View Full Version : hooray! a green light!

Mel On Ice
04-24-2003, 04:06 PM
My physical therapist has given me the green light to begin skating again, starting today. Under his strict orders though:

30 minutes maximum

stroking, 3 turns, mohawks, spirals and lunges only

NO spins or jumps

at the first sign of prolonged pain (as opposed to a twinge) I'm to get off immediately and ice it down

ice after every single session

make sure to stretch before and after every session (which I should do anyway)

If this goes okay, I can begin to work back up -- slowly -- to my old training regimen, and can start jumping and spinning in 7-10 days. Watch out on May 2!

The ankle is feeling much better, although I am still getting a few twinges. What's comforting is where is hurts, I have plenty of padding in my skates, and he is going to instruct me on Monday how to properly tape my ankle, since I will be skating taped up for a while.

sk8clean
04-24-2003, 04:30 PM
Good luck!! I am recovering from an ankle injury also. As hard as it will be to do, take it easy. My first day back on the ice all I could do was swizzles for 10 minutes. If you take things slowly it really is amazing how fast the ice skating moves come back.

skatign babe
04-24-2003, 04:32 PM
i was just wondering how long you stayed off the ice when you got injured?? i have been off for about two weeks with a very bad sprain and i was wondering approx. how long till i go back????

dbny
04-24-2003, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by Mel On Ice
My physical therapist has given me the green light to begin skating again, starting today.

Congratulations! Welcome back. :D

Black Sheep
04-24-2003, 06:33 PM
Congrats. and welcome back! Enjoy! 8-)

garyc254
04-25-2003, 08:40 AM
ALRIGHT, MEL!!!!!!! :D :D :D

Will you be able to skate at least part of the practice session with the synchro team tonight?

I'm getting tired of trying to hold you back at rinkside. ;) :lol:

Mel On Ice
04-25-2003, 10:04 AM
yes gary, I will be at synchro tonight, but you have to make sure I get off the ice after my 1/2 hour is up, you know I will fight to stay on for the whole hour.

I'm planning on skating the freestyle on Sat. morning too, only 15 minutes on, 15 off, etc.

I sprained the ankle on March 11, stayed off the ice for a week, then attempted a few sessions where I only stayed on the ice for about 20 minutes, until I finally went to a doctor on March 27. In reality, I was off the ice for 6 weeks and 3 days, but who's counting?

If I have any regrets from this experience, it's the fact I didn't take the injury seriously, and go to the doctor immediately. The night of it happened, hubby was in Michigan snowmobiling and I didn't want to panic him, or myself and tried to convince myself it was nothing. Hello, an ankle twice its size that feels like it has its own heartbeat that cannot bear weight is injured! I probably would have still been off the ice for 6 weeks and 3 days, but I would have taken care of myself better, and possibly not prolong the aches and pains. When I think of the possible damage I did that weekend in Tampa...

garyc254
04-25-2003, 10:22 AM
yes gary, I will be at synchro tonight, but you have to make sure I get off the ice after my 1/2 hour is up, you know I will fight to stay on for the whole hour.

If you think about it, you won't be skating the whole hour. Your total actual skating time will only be around 20 to 25 minutes. The rest of the time is discussion and catching your breath.

Mrs Redboots
04-25-2003, 11:08 AM
Oh good! I do hope you enjoy it as much as ever....

Mel On Ice
04-25-2003, 12:07 PM
still, standing around on 1/8" blade is considered "time on the ice" by the PT. I'll give Donna some stink eye if she disagrees.

garyc254
04-25-2003, 12:15 PM
I'll give Donna some stink eye if she disagrees.

Susan said to tell you "COOL!!!"

She's glad your going to be back.

Better yet, they can have the breaks near the hockey box and you can sit down in between practice runs.

Michigansk8er
04-25-2003, 12:20 PM
Hey Mel,

Be careful out there with those wicked moves! I can only do moves at the moment too........and I'm not even safe doing that. Major splat on a bracket on Wednesday. I'm sure that did my back a world of good. :(

Have fun out there!!!!!! It's great being back on the ice after being off.

sk8er1964
04-27-2003, 09:10 PM
If I have any regrets from this experience, it's the fact I didn't take the injury seriously, and go to the doctor immediately.

Isn't it amazing that when we are old enough to know better we still insist on ignoring our injuries? Glad to hear that you are back on ice :)

Sk8er1964 (after a month of trying to tough it out, on week 6 or so of my physical therapy.....)

garyc254
04-28-2003, 08:52 AM
Mel was a very good girl on her first skate back. She didn't try to skate with her team, but skated nearer the boards. She went through several program elements on her own and took breaks.

She was all smiles by the end of the session. :D :D :D

Welcome back, Mel.

Mel On Ice
04-28-2003, 11:59 AM
I did try shadow skating and perform the same elements as the team, only off by myself. There were a few twinges, but I stopped right away.

I skated Sat. morning too. :P