View Full Version : Peach Classic travel concerns

skaternum
08-31-2005, 08:49 PM
With all the news of real/potential/imagined gas shortages in the Southeast, I'm a little trepidatious about heading out in the car for a 350 mile car trip. Anybody have any info on gas shortages in upstate South Carolina or the Atlanta area?

sue123
08-31-2005, 09:23 PM
From what I heard from somebody I know in Georgia, she said they had cops at the gas stations and lines in the streets waiting for gas, they're afraid they might run out soon. And I'm not sure if it was down south, or in the midwest, but the price of gas has gone up at least a dollar. Not sure how it is by me, since I haven't driven anywhere yet.

jenlyon60
09-01-2005, 04:37 AM
Yesterday, I saw a photo that purported to be from the Atlanta area showing gas priced at over $5/gallon.

I paid $3.18 in Northern Virginia yesterday afternoon... the radio up here interviewed some gas station owners who were faxed from the gas companies that they had to implement price increases in the neighborhood of 70 cents per gallon or more.

In Virginia, the place to complain about perceived/potential gouging is to the State Attorney General Office.

Also supposedly some of the airports including Dulles and Atlanta and Charlotte get their fuel supplies from the refineries in the Gulf, and there is supposedly concern that these airports could run out of jet fuel and have trouble getting more.

skaternum
09-01-2005, 04:52 AM
While I'm unhappy about gas prices going up so high, I'm more concerned about not being able to get any once I'm in Duluth. Much as I like my friends in Duluth, I'm not sure I want to spend a week or so with them. ;)

Terri C
09-01-2005, 05:38 AM
While I'm unhappy about gas prices going up so high, I'm more concerned about not being able to get any once I'm in Duluth. Much as I like my friends in Duluth, I'm not sure I want to spend a week or so with them. ;)

While I know that Rob and gang are starting the Peach Open today, I think a e-mail suggesting a list of gas stations would be helpful. I will try to attempt to "top off " my rental car the minute I arrive in Duluth tomorrow.

Beccapoo2003
09-01-2005, 08:58 AM
We haven't had any gas problems other than the usual price hikes, in Pelham, Al, which is about 3 hours closer to the devastation than Duluth. I think most of it is media hype. :roll:
Becca

jenlyon60
09-01-2005, 10:35 AM
Becca -- I agree 100% that the media is blowing some of this way out of proportion.

I also suspect that the execs at Exxon and BP and Getty and Shell are sitting back perfectly content to use the problems as an excuse to line the pockets of their corporations.

I paid $2.55 for gas last Thursday evening. I paid $3.21 yesterday after work. Same gas station.

Mrs Redboots
09-01-2005, 11:08 AM
I paid $2.55 for gas last Thursday evening. I paid $3.21 yesterday after work. Same gas station.Keep an eye open for stations near a supermarket (supermarkets here usually have the lowest petrol prices, but sometimes get undercut by nearby petrol stations), and some brands are often (but not always) cheaper than others. One garage here (UK) was offering petrol at 92 p/litre (the equivalent of US$ 6.72 per gallon), but a bit later on we saw another garage, same brand of petrol, at just 89p (= US$ 6.48). Meanwhile we had bought it at 90p/litre (US$ 6.56/gallon). The Husband said that the £35 he spent to fill his tank ($63.90) was the most he'd ever spent on petrol in one go.....

But prices do fluctuate, and I'm sure yours will settle down very soon.

jazzpants
09-01-2005, 11:36 AM
Might want to check this out when you're going on your travels. (I do... I can save a good up to $0.08 a gallon by gas-ing at my weekend rink rather than getting it at the gas station near my home...and my home one is cheaper than the closest one in San Francisco.)

http://www.gasbuddy.com (http://www.gasbuddy.com/)

skaternum
09-01-2005, 11:41 AM
The GasBuddy site works great when there's not a price-gouging going on, because it reports prices from the last 72 hours. When prices are going up 10 cents every hour, like they were here this morning, it doesn't tell you anything useful. For example, all the "low" prices were reported last night. All the "high" prices were reported from today.

ETA: I hope the gougers rot in h***, along with the looters and shooters in N.O.

jazzpants
09-01-2005, 11:59 AM
The GasBuddy site works great when there's not a price-gouging going on, because it reports prices from the last 72 hours. When prices are going up 10 cents every hour, like they were here this morning, it doesn't tell you anything useful. For example, all the "low" prices were reported last night. All the "high" prices were reported from today.

ETA: I hope the gougers rot in h***, along with the looters and shooters in N.O.MAN!!! That is major gas gouging! 10 cents every hour??!?! There's definitely a place for those guys that are gouging the prices... :evil: :evil: :evil: (Some of the gas stations in the Bay Area are already doing that too... those rotten creeps!!!)

renatele
09-01-2005, 01:56 PM
Driving to the rink today (northeast NJ), I saw the prices ranging from $2.67 to $3.21 per galon. In some places gas stations had $0.30-0.40 price difference just 100-200 yards apart. Ironically enough, the highest prices were at the non-chain gas stations that usually have the lowest prices. Go figure.

jenlyon60
09-01-2005, 02:21 PM
This was at the Safeway gas station, normally one of the cheapest. Supposedly many of the biggies (Exxon, BP, Shell) are currently lower priced because their operators/franchisee's don't have to buy "open market" like the independents do. Or at least that's the PR they're putting out.

I think it's the rapid increase in price that irritates many of us... 50 cents or more overnight, or even at some places, prices changing (upwards) several times a day.

I was around when Kuwait was invaded in 1990, and the gas stations did steep price increases then, but I don't remember this rate of price rise.

Keep an eye open for stations near a supermarket (supermarkets here usually have the lowest petrol prices, but sometimes get undercut by nearby petrol stations), and some brands are often (but not always) cheaper than others. One garage here (UK) was offering petrol at 92 p/litre (the equivalent of US$ 6.72 per gallon), but a bit later on we saw another garage, same brand of petrol, at just 89p (= US$ 6.48). Meanwhile we had bought it at 90p/litre (US$ 6.56/gallon). The Husband said that the £35 he spent to fill his tank ($63.90) was the most he'd ever spent on petrol in one go.....

But prices do fluctuate, and I'm sure yours will settle down very soon.

sk8er1964
09-01-2005, 03:13 PM
We haven't had any gas problems other than the usual price hikes, in Pelham, Al, which is about 3 hours closer to the devastation than Duluth. I think most of it is media hype. :roll:
Becca

According to my sister-in-law in North Carolina, the stations in her town are out of gas. She said people panicked and cleaned them out of gas.