View Full Version : I got new skates!

quarkiki2
06-21-2002, 12:19 PM
I got new skates for an early birthday present!

After a 3 hour drive to the pro shop recommended to me by my instructor, and a 2.5 hour fitting, I am the proud owner of a pair of beautiful white size 7 Riedell [color=orange:db9b35f8b9]Gold Star[/color:db9b35f8b9] skates!

How in the world did I, an Alpha/Beta adult skater, end up in [color=orange:db9b35f8b9]Gold Stars [/color:db9b35f8b9]for a first pair of skates, you ask? Apparently I have the body type known as "Boot-Crusher", LOL!

I had previously tried on a pair of [color=darkred:db9b35f8b9]320s[/color:db9b35f8b9], but found the ball of the skate to be too tight and the heel to be too wide. So my wonderful skate-fitter tried me in a pair of [color=olive:db9b35f8b9]125s[/color:db9b35f8b9] (I think) to see if length was right. Then she tried a pair of [color=darkred:db9b35f8b9]320s[/color:db9b35f8b9] to see where the width was not right. She asked me to stand and bend my knees and I completly folded the ankle of the boot. 8O Yes, they were tied tightly and there were blades on them.

So, she brought out a pair of [color=darkblue:db9b35f8b9]Silver[/color:db9b35f8b9][color=indigo:db9b35f8b9] Stars [/color:db9b35f8b9]because the last is different than the [color=darkred:db9b35f8b9]320s[/color:db9b35f8b9]. As soon as my foot slid into the skate, I felt like I was coming home! The last was a match with my foot and the boot was very, very comfortable. And that was the problem -- she asked me to stand and bend my knees again and I folded the [color=darkblue:db9b35f8b9]Silver Stars[/color:db9b35f8b9]. 8O 8O She said something about dancer's legs and mine being very strong -- I'm not sure if she was just trying to be polite about me being overweight, though, LOL!

So, just for grins she brought out a pair of [color=orange:db9b35f8b9]Gold Stars [/color:db9b35f8b9](same last as the [color=darkblue:db9b35f8b9]Silver)[/color:db9b35f8b9] and I tried one [color=darkblue:db9b35f8b9]Silver[/color:db9b35f8b9] and one [color=orange:db9b35f8b9]Gold[/color:db9b35f8b9] for comparison. I stood and bent my knees. My left knee ([color=darkblue:db9b35f8b9]Silver[/color:db9b35f8b9]) bent a TON more than my right ([color=orange:db9b35f8b9]Gold[/color:db9b35f8b9]). I walked around the shop for a bit and the difference was so very obvious. While both were comfortable, I felt like the [color=darkblue:db9b35f8b9]Silver Stars [/color:db9b35f8b9]were already broken in and I'd been wearing them for months. As a former dancer, I can tell when my footgear does not have the correct support and I'm used to a bit of discomfort from snug shoes.

I don't think I've been over-booted, I saw with my own eyes what bending my knees did to the [color=darkred:db9b35f8b9]320s[/color:db9b35f8b9] and [color=darkblue:db9b35f8b9]Silver Stars[/color:db9b35f8b9]. I felt the difference in the [color=orange:db9b35f8b9]Gold Stars [/color:db9b35f8b9]and I know from all of you that new skates should be uncomfortable at first and, though I'm only doing crossovers right now, I know that if the skates aren't right for my body I will have a tough time and could get hurt.

We ended up punching out the outside of the right ankle a bit and the inside of the ball of my left foot and when I put them on after that, they felt great! 8)

So we'll see how I do on them. I'm planning to go to the rink tonight for a while -- I'll spend 15-20 minutes on the ice, take a 15-20 minute break with my skates off, and repeat that a couple of times. I don't expect miracles to happen, but I'm hoping that better skates will help improve my stability and control (eventually -- I'm fully prepared to spend quite a bit of tonight on my bum!) :lol:

Schmeck
06-21-2002, 01:57 PM
Wow, I've had my Silver Stars for 3 1/2 years, and they're not broken down a bit. I couldn't get them to even lace tightly at first, they were so stiff! But I'm pretty small (5'3", 108 lbs) Hope your Gold Stars last as long - but it sounds like you'll be in to the 'real' skates, Riedells are considered recreational skates in my area. SP Teris,Harlicks, and Grafs are for the 'big kids' aka, serious skaters. But they're also so much more $$$$$ 8O

Schmeck, who is going to have to pay $$$ for daughter's new skates since she's decided to do synchro and club this year...

garyc254
06-21-2002, 02:03 PM
Way to go!!!! 8) Getting new skates is soooo exciting!!!! :D :D Unless you're a skater, you don't know the thrill.

Just be a little cautious tonight and there'll be no reason to be on your bum. :wink:

db
06-21-2002, 05:52 PM
Congrats on your new skates! What blades did you get? I'll bet your dance background gave you strong legs and that has more to do with Gold Stars being right for you than your weight does. I've always had strong legs from being a roller skater (dance) as a kid. It showed up when I started skiing as a young adult and again when I took Karate.

I don't think the new skates are so likely to land you on your bum, as they are to just slow your progress temporarily as you get used to them and break them in. After that, I do think they will prove to be an asset to your progress.

BTW, Kurt Browning and Kristi Yamaguchi both skate in Riedells. So much for their being recreational boots.

TashaKat
06-23-2002, 02:31 AM
Hi, how are you finding them? I've never used Riedells but my former coach skates in them all the time.

I've got my new boots too :) but am still waiting for the blades to be attached! I can't WAIT, they're stronger than the last ones (these are just for Free rather than dual use) but feel SO comfortable ...... I'm in love ;)

[img:d654587cc3]http://pictures.friendsreunited.co.uk/pictures/14720015.jpg[/img:d654587cc3]

L x

quarkiki2
06-24-2002, 10:28 AM
TashaKat, are those your new boots? They're absolutely beautiful!!!

Well, I had a busy weekend and was only able to get on the ice for about an hour. I was on for 15 minutes, then off for 10 minutes three times. I did not get any blisters, yay! I did find that the top of the boots cut into my legs when I bend my knees. And my legs were exhausted from working in them.

I just had them mount a pair of MK Club 2000 blades for now. I'm not doing jumps or spins yet and, honestly, couldn't afford another $75. I figure that's what I'll get myself for Christmas -- a pair of Aces.

I also figured out that my previous equipment was contributing to my crossover connundrum! I couldn't get onto an outside edge to save my life!! My ankles are just flexible enough that though my knee was bent and I was looking into the circle with a good upper body position, my feet were scared of the lean on the blade and would level out on the flat. Now, with my stiffer boots I am able to actually lean into the circle on the edge! Of course, this completely upset the balance I was used to and I have a whole new set of problems, but all in all, I feel like I can conquer the crossover!!!

My Grandmother came up for my birthday (I'll be 29 next Sunday) and, I swear, she was so proud of me for trying something new and "daring." Now she wants to know what I will take up for my 39th birthday, LOL!!

TashaKat
06-24-2002, 12:55 PM
[quote:84437562ec="quarkiki2"]TashaKat, are those your new boots? They're absolutely beautiful!!![/quote:84437562ec]

Yes, thankyou :) those are my 'babies' ..... long awaited! I STILL haven't got blades attached yet, hopefully this week. I've also just mixed some purple dye with my white pigment and have painted my 'old' (soon to be Dance) boots lilac!

It sounds as though you're doing ok with your new boots, good luck with the crossovers!

L x