View Full Version : Back from Lake Placid...LONG

LoopLoop
06-21-2002, 10:58 AM
I had a great time at this year's June adult week. Of course I overdid it, and ended up with a *very* sore hip flexor and quadriceps, but it was fun anyway. There seemed to be fewer people overall than in previous years, and specifically a different ratio: more freestylers/less dancers. The ice time was also allocated better in my opinion; for part of the afternoon there were adult sessions on two surfaces at once, and the skaters sorted themselves out, so that one rink had lower-level skaters and one had higher-level, which is safer and more fun for everyone.

As for classes...I only did on-ice classes this year, and I took the "kid's" classes rather than the adult-specific ones. That's my recommendation for anyone who's comfortable skating with kids and specifically for anyone who wants to be *pushed.* But one word of warning (I already knew this), Karen Courtland Kelly is the biggest perfectionist I've ever dealt with on the ice, and classes with her can get discouraging because it can seem like work and not fun, but it makes sense since her classes are geared to the kids, not adults.

As for my skating and what I learned...what I really love is spinning, so I took two spin-focused lessons with Robin Miller and started working on a flying change sit and a deathdrop, neither of which were as scary as I'd expected them to be. My jumps in general were about where I'd expected and no major breakthroughs took place. What I did notice is that my skating in general was stronger than before, and I was more aggressive than many of the adults (I skated some sessions with the kids too because it fit my schedule).

If anyone has specific questions, I'll give the best answers I can!
Marna

Michigansk8er
06-21-2002, 11:28 AM
Thanks for the report!!!! :D

Hope I can fit it in to go someday.

Schmeck
06-21-2002, 01:50 PM
Oh how I'd love to do skate camp! Where did you sleep, how was the food, how late did everyone stay up, was there lots of practice ice time?

Schmeck :D , full of questions, as you can see...