View Full Version : Love it!

Hester Prynn
05-01-2003, 07:32 PM
This is a nice addition to the board!!!

*hp*

Elsy2
05-02-2003, 06:19 PM
As a parent of a skater I feel I have to post something! I hope this area gets some activity and we can have some interesting discussions.

My daughter has skated about 5 years, has passed Intermediate FS and Novice moves. She's going to test Junior moves this month if they are ready.

It's been a most amazing journey, and looking back I'm so surprised how fast the time has gone. We made a big committment to skating which is now winding down a bit. I have mixed emotions about it, as sometimes I miss competition, but also feel relieved that we are not always under so much pressure to train. Our emphasis is now going to be testing, and hopefully just having a good time at a slower pace.

Somehow I think we won't get too much interaction here from coaches....but you never know!

Clarice
05-02-2003, 08:12 PM
Hi! I'll add to this "skating parent introduction" thread. My daughter is 13, and has been skating since she was 5. She's passed Intermediate FS and Junior Moves, and we're debating about whether she should try her Senior Moves next month. I'm an adult skater, too, and so far we're both still having fun! I have 2 sons, both older than her, who don't skate. I think one of the real challenges is balancing all the time and money spent on the skater with the needs of the other kids.

tazsk8s
05-02-2003, 09:12 PM
I am also a "skate parent who skates". I am Adult Bronze and my daughter is Pre-Juvenile. Right now she is fighting to get her jumps back after we were on vacation for two weeks - we took NO skates along.

I am looking forward to talking to other skate parents, and hopefully some coaches, too!

nycbumpkin
05-03-2003, 12:27 AM
since you're starting this new parent thread, i'll reluctantly join in...reluctant only because my skater doesn't want me to "talk about her"... :) she is at that age (11 almost 12). ...although i have posted about her before and received some very helpful comments...i am not a skater, at all...my daughter hasn't been skating very long (subject of previous post)...has passed Int FS and is hoping to take Jr Moves very soon...hello to all of you

BABYSKATES
05-03-2003, 03:42 AM
I'm the mother of a 9 year old "ball of fire" (as one of her coaches calls her) who would rather skate than breathe. She's been skating for 5 1/5 years. Right now my little one is determined to get her double axel to compete by regionals. She is soooo close! But you know how that is... She is going to compete as a juvenile this year. I'm looking forward to seeing how the season unfolds. I'm glad this topic exists. I think it will be nice to post here!

Incedentally, I promised my daughter that I would take adult skating classes when she got her double axel so I'm in no hurry for her to get it...

Elsy2
05-03-2003, 08:10 AM
Babyskater's Mom - I'm going to be rooting for "baby" to get that 2/axel so I can hear about your lessons! Better start thinking now about being fitted for some skates yourself :P

Nycbumkin - I'm amazed that an eleven/twelve year old would have the skating maturity to pass those high moves. She must be awesome!

Same for Clarice - a 13 year old passing senor moves is pretty 8-)

Tazsk8s - I'm also a bronze level skater...but not very competitive anymore. I'm sure daughter will get those jumps secure again in no time. Our coach always hates it when we vacation, especially if it's close to any competion. We always have to plan trips with that in mind!

IceDanceSk8er
05-03-2003, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by BABYSKATES
Incedentally, I promised my daughter that I would take adult skating classes when she got her double axel so I'm in no hurry for her to get it...

I think it would be a great experience if all parents of skaters took lessons. It gives you a better understanding of the technical aspects of the sport, as well an appreciation for the effort that a young skater makes on the ice to learn a jump, spin, etc.

Figureskates
05-03-2003, 10:58 AM
A slight variation of the theme.

We do not have kids, however, I have an 11 year old niece I got hooked on figure skating two years ago. She is a ball of fire and picks up things really, really quick.

She thinks it is great stuff to go skate with her uncle (me). She started having lessons with my coach earlier this year and my coach is amazed at how focus this kid is. She has an hour lesson on a Saturday evening and at the end of the lesson my coach sez she is tired.

She just passed her preliminary moves and is working on pre-juvs. She has all her single jumpd. Her uncle has passed his pre-pres and has a decent waltz jump and is working on salchow and half flip.

Eventhough she can skate circles around me, we both have fun at skating sessions.

Hester Prynn
05-03-2003, 03:21 PM
Well, I'll jump in from the coaching and skater aspect of it. I'm coaching off and on currently and will be pretty much full time by the summer. Slowly, (well more quickly) I've been phasing out my own skating. One things' for sure, it's very different being on the other side of the fence. It's one thing to be a skater, it's a completely different thing to be a coach. So far, I love to work with the tots and younger kids. I don't think I'm ready for teenagers yet!! 8O Yes, I remember how I was... it's scary. Anyways, glad to see a place where parents and coaches can come together. At this point in time, I plan to stay on the coaching side only :lol: I scare myself at the thought of being a mom. You guys make it look easy... So keep up the good work!

And I agree with whomever stated that parents should try skating lessons, maybe then they'll have a better understand of how the various processes work in this sport and how things are achieved.

Toodles!!
*hester*

Bogie88
05-04-2003, 12:39 AM
I am so glad to have this forum here--seems like participant skating is dominated by adult skaters, and while I find them interesting and informative, it is great to have an area to go to where I can learn and improve on my recently adopted role as "skate mom"!

Any boy skater parents out there? My son started skating a little over a year ago, and is now 11 and just passed pre-Juv FS. Just had his first comp today at that level and won--woo hoo! It is so hard to find other boys to skate against--he has had to skate for a critique the first comp he entered this season, and we had to cancel out of another for lack of entries--maybe it is just his Region. I hope it will get better as the season progresses.

Anyway, great to be here and see the posts starting to add up. The topics I have questions about are piling up in my head as I write this, but I'll give them some time. This mom won't be taking up skating anytime soon, however--if I go out of commission, I don't have a backup to take my son to the rink!

Bogie

Candleonwater
05-04-2003, 08:18 PM
I'll join in here. I have a 6 year old skater (she's been skating for 3 years). Very high strung. She participated in a clinic with Brian Orser this weekend - and was in tears when she wasn't able to do a split jump - never mind that she's never tried one before. Fortunately he handled her WONDERFULLY!