View Full Version : How often are you sk8ing this summer???

love2sk8
04-27-2003, 08:54 PM
hey, I was just wondering how often ppl were going to sk8 this summer...and if they're training competitively or just for recreational sk8ing?

becca
04-27-2003, 09:03 PM
In the summer I usually do 2 freeskates, 1 half hour spin lesson (or other group lesson), 2 stroking, some sort of off-ice and then I work out. We also have simulations everyday for a week or two before a competition. I get sundays off but will probably skate most saturdays.

sk8er1964
04-27-2003, 10:14 PM
I chose 1 session a day, a couple times a week. In reality, it will be 1 session a day 6 days a week. Because of my full time job, I cannot double up. We will be working to test the Intermediate MIF this summer, plus mastering the 2sal & 2 toe. I am lucky enough to have 6 or 7 summer rinks within 20 minutes of home and work. :D

jazzpants
04-27-2003, 10:46 PM
I guess I fall into the category of "The Works." I skate 3-4 times a week (except this week since I'm down for the count!) :( In addition to that I work out at the gym about the same amount per week. When I'm working, it goes down to 3 ice (1.5 hours each session) and 3 gym, but I usually try to get in a 4th ice session!!!

I take a 1/2 hour lesson a week, since I'm unemployed and don't have much money, I skate the emptier public sessions. If I do end up with a job I'll try to do one coffee club session and one morning FS session. I also did two 1/2 hour lessons, one with my primary coach and one with a secondary FS coach that's near my job.

Now back in the good ol' days when the dot.com industry was BOOMING, I was also doing weekly group ballet classes and private pilates sessions. Not this summer... :(

Currently, I am a recreational skater, but I'm training to be a competitive skater! :D

sk8er1964
04-27-2003, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by jazzpants
since I'm unemployed and don't have much money, I skate the emptier public sessions. If I do end up with a job I'll try to do one coffee club session and one morning FS session.

Currently, I am a recreational skater, but I'm training to be a competitive skater! :D

Most of my skating is done at public skating during lunch time. I only have one hour of f/s club ice a week. This system seems to work :D

Hope you find something soon - it really sucks being unemployed. I did it for 2 months once, and didn't like the experience. Hope you get to try competing - it is just too much fun (once you get over the jitters, and the rubber knees, and the worries about your dress and on and on and on......)

Azlynn
04-28-2003, 12:46 AM
If there'd been an option for none, I would have gone with that.

The ice has now been removed at the two nearest rinks to me, including my club. No ice from March until September. Next nearest ice with a session that I could actually do free skating on... 1.5 hours, worse in traffic. And that's one way. It's a great session for 18 and Over only, but the drive can be killer, especially in bad weather.

So, working mainly on off ice improvements until September, *sigh*

Mrs Redboots
04-28-2003, 03:28 AM
Given the number of competitions I've got coming up between now and the end of June (the first one this afternoon, H-E-L-P-P-P-P-!-!-!), it'll be one session a day, 5-6 days/week. I am too old to skate twice a day, and anyway, the only day that the ice and me are both free to do that is Friday.

kayskate
04-28-2003, 06:14 AM
I'm an adult skater, so I am not into camps and such. The sessions I usually frequent in the summer are cancelled for camps and hockey, etc. So, I try to go to a less convenient session somewhere maybe once/wk. However, I plan to practice on picskates and do distance skating and aerobics for cardio.

Kay

Black Sheep
04-28-2003, 10:49 AM
I'm hoping to skate one FS session every weekday this summer. 8-)

sk8ing is lyfe
04-28-2003, 09:10 PM
ill be doing the works, if not more!
i love it though and wouldn't want it any other way!

StarshineXavier
04-28-2003, 09:42 PM
Hopefully this summer I'll get to start working on NCCP Level 1 Technical Phase 2. This will get me on the ice assisting my coach with her students for an hour or so 3-5 days a week. I won't get to do any of my skating though.

Sk8Bunny
04-28-2003, 10:08 PM
Definetly the works! I love skating all day the summer :-)

anital
04-28-2003, 10:40 PM
I skate at least one session a day, every day, sometimes with Sunday off....I also do a lot of off ice :) Good for my health and I'm improving (at last)

Raine
04-29-2003, 09:24 AM
As an adult competitive skater who works an 8:30-5 schedule, I'll be lucky to skate three times a week this summer, including Saturday and Sunday. During the winter, I was able to skate three weekday mornings a week at a university rink and take the subway to work. What a luxury that was! :) And I appreciated every minute of it, knowing how difficult it was going to be to find ice after the rink closed. Finding ice time convenient to my work schedule is my biggest challenge as an adult skater, along with RFI3s. ;)

Cheers,
Raine

tidesong
04-29-2003, 09:32 AM
The works! If my ankle allows me. I hope to be stroking and spinning at least if not jumping.

Alexa
04-29-2003, 09:50 AM
Raine, I understand what you are saying...not that I am a competitive skater, but lack of time is a reason why I am not going to take anymore lessons. I am not opposed to going on nights and weekends, except for the fact that in the winter those sessions are too packed to even try to practice something, much less skate forward at a reasonable pace.

I occasionally tried to get away around lunchtime to skate, but that is difficult to do. And though, in the summertime the public sessions are much better, it doesn't make much sense to take lessons, and then not have much practice over the winter.

So, good for you in keeping up with it!

BringontheRain
04-29-2003, 02:14 PM
Monday and Thursday - 3 frees (each 1hr) and 1 moves each day along with off ice
Wednesday - 3 frees (each 1hr)
Tuesday and Friday - 3 frees (each 50min)

Gym everyday and stretching everyday

The works

Magz
04-29-2003, 02:53 PM
my club's weird...u pick weeks to do and u have 2 do 4 days for each week u chose and u have 2 frees/dances 1 skills (moves) a day

so i'm doing the last week of July and the first 2 weeks of august if my schedule allows lol

singerskates
04-29-2003, 04:50 PM
This summer I'm staying off of the ice no matter how much my coach says, "It will keep your ankles in shape for the fall." I need to save up for my 20th wedding anniversary. Plus, Riverside SC costs more than Windsor FSC and I'm assuming the cost will go up this year being that not many skaters joined this past year with Riverside. But if many come back to Riverside then maybe the costs will not be as bad as I'm anticipating. For intermediate ice (up to low end doubles) for the 2002-2003 fall winter season it was $750 plus two hundred dollar bingo checks which are not put through unless you don't do the two bingos. I did one bingo before my operation but didn't return to the ice until December. So I don't know what they will do with that. I may have a one month credit for next year. Who knows? But anyway, I really need the time off of the ice to find out what is going on with my calf and Achilles tendon. So no skating this summer.

96.23??
04-30-2003, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by Magz
my club's weird...u pick weeks to do and u have 2 do 4 days for each week u chose and u have 2 frees/dances 1 skills (moves) a day

so i'm doing the last week of July and the first 2 weeks of august if my schedule allows lol

That's the same way the summer program here is done. We pretty much have one summer program for the whole area and you pick which weeks you want out of the summer each week is made up of 2-4 days i think? and then there is some off ice stuff after on some days, but i dont skate that hard core i think im only going to skate four days a week for 7 or 5 weeks i havent chosen yet.

love2sk8
05-01-2003, 09:48 PM
Sry to people who arent skating this summer for forgetting to make that an option in my poll!!

Looks like most people are gonna be skating on a regular basis! thats awesome:) This summer i;m doing 3 sessions, stroking, competition simulation, power stroking, pilates, ballet and the gym...so the works! This summer is gonna be tiring, but thats ok!

Good luck to everyone with their training!!

fort_henry_roxs
05-04-2003, 08:55 PM
Hey..
Yeah this summer I am only doing 3 weeks , 4 days a week, and I think its 1 session of each (freeskate, skills, and dance). Oh and then there is off-ice 2 times a week!:D