View Full Version : Ice Interrupted

Black Sheep
05-17-2003, 06:08 PM
Lately it seems my practice times are getting interrupted a lot. Sometimes by multiple(!) doctor/dentist appointments, others by shifted work hours, and others by home services who don't show up on time or not at all. When I have to change my sked. so much to accomodate for all these, it cuts into my ice times and forces me to hop around to all these other rinks struggling to find something accomodating. I managed to get up at 5:00 a.m. today (a Saturday) for what turned out to be a crowded 6:50 a.m. (1-hour) session at a new (for me) rink. Turns out a lot of kids were having privates and/or practicing for their upcoming show (next month).

Figureskates
05-17-2003, 06:50 PM
Welcome to the club!!

I work rotating shifts so it becomes a real nightmare.

When are bosses going to realize that figure skating is much more important than me making them rich? Hello!

I think all the rinks are crowded with end of the season ice shows and the final tests before summer. The last session I was on about a week ago, as soon as I stepped out on the ice the average age of all the skaters jumped 8 years.

sk8er1964
05-17-2003, 08:47 PM
My winter rink has closed, so I'm going to another one at lunch, starting this past week. Yesterday I went to skate and there was a busload of elementary school kids there for open skate :evil: :evil: :evil: (why the rink schedules field trips during regular open skate hours I don't know.)

So I ended up leaving work early to go to club ice, which means I'll have to make up the work time somewhere.

MissIndigo
05-17-2003, 08:55 PM
I hear ya, every one!

We have a wonderful seasonal rink where I live that is open only from October-March. Then I have to trek 25 miles to the nearest year-round rink. It wouldn't be such a problem if school weren't so demanding. I find I don't have the energy to make the drive unless I know I am going to the rink for a lesson or to meet someone to skate. It can take more than a three hour chunk out of my day...30 minutes to travel, 20 minutes to warm up and get skates on, hour lesson, play around for 30 minutes, lunch for 30-45 minutes or so (I absolutely cannot wolf food down), then travel back to school, another 30 minutes. I can make up the time in lab if I need to by coming in early or leaving later, but I don't want to leave after dark every night. It is tough being a grad student and trying to accomplish something in skating.

I'm lucky if I get to do this once a week. There is not adequate ice time on weekends to make the trip worth it.:(

Aussie Willy
05-18-2003, 08:14 AM
Since I became a driving instructor this year my skating times have been limited to public sessions on Wednesday night and Sunday mornings because teaching times clash with figure skating sessions. I am not too concerned because life is pretty busy, but we used to have Thursday evening public sessions which the rink handed over the hockey (they thought they could make more money). If it was still open on Thursday then I could skate 3 times a week. And it was such a nice session too.

Oh well - I just think of the money I save. And I have to get my priorities right.