View Full Version : Pilates and skating ?

garyc254
05-16-2003, 08:10 AM
I'm trying to work out a summer schedule for exercise and skating. The local community college is offering a class in pilates. I know I've seen them discussed in other threads, but never really paid much attention.

Maybe it's a dumb question, but what exactly is pilates? What benefit will it be toward skating?

sk8er1964
05-16-2003, 08:24 AM
Pilates emphasize your body's core muscles. Skaters can always use good core muscles. I've only done them once, and they were quite hard. I'm going to try them again soon.

batikat
05-16-2003, 08:38 AM
Pilates is great for skating. It places great emphasis on 'core stability' the deep abdominal muscles that are the powerhouse channelling and controlling the energy through the body. I think you would find that many off-ice conditioning programmes include a great deal of Pilates based exercise. It is also supposed to be good for helping with bad backs but make sure you get a good teacher. It also helps with postural awareness which is good for skating.

garyc254
05-16-2003, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by sk8er1964
Pilates emphasize your body's core muscles.

But what are they? I know it's an exercise routine, but what is it similar to? Yoga? Kickboxing? Step aerobics? Weight training?

sk8pics
05-16-2003, 08:51 AM
I started doing Pilates last year on the recommendation of my coach. It really is great for developing your core strength and helps you to hold yourself in the right positions on the ice. This is one activity where lessons from a qualified instructor are very important, because if you are not doing the exercises correctly you have the potential to injure yourself or at the very least not help yourself.

I have always done private Pilates lessons, and just recently returned to them after a hiatus, and am doing 30 minutes per week. Private lessons really ensure you are doing things correctly, but if you're in a group setting I would suggest making sure the class is not so large that you don't get adequate attention. When I was doing an hour a week, we also did other skating-related exercises such as wobble board work on spirals and landing positions. My Pilates instructor is a former competitive skater who coaches now, and I believe she tailors the Pilates specifically for skaters. We also spend time stretching and I find that very helpful.

The key to all of the Pilates exercises is to do them without the help of any momentum, and if you're lying on your back, your back should be flat against the floor. You really do all the work with your abdominal muscles, so part of what you learn is how to isolate your muscles. The exercises are VERY hard but are typically modified somewhat for beginners. For example, as a beginner your knees may be bent for some exercises and when you progress you may do them with straight extended legs. Some of the exercises are modifications of basic sit-ups that you have probably done before, but it's a whole 'nother story when you're doing the exercises (particularly on the way back down to a lying down position) slowly! Your instructor will make sure you are doing the exercises slowly enough and with good form.

Good luck with it!

Pat

*dani-skates*
05-16-2003, 09:02 AM
I take pilates, I really like it, I find realtively relaxing, its not a cardio vascular form of exercise at all, I guess it would be most like yoga. The exercises are sometimes difficult but they require concentration so if you're having a bad day then they are good to. They help with back problems when taught properly and I would reccomend you try them.

anital
05-16-2003, 09:03 AM
I do pilates 3 times a week, an hour each time. I started before it was trendy!! :) I started as part of physio after my stroke and in addition to my skating.

Pat decribes it well, my instructors favourite catch phrase is "tummy to your spine" which at first seems like you are breathing in all the time. Pilates takes a long time to get the hang of, but I love it. If you have done yoga before (like I had) it is said that it is more difficult. Pilates shares the spiritual/meditation/relaxing/stretching formula of yoga, but the exercises are done from a completely different angel, using "core" muscles (abdomen). I agree that you learn to isolate your muscles.

I'm also tripling the suggestion that you get a well qualified instructor and to inform him/her of ANY injuries/illnesses you have or have had. Groups of five or less or private lessons are ideal, over 10 I would say stretching it and over 15 I would never think of taking.

Good Luck!

pinkjellybean
05-16-2003, 10:17 AM
I love pilates as well... I started doing it in small group lessons at the rink quite a few years ago. I now keep up with classes at my gym and have a book and tape I sometimes use at home.

I find it relaxing and strengthening but it is a challenging work out. Without thinking about it my posture on the ice improved a great deal which was impressive since I'd done ballet since I was in kindergarten. I relax while I'm doing it and really enjoy it, it doesn't feel like work or excercise.

For people who are unfamilliar with pilates I do relate it to a yoga type exercise however I find it much more enjoyable. My mom is a yoga person so I'd tried it with her but I just don't enjoy yoga whereas I adore pilates.

You could try looking in on a class but I'd really suggest trying one. I have no problems doing it in a group however my groups have always been small anywhere from 2-10 people, one day we had 15 and it can work as long as it's a good instructor!! Just sign up for a beginner class to ease into it or have the instructor tell you the modified version.

Good luck

dobiesk8r
05-16-2003, 12:44 PM
I just bought my own reformer and chair, exactly the same
kind as my trainer uses. I just got tired of having to drive
somewhere to have someone tell me to do something I
would rather do on my own. She would use me as the
person to push, since I'm flexible and strong. Yes, it helped
my skating, so did having some excellent coaches who
emphasized core strength.

There is a lot of Pilates out there, and a lot of trainers.
There's Pilates mat work, and there's work on the equipment.
All equipment is not created equal, nor are all trainers. A
good trainer should at all times emphasize good form,
because it is possible to hurt yourself doing some of these
things.

(I know this because my sister-in-law is representing a
woman who was seriously injured while working on the
reformer with a trainer. In all likelihood, this woman should
never have been doing the exercise (tree climber) in the
first place, at least unassisted.)

As to the benefits for skating, I think Pilates helps in the way
you hold yourself while skating, and makes injury less likely.
Plain and simple, if you hold your core solid, you are more over
your edge which makes everything more secure, faster, better
looking.

But your mileage may vary.

Emanfan
05-16-2003, 12:57 PM
Pilates for me has been a lifesaver. Not only is it physically beneficial - it has a spiritual quality to it as well - much like yoga. I have my own machine at home.

I remember watching Sasha Cohen (while still in juniors) training with the Pilates system - she and NNN. Look as what it has done for Sasha - fabulous for strength and flexibility.

sk8pics
05-16-2003, 01:12 PM
I wanted to add that my only experience is with mat based Pilates work. And yes, I figured I could do it on my own so that's partly why I took a break from private lessons. But I slipped into some bad habits by doing it myself. It's all much harder again now that my instructor is pointing out all my mistakes!

Good luck to everyone.
Pat

Lili
05-16-2003, 06:39 PM
When I did matt pilates for a while, I felt an overall improvement in my skating. I felt less tired after my lessons and sessions. Lately I have been slacking. The last time I did a session of pilates was about 4 months ago :(.

My health club is offering yoga and pilates combined (I think..) and I have been thinking about taking it this summer.

mikawendy
05-17-2003, 06:02 PM
Hi, Gary!

I've been doing Pilates for more than 6 years (much longer than I've been skating) and I really love it. It gives you core strength for anything you do, including skating and household work.

I started off doing mat classes (approx 10 people per class) because of money. Then I did privates every other week and mat every other week to save money. Luckily I found two other students who were at my level and we did duets and trios on the apparatus. Right now I'm at a level where I'm allowed to pay a smaller fee and work out on the equipment on my own, as long as a trained teacher is in the room.

I REALLY love it. I think it's worth every penny I've spent on it. It has helped me completely get rid of my sciatica, piriformis syndrome, SI joint pain, and a problem with one of my rotator cuffs. After the first year I noticed a big change in the shape of my body--I didn't weigh less but everyone kept telling me I looked like I lost weight.

I love how invigorating Pilates is--even when I'm tired, I feel better after a workout. I don't feel exhausted after Pilates the way I do after running. I feel like my whole body is awake and "breathing" because of the increased circulation.

If you start taking classes, be sure to let your instructor know of any injuries so that he or she can tailor the exercises to avoid that injury or can tell you what not to do, etc. etc.

As far as skating goes, I think that Pilates really helps me with balance and control--my core is stronger so I can move my extremities better. I think my back/abdomen/glut muscles are stronger because of it, and that helps me during spirals, getting up from lunges, and during back crossovers.

If you try it, post a message to let us know what you think!