View Full Version : Skating year in review for you.

singerskates
05-16-2003, 08:14 PM
I'll start this thread with my skating year in review. Hope it has been better for you.

I'm from Skate Canada WOS Sun Parlour but I'm based in Windsor, ON and skate with Riverside SC. I'm sort of injured now. OK, a lot injured. I've sprained my right Achilles tendon and right knee from over use. I had to pull out of the Ann Arbor Spring Skate which is this weekend. I'm stuck working on my ice dances in hopes of testing in a week. As my right leg goes, it seems I'm going to have a little chance of passing the dances but I'm determined to try even if it kills me. After that, I'm off of the ice until September because I am having trouble just standing on my right leg. The deep edges in my dancing hurt as I do them. My sports doc/chiropractor/physiotherapist wanted to clock me over the head today because I over did it yesterday by just swimming laps at the gym and then ice dancing. He and his assistant could see that I was in more than usual pain. I thought I was taking it easy by not freeskating, not jumping by doing ice dance. He can't wait until I'm off of the ice. It's been an up and down year for me this year. Started working on the loop, flip and backspin in Sept., had ovarian cyst removed in early October, didn't skate until January (no abs), had to turn down Sun Parlour Star Skate competition, turned down WOS Bernie Deveau, competed at North American and really sucked (no strength- FS 4th pewter medal [won gold medal last year] and interpretive [8th]), rejoined Goodlife Fitness, competed at COS comp (FS silver medal, interpretive bronze medal [wrong type of program judges didn't understand program]), pull out of Ann Arbor due to injury.

B

Mel1977
05-16-2003, 09:23 PM
I had a great year! It seems like each season seems to come and go faster and faster. I coached 9 private students this year, ranging from Basic 5 - PrePreliminary, and taught learn to skate. That consumed most of my ice time. In October, I took 2 of my students to a competition in Maplewood, MN. They did very well, I didn't compete thought.

Highlight of the year though had to be turning 25 on December 13, and finally being able to test as an adult skater. I passed pre bronze and bronze moves and freeskate on December 16, and was able to go to Adult Nationals.

February was Badger State Games, 5 of my students went, plus I skated 3 events. 2 of my girls and myself qualified for State Games of America in August!!!

Adult Nationals was so awesome. I didn't medal, or even make a final round, but the experience was just amazing. It gives me something to keep working for, after seeing what other adults out there can do.

So, after a relaxing trip to Disney in 3 weeks, our summer session starts, and I am determined to land my axel this summer! We'll have to see what happens!

Figureskates
05-16-2003, 09:36 PM
I past my pre-pre moves...

After a year that started with a bout of Lyme Disease, that is an acomplishment.

Plan to skate this summer, go to Lake Placid in August.

becca
05-16-2003, 10:08 PM
Hmm, I think that this year has been my best yet. My first competiton was Hamilton Invitiational where I won (no double jumps allowed), I came 4th at Snowflake Skate, 9th at Metro West Area Interclub, 9th at Oshawa Invitational, 13th at EOS spring invitational and 1st at Thornhill Adult comp. Each skate was better then the one before (even if the results don't show it).

I also got all of my doubles (except axel) this year. They went from non-existant (or half a turn cheated on the middle of the blade) to clean, on the toe and consistant. My spins and overall speed have also improved.
The only area of my skating that has not really imporved is dance (but to be fair, I don't really put much effort into it). I may be working on my gold dances for the rest of my life.

Chico
05-17-2003, 12:24 AM
I feel like I'm improving, especially of late. I feel like my foundation is getting better and thus the new trend to harder skills and better old ones. Needless to say I'm enjoying this. It's fun to try what I consider harder stuff and have some success with it. My highs are working on my 2 loop, 2 sal, layback and backscratch. I can't do any of these well, but just trying is exciting to me. I'm having a good year. =-) I'm skating, how could it be bad?!

Chico

Debbie S
05-17-2003, 02:06 PM
Well, let's see. I started out in September with a trip to Todd Eldredge's skating clinic in Philly. At that point, I had finished Freestyle level 1 (USFSA sequence) but could barely spin and could really only do a waltz jump. We had briefly learned toe loops, but mine was rather, um, weak. Unfortunately, no skating clinics with famous skaters are on the horizon, b/c I sure would have some more things to demonstrate, and work on.

I can now do a scratch spin, sit spin, and camel (well, it's getting there). I've recently learned that my problems with spinning stem more from my uneven boot soles than my lack of ability. I'm looking forward to seeing how much better I can spin with my new skates (when I get them, I'm going to look over the heels and soles with a fine tooth comb). I learned a proper toe loop, the waltz/toe combo, the salchow (which I thought would be impossible), and I'm working on the loop and flip. I can also do forward turns on both edges of both feet, although some of them will get easier when I get my new skates, with even blades. I can also do back turns, which scared me when I first started learning them.

My goals for next year (and the summer): Get a consistent loop, flip, and lutz, make serious progress toward the axel, get a better back spin (and be able to do the change-foot scratch spin), and get smoother turns - no toe picks. I also want to take (and pass) Pre-Bronze MIF and FS, and Bronze MIF (once I learn the 5-step mohawk sequence). I'm going to (hopefully) start taking private lessons in the fall. If I'm feeling really ambitious, I'll even enter a competition. Since I'm starting business school in the fall, I'm going to have to see how to balance skating with my other commitments.

dbny
05-17-2003, 02:28 PM
A pretty good year, all in all. Changed blades from Majestic to Coronation Ace without too much trouble. Went from a 1/2" hollow to 7/16" and love it. Began privately coaching tots, and coaching Basic 2 groups and Mommy & Me. Earned ISI Certificate in Ice Arena Management. Stopped being scared of back cross strokes, and actually started to get some deep edges and good speed on them. Began FI threes and can now do them on R and occasionally on L. Started spinning and can now sometimes step into spin from windup. Revived the tiniest waltz jump in the world. Got pretty smooth on RFI Mohawk and less scared of LFI. Began juv 8 step Mohawk pattern and can cheat FO Mohawks. Got over my fear of the prelim BI edge pattern engendered by breaking my wrist on it. Best of all: regained the waltz-8 and passed pre-preliminary moves!

Black Sheep
05-17-2003, 05:54 PM
I reached all three of my major goals this year!

1. I got to student-teach classes at my local (seasonal) rink. It wasn't a course or a test exactly, but I like to think I passed with flying colors!

2. I got a solo in my rink's annual Ice Theatre show (again). What made this solo special was that my music was from "my generation"--i.e., "Little China Girl" by David Bowie from 1983!

3. I placed higher than last/near last in all my events at Adult Sectionals and Nationals, and even won one!

Now I have three more major goals for next season, all of which I believe I can easily reach:

1. To get on the payroll teaching group classes at my home rink (Pre-Alpha through Gamma/Delta, ages 6 and up).

2. To get in the "Elite" group number in my rink's Ice Theatre 2004.

3. To get on the medal stands at Adult Sectionals and Nationals.

8-)

Mrs Redboots
05-18-2003, 12:09 AM
My year hasn't really finished yet - I still have another 5 weeks of competitions still to go. And the schools here in England don't finish until the 3rd week in July (in Scotland it's the end of June), although the universities and colleges (we make a distinction) do finish at the end of June/beginning of July.

So far I have skated well at one competition and skated badly in another, and come last both times! Although Robert and I were pleased not to come last in our particular class, but we didn't beat our closest rivals (yet again! Wait until the Mountain Cup!). All the hard work we have done over the winter has paid off, though, in terms of speed and flow and edge quality and ice coverage. Now we need to work on partnering each other.

tidesong
05-18-2003, 10:17 AM
Hmm.. i shall say my skating year started last may until now.
Competitions:
Skate Malaysia: Pretty Good
Interschool: Not so good but tired after skate malaysia (was i think a month apart)
Nationals: Ok considering its the first time out with the 2 sal, and axel in the middle of the program and a longer program

New Jumps landed:
Double salchow

New spins learnt:
Camel-sit-change-sit-Y
Flying camel
Layback

New turns learnt:
Choctaw
Rocker

General improvment:
Speed
Posture (my sis used to say i look like an elephant on skates. she agrees i dont anymore *phew*)

Of course everything is still under the learning process and i haven't even begun to master anything on this list i.e. the can do it in my sleep stage

jp1andOnly
05-18-2003, 11:26 AM
Well, this was a year completely off the ice. I did manage to skate a couple of times, but due to lack of funds and time I didn't get back to taking even one lesson liked I had hoped.

I did however lose weight, and because of that I need new skates as my feet have shrunk in length and width. I also did off ice jumping a bit as I have access to large areas. I can actually now rotate a double axel off ice. It's hard to believe what a difference in weight can do for a person. And spirals..wow..my leg can get up there now without me trying to heave it up there.

Next years goals are to try to get out and skate. I'm hoping they keep the adult ice time where it is, as I'll plan my teaching and afterschool activities around it ;) I probably won't be starting until winter session, as us teachers don't get paid in the summer so I'll need to pay off the debts first. I'd like to be able to test my few remaining dances and maybe even try to get those doubles up and running.

blondeangl
05-18-2003, 11:46 AM
my first seven months of skating have been wonderful so here is what i have accomplished:

Jumps:
Waltz
Half-rev Salchow
Half-rev Loop (im working on full rev)

Spins:
2 foot
1 foot
another type of 1foot from back xo's reminds me of scratch spin (just started)

Tests:
Basic 1-5

TreSk8sAZ
05-18-2003, 12:01 PM
Wow! So many people are done with their competitive seasons, and mine is just starting, really! Now that we have FOUND competitions that no test/pre-pre freeskate and no test/prelim 19 year olds can compete in. (Anyone out there knows of any in the Southwest US, PM me!!) Once we actually have a testing session at our rink, I can finally move out of the darn no test field (in other words, once the management and their little hockey politics finally get straightened out). Started skating again in January (after a 10 year absence) and could barely do crossovers anymore. Found the best coach ever, and started with privates right away. Moved up quickly, up to my axel now, with combo spins. Dances are my favorite, I must say, which is good since my coach was mainly a dancer (and a good one at that!) Competed in my first competition this weekend in a team event, and we placed third. Got my spiral the 3 inches higher for my coach during the competition, which was wonderful! Also got a 2nd place rating by THE most important judge in our area, which was a huge accomplishment. Next competition is in July, doing Canasta, Rhythym Blues, and a freeskate/compulsory. Can't wait! As for goals for the remaining season (most of our area competitions start in March and go through October) are definitely to clean up all of my jumps, center my spins more, work on flexibility, and land my first double by August. Between work, college, and now living at least 45 minutes from the rink, I'm also making a concerted effort to keep my practice schedule as is, and my goal is to drop no more than one day a week.

DancinDiva
05-18-2003, 04:52 PM
Well, this year was my first year skating. I started in January, and prior to that I had never skated before. Compared to the rest of you, my accomplishments seem tiny, but I'm happy with what I've learned. Over the course of 15 lessons I learned front and back crossovers, foward inside and back inside mohawks, and bunny hops. I also started working on spirals and a two-footed spin. And my instructor and I discovered that I am a natural when it comes to spread eagles. I even impressed some of the high freestyle skaters at my rink with my spread eagle! At my very last lesson I started working on the LFO three turn. Now I'm waiting for summer classes to start, and getting very impatient while doing so!

StarshineXavier
05-18-2003, 05:11 PM
I had a pretty good year in skating. I don't compete anymore, but I'm still trying to make my way through the test stream. This year I passed 3 tests, Blues, Silver Interpretive and Jr. Silver Freeskate. I also started landing 2 loops consistantly. I started coaching this year as well, and formed a great relationship with the girl I coached. I successfully choreographed my first solo, and recieved a 'good' on my freeskate test for program composition and use of music. I landed a 2 flip for the first time too!

The happiest moment this season was not something I did, but something a very, very close friend did. She has been working on her 2 axel on and off for about 3 years now. I have been helping her with it for about 2 of those years. She landed her first 2 axel last week, and it was better than a lot of 2 axels done by the top 10 ladies in the world. I am so proud of her for finally landing it. :D

CanAmSk8ter
05-18-2003, 06:52 PM
Well, my year pretty much kicked butt. I've been doing most of my training at a new rink for quite awhile now, since January of 2002, and I'm happier than I've been in a long time. I've gotten to know so many wonderful people, including the two who were my role models as a young ice dancer, I've made an awesome new group of friends, I'm teaching quite a bit, and basically I wake up every morning thinking, "I can't wait to go to the rink," because something fun happens there pretty much every day. I'm happier than I've been in ages, and I'm skating better because of it. The only downer has been occasional flare-ups of what we think is tendinitis in my right knee, but with ice and Advil they usually go away within a few weeks.

My year started the last week of August 2002 (we have year-round ice here). I passed my Intermediate Moves and I finished my Pre-Silver dance. I did a local competition in October in novice (solo) dance and came in last, but I was in the middle of my first major tendinitis flare-up so it wasn't a big deal. I've made friends with a couple of the girls I compete against regularly, so it was fun to see them anyway.

In February, I tested my Rocker and failed. I was expecting to fail, so I didn't care much. I got some good feedback, and didn't fail by as huge a margin as I expected, so it wasn't a total loss.

In March, I went to Worlds as a late Christmas present. That week in DC was something I'll never forget as long as I live. I think it will be years before I realize the full impact that week had on me as a skater. It was truly the best week of my life.

A few weeks ago, I retested the Rocker and failed again. My coach was shocked. I think he was more upset than I was, actually. The hardest judge on the panel passed me, and no one has been able to say exactly why they think the other two didn't. People at my other rink have been saying they heard the judges were tough on everybody that day, and since the particular judge that passed me did so, I have no nerves about testing it again next month.

Those are the big things. I also learned my last Gold dance, skated in an exhibition at my new rink, learned two International dances (although one isn't going to be an International much longer), and had a ton of fun!

sk8er1964
05-18-2003, 06:53 PM
It was a year ago this month that I started with my coach (a year and 3 months since I started skating again after 21 years). I told my coach that I wanted to compete in Adult Nationals this year -- even with injury we achieved this goal. What happened in the last year:

1. Passed the adult pre-bronze, bronze and silver freestyle tests in August;
2. Passed the adult gold MIF test in October;
3. Passed the adult gold freestyle in November.
4. Competed in my first competition in February, the same week that I got injured. Did an exhibition at another comp, then had to withdraw from Sectionals due to the same injury :cry: .
5. Got a good doc and good PT, and competed at AN. Had a clean program (yeah!) and loved the scoring of Judge #7! :D
6. Now on a no jump edict from the doc, but after a week feeling pretty good. Working on crossovers etc with the goal of deep knee bends, good etension and excellent flow. I have 3 more weeks of isolating on the Intermediate MIF's.
7. Next year's goals - getting the basics down pat, getting 2 doubles back, preferably 3, and qualifying for next year's Adult Nationals at the Gold level.

Mel On Ice
05-19-2003, 12:34 PM
I consider the year to go on USFSA schedule:

July 2002 - I took the ISI freestyle 2 test and passed. I practiced the USFSA bronze freestyle test, hoping to pass it before the MIF requirement took place. I failed.

Sept 2002 - Competed at the Adult Championships in San Francisco and won 3 silver medals - one freestyle, and 2 with my synchro team. Brian Biotano sang Happy Birthday to me. I met JazzPants. I also took my boots into SP-Teri for their magical transformation into valuable skating equipment.

October 2002 - Started bronze MIF. Found all of them to be relatively easy, except for power 3s, for which I still have a tendency to be sloppy.

December 2002 - I competed at the Show Me State Games and won 3 gold medals for freestyle, spotlight and synchro. I start landing flips and loops with some sort of consistency.

January 2003 - I competed at the Missouri State Invitational and won 4 gold medals for freestyle, spotlight, compulsories and synchro.

February 2003 - I competed at the Sweetheart Open and won 3 gold medals for compulsories, synchro compulsories and synchro freestyle; I won silver for freestyle. Loops are coming easier to me now; flips take a major setback as I slash my leg not once, but twice. I also do a fascinating fall-bounce-slide.

March 2003 - I took the ISI freestyle 3 test and failed the change-foot. I also took a major spill in choreography class, spraining my ankle, and taking me off the ice for 8 weeks.

April 2003 - My team goes to ISI Synchro Championships and win 2 golds and a silver. I go to be team cheerleader while carrying the guard bucket, weeping openly, while Gary tries to stop me from doing the moves off ice. They take me out on the ice and let me hold the trophy while we get our pictures taken. I attend my first board meeting for the Heartland Interclub Association, a meeting about NuSkin. I am allowed back on the ice April 25 for stroking only.

May 2003 - I am allowed to spin again on May 1; jump on May 3. I get back all the half jumps except 1/2 flip and 1/2 lutz, the toe and the salchow. Loop again is shaky and it still hurts to do a flip or attempt a lutz. I meet oodles of skaters at Governor's Council and resist the urge to squeal "ohmigod, do you know who you are?!" Meet vesperholly, who drags me along on her quest to stalk Michelle Kwan. She is successful, but my photo with MK looks like I'm hovering, shellshocked. I make up for that by BSing with with Carol Heiss Jenkins in the girl's room and meeting her husband. I am named secretary of the Heartland Inter-Club Association and *I hope* re-elected PR Director of SPFSA (I find out tonight).

June 2003 - Competing at the Grand Rapids Open in two events, high beginner artistic showcase (what ISI considers spotlight) and adutl bronze freestyle. Knowing who some of my competitors are, I don't give myself much of a chance to medal, but I'm hoping to have fun anyway.

Raine
05-20-2003, 09:39 AM
04/2002 - Start regular private lessons with goal of passing my Bronze test and competing at Bronze at 2003 Adult Nationals. It hardly seems possible, given my level of skating--inconsistent flips and loops, no lutz, etc.

05/2002 - Prepare for pre-Bronze and Bronze adult FS tests; suffer a laceration while doing a backspin 8O.

06/2002 - Pass pre-Bronze (flying colors) and Bronze (shaky).

09-10/2002 - Hardly skate at all and have to look for a new coach.

11/2002 - New coach; start working on lutz again.

01/2003 - Start landing lutzes consistently, although I cheat rotation and do flutzes much of the time.

02/2003 - Medal at first competition, NY Winter Classic (3rd of 5); skate cleanly and somewhat shaky, but at least the lutz is there. :) After this comp, I add more technical difficulty to the program.

03/2003 - Second comp; I bomb out, but my spins are pretty good, finish 5th of 7.

04/2003 - I place last (7th of 7) at my third comp, which is my sendoff to Adult Nationals, but I have a good day at Nationals, miraculously finishing 3rd. :)

05/2003 - Start working on MITF pre-pre and prelim with the goal of laying a foundation for Adult Silver MITF. I'm seriously going to need knee pads for this! 8O Switch from Pattern 99s to MK Visions with the hopes of improving backspin and turns.

Adult Nationals and New York Winter Classic were the highlights for me. I definitely prefer all-adult competitions. Inspiring stuff. Except for the lutz, I didn't really add any new moves to my repertoire, which is kind of disappointing. I'm hoping to move up to Silver, but with the MITF requirement, it's proving to be very challenging.

Happy Skating,
Raine

JDC1
05-20-2003, 10:27 AM
1) Well, I've dealt with nagging injuries and managed to keep them from turning into something serious.

2) I've found that my true love is Dance and not free-style.

3) I've improved my posture 100%

4) I rarely look down at the ice anymore!! (except practicing twizzles)

5) I skate MUCH faster.

6) thanks to dance my edges are MUCH better even my back edges.

I haven't tested yet and that's a big goal and I haven't bought a dress and forced myself to wear it yet so if I accomplish those 2 goals by Dec I'll be content with myself and skating.

singerskates
05-23-2003, 05:02 PM
I have to make an update to my skating year. In addiction to an 8th,
Pewter, Bronze and Silver medal from competing, I tested today.
Before I tell you how I did, I must tell you this delicious story. It
was last Saturday, when I my coach told me that I had the timing all
wrong for my dance and that I was no where near ready to test my
dance. I was angry with what my coach said so I tried to do the dance
a few times but with no success because of all the other coaches who
got in the way just at the wrong time in my dance pattern which made
me mess up the dance. But my coach was right that I had the timing
all wrong. So while I was angry I decided to run through my freeskate
program and hold back on the jumps. That was ok the first time around
but what my coach said continued to bother me even more deeply.
Because I was so distrubed about my dance, I forgot to hold back on
my jumps and actually landed every jump in my program that I had in
competition when I won the silver medal at COS Spring Skate. I paid
later with pain. But I was so determind, I continued to try to
convince my coach that I wanted to test no matter what she said. I
finally got her to allow me to test and had her put me on the test
roster. I'm listed in pen, not type written. Even yesterday, my coach
thought I wasn't ready. Maybe yesterday but not today. Anyway, I
tested my Canasta Tango. I would have loved to see my coaches face
when she found out that I passed when she said that there was no way
that I was ready. I not only passed the Canasta Tango but I passed
every part of the dance with a satisfactory except for the pattern
where I received a good. So much for my coach's thoughts on me not
being ready. How did I get ready between yesterday evening and today
to pass? I listened to my music in the van ( Thanks Mary for the
Dance CD. I couldn't have passed the test without your help.) and
then when I got home from work, I put the CD on my computer to play
it through the speakers in my rec room. I went through the steps over
and over and over. The reason I didn't get the timing before was that
I was looking for a drum beat. How stupid of me to think I needed to
have a drum beat to keep the beat?! ROTFLOL Anyway, I finally got the
feeling for the dance finding out I needed to feel and listen for a
heart beat feeling in the tune. I can hardly wait to see my coach's
face and/or hear her when she finds out that I not only passed but
passed every part of the dance and with a good for the pattern. Life
is so delicious!!!!!!!

B

Originally posted by singerskates
I'll start this thread with my skating year in review. Hope it has been better for you.

I'm from Skate Canada WOS Sun Parlour but I'm based in Windsor, ON and skate with Riverside SC. I'm sort of injured now. OK, a lot injured. I've sprained my right Achilles tendon and right knee from over use. I had to pull out of the Ann Arbor Spring Skate which is this weekend. I'm stuck working on my ice dances in hopes of testing in a week. As my right leg goes, it seems I'm going to have a little chance of passing the dances but I'm determined to try even if it kills me. After that, I'm off of the ice until September because I am having trouble just standing on my right leg. The deep edges in my dancing hurt as I do them. My sports doc/chiropractor/physiotherapist wanted to clock me over the head today because I over did it yesterday by just swimming laps at the gym and then ice dancing. He and his assistant could see that I was in more than usual pain. I thought I was taking it easy by not freeskating, not jumping by doing ice dance. He can't wait until I'm off of the ice. It's been an up and down year for me this year. Started working on the loop, flip and backspin in Sept., had ovarian cyst removed in early October, didn't skate until January (no abs), had to turn down Sun Parlour Star Skate competition, turned down WOS Bernie Deveau, competed at North American and really sucked (no strength- FS 4th pewter medal [won gold medal last year] and interpretive [8th]), rejoined Goodlife Fitness, competed at COS comp (FS silver medal, interpretive bronze medal [wrong type of program judges didn't understand program]), pull out of Ann Arbor due to injury.

B

jp1andOnly
05-23-2003, 07:25 PM
Good for you. Getting those dances tested can be nerve wracking

As a primary judge, it's nice to see the adults out and testing. Just a heads up though..unless you make huge mistakes, we judges like to pass the prelim dances. I only know one child who failed their dutch waltz and thats because they did all the steps wrong, even on the retry. Glad you took it seriously though. Some skaters think we should pass everything.

And as a music teacher, it drives me bonkers when skaters get out there and test and cannot feel the beat. Many younger skaters just think they can skate thru the music. Understanding where the beat is is just as important in the steps. Glad you found the beat! And as I say to all my students (have them patting their legs)" this is a steady beat, this is a steady beat" :)

CanAmSk8ter
05-24-2003, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by jp1andOnly

And as a music teacher, it drives me bonkers when skaters get out there and test and cannot feel the beat. Many younger skaters just think they can skate thru the music. Understanding where the beat is is just as important in the steps. Glad you found the beat! And as I say to all my students (have them patting their legs)" this is a steady beat, this is a steady beat" :)

I totally know what you mean. I played piano, violin, and clarinet in elementary school, and I hate seeing dances being tested when the skater is clearly depending on the coach/partner to take care of the timing. This is a big reason why I'm disappointed to see the solo requirement taken away from Pre-Silver; personally, I don't think they should ever have taken it off the Bronze. I've seen some nice high-level dances skated very well, but then the skater goes out to solo and is clearly off-time for large portions of the dance. I've seen dances fail where this was the only problem with the dance- but I agree that it's a big enough problem to merit failure, especially after the Bronze level.

Figureskates
05-24-2003, 08:38 PM
Gad, after reading some of the posts, I feel like a slacker!!

singerskates
05-25-2003, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by jp1andOnly
Good for you. Getting those dances tested can be nerve wracking

I was a cool cucumber taking the test until I was ready to get off of the ice and I had to sit through many high level dances before we could leave the hockey team area of the rink. My trick to not feel nervous by being judged was to keep thinking I was in a competition. Yeah, I am not nervous competing. I don't compete in ice dance but I do compete in freeskating and interpretive. Once the announcer is done introducing me on the warm up, I'm a cool cucumber. I've now found the trick to not feel as though I'm being judged. To me competing is is like putting on a show for the audience. Performing for audiences is fun.

To be honest though, when I first went out on the ice to warm up the dance on the warm up, I just about killed myself because I didn't have my legs yet when I went to stop in place to begin the dance. AFter that it was smooth sailing.

B

Blayse_01
06-06-2003, 12:44 PM
:evil: this year is probably one of the worst years i've had in my 11 years of skating. Summer School in august i ripped a legiment and was in a brace for all of summer school:cry: then to make things worse, when the skating season started up, i did it AGAIN and i had the brace on from October to December!! a little while after that i sprained my ankle, then i cracked a rib! I managed to get to go to most of our competitions, though i didnt do all that great in them...I was REALLY sick at Regoinals (ive been going to regionals since the age of 7, im now 13) and ended up placing 5th out of 7. Our fun Competition that we hold every year, i competed in Freeskate and Interpritive and ended up 3rd out of 3 and 2nd out of 3. so much for the OLD staduim being a hex for me! I've hurt myself more times in the past 3 years at our new staduim, then i hurt myself in all of the 8 years at the old arena!!!