View Full Version : Firsts

sk8ing is lyfe
05-03-2003, 10:00 PM
As skaters, we should recognise our first accomplishments, whether it is our first time on skates, to landing our first quad.

feel free to post yours here so we can congradulate you!!!!!!

p.s. I just had my first time falling on every jump in my program (no congradulations please!!!)

lord farquad ;)
05-03-2003, 10:07 PM
Lol. First time eh? my first time falling on all my jumps in my program wasss at a competition it majorly sucked!

ummm i would say another good thing ive acomplished but im not skating rite now!

love2sk8
05-03-2003, 10:59 PM
My first break since before the competitive season has just begun! And I'm not too happy about it:??

sk8dr
05-04-2003, 06:12 AM
My first time ice skating was in my first year in boarding school, the first time(but not only time) I snuck out without permission and the first time(but only time) I broke my ankle. It was the first(but not only) time I really got into trouble with the nuns. I have since left boarding school and I love skating and now get on well and laugh about it with the nuns who I caused such headaches to several years ago.

BringontheRain
05-04-2003, 07:36 PM
I landed my first double axel this week. I also did my first non wrapped double lutz double loop :)

AstarZ41
05-04-2003, 09:11 PM
I landed my first single, a salchow, yesterday!! :D

sk8ing is lyfe
05-04-2003, 09:18 PM
wow thats so good!

i did my first fall before a takeoff on a flip today... it hurt!!! (my pick slipped!)

hahahaha

sk8er1964
05-04-2003, 10:14 PM
I went into the harness for the first time yesterday. It was weird, but it did what I wanted it to. (Trying to get the feel of the axel without the annoying scrape that my adult body puts into it - in the harness I did my kid/scrapeless-version, so hopefully, I can do it right on the fly.)

sk8ing is lyfe
05-05-2003, 09:14 PM
i did a reverse lay-back... By accident though ...?!?!?!?!?

AstarZ41
05-06-2003, 05:02 PM
How do you do a reverse layback..is it like a back spin in a layback position? That would look kinda cool actually..why doesn't anyone ever do those intentionally? :)

JDC1
05-07-2003, 08:52 AM
I did my first complete mistake free pattern of the Dutch waltz on monday. :-) Felt good. My swing rolls still need work but I actually rememberd the pattern and did it at speed.

Mel On Ice
05-07-2003, 09:54 AM
I successfully made it back to the ice last week after my first serious skating injury. Jumps I got back already: toe loop, salchow, waltz, ballet. Jumps that are shaky: loop, half walley. Jumps that hurt: flip, half-flip, half lutz.

tidesong
05-08-2003, 09:48 AM
hmm mel, same situation here. just didn't think of it as a first till i read your post. I've done waltz, salchow and toe loop. these three already hurt so i didn't do any more jumps the first day and didn't even attempt jumping today.

icesk8er31
05-10-2003, 08:37 PM
Ok, here's my first. Today, for the first time in 6 years, I got on the ice with my blade guards on and fell hard two steps from the door....

:oops:

sk8ing is lyfe
05-10-2003, 09:07 PM
I hate it when i do that... It really hurts!

I actually forgot to take them off at sectionals one time... that was imbarassing

love2sk8
05-10-2003, 10:15 PM
hahahaha sk8ing....im sry, but thats hilarious!!!!! I'm LMAO....who does that at Sectionals?! lol:P It does hurt....cuz its soooo unexpected!

becca
05-10-2003, 10:30 PM
I did my 1st clean 2toe on thursday (at least the first witnessed one. I think that I did a few just before nationals but my coaches were already in Saskatoon so nobody could confirm it and i couldn't do them when i came back.) That was my last double to get clean (except axel). My goal was to get them all before spring so i did it with 2 days to spare (and got the weekend off).

blondeangl
05-12-2003, 05:08 PM
i had my first practice where i cleanly landed my half-revolution salchow 95% of the time with a excellent take off and landing last week :D

Lili
05-13-2003, 11:46 AM
This was my first week back on the ice since mid-March! I have had horrible foot problems, and the only way they are going to go away (according to the foot doctor) is if I get surgery. I refuse to get surgery, so I will have to deal with these problems for the rest of my skating life.

luna_skater
05-13-2003, 12:32 PM
Had my first test day today and passed my prelim dances! :D

mikawendy
05-13-2003, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by icesk8er31
Ok, here's my first. Today, for the first time in 6 years, I got on the ice with my blade guards on and fell hard two steps from the door....

:oops:

Ouchie, that really hurts! I saw a sweeper do that at the exhibition at the end of Worlds and I could tell she was really upset by it.

sk8ing is lyfe
05-13-2003, 09:13 PM
O my God! Worlds, how embarrassing.... And I thought sectionals was bad!

My story of the day was actually a last.

Today was my last day of the year on the ice... TEAR.. I miss it already, and I just got off.

I now have a six week break before the summer.

TreSk8sAZ
05-15-2003, 12:13 AM
Skated for the first time in my new ankle brace. Have to basically re-break in my right boot to fit the stupid brace. But, it helps, so I cannot complain too much. Another first was getting yelled at for actually doing my axel, usually it's getting yelled at for being chicken and not pulling in tight then popping it. It was just a crazy day! :roll:

wa_skater
05-19-2003, 01:06 PM
I competed in my first skating competition last Friday night! I skated in the pre-bronze category against one other competitor in a local competition. I came in second, but it was close with two of the five judges putting me in first place, so that made me feel good.

I saw the video of myself afterwards, and I'm always surprised that I don't really skate as well as I see myself in my mind. But now I know what to work on going forward.

If you haven't competed, I recommend at least trying it once. It is really a learning experience, and preparing for the comp made me push myself to work harder and go beyond my comfort zone.

~Anna

StarshineXavier
05-19-2003, 01:43 PM
I didn't do this myself, but one of my very close friends landed her 2 axel for the first time last week. She had been working on it on and off for about 3 years, and she finally landed it. They've been rotated for about a week now too.

sk8clean
05-21-2003, 05:41 PM
I love this topic! Last month I was in my first competition. Then I suffered my first injury while skating. I sprained my ankle going down the stairs AFTER getting off the ice. So I have now been not so patiently waiting for a month for the foot to heal.

sk8ing is lyfe
05-31-2003, 10:30 PM
ouch! that isn't fun! O well, make sure you get lots of rest before trying to skatee again

get well and back on the ice soon

just remember, "if you love something let it go and if it comes back thats how you know its for sure!"

in other words... being away from skating will only make you love it more and become more egar to come back!

becca
06-01-2003, 12:16 AM
I decided that I wanted an axel/2toe combo on thurs so I tried it a few times and got one done with only a turn out. Then yesterday and today I was able to do it second try each day and it was totally clean both times (not bad considering I swore that 2toes were totally impossible to do about a month ago)

Schmeck
06-01-2003, 05:36 AM
I finally got two rotations on a backspin - yipppee! Of course, now to get it consistent, with the proper glide out, and maybe get one more rotation (wouldn't that be nice :lol: )

Daughter Icy tried a waltz/toe, waltz/loop and a half lutz this week - got all three on the first try...

Schmeck

Chico
06-01-2003, 11:02 PM
First..Did a pretty good attempt attempt at a 2 loop on Friday. My coach said it was good. This is a first! =-)

Chico

emyh
06-05-2003, 11:48 AM
I also tried my first double loop not too long ago. It was better than all the succeeding attempts after the first one, lol.

batikat
06-05-2003, 03:49 PM
My first was competing in an Improvisation competition. The first time such a competition has ever been done in the UK I think. It was only a club comp and only 3 of us entered but it was quite an experience. You get to listen to a new piece of music for 15 mins ( a 1 min 40 sec piece) while you try and think how to skate to it including some set elements. For this one it was an upright spin, an original spin, and up to 3 jumps from 3-jump (waltz), toe-loop and salchow. Then you just go out and skate it. It was pretty scary adn very hard to think of things to put in between tehe elements - my mind went pretty blank once i was out there so ended up doign far too many fill-in crossovers. But I came second! :D which surprised me as I have never done a Free programme ever and am still learning the jumps- I've never tried to put a salchow or a toe-loop in a programme or do them at any speed before. The other two competitors had passed UK level 2 Free skating tests. I found it very hard to judge the length of time and ran out of music while thinking how to get in position for my toe-loop:roll:
i am going to try it again in a few weeks time when our rink holds it's annual adult opens.

Mrs Redboots
06-06-2003, 08:04 AM
Well, congratulations in coming second. I'm entering it when Batikat does, at her club's Adult Opens (the biggest adult skating competition in the UK, taking 2 days and much looked forward to by all), but expect to come last, as I've never done a free programme before, either. Should be fun - they did it at the Dune of Flanders Cup in Dunkerque last year, and everybody loved it, even one quite senior skater whose mind went totally blank and he just stood there plucking at his sleeve and giggling. Which, of course, made everybody else laugh. Some folk, though, you'd have thought they had been skating that programme for the past year, so fluently and well did they do it.

blue111moon
06-06-2003, 08:40 AM
I got my first gold medal ever this year.

Last night I also managed several right back inside threes on one foot. Which was more of a major accomplishment than I can say. I thought I'd never do those.

Mme.PairChica
06-06-2003, 12:54 PM
first...started working on throw triple sow yesterday and they were all clean on one foot with a landing edge of 2 ft in length before i fell hopefully today is the day :D

icenut84
06-06-2003, 02:52 PM
I had a first today - falling on a spin entry! Eek. I think I caught my toe. My backside didn't touch the ice though 8-) , just my hands and knees...

StarshineXavier
06-09-2003, 09:00 PM
I landed my first double/double combination today. It was a double sal/double loop, and I did 4 of them!

Ellyn
06-11-2003, 10:19 PM
Camel-sit-layback combination.

I had first tried sit-layback 9 or 10 years ago when my camel spin was not at all consistent yet so camel combinations were out. I could do it, though not much better than the solo camel.

After I got a decent camel, some of the time at least, of course I switched to working on camel-sit (with or without change of foot) and camel-layback.

Today I tried the sit-layback again and it was not too hard at all as long as I kept the free leg in the layback low. So I decided to go for the three positions on one foot, and that worked OK too.

Now if only I could add on something better than a wimpy upright after a change of foot.

icenut84
06-12-2003, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by Ellyn
After I got a decent camel, some of the time at least, of course I switched to working on camel-sit (with or without change of foot) and camel-layback.

Today I tried the sit-layback again and it was not too hard at all as long as I kept the free leg in the layback low. So I decided to go for the three positions on one foot, and that worked OK too.

Now if only I could add on something better than a wimpy upright after a change of foot.

If you were doing camel-back sit before, why don't you try doing a back sit after the change of foot on the new combination? I wish I could do spins like that! Or if not, maybe try changing the back upright to a back attitude or a back scratch? It's worth experimenting anyway :)

Ellyn
06-12-2003, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by icenut84
If you were doing camel-back sit before, why don't you try doing a back sit after the change of foot on the new combination? I wish I could do spins like that! Or if not, maybe try changing the back upright to a back attitude or a back scratch? It's worth experimenting anyway :)

I was doing camel-sit to back sit. Forward sit to back sit is an easier change than forward camel to back sit and much easier than layback to back sit. Something to strive for eventually, though.

I tried the back attitude once from this combination; maybe with work I can get it less wimpy.

becca
06-12-2003, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by StarshineXavier
I landed my first double/double combination today. It was a double sal/double loop, and I did 4 of them!

Hey congradulations! I landed my frist double/double a few days ago too. For me is was loop/2loop/2loop (ok, i guess technically is was single/double/double). I have been able to do a few each day (I usually have a small cheat on one of the jumps though...interestingly it's often the first 2loop that has the 1/4 turn cheat and then the second one is clean). I tried a double sal/ double loop at one point last week (that is what my coach wanted me to work on) but my 2sal is slightly over-rotated and so i can't get in the right position for 2loop on the landing.

sk8er1964
06-12-2003, 01:03 PM
I landed my first double toe for my coach yesterday. It was even amost fully rotated. Not too bad, considering until this week I hadn't even tried a double toe since January :) .

becca
06-17-2003, 10:54 PM
I landed my first loop/2loop/2toe and my first 2lutz/2toe today.

Figureskates
06-18-2003, 05:45 AM
Landed a clean salchow for the first time that impressed my coach. Maybe now the fastest or the highest but it was a salchow.

Surprise was my first toeloop, which I just learned today.

mandy_j07
06-25-2003, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by BringontheRain
I landed my first double axel this week. I also did my first non wrapped double lutz double loop :)

How old are you?? Cuz I was working on the exact same jumps before summer started.. do you have any tips for me?

TreSk8sAZ
06-25-2003, 10:40 PM
This week/Today's lesson:
First time landing loops, now consistant
First time doing a clean sit spin with more than 3 revolutions
First time landing half lutz, almost landing full lutzes!

becca
06-25-2003, 11:23 PM
First time skating my new program clean. I finished a little behind the music but all of the elements were completed (only my 2nd runthrough with doubles)

Mrs Redboots
06-26-2003, 01:50 PM
I've just won my first medal (bronze) in this country, other than those medals won by default!

Moto Guzzi
06-26-2003, 02:35 PM
Congratulations, Annabel! Good for you. :D