View Full Version : What rinks around the Pittsburgh area is good for visit?

tidesong
10-02-2005, 08:51 AM
I am planning a trip to pittsburgh in PA usa next year to visit my friends and I'm wondering if I should consider bringing my skates along to skate. Are there any good public ice time that I can go to, or can a guest use freestyle time? I'm totally clueless about all these because here we only have public ice! Can someone help me about this?

Perry
10-03-2005, 06:04 AM
The best rink is probably Island Sports (http://www.rmuislandsports.org/OnTheMove/findoutmore.about_rmu?ipage=61758), and there's a couple good public sessions during the day, but the weekend ones are incredibly crowded.

In the South Hills, there's the Mt. Lebanon Rec Center which has some good midday sessions and Bethel Park Bladerunners, which I'm not sure about.

There's also the Harmarville and Cranberry Bladerunners, Southpointe, and, if you're coming in the winter, the Rink at PPG Plaza, which while tiny, is in the middle of downtown and really pretty.

I'm pretty sure all the freestyle times at these rink are open to everyone, with the exception of once weekly club sessions (Sunday afternoon for Island, Saturday morning for Mt. Lebanon, not sure about Southpointe). Your best bet is to find out where your friends live and call the closest rink to find when they're open. But if you're coming in the winter, especially around Churstmas, definately skate at PPG.

crayonskater
10-03-2005, 09:09 PM
Bethel Park's Bladerunners (about 45 minutes outside of Pittsburgh) has daytime skating sessions for about $6; the time I skated there I had the ice to myself.

tidesong
10-04-2005, 12:26 PM
Awesome thanks for the info! Another friend at my rink suggested that I ask my friend to check her local telephone directory and ring the rinks up for me to double check. I am planning to go between July-September next year so it would be summerish wont it.
I may be going to boston and baltimore as well... I have a friend in boston i could ask... but not sure for baltimore... could any of you give info on rinks near Baltimore maryland too? Thanks :)

Perry
10-04-2005, 01:56 PM
During the summer months, most Pittsburgh ice (at least until 3PM) is freestyle, though Bladerunner Harmarville cut their ice last year. Island always has ice AT LEAST from 6AM to 3PM, usually later, and Mt. Lebanon has gone as late as 7PM some summers, though their ice shortens in August. Both are fairly empty, though Island get crowded mid-morning.

As for Baltimore, I know of a couple good rinks in DC, but none closer to Baltimore.