View Full Version : Technique Questions #2

sk8ing is lyfe
04-28-2003, 09:13 PM
Just thought I'd make a new one. Please use this thread to ask skaters of various levels questions on technique.

ENJOY!

sk8ing is lyfe
05-02-2003, 09:53 PM
moving up.... Why aren't people using this???

dooobedooo
05-02-2003, 10:50 PM
Any tips for getting more height into jumps?

Thanks.

singerskates
05-02-2003, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by dooobedooo
Any tips for getting more height into jumps?

Thanks.

the more you bend you knees before you take off, the higher you will go. What did you coach say? "BEND YOUR NEEDS" Like we don't know. But doing and knowing are two different things. LOL

love2sk8
05-02-2003, 11:02 PM
lol...remember that when you jump into the air, not to counteract your flow upwards with bad timing...everything is in the timing! and don't be stiff!!

3 flips anyone?

dbny
05-03-2003, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by sk8ing is lyfe
moving up.... Why aren't people using this???

It's possible that the topic is just too general. Try posting with a more specific topic line. In the past people have asked for help with particular elements rather than technique in general, and those posts usually get a lot of exercise.

sk8ing is lyfe
05-03-2003, 09:49 PM
Um for jumping high, make sure you do not rush the take off and give the jump time to lift instead of trying to rotate right away. most skaters do not do this. Also, make surte you stay loose and relaxed and do not get tight especially in the knees. if it is a pick jump, make sure you have a nice solid reach and draw back. do not try and jam your pick into the ice (it hurts! and makes you lose speed) draw back nice and square and then "big knee" to lift the jump

I will try and think of how to explain this better...

for flip, what problems are you having???

if you feel off level, try alternate entries, such as a salchow entry or back threeturn mohawk entry....

please keep me updated!

lord farquad ;)
05-03-2003, 10:08 PM
Have any good tips for not flutzing?

sk8ing is lyfe
05-03-2003, 10:33 PM
this is what i have noticed... I cannot try it out because i do not flutz so please consider it... I don't know if it works.

When you do a flip, notice that when you draw back, your skate passes beside your picking skate???
when you do a lutz, it should almost lift off the ice sooner and cross the picking leg. you then have to make sure you still let the jump lift though!!!!

try it , let me know if it works though!

love2sk8
05-03-2003, 10:57 PM
lyfe...on 3flip, its getting into the air in a rotating position fast enough, and staying centered. I tend to lean inside....thx!

becca
05-03-2003, 11:29 PM
I stopped flutzing when I started standing up straighter going into it. I used to learn forward and lift my picking foot too high but as soon as I really stood up straigt....outside edge!

sk8ing is lyfe
05-04-2003, 09:28 PM
becca, im SOOOO glad you fixed it! thats what sarah hughes does

96.23??
05-05-2003, 06:41 PM
Thanks for the help! :)

starskate
05-05-2003, 10:34 PM
Hey guys i could use some help. well i just started skating (ive only been on the ice for bout two months now), and anyway, the coach that i had on sunday (nice but i want my other coach), told me that i need to work on my outside edges. i naturally walk on the inside side of my foot and i was just wondering if there is anything i could do to hit the outside edges better on or off the ice.

thanks for any help

jess

sk8ing is lyfe
05-10-2003, 09:12 PM
hi,

You should work on cross rolls.
Thats when you roll an outside edge and then cross your other foot over and roll onto another outside edge.. they are also good for balance.

Another thing you could do is go to a line, and try and do outside edges along the line, with the line as a center...

Hope this helps

ddpskater
05-12-2003, 04:52 PM
If you always walk on the inside edge, you may need arch support in both your skates and your shoes. A good shoe, or skate fitter could say.

blondeangl
05-12-2003, 05:11 PM
i need help on my loop jump ... for some reason when i jump and rotate my right leg "pops up" lol ... its hard to explain but very annoying ... any suggestions on how to stop doing that?

sk8ing is lyfe
05-12-2003, 08:26 PM
thats very odd... I have never heard of that before.
Maybe you should think of stretching up through your head to the ceiling. That could work... Keep us updated!!!