View Full Version : USFSA Levels?

becca
04-26-2003, 01:21 PM
I'm a Canadian skaters who is thinking of going to the summer freeskate competition in Lake Placid. I have my Jr. Bonze freeskate which I think means that I'm elgible to skate either pre-juvenile or open juvenile (could somebody confirm this for me?). Also, is there an age limit on pre-juvenile (I am 20 so not exactly a little kid anymore). Assuming that I am eligable to skate at either level, which one would I be better off in (as a 20 year old who has most of her doubles but doesn't skate with a lot of speed). Can you tell me what the general level of skating is like at these levels? I have never been to a USFSA competition before so I have no idea what to expect.

vesperholly
04-26-2003, 02:06 PM
Lake Placid is a pretty big competition, also regarded as one of the more difficult club competitions. As an older skater, I think you would be much better off in Open Juvenile. The Pre-Juvenile skaters that I usually see going tend to be the young, competitive ones.

Jocelyn

BringontheRain
04-26-2003, 03:11 PM
I would definitely say Open Juvenile. I think Open Juv was my fave level ever lol ... I will be competing at LP this summer too ... my 4th summer there I can't wait :)

I was in Open Juv there 2 years ago ... the top 3 of us, had up to double lutz planned, I popped it but did 2 double loops, double flip, double sal and axel. The girl who won had 2 double doubles tho cheated, and all doubles up to lutz, I think flip and lutz were cheated. The third place girl also had all doubles up to lutz. After that no one had more than 2 or 3 doubles IIRC. Last year my friend got second, she has up to lutz as well but didn't skate great.

So I would say if you have most of your doubles you're in good shape :)

becca
04-26-2003, 07:58 PM
Thanks, that was very helpful. It does seem like open juvenile would be the best level for me. One more question: If I compete open juvenile freeskate can I still do pre-juvenile compulsory moves (I don't have a clean double toe and double toe/loop combo is one of the elements)?

vesperholly
04-27-2003, 01:01 AM
I am pretty sure that the CM and Freeskate events are separate. Short program/long program for Intermediate-Senior might be together.

BTW, is the announcement/entry form available yet?

Jocelyn

becca
04-27-2003, 07:06 PM
the announcement is up on the lake placid web site

pennskater
04-29-2003, 02:42 PM
here's the website for Lake Placid Freestyle Competition:

http://orda.org/skating/figskatechamp.htm

The freestyle and compulsories are entirely separate events.
Please check with your coach as to ISI v USFSA levels but open juv sounds like where you should be.
It doesn't state that you can't skate at different levels, so you should be okay doing prejuv moves and open juv freestyle.
Also, last year, several skaters did both juv and int freestyle, so you can even skate at two different levels (but that takes a lot out of you).
Most events restrict you to only one freestyle level, but Lake Placid does not. Most competitions also usually restrict you to skating only one level higher than what you tested, but ORDA does not.

It's a very competitive event, but well judged and well run.
The judges favor clean jumps over cheated ones, so singles can score higher than doubles that aren't good.

Good luck.

Figureskates
04-29-2003, 03:16 PM
I may be up at Lake Placid as well since my club is hosting the event. I get a chance to work behind the scenes as well as catch some of the events.....

CanAmSk8ter
04-30-2003, 07:23 PM
Anyone here planning to be in LP for the dance competition?