View Full Version : Off Ice Q

Candleonwater
05-05-2003, 02:04 PM
I know there are a lot of people on either side of the fence in this issue, but I'm curious to know where you all stand...

Do you allow your kids to practice their jumps off ice?

My daughter started to about 2 months ago... and this past weekend I was told it is very hazardous to do this. We actually have had two kids, ar our rink, break ankle bones while practicing their jumps off ice.

Is this something I might consider taking her out of? She's only 6 and has just started working on her axel.

Mrs Redboots
05-05-2003, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by Candleonwater
Do you allow your kids to practice their jumps off ice?

Not in the front room! I banned jumping in the front room after both she and my husband had nearly had Nasty Accidents bumping into the fridge (which lives in the front room as there's no room in the kitchen for it).

Be guided by your child's coach - if s/he trains the child to jump off-ice, then ask about good safety practice - i.e. should this be done only with trainers, or only on the lawn, or what? If your child's coach doesn't do off-ice jump training with your child, then she probably shouldn't practice alone. Or not without the coach's knowledge and consent, anyway.

spicyicey
05-05-2003, 03:26 PM
I never practice my jumps off ice. It probably has to do with the fact that I'm not a natural jumper and I rely a lot on timing and speed to do my jumps. Because of this, I stink at off-ice jumps, and don't do them often. The only type of off-ice jumping that I do is two-footed rotations when I have to warm up for competitions.

On the other hand, I have seen people who can do jumps off ice fine (like axels) but can't do them on the ice at all. This is most likely because they weren't comfortable enough on the ice with their edges, etc.

I can definitely see how injuries could come from these exercises though, as there is no ability to flow out, and a lot of the motions are very different from on-ice. I used to notice that my ankles were annoyed after I did jumps and I used to use ace bandages or a soft brace thingy (don't really know what it was) sometimes when I would jump off-ice. I don't think off ice jumping is necessary, but if you do decide to do it, you might want to use hops at the end of the jumps to take away some of the force on the landing foot.

becca
05-05-2003, 03:39 PM
I practice off-ice jumps but not in the traditional way. I start with hopping up with my legs crossed and landing in a proper handing position (no rotation in air). Then I do 2 foot jumping and add half a rotation each time until I hit 2 rotations (since i am working on doubles). After that I set up each jump, walk through the take-off (including pivot and bringing my knee up, etc.) then I put both feet down and jump on 2 feet, rotate and land (ususally on 2ft if more than 1 rotation). On axels, sals and toes, i do the same thing but after seeting up the jump i take a step or hop and then take off 1 foot like an axel (i still try to land on 2 feet). This way you get the feeling of rotation, air position and proper take-off and you greatly reduce the risk of injury.

IceDanceSk8er
05-05-2003, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by Candleonwater
She's only 6 and has just started working on her axel.

Is your daughter skating at the Juvenile level?

nycbumpkin
05-05-2003, 03:52 PM
my daughter's coaches insist on off-ice jump practice, and everyone around here does it -- some a lot, some just for warmups before skating...I know one "name-brand" coach says every skater should do half an hour of off-ice jumps a day !!! it does seem more likely to cause injury though, doesn't it

IceDanceSk8er
05-05-2003, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by nycbumpkin
my daughter's coaches insist on off-ice jump practice, and everyone around here does it -- some a lot, some just for warmups before skating...I know one "name-brand" coach says every skater should do half an hour of off-ice jumps a day !!! it does seem more likely to cause injury though, doesn't it

Without knowing who your coach is, most "name-brand" coaches would suggest that their skaters work with an off-ice strength and conditioning coach or work in a controlled environment that provides tutoring and safety. There is a big difference between jumping on the ice and jumping off ice.

Are you at liberty to tell us who this coach is?

nycbumpkin
05-05-2003, 04:13 PM
oh i'm sorry...i should say that most of this off-ice jumping recommended is done in the context of an off-ice jump class taught by a coach BUT most of the kids around here do include off ice jumping in their warmup when they are unsupervised....i am uncomfortable naming the coach but it is someone who travels around the country teaching jump seminars and has been to Olympics/Worlds several times with well known skaters

tazsk8s
05-05-2003, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by nycbumpkin

That sounds like an awful lot of jumping, plus they are doing more on the ice.

Our off-ice strength and conditioning coach includes very, very controlled jumping as part of the off-ice classes he teaches. He has a periodization schedule where we only do them at certain times of the year, peaking around Regionals which is the "end" of the season for most kids (except the very few who might go on to Sectionals or Jr. Nat'ls). After Regionals we work on other aspects of off-ice strength and conditioning instead of jumps, to prevent injuries and burnout. There are plenty of other things to work on that we don't get bored. He started teaching jumps again in March. It's a goofy schedule for me, as my "peak" should have been in April, right around Adult Nationals, but it's something I have to just live with until we have enough competitive adults who will commit to the classes regularly.

When we work on jumps in class, we have strict instructions to do X many reps. No more, no less. EVERYONE starts on 1/2 rotation no matter what they are capable of on the ice. Once we can show correct technique on 1/2 rotation we can move on to full rotation. Again, you don't get to move on until you can show good technique on full rotation jumps. Safety is always a priority. It's very easy to blow an ankle or knee by over-rotating on the floor...the foot lands and stops rotating, but the rest of the body keeps going. I have been to off-ice clinics where they have us jump and rotate as many times as possible and then try and land the thing on one foot. This makes me nervous enough that I usually skip this part. Blowing an ankle or knee trying something way beyond my capability OFF the ice is certainly not going to do me any good ON the ice!

Elsy2
05-05-2003, 10:58 PM
I never thought of the hazards of off ice jumping when daughter was learning an axel. She did tons of off ice axels. She also attends regular off ice jump class as well, so has been taught off ice with supervision. One day she was warming up off ice, did an axel, landed and the edge of her foot and broke it. That was the end of plans for our first regionals. But, she has attended years of off ice jump class since, and it has always been a part of her training.

Having said that I don't know what I'd do with a six year old....when my kid were that age they had no sense whatsoever. If you feel uncomfortable about it, perhaps only allow it with a coaches supervision. That way the skater can get the necessary corrections from a professional.

BABYSKATES
05-06-2003, 11:53 AM
My daughter learned her axel when she was 6. She practiced it off ice and it improved her on ice jumps. Up to the single axel level, I think it is ok to practice the actual jump off ice.

Many master coaches include off ice jumping in their programs and summer camps. I have noticed that these classes are usually taught by the master coach (or at least by a very well experienced coach who is trusted by the master coach). I take this to mean that they want it done in a certain way.

My daughter takes an off ice jumping class once a week and I have never seen them do an actual jump (except a single axel) in the class. They practice "air turns", bringing their legs through the jump entrance, springing up, etc. I don't let my daughter do actual jumps off ice unless supervised and instructed in class at the time.

Regarding hopping through through the off ice landings, my daughter's coach also gave that advice.

I have heard of kids who broke bones jumping off ice but I have also heard of kids who broke bones jumping on the ice so who knows!