls...) :x
[*:95553c017e]People in class levels they shouldn't be in! :x :x :x (Warning, this is going to be a bit of a rant..)

After the power class, I took another makeup class (hehe I was being a pain in the butt yesterday..). I estimated that I was in FS4, since I was working on flips and sitspins, but after looking around the rink, I easily could have fitted in FS5. (None of those kids could do a backspin on the right edge...hey, I can't do a backspin either, but at least I try to be on the right edge! The axel was definitely out of the question...)

The kids in FS4 couldn't do FS3 stuff, and they didn't look comfortable with their edges [i:95553c017e]at all[/i:95553c017e]. Doesn't anyone care about their edges anymore?! Sigh...My only consolation is that I was the only one in that class who could rotate the flip all the way and actually do a [i:95553c017e]sit[/i:95553c017e]spin. (Landing the flip was another issue, but at least I was rotating...)

I hate it that people only care about the jumps! It's always "What jump are you on?" Nobody really cares about the edges anymore! I always practice edges, and I know I still need [i:95553c017e]a lot [/i:95553c017e]of work on controlling them, but at least I practice them. There's a skater at my rink who works almost wholly on figures, spins, edges, and footwork, and I cannot tell you how my I admire her for it. (She'll practice edges on crowded public sessions, waiting until everyone clears the end before skating. I don't think I have that kind of patience, LOL...if it's crowded, I'm either jumping or spinning...maybe that's why my edges need so much work, LOL..) She jumps too, but her jumps are so big (due to her superior edging) she can't control them on the landing. Sigh, I really have got to practice my footwork and edges too, and to try to fix my checking issues... :oops:

Okay, rant over...[/list:u:95553c017e]
Rachel, the loop can be scary when you start to work on it, but after you try it a couple times, it really isn't that bad! I had a habit of landing it on the wrong foot too, but you can do the half-loop a little bit to get the feel of the entrance and the rotation. Once you feel comfortable with the entrance, try to be over your right side the entire time. Just [b:95553c017e]go for it [/b:95553c017e]and see what happens! (Falling is part of the learning curve...I barely feel it when I fall now. LOL if my dad saw some of the falls I take, he'd haul me off the ice pronto! :lol: He's such a wimp..) Good luck!

BTW, I'm so jealous that you can do double 3's! I can't check the first one to do another one properly! (As I said, I have serious checking issues...)

Anita

icenut84
06-23-2002, 04:36 PM
[quote:7c58126526="TashaKat"]Rachel, the loop IS hard until you get the feeling of it! I spent forever cracking the damn thing and when I did get it I was like "erm, what was the problem". It sounds as though you're not getting your weight over your right side (I'm presuming here that you're CCW). If you're doing them from back crosses at the mo why not try a few from a RFI3? This is how I (eventually) got it. Do a RFI3 but keep the free leg in front and as soon as you've done the turn jump up, this way will a) give you an extra bit of rotation and b) may you more likely to have your weight in the right place. One thing that you SHOULDN'T do is try and jump around! I know that this sounds strange as you're trying to rotate but you will probably end up using your shoulders to get you around which will break your body line and throw your weight out .... the shoulders will be ahead of your hips. If anything you should think of ROLLING your right side INTO your left side, this will keep your body in a straight line.

Good luck, it sounds as though you're doing well :)

[img:7c58126526]http://pictures.friendsreunited.co.uk/pictures/14720015.jpg[/img:7c58126526]

L x[/quote:7c58126526]

Thanks for the tips Lynne. :) Mich appreciated. Of course, I won't be able to try any of it on the ice till next Saturday :( but it's given me something to think about as I'm planning to practice it off ice a lot this week to try to get the feeling of it. You're right about it being impossible till you get the feeling of it - at first, I didn't even dare try to leave the ice, never mind rotate, but then after a few goes I felt ok trying it even though I couldn't land on the right foot, lol. I'll try it from a FI3 aswell (I'm CW, not CCW). It was hard to get the feeling of the turn on the toe aswell, but I guess that will come too as it was the same on the salchow at first. :)
BTW - are those purple boots yours? Nice! Mine are boring white!

[quote:7c58126526="Anita18"]Rachel, the loop can be scary when you start to work on it, but after you try it a couple times, it really isn't that bad! I had a habit of landing it on the wrong foot too, but you can do the half-loop a little bit to get the feel of the entrance and the rotation. Once you feel comfortable with the entrance, try to be over your right side the entire time. Just go for it and see what happens! (Falling is part of the learning curve...I barely feel it when I fall now. LOL if my dad saw some of the falls I take, he'd haul me off the ice pronto! He's such a wimp..) Good luck!

BTW, I'm so jealous that you can do double 3's! I can't check the first one to do another one properly! (As I said, I have serious checking issues...)
[/quote:7c58126526]

Thanks Anita. I know I need to just go for it, lol. It's scary! I'm not used to falling, I hardly ever fall, I always manage to catch myself if I catch my toe or I lose my balance etc. I know that will probably change with the more and more advanced jumps though, lol! But so far I've only ever had one fall on a jump (a waltz jump, last year). 8)
I'll try to concentrate on having my weight over my left (I'm CW) side too.
About the double 3s - I've spent a lot of time practicing them! Every practice I make sure I practice all of them (both feet FO-BI and FI-BO), including on their own. Make sure you lift the back of your blade on forward ones and the front of your blade on backward ones. You should concentrate on rotating your upper body, and after the turn, check with the arms/shoulders. Keep your free foot next to your skating leg, if it's wild and all over the place it will throw you off, before you have control of them. (And don't give up! The RBI3 took me absolutely ages to get even though I could do all the others, but I cracked it eventually, lol)

Thanks again for the tips everyone, much appreciated. :D
Rachel

Anita18
06-23-2002, 08:10 PM
[quote:7750a16f43="icenut84"]BTW - are those purple boots yours? Nice! Mine are boring white![/quote:7750a16f43]

Hey! I like white boots! LOL! Colors [i:7750a16f43]can [/i:7750a16f43]be interesting though, you're right...

[quote:7750a16f43="icenut84"]Thanks Anita. I know I need to just go for it, lol. It's scary! I'm not used to falling, I hardly ever fall, I always manage to catch myself if I catch my toe or I lose my balance etc. I know that will probably change with the more and more advanced jumps though, lol! But so far I've only ever had one fall on a jump (a waltz jump, last year). 8) [/quote:7750a16f43]

LOL, you definitely need to fall more often! j/k - I didn't fall much on the toe loop or the salchow, but once you get to the loop, they do start to add up. It was funny cause before I got to the loop, I'd fall more on spins than jumps, and then once I got to the loop, I fall more on jumps than spins. I suppose that's more normal.... :wink: I fall all the time now, but it doesn't bother me. (Well, other than the fact that I look like a dork, but...) Falls from jumps aren't that bad. I'd rank falls from spins or stroking (depending on how I fall) as the most painless, falls from jumps next, and then falls from footwork/standstill as the most painful. (Maybe that's why I don't usually practice footwork, LOL...) Sometimes when I'm going fast and trip over something, it can be scary. Once I skated over Cheez Doodle crumbs and didn't realize it until I flew up in the air and landed on my left knee! :oops: That was really scary, since I didn't see it coming at all...

[quote:7750a16f43="icenut84"]About the double 3s - I've spent a lot of time practicing them! Every practice I make sure I practice all of them (both feet FO-BI and FI-BO), including on their own. Make sure you lift the back of your blade on forward ones and the front of your blade on backward ones. You should concentrate on rotating your upper body, and after the turn, check with the arms/shoulders. Keep your free foot next to your skating leg, if it's wild and all over the place it will throw you off, before you have control of them. (And don't give up! The RBI3 took me absolutely ages to get even though I could do all the others, but I cracked it eventually, lol)[/quote:7750a16f43]

Okie, I'll have to practice them more often! Thanks!

Anita

melanieuk
06-24-2002, 09:52 AM
Yes those red boots will do me!

[b:6d178ba30a]Ludicrous and Luverly[/b:6d178ba30a]
I had a good skate this morning. Not so much what I did and how I did it, but the feeling of having achieved some decent skating, since my skating has been all over the place lately. :o

TashaKat
06-24-2002, 01:07 PM
[quote:681543a861="icenut84"] BTW - are those purple boots yours? Nice! Mine are boring white! Rachel[/quote:681543a861]

LOL, yes, they're my new Free boots! I have also just mixed dye with my white pigment to dye my 'old' (soon to be Dance) boots lilac! I like white boots ..... and beige ....... but I like to be different! This is SERIOUSLY sad but I've also bought a PURPLE hair extension thing to go with my purple boots ;) .... just for a laugh of course :) You'd think that I would know better at my age :roll:

L x

icenut84
06-25-2002, 06:26 AM
[quote:d9dde114d6="TashaKat"]LOL, yes, they're my new Free boots! I have also just mixed dye with my white pigment to dye my 'old' (soon to be Dance) boots lilac! I like white boots ..... and beige ....... but I like to be different! This is SERIOUSLY sad but I've also bought a PURPLE hair extension thing to go with my purple boots ;) .... just for a laugh of course :) You'd think that I would know better at my age :roll:

L x[/quote:d9dde114d6]

LOL, you're never too old for a purple hair extension :mrgreen: How do you 'mix dye with white pigment' to dye your boots? Do you mean your white boot polish, and you mixed it with some sort of colour dye? Wow!! I really want some interesting things for my boots, lol. I've never even had a pair of boot covers! I don't really like them that much but it's different when they're a nice colour :D I don't like otb tights either, but I wear trousers to skate in anyway, so I just have the look of normal boots. Boring! ;)

Yazmeen
06-25-2002, 09:04 AM
Ludicrous: Trying to get to the rink this AM!!! Storm and power failure last night, but did get power back and got up on time. VERY bad hair day, had to wet and blow dry, then go to feed kitties, and after the rain, you get the ants--in the cat food dishes... Left about 15 minutes later than usual (luckily still well before lesson).

Luverly: My Lesson!!! Two foot spin is much improved with more speed and better "getting the feet pointed in and together." And made progress on one foot spin!!! I'm starting to get the feel of bringing the free leg and arm around together and managed to actually spin on one foot for a rev or two!!! Whoo hoo!!!! Then I learned the difficulty of transferring from spinning to jumping--I kept doing a three turn before jumping the waltz jump. :lol: Solved that psychological problem by going off a line and doing the waltz the way a buddy suggested--over the red line on one of the circles. Seriously--I've trained myself that I can't touch the red curve--I must be in the air over it. Waltz jump immediately went back to normal and was prounounced "very good" by coach. Worked a little on half flip to get the "2nd pick" more forward, and then I asked her to teach me a ballet jump. I even tried it out of LB crossovers, and its definitely promising!!! Freestyle 1 skills were pronounced solid for competition this year. Paula believes that at the ISI Freestyle 1 and up levels, the skills must be solid before competing. Now I'm busy with the one foot spin and ballet jump from Freestyle 2--next week its on to the Half Lutz (Freestyle 2) and more work on the salchow (Freestyle 3).

Wow--I really am beginning to feel like a REAL skater now, I'm making some progress with the "hard stuff." Its a great feeling!!! 8) 8)

Lynne: Luv, love, LOOOVVVVE the purple boots. And I agree, no-one is ever too old for a purple hair extension (now a baby pink one, maybe...)

Grin,

Beth

TashaKat
06-25-2002, 10:59 AM
[quote:292c067859="icenut84"] LOL, you're never too old for a purple hair extension :mrgreen: How do you 'mix dye with white pigment' to dye your boots? Do you mean your white boot polish, and you mixed it with some sort of colour dye? Wow!! I really want some interesting things for my boots, lol. I've never even had a pair of boot covers! I don't really like them that much but it's different when they're a nice colour :D I don't like otb tights either, but I wear trousers to skate in anyway, so I just have the look of normal boots. Boring! ;)[/quote:292c067859]

Well, you DON'T (I used cold water dye and my white boot pigment)! It works whilst you're upright and dry BUT when the ice is covered in water (because they were spraying it as we skated) you get drips and in addition to this it comes off when you do a drag in your programme :( Think Red Devils and coloured smoke streaming out behind ........ well now think Lynne with lilac ice streaming out behind when she does a drag (lunge)! I've written to Harlick to ask if they can mix me some up and send it on with my purple pigment. If the worst comes to the worst I'll get some more white pigment, mix it with my purple and VOILA! Everyone liked the colour, though, a kind of blueberry :)

There was a patch of concrete showing through the ice which was 'nice'! They decided that the best thing to do would be to stand at the side and spray water on it which worked really well as there's a slope from the concrete bit to the side (the pipes had been pushed up by ice freezing underneath and pushing them and the concrete upwards!).

My dance lesson was ok, the European has regressed but the 22 step was better ...... apart from the 'end' bit which is where I get stiff knees cos I'm not that comfortable with it (the LFO run, LFO-RFO open mohawk bit). My 3 turns were a bit off for some reason ..... I've started to flatten them which I guess is in response to my old habit of screwing them around too far .... duh!

Free lesson also ok, camel and backspin were fine, need to work on the exit of the backspin, I haven't quite (LOL) got it co-ordinated yet ..... First run through of programme actually went quite well, I was a bit wobbly by the time I got to the flip but landed it AND managed the backspin BUT the 2nd time when Madame was videoing it I lost the plot ...... the camel just went right off and it got worse from there! She commented afterwards that I'd got annoyed with the camel and let that 'p' me off for the rest of the programme. She also wants me to 'push' more ..... which means that I'll be going faster ..... which is scary She also said that I've got that common problem of my basics going to hell when I start to do a programme ...... she qualified this with a VERY (for her) nice comment that my basics are FINE usually so there was no reason for them to be pooh in my programme!

Managed to get a fairly ok camel out before I finished .... I just wish that I could get this piggin thing more consistent!

L x

Mrs Redboots
06-25-2002, 11:24 AM
Lynne, what about Lady Esquire shoe dye? You can get it in all sorts of shades, and it would be more permanent. (I do wish I'd been up your rink - I'd have loved to have seen what the ice looked like!).

[b:acaf5ac6f7]Ludicrous[/b:acaf5ac6f7]: Robert's "other" partner, the one with whom he is doing the Willow Waltz, was held up in traffic last night, so I kindly volunteered to partner him the first time of asking (during dance club). I don't know whether it's him or me, but I cannot get that back edge after the first chasse, when he is stepping into the first edge of his Mohawk. I think it may be him, as I can do it solo.

They had a lesson from one of the other coaches (ours doesn't do evenings, so had given permission), and I think Robert learnt some things about partnering that he hadn't realised - I can't wait to see if it makes any difference when we do our Swing Dance..... Stuff like he is supposed to guide the lady ("I just tried not to get in her way" - oh tell me about it!!!).

Also, I think, coming under the "ludicrous" heading was that when we did our various competition dances together, we really focussed on extension, and, naturally, covered far more ice than ever before. "I think it must make a difference," said himself. Well, I could have told him that, only since my extension is dreadful unless I concentrate on it, I thought I'd better not!

[b:acaf5ac6f7]Luverly:[/b:acaf5ac6f7] I decided to pay for 15 minutes' professional partnering, which was great fun. None of the dances were difficult (we sat out for the Killian and the Paso Doble and did the Swing Dance instead of the Rocker Foxtrot), and it was lovely doing them with a partner who knows what he is doing.

garyc254
06-25-2002, 12:09 PM
My Monday night lesson was luverly. Not because of how well I did, but because of the circumstance.

Normally, my private lesson consists of a mix of dance and free style moves. I'm not concentrating on any specific discipline yet. My coach does both extremely well. She's another one of those that gave up free style and started dance when the jumps started hurting too much. :lol:

I first started skating 10 months ago because I was tired of standing around rinkside while my girlfriend (on a Synchro Team) skated. Since that time, she and I have only skated together during a power stroking class (not exactly skating together, huh). :cry:

Last night, my girlfriend was free to come to the Monday night session. :o My coach immediately asked if we had ever skated together (a very insightful coach). We spent the next 45 minutes doing Killian and Reverse Killian hold manuevers up and down the ice, trying to get the feel for dance (which neither of us have done much of before) and each other.

The best, most fun lesson I've ever had!!!!

When you've had a session like that, nothing is ludicrous no matter how well you skated. :D

jenlyon60
06-25-2002, 12:51 PM
Beginning of Summer ice... Tuesday morning..

[b:9cb3107d61]Loverly:[/b:9cb3107d61] I had the ice to myself (no coach even) for the first 10 minutes. Did some stroking then did some of the old first test figures (sans scribe of course). Realized that I have severe problems controlling my LBO edge...I made it halfway around the circle then sort of wandered off into never-never land. Did some 3's to center (which I find easier than the Alternating 3's MIF) and noticed that my right check is better than my left check, although the turn is a bit smoother on the left side.

Lesson... Alternating Back Crossovers to BO edges. Lots of repetitions so I got a good cardio workout today. This after the obligatory stroking and forward progressives in a big circle both directions. I had good flow throughout and no case of the scratchies (easy to stay off toe picks when there's only a couple other folk on the ice) but I had messy feet on the transitions.

Also a neat footwork exercise with FO3s, FOmohawks and BO3s and a funky hop thingy. Looks really nice at speed when coach does it. Will force me to work on quickness and drill my BO3s doing something rather than just doing FI3-BO3s on the line or down the rink.

[b:9cb3107d61] Ludicrous: [/b:9cb3107d61]
Then coach had me do some solo 14Step and my solo intro-3 angst kicked into high gear. And the pattern was super tentative. So I restarted, aborted the restart, did a partial restart and did that dang 3-turn into the dance and it was a bit better, but the mohawk was messy. So I have LOTS to work on before Peach Classic.

I'm going to drill myself on the intro-3 at tempo next time I practice... put the music on and start out doing just progressive-LFO3 to the 14Step music, then when that's comfortable, add in an extra stroke, etc. Also drill the solo end pattern to the music.

That's about it...

garyc254
06-25-2002, 12:54 PM
Almost forgot to mention, I saw Champion on Ice Sunday and was very jealous of the deep edges the professionals can get. I decided that I was afraid of edges (falling) and would never amount to anything in skating until I got over that fear. If Phillipe Candeloro can do them, why not me. :lol:

After my wonderful lesson, I took off down the ice at a speed I'd not tried yet, did crossovers around the first end, tried a few mohawks and 3's at the other end, and basically forced myself to trust my edges. (Am I nuts!!! I'm too old for this!!! :lol: )

It might not have been the prettiest I'd ever done these moves, but it was the fastest and deepest edges I've ever achieved. :D

Mrs Redboots
06-26-2002, 08:42 AM
[b:8015c602ac]Ludicrous:[/b:8015c602ac] The day before competition, so what do I go and do? Yes, that's right, leave my tape at home! :roll: [i:8015c602ac]Luckily[/i:8015c602ac] it was my artistic tape, and if I can't do that programme by now, there's no hope for me! I've done it often enough, and competed it three times already, so..... All the same, I should have liked a last run-through, but I did go through it without the music and think I know what to do in the one place where I rather grind to a halt - it's in the "extension", which I only need for the 2-minute version.

[b:8015c602ac]Loverly:[/b:8015c602ac] Most of it! Robert and I had a good practice, although we'd have liked another run through the swing dance. I don't know what the other coach said to him on Monday night, but it's [i:8015c602ac]transformed[/i:8015c602ac] his partnering in waltz hold - I actually felt secure in his arms, which I don't usually do on the ice (other places, another story!). We managed to remember our extensions on the Kilian-hold dances, which has made them a lot faster and cover more ice. We even managed to remember the variation to the Rhythm Blues, which we hadn't done for a week or so.....

Then Robert went to work and I had my lesson; today my coach was being "assisted" by one of his pupils who is on work experience (he's taking "the gang" to Thorpe Park tomorrow - a local theme park, for those who don't know it - which sounds like [i:8015c602ac]very[/i:8015c602ac] hard work to me - not!). Actually, it was good having another pair of eyes, and E was most flattering, saying how much faster I'd got, and how much my basic skating had improved, since she had last seen me skate! Did a dress rehearsal of my Free dance, which was great, and changed one or two last bits. There were some steps that I [i:8015c602ac]hope[/i:8015c602ac] I'll be able to do by October that simply weren't working now, so I dumbed them down a bit, and we changed another place to avoid my having to stop yet again, so it's better. Then I got changed back into practice-kit, and worked on some basic stroking, both forwards and backwards, and the change-of-edge dance move that I'm still having trouble with. Ended up with having to do three forward crossovers, hold the final inside edge, then change edge, both directions round the circle.

But my coach was actually most complimentary, and said that now that my basic skating was so very much better (!!!!!!) I must concentrate on my posture and extension all the time.

Well, competition tomorrow and Friday; I'll be sure and post all about it, probably bore you rigid! I expect three last places, but I'm hoping that not every judge will have me last this year.

Oh, one last "ludicrous" - the timetable for the British Adult Championships have arrived, and the skating is only on the Sunday! Just when I had booked us into a hotel on the Saturday night, too... Grrr. Still, we can be there for the draw, and for a Dance Moves seminar on the Sunday morning, and still have a leisurely breakfast, so I am quite pleased. Also it means I don't have to take Saturday off work....

quarkiki2
06-26-2002, 10:24 AM
Fourth Lesson, Alpha Adult

[color=darkred:659f908482]Loverly:[/color:659f908482]
Well, I'm 1/2 way through my session and I'll test Alpha in 3 weeks. I think I'm ok on everything except my left-over-right forward crossovers and I "feel" like they'll be there by the time I test. I'm still having issues getting my feet "pinky toe to pinky toe" like they want for ISI, but it was much better this lesson. We worked a lot on keeping my upper body hugging the circle (actually, what worked better for me was thinking about pressing my front arm across my body with energy -- my back arm seems to follow my shoulders prety naturally then). Also on keeping my legs bent, have discovered that I must make this a very conscious effort or it's the first thing to go.

Then I worked on backward stroking and started learning backward crossovers. I think my stroking is OK for a beginner -- I managed to make it across the short way of the rink without stopping and I wasn't TOO jerky. Last week this was a complete no-show and I credit my new skates for providing the support I needed to trust myself to go backwards. I did, however, ask my instructor to "Please tell me when I'm near the wall or about to flatten a Tot!" Crossovers were, well, interesting. I need to feel more confident in backwards glides, I think, but I understand what the motion [b:659f908482]should[/b:659f908482] be so I can play around with them the next time I practice.

Tried T-stops, but instructor was worried about teaching them because my blades were newly sharpened and she thinks they're easier to learn on duller blades. I think I may just need to bend my knees more, T position is very natural for me on both sides, just need to practice.

[color=green:659f908482]Very Loverly:[/color:659f908482]
My group lesson, BTW, was a private one as my other classmate wasn't there!

[color=blue:659f908482]Very, Very Loverly:[/color:659f908482]
New skates did not cause blisters! My feet, however, were very tired after the 1/2 hour lesson and I only stayed on the ice for about 5 minutes of the 15 minutes of free time after the session, mostly stroking. Found this to be far less effort than before and I was able to pick up speed faster, too.

All in all it was a fun lesson and I worked hard enough to sweat -- I really felt like I got alot accomplished and can truly see the value in private lessons.

LoopLoop
06-26-2002, 10:43 AM
Loverly:
* Coach was happy with my MITF, she wants more toe-pointing for my test next week (juvenile).
* Worked on double loop exercises.
* Changed my arm/shoulder position on my camel entrance, which made a much more stable spin.

Ludicrous:
* My coach is leaving! She's moving in August.
* Forgot to practice my new tricks, flying back sit and deathdrop.
* Summer session started this week and I have to get used to different skaters/different programs.

Alexa
06-26-2002, 12:30 PM
I have started classes again, and it is a lot of fun.

Good stuff: Since we have a small class, we get a lot of personal attention. This is a great thing because we are really focusing on specific skills and taking the time to learn them. I could kind of do crossovers, but with this class I am really learning the proper way to do them. The instructor really breaks down each movement in order to help us get a feel for what we should be doing.

Good and Bad stuff: In my previous class we were slightly introduced to 3 turns and mohawks, but were not ready to do them yet. In this class, I am learning the mohawk, which I know will not be easy for me. So far, I have just been working alongside the boards and getting a feel for the motion. Well, I did that long enough that my legs and buttocks were killing me the next day. Feeling better now, but I sure got a work out!

jazzpants
06-27-2002, 02:02 PM
[b:44460f9924]Glorious:[/b:44460f9924]
[list:44460f9924][*:44460f9924]That I was able to get up early (for me anyway...it was a 7:45-8:45am session) to skate in the first place!!! I had LOTS of shocked faces...since the only time I see a lot of these skaters are at skating club parties and competitions. :p [*:44460f9924]STILL able to do loops in my semi-sleep state.[/list:u:44460f9924][b:44460f9924]Ghastly:[/b:44460f9924][list:44460f9924][*:44460f9924]Until today, I haven't skated since Sat. night. I was busy this week. And primary coach couldn't see me Monday night anyway. He had to move my lesson to Wed. night!!! (Yeap! I'm going back for more in a little while...do I have AOSS or what???) :) [*:44460f9924]My scratch spin. Oui vei... am I collecting those frequent mileage points!?!? :( [*:44460f9924]Until the very last sit spin before I left the FS session, I wasn't able to get in a good sit spin. *sigh* (But I am smiling since my last sit spin was a good one.) :D [*:44460f9924]Backspin doesn't exist in the mornings :( [*:44460f9924]Neither does waltz jumps!!! :([*:44460f9924]If I could just fix this one problem with me doing back crossovers around the ends of the rink, I should get at least 50% of my Adult Bronze test problems solved. (The other half is nerves and getting up that early in the morning to test!!!) :b But as it is now, the first two elements on the pre-juv moves test (which is part of the Adult Bronze Moves test) should be okay.[/list:u:44460f9924]
Cheers,
jazzpants

db
06-28-2002, 12:30 PM
[b:fd1d08dc0c]Loverly[/b:fd1d08dc0c]
Thursday, had 15 minute private lesson, as our coach was out on Monday. I had been practicing the pre-Juv forward power crossover pattern when I suddenly had a vision of crashing and had to stop in the middle. This was the first pattern coach had me do, and she raved about it! She said, first, that it would have easily passed the pre-Juv test, then went on to elaborate on my flow, speed, timing and deep inside edges. In two years this was the first time I every got anything absolutely right, with no tweaks needed.

In practice, I was able to do the back cross-stroke exercise for the first time: cross, cross, cross and hold for a whole circle...repeat with circle held on other foot. The point is to deepen the back outside edges. This one is definitley going to take me a while.

[b:fd1d08dc0c]Ludicrous[/b:fd1d08dc0c]
Totally ludicrous that I can do a pre-Juv pattern to perfection, but can't pass the pre-Prelim moves for lack of a waltz-8. I will probably never be able to test pre-Juv as even two footing the power pulls is hard on my knees.

Drove over an hour with no A/C in 9' for an empty public session on Wed, only to find that a day camp had descended upon the rink spilling 150 eight to twelve year old boys onto the ice. My daughter staked out a spot at the back of the rink and was able to do a few jumps and spins, but for moves, which is all I do, it was a total waste.

melanieuk
06-28-2002, 02:20 PM
I had a reasonably good skate today - with only 3 on the ice. :)
Problems with the spins again. 8)

Mrs Redboots
06-28-2002, 03:40 PM
[quote:039d90b0da="melanieuk"]I had a reasonably good skate today - with only 3 on the ice. :)
[/quote:039d90b0da]That's because most of your lot were at Bracknell! Why weren't you?????