View Full Version : What is your favourite element?

icenut84
04-24-2003, 04:20 PM
What is everybody's favourite element (in free skating)? Jumps, spins, footwork, or something else? I thought it would be interesting to see how popular each element is. Personally, my favourite is definitely footwork - it's the one I'm best at, it comes more naturally than the other two, and I find it the most fun. :)

What about everyone else?

love2sk8
04-24-2003, 06:21 PM
I LOVE jumping...there's nothing like the rush you get from landing a triple...i live for it!!!! footwork is also fun and spins too...but jumping is where its at;)

Black Sheep
04-24-2003, 06:35 PM
How about gliding maneuvers? My favorite is the shoot-the-duck-cross-leg hydroblade! 8-)

96.23??
04-24-2003, 06:53 PM
I agree with love2sk8!! I LOVE jumping it's absolutely the best kind of element you can do!!!! :D:D:D

CoolbugSuz
04-24-2003, 07:53 PM
I chose other, because I enjoy doing spirals and spread eagles. I'm not too good at spinning. I haven't really learned anything other than a basic 2 foot spin, and as far as jumps go, I can only do a tiny waltz jump. And my footwork is absent. LOL!

Thank goodness for the open hips though, because the spread eagles come fairly naturally to me! :)

Suz

BringontheRain
04-24-2003, 08:19 PM
Jumps ~ I am definitely a jumper

StarshineXavier
04-24-2003, 09:08 PM
I like the thrill of jumping, but I also like the feeling of spins. I just love skating in general.

Skatingsarah
04-24-2003, 09:59 PM
JUMPING ALLLL THE WAY!

twinkle
04-25-2003, 06:52 AM
I chose other - I love Ina Bauers :)

Mrs Redboots
04-25-2003, 11:01 AM
I'm no jumper, I can't spin, my footwork is far too slow - so I chose "Other". In most of my programmes I have a "spiral-into-teapot" manoeuvre - a not-very-high spiral, then I come upright and sink down into a not-very-low teapot (shoot-the-duck). I also often do a rather bad hydroblade - I can't get down low enough for anybody to be at all certain what I'm doing. Oh well....

garyc254
04-25-2003, 12:16 PM
Since I don't know how to jump or spin, it must be footwork.

Michigansk8er
04-25-2003, 12:23 PM
I LOVE to spin!!!! :D :D :D :D Especially back spins of any kind. Lutzes are great too though. Too bad I can only dream of doing them right now.....................

susan6
04-25-2003, 02:25 PM
Man, here's me being a geek.....my first response to this thread was,

"Uh....rubidium. No, gold. Or maybe gallium."

OK, my favorite SKATING element is probably an ina bauer. I can do an inside ina bauer but not an outside ina bauer.....I'd love to be able to do a straight one across the rink. I would love to see a top skater do a big inside-to-outside ina bauer, tracing a big S shape across the rink.

Raine
04-25-2003, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by susan6
Man, here's me being a geek.....my first response to this thread was,

"Uh....rubidium. No, gold. Or maybe gallium."

I thought the same thing! Titanium came to mind. :)

Skating-wise, the ina bauer is also my favourite move. It was one of the moves I taught myself when I first started skating, and I used to be able to do a straight one from one corner of the rink to the other in a long diagonal. It was bliss, but for some reason, I haven't been able to do one in a straight line in years. I don't know if it's advancing age or my blade settings or what.

Cheers,
Raine

mikawendy
04-27-2003, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by CoolbugSuz
I chose other, because I enjoy doing spirals and spread eagles....
Suz

Yes, me, too--spirals are my favorite thing to practice. I leave them till the end of my sessions or I'd never get anything else done.

I like ina bauers, too, but I haven't really worked on them a whole lot.

Vicki
04-27-2003, 02:05 PM
I also selected "other" for Ina Bauers and spread eagles.

jazzpants
04-27-2003, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by Michigansk8er
I LOVE to spin!!!! :D :D :D :D Especially back spins of any kind. Lutzes are great too though. Too bad I can only dream of doing them right now.....................

Backspin! EVIL EVIL!!! :evil: But I have added in my vote for spins, since I hate to jump even more. :P

MissIndigo
04-27-2003, 03:17 PM
Spins! Spins! And even more Spins!!!

I have never had trouble finding my center when it comes to spinning. I just wish I had more time to practice now that I am moving into the more advanced spins, but I'll take what I can get. My favorite spin of late has been the layback--I never stray on that one!

sk8er1964
04-27-2003, 09:58 PM
Huge flips. Huge axels (although its been about 22 years), huge flying camels, huge flying sits (ok, I can dream, can't I?) See a jump trend???? :D

icenut84
04-28-2003, 11:06 AM
I would love to see a top skater do a big inside-to-outside ina bauer, tracing a big S shape across the rink.

I'm positive I've seen a female skater do that once, but for the life of me I can't remember who it was. I know someone has though...

Michigansk8er
04-28-2003, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by jazzpants
Backspin! EVIL EVIL!!! :evil:

Backspins are the BEST! :D :D :D Fun, Fun, Fun!

Alexeiskate
04-28-2003, 01:02 PM
OK, my favorite SKATING element is probably an ina bauer. I can do an inside ina bauer but not an outside ina bauer.....I'd love to be able to do a straight one across the rink. I would love to see a top skater do a big inside-to-outside ina bauer, tracing a big S shape across the rink.

Actually the only way I can get into an outside bauer is by first doing an inside one and then leaning my leading edge into an outside edge. I can only do the bauer with my right leg as the leading leg though. I wish I can do it the otherway instead so that I can practice stepping into an axel from it, but I can't.

Rosalyn Sumners' trademark move used to be a deep inside bauer into a 2axel.

Jeffrey Buttle does a great outside inar bauer in his free program this year.

vesperholly
04-28-2003, 02:30 PM
Mmm, I love spins, especially flying camels. They've finally gone from step-over camels to truly flying. Whee!

Jocelyn

tidesong
04-29-2003, 09:28 AM
i'm a jump junkie... ha ha... can't get enough of them. I love the waltz jumps, its like watching the world go by :)