View Full Version : Is it possible to practice jumps off ice?

gardana
04-26-2003, 04:18 PM
If so, what sort of jumps do you practice off ice, how do you practice take off and landing?

Terri C
04-26-2003, 04:32 PM
I practice the following jumps off ice: waltz, toe loop, loop and flip. You can do lutzes and axels off ice as well! The salchow is a little harder to do off ice , but it can be done!

Isabelle
04-26-2003, 04:38 PM
I suggest hopping on the landing (don't try to "stick" it) because it's less damaging to the knee.

Hester Prynn
04-26-2003, 05:14 PM
When I was younger, more energetic, body not falling apart, etc I would practice my doubles up through lutz off the ice. Now because of a reoccuring ankle issue, I can't practice really any of my jumps off ice. The main problem being the double axel.
I definately agree with Isabelle, better to hop the landings, it also helps prevent twisting your ankle.
As for what I do now, well, depends on the day and how my feet do. If I practice anything, it's only ever a single or double axel. But for the most part, I don't recommend ANY off ice jumping if you have knee or ankle problems. Even on a fairly soft yet stable surface, it compounds the problem. Some coaches push it, mine never did.

Hope this helps...

*hp

dooobedooo
04-26-2003, 06:28 PM
I find it's OK for practising rotation, landing etc, but find it almost impossible to get a good feeling to the edge, rocker and toepick. So I can get a jump to work fine in shoes, and then not transfer it to the ice. Any tips?

Chico
04-27-2003, 12:12 AM
I practice all my jumps on the floor. I can do all the singles, the axel, the 2 sal, and 2 toe. My flip and loop are cheated. I have no fear on the floor but do get nervous on the ice some days. I like floor jumping as I feel like I get more spring and tennis shoes are much lighter than skates. I do think it helps. Things do feel different on the ice with movement and edges. I think floor jumping does give you the idea of the jump. I too agree, hop your landing.

Chico

Mrs Redboots
04-27-2003, 07:54 AM
My coach starts all his skaters doing new jumps off-ice - if he takes a skater off the ice, it's either to stretch him/her, or you know they're working on a new jump.

sk8ing is lyfe
04-27-2003, 12:25 PM
use off ice jumping as a way to practice quickness into the rotating position and quality of the rotating position. Do NOT trying and use it to master technique because it is totally different...

JMO!

Skatingsarah
04-27-2003, 09:01 PM
My jumps are better off the ice then on,lol. I work really hard outside that the grass is dead where I jump lol

Mrs Redboots
04-28-2003, 03:23 AM
Originally posted by Skatingsarah
My jumps are better off the ice then on,lol. I work really hard outside that the grass is dead where I jump lol Yeah, I've had to ban jumping in our front room - there simply isn't enough space and after husband and daughter both crashed into the furniture, I said Enough was Enough, and Jumps had to be Practiced Outside!

icenut84
04-28-2003, 11:03 AM
Lol Annabel!

I practice them off ice sometimes, but mostly it's just the entrances, and getting into position. I don't always actually jump up. I usually do them in the living room, although I have been caught doing them at college before, and once my boyfriend caught me practicing a loop in his kitchen! lol. I've crashed into the furniture a couple of times, but nothing too bad. I also crashed into the kitchen table a few times when trying to practice spins. :)