View Full Version : Testing Dilemma - your opinions wanted

dbny
05-05-2003, 08:17 PM
My old club is having a test session this month, and my coach is urging me to take either pre-pre moves or adult pre-bronze moves. The problem is that my whole family left this club after much harrassment and a lot of ugliness directed at me and my daughter, initiated by a coach. (To be fair, I did not handle this well at all, and although we would have left anyway, I brought some of the grief on myself by not keeping quiet. I was not the first attacked, and I got involved in defending the first victim.)

This coach is no longer there, but her clique still is, and they control the club. That coach was the test chair, and when she left, and my coach told the club that they needed a test session, they asked her to be the new test chair. She explained to them that she thought it was unethical for a coach to be a test chair (which she could not do before, because the hostile coach was attacking her too, and it would have been perceived as personal), but that she would help whomever agreed to do the job. The parent of one of my coach's students volunteered, and so the test was scheduled. The test fee is only $5, so it will not benefit the club if I test with them.

PROs:

The rink has great ice and is where the skating school that I work at is located
I will not have another chance to test with my coach present before I move away
I'm ready to test, at last
I'm about to join the PSA, and would like to have at least one test passed
$5 is unbelievably inexpensive
Some skaters whom I know and like (and who like me) will be there
The worst member of the clique will not be there

CONs:

I have many very bad feelings about this club, and I don't know if that will affect my performance
Some of the clique will definitely be there
My husband is opposed to it (burned bridges, etc.) and will not go
I will be truly mortified if I do not pass - as opposed to a different testing scenario
I'm feeling sick just writing about this

sk8er1964
05-05-2003, 08:56 PM
What a tough dilemma. If it were me, I wouldn't do it. The only reason I wouldn't do it is that I am the type of person that needs to concentrate 100% on the test - outside baggage would distract me. The whole purpose of taking the test is to pass, and if I was in your situation the passing part would be in jeopardy.

If you are ok with testing through the outside baggage, then go for it. I suppose that I probably would if I were the kind of person that could ignore that baggage. I guess it depends on what kind of tester you are.

jazzpants
05-05-2003, 09:04 PM
Yikes, I see the uncomfortable situation. That would depend on how well you think you're prepared for both tests. If your old coach thinks that there's ABSOLUTELY NO QUESTION that you would pass those tests...I would take the test at your old club rink and GO KICK SOME ICE BUTTS!!! http://mysmilies.creativesell.net/kao/otn/blob_box.gif

love2sk8
05-05-2003, 09:06 PM
OMG I LOVE that smilie!!!!!!!!!!!

i think you should go for it..don't let them have the opportunity to smirk and say "yup, we intimidated her/him (sry, i don't know which gender!) enough so that she has to go and try a test somewhere else!"

sk8ing is lyfe
05-05-2003, 09:06 PM
I would definately go for it!!! You should skate because you love it. Don't let anyone discourage you or get in your way of accomplishing your PB. If you get it, then it makes you look better and you can flaunt it. If you don't, well at least you know you gave it a shot. Also, those coaches are obviously not very professional. If you just stay calm in dealing with them, it will likely make them very frusterated and mad!!!!

DO NOT JEOPARDIZE YOUR PROGRESS JUST BECAUSE YOU ARE AFRAID OF A PARTICULAR GROUP!!!!!

skate for yourself, and do not be concerned of what others think.

I hope i talked you into doing it!

randomskater
05-05-2003, 09:08 PM
I would definately go for it. I was in the same position a few weeks ago, and passed all tests with flying colours. I had to try the tests at an old club that I left because of issues with coachingand was very nervous about trying tests there. I just went out with the attitude that I was going to show them what I could do!
Good Luck with your tests

Elsy2
05-05-2003, 10:17 PM
I just want to add that all those issues will have no impact on how the judges view your test, period. They don't know the flack going on, and if you are prepared to test, and confident in your ability, that's what is important.

It does concern me that you are feeling sick just thinking about this situation, and that's not good. We all know that a good percentage of skating well is feeling mentally up to the task. So......you need to be the one to decide if the whole business is too intimidating for you or not.

I don't know how other clubs are, but at our club I am a test chair, and will not tell the results of anyone's test except the skater. I think it's unethical to do otherwise. So, nobody should know if you pass or not. It's not like they announce it over a loudspeaker. Hopefully your club keeps such info confidential as well.

Figureskates
05-06-2003, 05:53 AM
DBNY, go for it.

The key phrase is that this will be the last time before you move.

I would test, pass, and say good riddance.

Good luck.

garyc254
05-06-2003, 08:31 AM
GO FOR IT, GIRL!!!!! :D :D :D

Do it so you can test with this coach. Take a good friend with you for support. Stay away from those in the clique. Take the test, walk out of the rink with your head high, and blow a kiss goodbye to the whole mess.

sonora
05-06-2003, 10:14 AM
The tests you are considering taking can be single panelled, that it, judged by just one judge. Have you asked the test chair of your current club if she might be able to accommodate you? My club often arranges for single panel tests to be done quickly and unobtrusively on uncrowded sessions, when there is no test session available.

While I agree with those who say you should not allow yourself to be intimidated, your test should be a good experience for you. Put yourself and your comfort and happiness first.

quarkiki2
05-06-2003, 10:33 AM
Do you think you'll regret not testing? I've found that regret is the hardest feeling to live with because you know you could have done something about it in the first place.

Because you're moving, you're not likely to run in to the clique on a regular basis, so if you don't pass they're not going to be following you around pointing and laughing.

Your coach believes in you. The judges don't give a hoot about the politics of your situation -- just what you put on the ice.

You've worked really hard fot this and it would ba a shame not to show it off!

kayskate
05-06-2003, 01:06 PM
Have you taken a skating test before or performed? Only you know how you react in these situations, even under the best circumstances. Sounds like you are already stressed out about it. How do you think that will influence your skating? Do you think you might skate so poorly due to nerves alone that you might not pass? That would be very discouraging, especially if this is your first experience. OTOH, if you can block it out and pass, you know you can conquer anything. If it were me, I know the discomfort of the situation would bother me. However, I get nervous under normal conditions when testing.

Kay

flippet
05-06-2003, 02:04 PM
I'd go for it. As you said, you're moving, so this is your parting shot, so to speak. Whether you pass or not, you won't have to deal with these people again, right? If you pass, you'll feel fantastic about beating your demons there. If you don't...well, you've only blown $5.:lol:

The only reason you might not, is if it's really, really making you ill. It's only skating, after all, no need to give yourself an ulcer over it.

But I'd go for it. Kick some tushie is right! :twisted:

dbny
05-06-2003, 02:20 PM
Thanks for all the great advice. To answer some of the questions you have asked, and maybe clarify things for myself:

Have you asked the test chair of your current club if she might be able to accommodate you?
My current club is huge and has branches at many rinks in the area. Test sessions are packed and skaters regularly get closed out of them even months in advance, so asking a test chair to accomodate me is impossible.

Have you taken a skating test before or performed? Only you know how you react in these situations, even under the best circumstances. Sounds like you are already stressed out about it. How do you think that will influence your skating?
I have never tested on ice before, but skated many tests as a roller dancer when I was a teenager. My recollection is that I was horribly nervous, but once the music started, I was fine. Of course, I won't have music to carry me on a moves test. I did skate figures also as a roller skater, and even competed in figures and dance a little. Nerves were a problem for me, but not a decisive factor.

Do you think you'll regret not testing?
Yes. I've gone with my husband's instincts before when they were not in agreement with mine, and have had some pretty miserable and longstanding regrets about it.

Because you're moving, you're not likely to run in to the clique on a regular basis, so if you don't pass they're not going to be following you around pointing and laughing.
I'm moving a good four hours away, and in all likelihood, will never see the nasty ones again. I might run into a few of my friends from that club if I come back for a few lessons with my coach. They would't engage in that particular kind of behaviour anyway.

It does concern me that you are feeling sick just thinking about this situation, and that's not good. We all know that a good percentage of skating well is feeling mentally up to the task. So......you need to be the one to decide if the whole business is too intimidating for you or not.
Absolutely key. I think I need to make up my mind soon, and then be resolute about it.

Wow - this is really helping me. I'm going to call my coach and discuss it further with her. She's asked me to call so we could talk about it privately, out of earshot of hubby, who is upset at just the thought.

wannask8
05-08-2003, 08:08 PM
db, consider that your personal performance history is likely to be a good indicator. If you have a history of pre-performance nerves, that may be contributing to your feeling sick-ish contemplating this event (i.e., it's a test, so of course you'd be nervous thinking about it anyway). Similarly, if you have a history of overcoming your nerves and shining once the music starts, its reasonable to believe that that would be the case in this situation as well.

Good luck with your decision.

-- wannask8

dbny
05-15-2003, 08:53 PM
Thank you all for your support and help in my decision making process. I decided during my lesson Monday to go for it, but have been trying to avoid thinking about it due to nerves, hence no posting here about it.

I was so nervous that I just about shook all day. The test was in the evening, and as soon as I got on the ice, my nerves quieted some, but did kick in again on the waltz-8, which was the worst one I did in the past two weeks. Nevertheless, I didn't have to reskate anything, and got lots of compliments and only one needs improvement comment on the height of my freeleg on spirals - no surprise there.

Except for the one member of the club who was the most hateful towards me when I was a member, even my old "foes" were polite and welcoming. That one, and her two daughters acted like I wasn't there, even when I was right in front of them :roll: Some people never grow up. It was also great to see some of my old skating friends, three of whom passed their adult bronze moves tonight. I am so glad I did this. This test had assumed monstrous proportions in my mind because I had broken my wrist on the BI edge pattern immediately after paying the test fee for this one at Lake Placid. I was so relieved when it was over, that I didn't even think about the results :D

Elsy2
05-15-2003, 09:23 PM
That's wonderful! Congratulations! :) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

jazzpants
05-16-2003, 01:07 AM
Congrats on DB passing your tests and showing those sorry souls what a wonderful skater they've just lost out of their skating club!
http://216.40.249.192/s/kao/otn/pcheerleader.gif

BTW: did hubby show up for support? I'm guessing you did only pre-pre moves since you mentioned about the spirals.

Mrs Redboots
05-16-2003, 06:07 AM
FANTASTIC!!!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

sk8er1964
05-16-2003, 08:29 AM
Great job!!! You sure have a lot of guts - good for you! :D

batikat
05-16-2003, 08:33 AM
Congratulations!!! I'm so pleased you went for it and even more thrilled to hear you passed! Knew you would!!

Onward and upward!!

garyc254
05-16-2003, 08:48 AM
I'm proud for you!!! :D :D :D

Not only did you pass your tests, but you overcame your personal feelings and nervousness to do it. That's a terrific feat.

dbny
05-16-2003, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by jazzpants
BTW: did hubby show up for support? I'm guessing you did only pre-pre moves since you mentioned about the spirals.

Hubby had withdrawn his objection, but couldn't bring himself to go with me. He drove me there and picked me up, which was great because I dressed at home. I brought a change of clothes and we went out for dinner after to celebrate.

I have to add that I saved the day for someone. The test chair's daughter was also testing last night, and got there only to find a huge rip in her tights. I had brought an extra pair only because a friend had suggested it the day before. Happily, they fit her.

I need to thank you all again. I definitley would not have been able to test there without your encouragement.

skaternum
05-16-2003, 11:22 AM
Good for you! (I sound like Peggy Fleming. Yikes.) It took real guts to go out there and test. Congratulations!!

flo
05-16-2003, 11:27 AM
Dbny,
Congratulations!

quarkiki2
05-16-2003, 01:19 PM
Yay for you! Good work! 8-) :D 8-) :D

wannask8
05-21-2003, 09:58 PM
db, I've just logged on and seen your excellent news -- well done!! It sounds like it had the best possible outcome. Your next test should be a breeze . . .!

-- wannask8