View Full Version : Lean, Mean, Skating Machine? NOT!!!

garyc254
04-28-2003, 10:36 AM
Went to the doctor for a checkup last week. I've put on 5 lbs in the last 4 months. NOT GOOD!!!! Okay, at 6'-1" tall and 190 lbs I'm not exactly huge, however the extra pounds have accumulated around my waist.

It's time to get in shape. Back on the 1600 calorie a day diet. Start stretching. Back to working out on the weight bench regularly. Start walking on alternate days again.

The only problem is I'm not feeling motivated. While at work I convince myself that I'm going to do all of this. After work, I'm worn out and lose all of that motivation. Naps are so much less stressful.

Wish me luck!! I'm going to need it.

Mrs Redboots
04-28-2003, 11:32 AM
Lots of vegetables! I bought a waistcoat (vest?) in the USA in October 2001 that was a little tight, but I loved it and bought it anyway. By that Christmas, it fitted. Then a few weeks ago I discovered, to my horror, that it no longer did. Since then, I've been drinking lots of vegetable soup - if you steam the cabbage, it's not windy. Quick recipe (that works for me): 1 onion, a couple of leeks, 1/2 cabbage, maybe some other green veg like broccoli. Chop everything, boil onion (and garlic, if you like garlic) and leeks in about 1 litre of water to which you have added some vegetable stock, and steam the cabbage and other veg above it. After 15 minutes, put everything through blender, adding more water if necessary, season to taste, bring back to boil and enjoy. I drink this and therefore eat a bit less! And it's lovely as a main course if you add a bit of cooked brown rice, or pasta, or something, and maybe poach an egg in it for protein.....

Then add lots of plain vegetables to your main meal - either salads, or plain cabbage/cauliflower/broccoli/zucchini/tomatoes, whatever. Again, fill up on them, and cut out as much fat and sugar as possible, and go slightly easier on starchy carbohydrates, too. Oh, and watch your booze intake - that can have lots of hidden calories, alas....

Anyway, someone today who I hadn't seen for a year or so commented that I'd lost lots of weight! I wish.... there's still too much to lose (but at our age, Gary, we can either have a face or a figure - and I know which I'd prefer!).

dbny
04-28-2003, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by garyc254

The only problem is I'm not feeling motivated. While at work I convince myself that I'm going to do all of this. After work, I'm worn out and lose all of that motivation.

That's been my problem for the last six months! I just want to lose another 10 pounds and find myself fighting not to gain instead. Right after Passover, I decided to give the Atkins diet a try for just two months, then back to the well balanced Weight Watchers 1.2.3. I don't know if I'm going to make it to the two month mark, because I'm already horribly bored with eggs, cheese, and meat. The once a day salad is not enough for me and I miss bread horribly, not to mention the occasional sweet.

Annabel, I make a similar soup that I call "Zero point soup". I don't bother to steam the cabbage, but toss it in the pot (cauldron?) first. I also use a huge amount of mushrooms and onions for flavor and add tomato paste or crushed tomatos. It's different every time I make it, but my favorite variation included zuccini squash. I couldn't have lost my initial 45 pounds without it, but it's harder to enjoy in the warm weather.

tazsk8s
04-28-2003, 12:32 PM
I totally sympathize with all those trying to lose weight. I'm right there with you all. After watching my weight creep up for a couple of years, I finally bit the bullet and joined Weight Watchers Online on Jan 2nd, with a goal of losing 33 lbs. Lost 15 lbs between January 2nd and AN, but then went on vacation for the past 10 days, threw WW right out the window, and gained 4 lbs back. Would have been even worse had I not lost what I did previously.

So I'm typing this on my lunch hour while waiting for my 5 point frozen meal to finish nuking...back to tracking points...bummer...

jazzpants
04-28-2003, 12:57 PM
Gary, I hear 'ya!!! I've gained about 20lb (and for someone 5'3" that's a lot!!!) during the 1.5 year time I was working like a dog at my last job. Lost about half of those so far. Now trying to lose the other half...

My diet went out the window this week b/c I was sick! Didn't do much exercises at all. Well, I shouldn't say it went out the window. I didn't eat much... not b/c I wasn't hungry, but b/c I was sleeping most of the time! :P I am feeling MUCH better this morning, but I'm not gonna push my luck! I'll wait 'til Tuesday afternoon to get back on the ice!!! :P

Mrs Redboots
04-29-2003, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by dbny
Annabel, I make a similar soup that I call "Zero point soup". I don't bother to steam the cabbage, but toss it in the pot (cauldron?) first. I also use a huge amount of mushrooms and onions for flavor and add tomato paste or crushed tomatos. It's different every time I make it, but my favorite variation included zuccini squash. I couldn't have lost my initial 45 pounds without it, but it's harder to enjoy in the warm weather. I know - I must admit I based my soup recipe on yours! I do steam the cabbage, simply because I find I get terrible wind if I don't, and steaming it doesn't seem to have that effect! I also like it with zucchini in it - I usually cut one into chunks, steam it, too (since I have the steamer out), and often don't incorporate them into the blended soup, but add them as a bit of "chunkiness" at the end. Our supermarket did a lovely vegetable platter of chunks of that, broccoli florets and some mange-tout peas (peapods), and they were lovely without needing to be blended, except that the broccoli disintegrated in the end. I added a chopped green chili to that soup, too, yummy.

Mind you, one soup I made, one week, was the exact colour and texture of what cows leave behind after they've been on spring grass. It tasted great, though, but the appearance was off-putting, to say the least.....:??

Meanwhile, Jazzpants, when you are ill is not the time to think about weight-loss; focus on what your body needs to eat and to help it recover.

flo
04-29-2003, 09:18 AM
Thanks for the soup ideas!

dbny
04-29-2003, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by Mrs Redboots
Mind you, one soup I made, one week, was the exact colour and texture of what cows leave behind after they've been on spring grass. It tasted great, though, but the appearance was off-putting, to say the least.....:??

:lol: One variation that I made for quite a while was to use red cabbage, and it give the soup a lovely color. I did try blending also, but we seem to prefer the chunkier version. Forgot, I also add a generous amout of garlic!

Alexeiskate
04-29-2003, 11:44 AM

The only problem is I'm not feeling motivated. While at work I convince myself that I'm going to do all of this. After work, I'm worn out and lose all of that motivation. Naps are so much less stressful.

Wish me luck!! I'm going to need it.

I highly recommend working out in the morning before going to work, unless you work the grave yard shift. I never want to work out after work. It's hard getting up in the morning but once I'm done with my exercising I feel much better. Also when I work out in the morning, I have an excuse for looking messy and a non-fashion plate that I am ;)

I also wouldn't worry so much everyday about sticking to an exact 1600 calories per day. If you think about it too much you will soon get sick of it and drop the plan. You can eat the same amount you normally do but substitute stuffs or cut stuffs out all together, e.g. drinking skim milk, cut out all butter and oil in your cooking...

Madame Saccoche
04-29-2003, 12:03 PM
Madam suggests a daily glance at one's naked self in a full length mirror, keep this image in mind while being temped by all those lovely donuts your colleague has brought into work that day:oops: :lol:

Canskater
04-29-2003, 12:04 PM
I'm happy (sort of) to know that I am in such esteemed company!!!

Since I stopped skating in January (old drafty arena is way to cold), I've gained 22 lbs. Though I am tall for a female (5ft 8), I am essentially an apple ... so I put it around the middle.

Spring skating starts this weekend. In great anticipation, I tried on a nice spandex practice dress last weekend ...... oh how horrifying it was to have seen what little I ever had for a waist to have vanished !!!!!

So, I'm back to rabbit food .........

-- sheilagh

dbny
04-29-2003, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by Madame Saccoche
Madam suggests a daily glance at one's naked self in a full length mirror, keep this image in mind while being temped by all those lovely donuts your colleague has brought into work that day:oops: :lol:

Methinks Madam is really too :twisted:

Gaela
04-29-2003, 04:37 PM
I've been trying to losing just five pounds for over a year, with no success. I weight train and do cardio, and have really muscled up in a year, but no weight loss at all. Must be my fondness for beer.

I've been flirting with the idea of Atkins, since I crave protein so intensely since I started working out. Used to be a vegetarian, and now I'm eating steak!! However, the bottom line is that a diet has to be a way of life. No point is losing a quick five pounds only to gain it again. My current plan is to increase the salads what with summer coming up, and base my diet on on protein and veggies, but not seriously count carbs--I find that I need some carbs before exercise, protein after.

As my Chinese doctors say, balance in the key.

Anyone notice that the potato has been getting a bad rap lately? Popular opinion has shifted back to the protein is good, starch is bad variety--it was that way when I was young, then it switched to carbs were good and protein bad, now it's changed again.

I plead the defense of the humble potato, however.

:)

skateflo
04-29-2003, 04:45 PM
Oh, I am so glad to hear I am not alone! Gary and others, you have company!

For those of us in the northeast, multi feet of snow compounded by unusually long periods of sub zero cold, add to that the stress of the impending Iraq situation and the first few weeks, stress, stress, stress (including the morale at my work place) and the pounds came on. Everyone around here has been depressed, short-tempered, irritable. It has been shown that stress alone will cause you to gain weight particularly around the middle (gasp, I can grasp over an inch of fat on my tummy...)

So what happens when the weather finally breaks? The weekend warrior syndrome began (during the week too) and new energy caused overdoing it both skating and household/yard chores. My back finally gave out last wednesday and I lost 3 days of work....thank goodness for my chiropractor!! The Advil was taking a toll on my stomach. But now I have to miss 2 weeks of skating!! Beware everyone!

So it is walking and stretching for now, and then gradually I MUST start working on core strength to support my aging spine! And knock off the weight. I have kept a chart of my measurements for years - yuk, after December 1st, the lines just kept going upward (from the waist downward....) And yes, I do the natural peek in the mirror - my thunder thighs have returned (boo hoo...)

Thank you all for sharing!

skaternum
04-29-2003, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by Alexeiskate
I also wouldn't worry so much everyday about sticking to an exact 1600 calories per day. If you think about it too much you will soon get sick of it and drop the plan.

Maybe. Maybe not. Sometimes when starting a reduced caloric intake regimen, it is very helpful to count every calorie. Many people aren't fully aware of how many calories they consume, or what portion control is all about. Obviously, going 50 over or under isn't going to wreck the diet, but some personality types need the "strictness" of it for a while until they get portion control under control.

Azlynn
04-29-2003, 06:01 PM
I'd like to join the company. :)

I'm currently at my 'winter weight' - up a number that I don't even want to confess since last year. I'm wanting to get back into better shape before skating starts up in September, but am lacking the will, interest, or enthusiasm. I've been stepping up my exercise though, and hopefully with that will come a reduction in the eating...

I find that with an improvement in weather, things are much better. Sunshine makes for nicer walks/runs/hikes, and for working out in the garden rather than snacking. I'll just have to take the next rainy day to excavate the weight training equipment down in the basement!

jazzpants
04-29-2003, 08:14 PM
Methinks Madam is really too :twisted: Besides...since when does THAT stop me from grabbing the occasional donut??? :lol: :P

As they say about everything ingested... moderation is the key.

Mrs. Redboots: Believe me, I'm do eat when I feel like it!!! :P I still have a hearty appetite even though I'm sick. ;) (The only difference now is that I'm having more soups... brothy ones, of course.) ;) It's just when you're feeling to the point where when you do go get something to eat and your body tells you the only thing it wants to do is sleep...you sleep!!! There is no debating your body about it!!! :lol: At least now I could go out and not feel like I'm gonna crash!!! And as hubby says, "the color is coming back to my face!" :D

ObSkating: Didn't go today. Was planning to go today, but still not well enough to go. I hope I'll survive my lesson on Thursday! :)

sk8er1964
04-29-2003, 08:34 PM
In February of 2002 I weighed over 200 pounds. I've lost about 45 or so, plus added a lot of muscle weight from skating. Now I am stuck at this weight :twisted: . I need another 25 pounds at least to come off - then I'll be a lean, mean skating machine!!!

I've never dieted. My big problem is carbs - pasta, potatoes, bread, chocolate, beer - if it has a carb in it I'll eat it!!! Looks like I may have to change my habits if I am to do those doubles....

1lutz2klutz
04-29-2003, 08:42 PM
Sign me up for the "omigosh when did I lose control" club! What I can't figure out is how I can't lose the extra tonnage when I skate for 3-4 hours per week, do Pilates once a week, cardio twice a week and a weight training class twice a week. I'm making an appointment with the nutritionist at my club (conveniently attached to my place of employ) to find out if I'm really eating what I should be. Don't ever eat much at any one time, but I will admit to an unfortunate Jelly Belly jelly bean habit that I acquired last year when I gave up chocolate for Lent. My soul was purified, but my waistline was punished!

jazzpants
04-30-2003, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by sk8er1964
I've never dieted. My big problem is carbs - pasta, potatoes, bread, chocolate, beer - if it has a carb in it I'll eat it!!! Looks like I may have to change my habits if I am to do those doubles....

Oh, dear! That's definitely my downfall!!! CARBS, CARBS and more CARBS!!! :( (Well, not the last three ingredients... but I LOVE pasta and potatoes!!!)

But so far, the ol' "watch your portion" diet for me seems to work well. No guilt... and as long as I listen to my body say "FULL!!!" and I put in my 4 days a week of cardio (45 min on the elliptical trainer), I'm fine. :P

garyc254
04-30-2003, 11:05 AM
Intake and output for Tuesday.

2 mini bagels 140 calories
1 Ramen noodles 380 calories
1 pear 120 calories
1 Big Mac 590 calories
-------------
total 1230 calories

No snacks. Only diet soda, water, and black coffee.

Skated for 1-1/2 hours (mild workout)
Weight bench and exercise bands for 20 minutes
50 crunches (front & back)
Mild stretching

If I could only do this every day!!! ;)

Plus, I'm starving!!!! :lol: :lol:

Mrs Redboots
04-30-2003, 11:40 AM

1 pear 120 calories
1 Big Mac 590 calories
-------------
total 1230 calories

I should think you are hungry - there's practically nothing nutritious in that lot at all! Plus you have only had 2/3 the amount of food a healthy male adult needs to stay alive (never mind exercise). The only decent food item is the pear! You should have masses more fruit and vegetables. Cut Big Macs to once a week, if not once a month, if not out altogether (but don't deprive yourself too much), add loads of fruit and vegetables, and sensible protein - lean meat, white fish, the occasional egg, lentils, cheese, nuts and seeds. Not too many of the last three, as they are high-ish in fat and therefore high calorie, but as they are good for you, don't omit them altogether. If you can digest oily fish (I can't), have it once a week. Ramen noodles ought to be nice, but I found I bloated up like anything on them - some of them are very high in fat, and they all have the sort of additives that are really best avoided. Buy plain noodles and simmer them in the sort of soup DBNY and I have been talking about.

Try to eat wholewheat bread, pasta and rice (I mean brown rice, not wholewheat!), you get more bang for your buck with them. Wholewheat pasta is pretty disgusting, though! For breakfast, try to choose a cereal that is high in fibre and low in sugar and salt. Avoid, as far as possible, butter and cream and sweet things except for fruit. You have to work out an eating plan you enjoy and can stick with, and allow for the occasional ice-cream, doughnut, slice of cheesecake (wrong thread???), Big Mac, etc, but do make them occasional treats.

One thing that works for some people is to keep an eye on what they eat and drink during the week, then allow themselves to have whatever they like at weekends.

garyc254
04-30-2003, 11:55 AM
I should think you are hungry - there's practically nothing nutritious in that lot at all!......The only decent food item is the pear! ..... Cut Big Macs to once a week, if not once a month, if not out altogether

:lol: :lol: :lol: WHAT!?!?! No Big Macs!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fast food out of necessity and poor planning. Leave work, grab a fast food sandwich and diet Coke, and rush to the rink. That happens at least 2 or 3 days a week.

I am supplementing with pills. Calcium, B Complex, Multiple vitamin, L-Lysine, Potassium, etc.

Alexeiskate
04-30-2003, 11:57 AM

1 pear 120 calories
1 Big Mac 590 calories
-------------
total 1230 calories

Your total calories might look low but what percentage of those calories are coming from fat and how much calories are you actually burning with your excercises?

Sorry to scare you Gary, but the ramen noodles are fried in hydrogenated (bad) oil. Only half a package is like 8 grams of fat, and no one ever eat only half a ramen noodle. I'm also pretty sure the Big Mac had an exceedingly high fat gram content and over half of the ~590 calories are coming from the fat. You would have done better if you had eaten Japanese noodle, which has like 1 gram of fat per serving, and a veggie burger.

Mrs Redboots
04-30-2003, 12:02 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: WHAT!?!?! No Big Macs!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fast food out of necessity and poor planning. Leave work, grab a fast food sandwich and diet Coke, and rush to the rink. That happens at least 2 or 3 days a week.

I am supplementing with pills. Calcium, B Complex, Multiple vitamin, L-Lysine, Potassium, etc. Well, get an ordinary sandwich instead, not a hamburger - I don't know about in the USA, but here in Britain every supermarket sells ready-made sandwiches, often calorie-counted, and big bowls of salad that do you nicely for lunch. The trouble with Big Macs is that they are so very high in fat, the bread is white, and there is no real meat in them.

I seem to remember that when we visited the USA there was a fast-food chain that specialised in salads and pasta, which was rather good.

Canskater
04-30-2003, 12:32 PM
Actually, I just checked in my desk drawer and found a package of Ramen Noodles .... there are 18 grams of fat in there !!!!! And, those things are not exactly filling or satisfying. One would be better off with a big bowl of pasta with tomato sauce.

-- sheilagh

Alexa
04-30-2003, 12:55 PM
GaryC254...I have to stick up for you here for a few reasons :-) 1) though I agree that Big Macs are not the lowest in calories and fat, I don't think it is a bad thing to have them fairly regularly as long as you are taking in consideration the calories you have eaten and eat less later. Reason being because I am a strong believer in eating what you are truly hungry for and working it into your diet so that you have eating habits you can live with. And also because a big mac does really fill most people up, and you tend not to be very hungry later. Also it is a good source of protein and iron.

2) As for the usual eating healthy advice....whole grains, fruits, veggies, nuts, chicken...etc. I agree those are wonderfully healthy foods, but frankly some people just don't like to eat some of them. For example, I do not like most whole grains...I have tried to like it, and am simply a white bread person. I do get the occasional whole grain when I force myself to have them, but I will NEVER make it a major part of my diet even though it is good for me. As for fruits and veggies, I like some of both, but it is not always convenient for me, so sometimes I have very few veggies. I also am not much of a salad person, so I have to get my veggies in the form of canned veggies at dinner and carrots/tomatoes occasionally. I have learned my limitations, and do my best, but know that I will never be the type to eat fruits and veggies all day long. I also do not like to eat grilled chicken much...it is okay every now and then, but it would never be something I crave.

3) As for sticking with a certain number of calories--I think that is a terrific way to track your eating. It keeps you within a certain limit, and it allows you to choose your calories the way you want them. I don't think anyone denies that eating big macs and ramen noodles are not the best choices in terms of health, but it is about eating what you are hungry for and what you want. Maybe the next days calories will go a different direction and be more healthier, but I never beat myself up for having food I enjoy as long as I account for what I had.

4) To sum up, I just don't see foods as forbidden. For example, the cheesecake thread on the non skating discussion, I get the impression that people love it but feel guilty about eating it. And you just shouldn't feel guilty about it as long as you do not have it everyday. Or if that is your one vice, and you want that everyday, then fine...have a piece each day and eat healthier items the rest of the day.

Sorry for the rant, I just can't feel so restricted to certain foods. Now, that doesn't mean that I don't try to eat healthy items fairly regularly, and that I don't take care of myself. I exercise regularly, and have lost weight being relaxed about what I ate, so this is just my opinion :-)

sk8pics
04-30-2003, 01:31 PM

1 pear 120 calories
1 Big Mac 590 calories
-------------
total 1230 calories

Skated for 1-1/2 hours (mild workout)
Weight bench and exercise bands for 20 minutes
50 crunches (front & back)
Mild stretching

If I could only do this every day!!! ;)

Plus, I'm starving!!!! :lol: :lol:

Ack! Gary, please eat a little more, and if you feel like it, try some of the things people have suggested. But you wrote earlier you are at 190 lbs., and 1230 calories is way too few for you to be able to have energy and feel good. If you ate 1700-1800 calories a day, with your activity level, you would surely lose weight in a safe manner.

I think we all have to find what works for us. For me, it's tracking what I eat since otherwise I tend to lose track and will snack in the evening. I too have little time to eat between work and skating, but I have to eat something or I will pass out on the ice. So I will generally have one of those lean pockets (290 calories or so) and some low fat or nonfat yogurt or a banana on my way to the rink. That keeps me from starving, but also doesn't make me so full that i can't skate.

I also have a nutrition program on my Palm that I use not only for calories but also to see how much fat, protein, etc., I'm getting. It's really helpful because it has an extensive library of nutritional data programmed in, and I can also add new foods.

Good luck to everyone in their efforts at healthy eating! Maybe there should be a weekly nutrition/exercise thread.

Pat

Azlynn
04-30-2003, 01:37 PM
For Ramen and Mr. Noodle lovers, I highly recommend UdonPride Instant Noodles instead. They're more costly, but still only around $1-$2 a packet. And make a very large, very tasty bowl. I've had the Miso with Tofu and Creamy Chicken flavours, and both were excellent. They have a separate packet of veggies, and the Miso one had tofu chunks, and very yummy pieces of veggies.

Their nutritional info... one packet: 275 calories, 10g protein, 0g fat (yes, zero!), 55g carbs, 2.5g sugars, 2.5g fiber. A HUGE improvement on regular noodles. Nice big tasty noodles, without the fat. Definitely fit the craving need without going too crazy. Plus, they're organic, and no MSG.

jazzpants
05-01-2003, 12:17 AM
[Putting on my health and exercise hat on...]

Okay... I'll take the worse offender first:

BIG MAC: If you have to go with McD's, go for the GRILLED chicken sandwiches and ask them to take out the mayo. (Put ketchup instead!) (McChicken is a no-no b/c it's FRIED with batter!!!) If you MUST have BEEF, go for either burger with no cheese or mayo like special sauce. One pack of ketchup is OK!!! (Go for the Big and Tasty, but hold the sauce and put ketchup in it. (No cheese in the burger!) And I'll assume the Big Mac is with no fries. If you have to have a snack with the burger, go for the $1 Meal side salads and watch the dressing you put in. (Vinigarette is best!) Personally for me, I'm not a salad person, so I usually skip those myself. I opt for tomath veggie broth soups instead.

If the Big Mac is for dinner....ummm... there are TONS of stuff healthier than Big Mac

2 mini bagel is all carbs!!! No balanced meal!!! I recommend keeping a small bowl, spoon milk, and a box of Mueslix (granola type cereal) or Total. (I like the Safeway brand... Kellogg's isn't as good.) Add some fruit into it. Some people like oatmeal w/fruit and that's a nice alternate. If you want to have the occasional fast food indulgence for breakfast, go for the Egg McMuffin only. (I know I'm gonna get flamed here, but please read the nutritional value off the McD's website before you say anything!!!) No hash browns!!! Go for fresh fruit instead!!! No Sausage or ham... WAAAY too much sodium!!! If you have extra time, you could quickly scramble TWO (no more than that!!!) eggs and throw in LOTS of veggies and a bit of cheese (i.e. not drowning in cheese!!!) In Calif. the tofu scrambles are actually a nice alternate to eggs too. Or ... do a egg white scramble.

If the ramen is for lunch, I'd rather you go and get a tuna salad sandwich and light mayo (but lots of lettuce and tomato...) or better, a turkey sandwich, light cheese, load up on the veggies. (See a theme here?) You can even get a cup of broth base (not cream based) soup too!!! I'll bet that combined will be close to the calories of the ramen... not to mention that it WILL fill you up!!! :D Or a small bowl of pasta with marinara sauce??? Or if you can afford it, go for the occasional sushi. LOVE sushi!!! :P~~

Okay, now that we got the food substitude stuff.... 1200 is barely enough for a girl MY SIZE!!! (I'm 5' 3") For a guy who's probably way taller than me, I think you can take in 1600-1700 calories a day easier. Starving yourself doesn't work. First off, chances are good you will not be as motivated in the end and you will end up blowing the diet even worse later on down the road. Second, you probably WILL get tired quicker if you try this extreme method of diet. Finally and it's the most important reason is that your body will eventually go into "starvation mode" and your metabolism is going to slow down even further.

Got it so far??? If I were you... I get my butt over to a professional NUTRITIONIST!!! He or she should be able to work with you on building a good diet plan that you can stick with. I recommend this ESPECIALLY since you're mildly diabetic.

[Take off my health and exercise hat...]

roogu
05-01-2003, 12:24 AM
cardio is probably the best way to burn off weight but I think you have to burn off twice the amount calories you put in just to lose 1 pound. I dont know if that's exact but I heard it somewhere, LoL.

garyc254
05-01-2003, 08:56 AM
I ate a little more on Wednesday. As far as cooking at home, that seldom happens. I live with my mother and she cooks terrific meals, but I'm seldom there for them.

Example from yesterday:

Wakeup 6:10 am
Off to work 6:45 am
Arrive work 7:30 am - Eat 2 mini bagels
Lunch Noon - 1 bag Ramen noodles
Nap on cot 12:15 pm (I need to get my feet up - poor circulation)
Back to work 1:00 pm
Afternoon snack 3:00 pm - small sandwich meat & cheese
Leave work 4:45 pm - Go straight to girlfriend's house
Pick up her son at friend's house 6:00 pm
Deliver additional friend to his house 6:45 pm
Return to her house 7:15 pm
Out to eat 7:30 pm - Gyros sandwich and a small Greek salad
Back to my house 8:10 pm
Leave to take my sons and 2 others back to their home's 8:30 pm
Return home 9:35 pm - Catch up on mail, bills, email, etc.
Snack 10:30 pm - BBQ beef rib end
Watch news and History Channel
To bed 11:45 pm - total exhaustion :lol:

tazsk8s
05-01-2003, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by Alexa
Sorry for the rant, I just can't feel so restricted to certain foods. Now, that doesn't mean that I don't try to eat healthy items fairly regularly, and that I don't take care of myself. I exercise regularly, and have lost weight being relaxed about what I ate, so this is just my opinion :-)

Alexa, I completely agree. This is why Weight Watchers works for me. Nothing is "forbidden" as long as you stay within your points values. When I made up my mind that this was GOING to be the year I lost weight I had some friends who were just starting Atkins. Too many of the things I like to eat are not "allowed" on that one. And I only like a few of the things that are allowed, so I'd get bored in a big hurry.

Also, for anyone who is trying to lose weight and has a sweet tooth, look for Silhouette Skinny Cows ice cream sandwiches. These are low fat, 130-140 calories each but they do NOT taste like "diet ice cream". They are well worth my saving WW points for at the end of the day. You know they are good when your kid argues with you over who gets to have the last one!:)

Mrs Redboots
05-01-2003, 09:18 AM
The thing is, all that extra weight didn't go on in five minutes, and it won't come off that way! Sure, we all "crash diet" occasionally in an emergency, but all we lose is water and glycogen, and that goes back on again very quickly. So think tortoise, not hare - even as little as 8 oz a week (is that 1/2 lb in America - I get so confused?) will lose you a stone - sorry, 14 lbs - in six months or so.

For the first time in a very long while I saw myself in a mirror today and didn't think "Ugh!" There's still a long way to go, though, I can still feel the rolls of fat around my ribs when I am sitting down.

Mind you, I think my daughter (who isn't slim, but doesn't need to lose weight) summed it up very nicely on the telephone last night. She said she'd had sausages, baked beans and mashed potato for supper (comfort food, I think, as her partner had just learnt he hadn't got the scholarship he had applied for for next year). So I, feeling virtuous because I'd had vegetable soup AND salad AND strawberries for supper, said, in my most irritatingly maternal tones:
"Very nice, darling, but what sort of green vegetable did you have?"

Pause.

"Chocolate!"

Gaela
05-01-2003, 03:38 PM
Whole wheat pasta IS gross. I usually go for fresh pasta, like spinach tortellini.

JDC1
05-01-2003, 04:25 PM
OOH Gary STOP, STOP now!! Can I suggest Lean Cuisine or a reasonable fascimilie? You can nuke them in the same amount of time of Ramen noodles and they are SO MUCH better for you. Ramen noodles has SO much fat it's like eating a candy bar for dinner. I even recommend a Slim Fast shake over the Ramen noodles.

I lost about 35 pounds, put 5 back on and have kept the rest off for almost 2 years now. :-) I have to excercise and watch portion control like a HAWK. Have another 10 pounds I want to take off and that try and keep it off this time. I'm only 5' 1" so 10 pounds is a huge difference on me.

jazzpants
05-01-2003, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by JDC1
OOH Gary STOP, STOP now!! Can I suggest Lean Cuisine or a reasonable fascimilie? You can nuke them in the same amount of time of Ramen noodles and they are SO MUCH better for you. Ramen noodles has SO much fat it's like eating a candy bar for dinner. I even recommend a Slim Fast shake over the Ramen noodles.

I lost about 35 pounds, put 5 back on and have kept the rest off for almost 2 years now. :-) I have to excercise and watch portion control like a HAWK. Have another 10 pounds I want to take off and that try and keep it off this time. I'm only 5' 1" so 10 pounds is a huge difference on me.

I'll have to vouch for the Lean Cuisines too!!! It's one step better than that Ramen crap!!! BLEECH!!! Too salty!!! :( (Just me, but I would stay away from the Slim Fast crap too!!!) The Healthy Choice ones are okay...kinda bland for me, but I like Lean Cuisine's better. :)

Congrats to you JDC1!!! :D :D :D I'm still working on getting the rest of my weight off. I'll probably have an easier time as I start getting back my strength from recovering from the flu.

wannask8
05-01-2003, 09:44 PM
gary, 1600 cals/day for a guy your size (and I mean height here, too) cannot be healthy, especially with all the healing you've been trying to accomplish lately. A little higher caloric intake may slow your progress in the short run, but as others have said, the faster it comes off, the faster it'll come back on (I've seen this principle in action in live husband experiments!). I'd agree that focus on the fat cals is also a good thing.

Good luck!

-- wannask8, weighing in

Azlynn
05-01-2003, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by Gaela
Whole wheat pasta IS gross. I usually go for fresh pasta, like spinach tortellini.

Brown rice pasta = yummy. You have to be very careful with cooking it and follow the instructions... 14 minutes, then run cold water over it, and then warm it up again... I've had friends unable to tell the difference between it and regular pasta. Very yummy. Of course, brand quality varies, I like Tinkyada.

jazzpants
05-02-2003, 02:00 AM
Originally posted by wannask8
gary, 1600 cals/day for a guy your size (and I mean height here, too) cannot be healthy, especially with all the healing you've been trying to accomplish lately. A little higher caloric intake may slow your progress in the short run, but as others have said, the faster it comes off, the faster it'll come back on (I've seen this principle in action in live husband experiments!). I'd agree that focus on the fat cals is also a good thing.

Good luck!

-- wannask8, weighing in Actually, he was taking in LESS than 1600!!! More like 1230 calories!!! 8O 8O 8O Even *I* take 1600 minimum and I'm quite a bit shorter than he is!!!

Mrs Redboots
05-02-2003, 03:24 AM
I don't think we have brown rice pasta here. I use ordinary pasta, as I agree with whoever said the wholewheat type was "gross". It's edible, I suppose, but that's all that can be said about it.

I actually do prefer wholemeal bread - but these days you can buy (at least here) white bread that is fibre-enriched and is the next best thing to wholemeal, if you dislike that.

As for brown rice vs white - it depends on the recipe. You can't make a decent risotto with brown rice, and neither curry nor kedgeree would be the same. But I use it for some salads - I have some cooking as we speak, for the tomato-and-avocado salad (not very slimming!), the recipe for which I posted on the Patsy's Parlour thread on the non-skating forum. Today I've mixed it with some Carmargue red rice, as I didn't have quite enough brown left. And I serve it with fish if I am doing a tomato-based sauce, but if it's a white sauce, then I use white rice. Oh, and, of course, if I am nearly out of time then it's white rice, as that takes 15 minutes, and brown takes 45!

Figureskates
05-02-2003, 06:03 AM
I haven't had a big Mac in at least 8 years.

Thankfully my wife and I are not fans of fast food.

Thankfully weight is not a problem....can't say the same about the arthritis in my lower back. Some mornings, like right now, it is really stiff and store....and I have ice in 2 hours!!

dooobedooo
05-02-2003, 08:42 AM
I've just had to restart calorie-counting, so this is a subject close to my heart. Once I stop, the pounds always pile on!!!

garyc254
05-02-2003, 09:21 AM
When I first found out I had diabetes, I went on a diet program recommended by the American Diabetes Association (ADA). Between the diet and exercise, I lost over 20 lbs in a couple of months. I actually looked gaunt. I purposely put on a few more pounds since then, but that's gotten slightly out of hand. ;)

For those that are counting calories, I recommend checking out the ADA website. It's a very healthy diet and it's free.

http://www.diabetes.org/main/application/commercewf

skateflo
05-02-2003, 04:45 PM
Hi Gary and all,

This has been a great discussion and it spurred me to get out my sports nutrition books by Nancy Clark, MS, RD. She used to write a column for Tracings Magazine and really targeted skaters. She has counseled many different types of athletes and knows all their (our) quirks. I also made an appointment with her and learned that if you drop your calories too low you go into 'survival' mode and you stop losing weight. I also learned that Mother Nature has her own idea of what she has programmed you to weigh for a healthy body - and that may not be what you think you should weigh, boo hoo (:

So next time you are in a bookstore, check out her books. They really are great plus have lots of recipes and Q&A that many of us have and never asked.... She writes like a real person!!

Have to go now, I want to try one of the recipes......

dbny
05-02-2003, 08:39 PM
Help! I think I'm gaining weight on this Atkins diet 8O Is it possible that I'm just eating way too much meat? I really am sick of it already, and if I thought I could cut down on quantity, I would go back to WW123 tomorrow. Does anyone here have any experience with Atkins?

CanAmSk8ter
05-02-2003, 09:09 PM
I decided a little over two years ago at age 19 that 154 was not a healthy weight for a 5'1" athlete. I dropped to 108 lbs by October 2001, was up to 122, and am back down to 119 as of this morning. I know I've put on muscle, so I'm not worried about getting back down to 108, but I would like to be more like 112.

First of all, I would like to heartily reccommend those SmartOnes Pizzas that Kristi Yamaguchi does the adds for. I don't like most veggies, nor do I like pepperoni, so I only eat the Four Cheese ones. They don't have as much cheese as they do in the ads, so I keep a bag of fat-free shredded mozzerella on hand and put on a little before I nuke the pizza. When it's done, I put on a quick shake of parmesan or romano. The pizza by itself if 400 calories and 7 grams of fat, so I'm guessing that the way I make it it's probably about 500 calories and 10 grams of fat or thereabouts. I have that and a piece of fruit for dinner several nights a week.

Gary, I can totally sympathize with your fast-food plight. My average day consists of rink-school-rink-home-rink. When you have to eat on the go, McDonald's has several good salads, and they have meat in them too, so you're getting protein. I love Caeser salads, and I've taught myself to enjoy them without the dressing. Their fruit and yogurt parfaits are good, too. Burger King also has good salads, and both places have good grilled chicken sandwiches. If you absolutely have to have the burger, a plain hamburger is tons better than a Big Mac.

Better yet: Wendy's (salads, baked potato, junior hamburger), Subway's/Blimpies (pretty much anything without cheese or mayo), even a slice of plain or veggie pizza from most pizza chains is fairly low in fat and you get protein from the cheese.

I agree with those who say you aren't eating enough for a guy your height. My favorite thing for breakfast is similar to what you're eating now- I have a regular-size bagel with a small amount of low-fat peanut butter. The PB gives you protein, and I can't get over how much longer I feel full compared to when I eat a bagel by itself. I often have that with a piece of fruit for lunch instead of breakfast on school days, because I eat right before I leave to skate and I know I need the carbs to get through practice. I usually have wheat bagels because I like them, although every once in awhile I crave a plain one instead. I generally try to eat whole-wheat stuff instead of white as a rule. I'm surprised to hear so many people say whole-wheat pasta is gross. I really like it, and I actually don't think it tastes that different from regular pasta. I like it with just a bit of that butter spray.

This is going to go down in history as my longest post- and I'm sure I'll have more to say on the topic.

garyc254
05-05-2003, 12:27 PM
Help! I think I'm gaining weight on this Atkins diet

One of the guys in my office went on the Atkins diet for about 1-1/2 months. He stuck to it religiously, but didn't lose any weight, was tired and cranky, and finally gave up.

garyc254
05-05-2003, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by JDC1
OOH Gary STOP, STOP now!! Can I suggest Lean Cuisine or a reasonable fascimilie?

Okay!!! I tried a Lean Cuisine for lunch today. Tasted pretty good.

I cheated a little over the weekend, but also did 5 hours of yard work. Hopefully one counterbalanced the other. :lol:

Mrs Redboots
05-05-2003, 03:05 PM
DB - the Atkins diet isn't very healthy as a long-term fix, as you miss out on too many nutrients; I'd go back to eating sensibly a al Weight Watchers, etc, if I were you.

CanAm - don't forget that as we put on muscle, so our shape changes. We do weigh more - but if you're still fitting into your smaller-size clothes and aren't too badly flabby, you're probably okay. Use a tape-measure rather than scales - it's more reliable!

dbny
05-05-2003, 07:54 PM
DB - the Atkins diet isn't very healthy as a long-term fix, as you miss out on too many nutrients; I'd go back to eating sensibly a al Weight Watchers, etc, if I were you.

Thanks, Annabel. I know, that's why I plan to stay on it only for two months. I'm taking daily multi-vitamins and calciums also.

One of the guys in my office went on the Atkins diet for about 1-1/2 months. He stuck to it religiously, but didn't lose any weight, was tired and cranky, and finally gave up.

You know I didn't want to hear that :cry: A friend at the rink today told me that she heard that the weight comes off suddenly after a week or two. I haven't gained at it turns out, but if I don't show a loss by this time next week, it's over.

The problem I have with WW is that I have to get under 18 points a day now to loose any weight and I just can't manage that. That's with exercise! I can step up the exercise, but I just haven't been motivated to do that yet. I was hoping to jump start some motivation with a little quick weight loss via Atkins, then go back to the sensible WW program.

BTW, I love the Wendy's Mandarin Chicken salad, but even with just half the dressing they give you, it is TEN points. That leaves me just 8 for the entire rest of the day, and I like to start with about 6 for breakfast. I've tried every variation of low cal/low fat frozen dinners, but I won't eat anything that has more than 5 points because it doesn't leave me enough room for other meals and snacking. I never eat lunch, but insist on a real breakfast and sunflower seeds (and maybe 4oz of wine) at night after dinner, and I do enjoy the occasional modest dessert.

Any suggestions other than just eating next to nothing and learning to live with it?

Mrs Redboots
05-06-2003, 08:21 AM
Any suggestions other than just eating next to nothing and learning to live with it? Ummm - you could be happy with yourself as you are? You aren't badly overweight, you know - not unless you have put on any in the last 18 months! Which I doubt, as you are back skating again now. More likely the "weight" is muscle - which weighs far more than fat. How are your clothes fitting?

I do have occasional weeks when I have masses of green vegetables, either cooked or raw, and not a great deal else, but other than that I just keep fat and sugar to a minimum (occasional splurges permitted)and hope for the best. They do say that once you hit 50 you can have either a face or a figure, but not both....

dbny
05-06-2003, 09:12 AM
Ummm - you could be happy with yourself as you are? You aren't badly overweight, you know - not unless you have put on any in the last 18 months! Which I doubt, as you are back skating again now.

Well, that would be sensible, and I have made some concessions to it, but the weight that I want to get rid of is a big blob of fat on my belly. I was always very thin and never had any fat there, but I know it is a result of age and having kids. Still, I pine to be rid of it. My goal is to reduce it by half, the rest I could live with. When I first lost the 45 pounds, I felt so slim that I actually was very happy with myself, but now, the belly is really bothering me, in particular because it shows in my skating clothes. I went from a size 16 to a 12, and that is a big improvement. I know I'll never be a size 6 again, but a 10 would be soooo nice. BTW, I'm about 10 pounds slimmer than when we met, Annabel, and that doesn't include the cast :lol:

Mrs Redboots
05-06-2003, 03:25 PM
[B]Well, that would be sensible, and I have made some concessions to it, but the weight that I want to get rid of is a big blob of fat on my belly. I was always very thin and never had any fat there, but I know it is a result of age and having kids. Still, I pine to be rid of it. My goal is to reduce it by half, the rest I could live with. B] That can, of course, be reduced instantly by good posture, and more slowly by work on one's abs - crunches, or that roller machine, or whatever. I have a similar problem.... but it does ease if I stand up properly. I think I'm a little slimmer than I was when we met, too, by the way! :)

dbny
05-06-2003, 09:05 PM
That can, of course, be reduced instantly by good posture, and more slowly by work on one's abs - crunches, or that roller machine, or whatever. I have a similar problem.... but it does ease if I stand up properly. I think I'm a little slimmer than I was when we met, too, by the way! :)

Nope, it's a bit more than that... a solid (or should I say "flabby") two and a half inches of blubber. Even worse, in today's NY Times, Science Section, there was an article about the link between fat and cancer. According to the height/weight chart in the article, I am 10 pounds into the "overweight" category. Not bad, considering I came down from "obese", but I really do need to get rid of that 10 pounds.

Mrs Redboots
05-07-2003, 06:27 AM
I have decided life's too short. I am going to keep an eye on my weight, make sure I don't go back up, drink lots of soup (there is a new batch finishing on the stove!) and eat lots of green veg and salads, to try to lose the last 10-15 lbs I need to, but I'm not going to stress about it. I shall always have to be careful, but....

skatin' mom
05-07-2003, 12:03 PM
I too have that spare tire around the middle problem -- it is the last place I have to lose the weight. A trainer told me that the ONLY way to get rid of it is: cardio, cardio, CARDIO. 6 days a week, at least 30 minutes per session. He said everything else, including the skating and weightlifting, is "gravy". Sorry for the bad news.

Gaela
05-07-2003, 05:42 PM
Even worse news--after over a year of doing that much cardio AND weight training, no weight loss. However, no weight gain either, and I enjoy my beer. But I feel better, and I'm much stronger and firmer. Only part of my body I can't get motivated to exercise is upper abs, via crunches. And it shows!! I'll have to get around to it eventually, because my upper abs are very flabby compared to the rest of me now.

jazzpants
05-07-2003, 11:05 PM
Okay, enough bad news....

I've lost so far about 9-10 lbs. The spare tire is still there, but it's getting noticably deflated. :P My method is just to watch my portions and eat healthy but not go anal on which foods I should or shouldn't eat. (So, if I want a pie, I have a very small slice...just enough to keep me happy!) I also upped my cardio from 30 minutes 3-4 times a week to 45 minutes 4 times a week. (Drink lots of water too!!!)

This is a lifestyle change, not some diet that you'll go off once you've reached your goal. Unfortunately keeping the weight off (maintanance) is probably the difficult part for me... :P

Mrs Redboots
05-08-2003, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by Gaela
Even worse news--after over a year of doing that much cardio AND weight training, no weight loss. However, no weight gain either, and I enjoy my beer. But I feel better, and I'm much stronger and firmer. Which explains why a tape-measure is a better gauge of fitness than scales are, since when you exercise you gain muscle, which weighs heavier than fat. You have lost fat and gained muscle, which is why your weight is unchanged.

sk8pics
05-08-2003, 09:54 AM
Which explains why a tape-measure is a better gauge of fitness than scales are, since when you exercise you gain muscle, which weighs heavier than fat. You have lost fat and gained muscle, which is why your weight is unchanged.

True, but often the problem is not realizing how much you're eating, and worse, how much of the wrong stuff. If you're exercising a lot, and really haven't lost any weight, you might want to track more exactly what you're eating just for a while, to establish a benchmark. Not necessarily the case here, but perhaps worth investigating. A loonnnggg time ago when I was in grad school and exercising a lot (squash, weights, biking) and not losing weight, I started tracking what i was eating and promptly lost something like 35 pounds in around 6 months, without seriously depriving myself.

I myself just signed up for weight watchers on line. I get a lot of exercise, and do feel much better than, say 3-4 years ago, but I'm obviously not eating the right things or I'm eating too much of some things! I still have to study the winning points system, but I'd say I've been eating waayyy too much. I think I just need a bit more structure for awhile. For me, it's about awareness more than anything.

Pat

dbny
05-20-2003, 02:27 PM
After discovering that I was doing Atkins wrong and realizing that I was using it as an excuse to overeat the absolutely worst foods, I declared my vacation from insanity to be over and am now back on Weight Watchers 123. I am greatly enjoying my 4 point breakfast of a rich, whole grain bread toasted with an over-easy egg on top. I never eat lunch anyway, but have a ton of raw veggies if I need a snack. Dinner varies, but I try to allow 8 points for it, and then, there are my beloved sunflower seeds salted in the shell for bedtime snack. I hit the Nordic Trac for the first time in months and did 10 minutes with no effort at all, except that I paid for it the next day. My rule will be to do at least 10 min on any day I don't skate, with the goal of raising it to 30 min. I am determined to lose that 10 pounds!

garyc254
05-20-2003, 03:05 PM
I've lost 4 pounds in the last 22 days. :D

sk8pics
05-20-2003, 05:52 PM
DBNY-- You only eat 12 points a day? Wow. I also signed up for Weight Watchers on line and I don't think I could live on 12 points a day. You're obviously a much smaller person than me!;)

But I've lost 2 pounds in about a little less than 2 weeks, so I'm happy. and not so hungry in the evenings any more, which is good.

Gary --congrats on your weight loss, too!:)

Pat

dbny
05-20-2003, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by sk8pics
DBNY-- You only eat 12 points a day? Wow. I also signed up for Weight Watchers on line and I don't think I could live on 12 points a day. You're obviously a much smaller person than me!;)

But I've lost 2 pounds in about a little less than 2 weeks, so I'm happy. and not so hungry in the evenings any more, which is good.

Gary --congrats on your weight loss, too!:)

Pat

Sorry for giving the wrong impression. I'm allowed all of 18 points a day if I still want to lose weight. I can easily manage the additional 6 points in sunflower seeds and things like fruit, Weight Watchers ice cream bars or Tootsie Roll pops. Believe me, even 18 points seems like next to nothing. My problem is that I'm 5'3" tall and 56 years old. The pounds just don't fall off like they did 20 years ago.

Congrats on losing those 2 pounds!

Gary - way to go!

Gaela
05-21-2003, 02:35 AM
I'm 5"3 tall and 45 years old, and the pounds don't fall all like they used to for me either. Funny thing for me is I was the same weight I am now at 15 (130 and lusting after 127) when they called me fat, and now they call me thin. B

But I don't see why you are restricted to 18 points. I figured out with the exercise that I can do 25 points. And that's still not enough, given my fondness for beer.:D

sk8pics
05-21-2003, 06:14 AM
dbny-- Oh, 18 is better than 12, although I agree it's not a lot. I'm still learning about the whole points thing, but at the beginning I was probably eating 30 points a day and now I'm in the 25-27 sort of range. Actually, I feel like I'm getting plenty to eat now since I think my choices are better. And I know what you mean about the pounds not falling off quickly any more!

Gaela-- The points you are allowed to eat are of course affected by how much exercise you get (as well as your starting weight and your goal weight). But if you are going to follow the whole weight watchers points system, there are rules for how many exercise points you are allowed to use each day and how many you can bank or withdraw from your bank. Sure, you could exercise more and keep a separate tally, and I don't know how dbny is doing things, but I'm trying to actually follow all the rules for several months before I start making changes. And now that I'm picking better foods, I'm not very hungry at night after I skate, whereas I used to be starving!

Pat

quarkiki2
05-21-2003, 10:36 AM
Hello all. Thought I'd drop by and share a bit!

I started running two weeks ago, mostly because my BMI had just crossed over into Obese(31) from Overweight (30-24). After two weeks I'm down 5 lbs and up from 12 minutes of running to 23 and 1 mile to almost 2. I plan to add two minutes to my run time every two days.

Unbelieveably, for a fat person I'm in pretty good shape and found that my heart rate wasn't in the target range when I was just walking, so one day I just decided "I'm going to run a mile tomorrow morning." So I measured a mile from the end of my block using my car's odometer and got up early the next morning and did it. I thought I was going to die that morning, LOL! But I refused to break my promise and I ran the whole mile. Well, running is a pretty loose term, I think a fast walker could pass me by, LOL :oops:

The next morning was easier. In fact, every day got easier and this morning when I added two minutes to make it 23 minutes (plus another 10 walking back to my house), I felt like I might have had more time in me.

And this morning, according to my scale, I passed back into Overweight from Obese on the BMI scale.

So, that's my goal: five pounds every two weeks for the next 20 weeks will put me back at my high school weight of 130. I know I'll hit plateaus in there and I do plan to take up strength training as soon as hubby and I finish tiling and grouting the bathroom (no way I can grout with sore arms and back!). But I'm making this public NOW so that we can all cheer each other on and help each other out! Hold me accountable!!!

garyc254
05-21-2003, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by quarkiki2
After two weeks I'm down 5 lbs and up from 12 minutes of running to 23 and 1 mile to almost 2.

Way to go, Quark!!!!!

Well, running is a pretty loose term, I think a fast walker could pass me by, LOL :oops:

A lot less stressful on your knees. Save them for jumps. ;)

NickiT
05-21-2003, 03:58 PM
Awwww...don't talk to me about diets!!! Have tried everything to lose the 10 pounds that I want to lose. Even Weight Watchers failed to work on me. I've been on 1300 calories of low fat food daily but still the scales stick. Anyway people have been telling me that I don't eat enough for all the skating I do. I skate 3 to 4 times a week for 2 - 2.5 hours a time so I guess I am burning heaps of calories. I'm now trying to increase my daily intake a little to see if it helps. But I know how annoying it is to have the odd few pounds creep up on you and find it hard to lose it again. Good luck with your weight loss.

dbny
05-21-2003, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by NickiT
Awwww...don't talk to me about diets!!! Have tried everything to lose the 10 pounds that I want to lose. Even Weight Watchers failed to work on me. I've been on 1300 calories of low fat food daily but still the scales stick.

You're the one with the real efficient metabolism who will survive the famine! We have so much to eat that it's turned a good thing into a bad thing.

Quarkiki: That's determination! Congrats & keep it up.

I'm 5"3 tall and 45 years old, and the pounds don't fall all like they used to for me either. Funny thing for me is I was the same weight I am now at 15 (130 and lusting after 127) when they called me fat, and now they call me thin.

LOL, I felt thin at 150 after losing 45 pounds! That's relativity :lol:

When I was 15, I weighed all of 110 pounds and didn't go up to my regular adult weight of 116 until I was 18. Now I would feel definitely svelte if I could get to 130, and I would be very pleased with 140.

sk8pics
05-24-2003, 08:13 AM
Just an update...
I lost another 3 pounds for a total of 5 in a little less than 3 weeks! :D My clothes are all looser, and my hip pads that I wear skating are starting to slide around under my leggings. But that's okay! And this is with eating out a number of times to celebrate a promotion and my birthday!

Only problem now is that my points range has dropped... Oh well.:roll:

I hope everyone else is doing well.
Pat

dbny
05-24-2003, 10:30 AM
Good for you, Pat!

I haven't been doing it long enough to get results, but I am using the Nordic Trac every day that I don't skate, and some that I do. I've been doing 10 minutes, using my arms also every other minute, as they are really not used to exercise at all. I've upped it in the last two days to the ten minutes, then switching to milage and continuing on to make it a full mile, which currently comes to 13 minutes. I doesn't even seem hard to do, which is very surprising. I put the TV on full blast and just watch whatever there is.

dbny
05-25-2003, 12:31 PM
Woo Hoo! Just got off the scale and I lost 2 pounds! Love that Nordic Trac.

sk8pics
05-25-2003, 04:31 PM
dbny-- Congrats to you, too! :bow:

sk8pics
06-01-2003, 08:30 AM
Another update -- I've now lost 8 pounds in just under a month!:D And I'm not that hungry most of the time, and I feel fine skating and doing everything else. My clothes are all a bit looser, too.

Anyone else having any succss?

Pat

LTM
06-06-2003, 09:04 AM
Interesting thread, guys with lots of good suggestions.
Over the last year I've taken off approximately 30 pounds ( I was a chubby little monkey, let me tell you)
There is still more to go, but I've seem to have hit that dreaded plateau
and can't get past it.
Anyone else had to deal with that one.

dbny
06-06-2003, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by LTM
Interesting thread, guys with lots of good suggestions.
Over the last year I've taken off approximately 30 pounds ( I was a chubby little monkey, let me tell you)
There is still more to go, but I've seem to have hit that dreaded plateau
and can't get past it.
Anyone else had to deal with that one.

Yes, I've been on a plateau for over a year after losing 45 pounds. Then I got crazy and put on 4 pounds, which have finally come off. I seem to be stalled again, mostly because I once again, want to eat too much. Will have to focus on the size 10 tankini I want.