View Full Version : skate suggestions...

figure_skater
08-21-2005, 03:52 PM
I’m gonna get new skates soon so I was hoping someone could give me some advice on what to choose and if they have had any experience on any of these. I currently have a Riedell Gold Medallion (292 discontinued) w/club 2000 blades. I’m working on my lutz and loop, about to start axel, and camel, change-sit, and back spins. I’m 14 and 5’7 and 130lbs.

Boots- I was thinking either the -Riedell Silver Star (355)
-Or- Riedell Gold Star (375)

Blades- MK- professional (fs 3-6)
John Wilson- four aces (fs 4-6)
John Wilson- coronation ace (fs 4-5)
MK- vision (fs 5-9)

mikawendy
08-21-2005, 04:02 PM
There have been a bunch of boot and blade threads recently, so you might want to look through old threads in this forum or do a search for the boot/blade models you're thinking of.

(I'm too lazy to find those old threads myself. ;) )

stardust skies
08-21-2005, 06:14 PM
I’m gonna get new skates soon so I was hoping someone could give me some advice on what to choose and if they have had any experience on any of these. I currently have a Riedell Gold Medallion (292 discontinued) w/club 2000 blades. I’m working on my lutz and loop, about to start axel, and camel, change-sit, and back spins. I’m 14 and 5’7 and 130lbs.

Boots- I was thinking either the -Riedell Silver Star (355)
-Or- Riedell Gold Star (375)

Blades- MK- professional (fs 3-6)
John Wilson- four aces (fs 4-6)
John Wilson- coronation ace (fs 4-5)
MK- vision (fs 5-9)

I'd recommend Riedell Silver Stars with MK Professional blades because that's what I had at your level, and it worked out for me. Coronation Ace is another option, it is pretty much the same level blade as MK Pros. I think you should try Gold Star boots AND Silver stars though....if the Silvers are too soft, go with Gold, because of your height. You might break your boots in quicker than other people of a similar weight would. I'm not sure. It's always worth trying two different kinds, anyway. I know nothing about the Visions or Four Aces- I've never met anyone who's skated on them. People pretty much go from Club 2000's to MK pro's or JW Coronation Ace to Phantoms or Pattern 99's, to Gold Seals or Gold Stars. That's my experience anyways.

flippet
08-21-2005, 07:51 PM
Silver Stars sound great--I might go with Gold Stars if you're hard on your boots. The MK Pros are a good blade, I liked mine (had mine on my Silver Stars). But--I like my Visions even more, because they have a smaller rocker, and I needed that extra boost on spins. It just depends on your particular preferences.

skaternum
08-22-2005, 01:31 PM
How about if we have a sticky for an FAQ or links to all the numerous "what boot/blade should I buy" threads?

sophisastar
08-22-2005, 02:21 PM
Hi I think you should look at Graff boots becouse they are so comfortable, the Graff Richmonds are very good, light boots. It's the only make that doesn't hurt my feet but I suppose that depends on the skater.
Bladewise I'de advise wilson's coronation ace they are very robust blades that you can keep the next time you change skates so you only have to bye the boot.I don't really know about MK blades sorry.
Good luck!!!!
Soph

stardust skies
08-22-2005, 08:39 PM
Hi I think you should look at Graff boots becouse they are so comfortable, the Graff Richmonds are very good, light boots. It's the only make that doesn't hurt my feet but I suppose that depends on the skater.
Bladewise I'de advise wilson's coronation ace they are very robust blades that you can keep the next time you change skates so you only have to bye the boot.I don't really know about MK blades sorry.
Good luck!!!!
Soph

Totally disagree with this. The skater is 5'7 and going to start doubles soon...she'll break down a Graf boot, especially anything lower than Edmonton Specials, in a month. A boot should last you one season if you're doing doubles and triples and skating 15+ hours a week. Anything less, the boots will last you a year and a half, to two years. That's a GOOD boot. Grafs wouldn't last her six months. There's a reason Grafs are *so* comfortable right away, and there's a reason why despite this great asset, few people use them in comparison to other companies.

TimDavidSkate
08-22-2005, 09:23 PM
I know these are different than your choices; SP Terri - will last you more than a year or two, Gold Seal Blades- helps you be on your edges than your flats and/or toe picks

stardust skies
08-23-2005, 12:42 AM
Haha, I keep disagreeing!! Obviously it's a personal choice though so what any of us think is nothing more than advice. I think that if you like the Riedells, it'd be pointless to switch to a different brand. And if you were to buy SP Teris in the model that is the CORRECT stiffness for you, there's no way they'll last you more than two years. They're not supposed to. No boot should last you that long- unless you only skate once a week or something, and if that's the case, ANY boot will last you that long. SP Teri boots in an appropriate strength model would be fine- I just don't see the point in taking chances if someone already found a brand they liked. I personally loathe SP Teris, but there's many people who love them. I just think...if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

The most important thing I have to disagree with though, is that I think going from a Club 2000 blade to a Gold Seal is not only a mistake, it's ridiculous. Someone starting an axel "soon" shouldn't be on Gold Seals. What'll help edges is good technique, and practice- not a top of the line blade for a relative beginner. :frus: My constant source of frustration.

luna_skater
08-23-2005, 12:57 AM
Totally disagree with this. The skater is 5'7 and going to start doubles soon...she'll break down a Graf boot, especially anything lower than Edmonton Specials, in a month. A boot should last you one season if you're doing doubles and triples and skating 15+ hours a week. Anything less, the boots will last you a year and a half, to two years. That's a GOOD boot. Grafs wouldn't last her six months. There's a reason Grafs are *so* comfortable right away, and there's a reason why despite this great asset, few people use them in comparison to other companies.

The high level skaters I know who wear the Edmontons do get a season out of them.