View Full Version : Edges

tidesong
05-13-2003, 01:21 AM
1) How is body lean related to the edge you are doing?

2) What is a deep edge. Is it the determined by angle of the blade to the ice?

3) What then is the kind of edge that goes in a small circle or a big circle. What do you call those edges.

4) What is happening when you don't feel secure on your edges? I think maybe i'm not on a proper edge/flat or too deep an edge(I use deep for angle of blade to ice here). How do i keep from the two extremes?

5) When i press very hard on my big toe ( to get the inside edge) my arch of the foot hurts. Does this mean my boot is not right for me? (ughh) Or am i pressing too hard?

Isabelle
05-13-2003, 08:57 AM
1) How is body lean related to the edge you are doing?
Your body lean helps you get a deeper edge. You do lean towards the edge but there's also a thing called "counter-lean" where your upper body leans slightly against the edge. This helps you from feeling like you're going to fall over into the circle, sometimes creating a deeper edge because you feel more secure.

2) What is a deep edge. Is it the determined by angle of the blade to the ice?
Yes, a deep edge is determined by the angle of the blade to the ice.

3) What then is the kind of edge that goes in a small circle or a big circle. What do you call those edges.
I'm not sure what you mean here. All edges are on circles or "lobes".

4) What is happening when you don't feel secure on your edges? I think maybe i'm not on a proper edge/flat or too deep an edge(I use deep for angle of blade to ice here). How do i keep from the two extremes?
Well, it could be a number of things. Your blades could be too dull. (or too sharp for that matter) You could be too much on a flat, or you could be so much on an edge that your boot is touching the ice. Your weight could be in the wrong place. Or it could be a combination of these things.

5) When i press very hard on my big toe ( to get the inside edge) my arch of the foot hurts. Does this mean my boot is not right for me? (ughh) Or am i pressing too hard?
I'm not sure what the problem is here. It sounds like you might be pressing too hard but I don't really know.

Hope this helped! :)

sk8er1964
05-13-2003, 09:30 AM
Isabelle pretty much covered it! :)

What I want to add is a plug for a video by Charlie Butler. He did a clinic for us at Adult Nationals, and I ended up buying the video. In it he talks about things like counter-balancing, weight position and where you should be on your blade in things like edges, crossovers and footwork.

The website is http://www.physicsonice.com/

I though it was worth the $38.

dooobedooo
05-13-2003, 09:46 AM
Edges are achieved by rocking your ankles over and bending your knees.

tidesong
05-13-2003, 10:21 PM
thanks pple. esp isabelle (i'm an isabelle too but you got here first :P )
Anyway what do you call it when you make yourself skate in a smaller circle or a larger circle? does the deepnest of edge affect that?

Mrs Redboots
05-14-2003, 05:41 AM
It's not so much the depth of edge - although it can be - but often it's determined by where your shoulders are. Try this: Glide round on an outside edge with your skating shoulder forwards, and then, as you come to a standstill, push off again on to the same foot, and this time bring your other shoulder forwards. See what difference it makes? N.B. It's important to move your shoulders, not just your arms!