View Full Version : A Thread for Flippet

Elsy2
04-23-2003, 03:31 PM
I can't believe you have only a few weeks to go.....or maybe days? You never know! Good luck to you Flippet, we'll be anxious to hear your baby tales too.

jazzpants
04-23-2003, 03:48 PM
Geez, must be the ice!!! A lot of babies popping up there!!! :P

We're all looking forward to the arrival of your little one, Flippet!!! :D

Black Sheep
04-23-2003, 06:03 PM
Does Flippet have a baby page like Eliana's?? 8-)

Michigansk8er
04-23-2003, 06:13 PM
Definitely keep us posted! ...............and we'll all anxiously be waiting for some photos too. :D Wow, a little Flippet.

flippet
04-23-2003, 07:04 PM
Hi guys! No, I don't have a baby page...I've been thinking that I need to set one up, but I'm incredibly lazy/clueless when it comes to that sort of thing. I'll be lucky to get anything written in a baby book, to tell the truth! It's just not something that comes naturally to me. We don't even have any 'big belly' pictures--never motivated enough to take any. I should make hubby do that soon though--we might regret it later! (Well, I'm sure I'll regret it one way or the other, regardless! ;) )

I'll be sure to post a few photos somewhere when the time comes, though.

Elsy, technically I've got just over two weeks to go. We'll see! Sometimes I think I'll go late, sometimes I think I'll go early. The critter is over 8 pounds ALREADY...and I'm not a large person!!! 8O But I think I'll be fine. I'm not worried about it, anyway. Two of my friends recently had babies, the first was 9lbs 5oz, the second was 9lbs 6oz, so mine is just destined to be at least 9lbs 7oz! I figure I'll just blame it on his daddy. ;)

Elsy2
04-23-2003, 09:01 PM
Get out that camera before it's too late. It really is amazing to look back at a pic of yourself pregnant years down the road. Sounds like you don't know if your having a girl or boy "critter"....LOL....I didn't know either and was fooled every time. I remember the weird dreams...that I gave birth to a litter of mice. Our thoughts are going to be with you....

flippet
04-23-2003, 09:33 PM
Thanks for the good thoughts! :)

Actually, we do know that we're having a boy. Originally hoping for a girl, but he pulled a fast one on us! :lol: I actually wasn't surprised to find that out--I had no inklings about it one way or the other for the first trimester, other than wishes. Into the second trimester, I just began to feel that it was a boy, regardless of what we'd been crossing our fingers for. (Perhaps the fact that my friends both had boys, and boys seem to be the only choice around here lately had something to do with it! But really, I did simply get that feeling.) Hubby still thought it was a girl, but I was proved right by the ultrasound! ;)

So far, not too many weird dreams. Or cravings, or any of the 'usual' pregnancy ills. It's been a pretty good ride so far, I really can't complain. A bit of fluid retention recently, which is a nuisance, and a bit of an 'overdose' of relaxin hormone, which makes it impossible to sleep on my side without excruciating hip/pelvic pain--but that's really the extent of it. All can be dealt with.

And yes, the skates are on order. ;) (if he wants to do hockey, I'll :cry: ) :D

I can't wait to get back to skating myself--I've really missed it! I just hope my chubby feet haven't permanently spread--my skates were a hair narrow to begin with! Ah well--maybe it's a good excuse to sell these and buy new, properly fitting ones. :)

Chico
04-24-2003, 12:11 AM
Flippet,

Take those pictures! Someday you'll really want them believe it or not. Also be sure to take lots of pictures in the hospital of you, husband and baby. These will be priceless. It will take a few weeks for the fluid to go away. Don't give up on the old skates right away. Best wishes.

Chico

dbny
04-24-2003, 01:41 PM
Flippet,
Glad to hear you aren't experiencing much of the pregnancy woes. Those loose hips can be quite painful, I know. Just a word of caution re pictures at the hospital: take your own, even if you have pro's take them too. Ours were on a cartrige that cracked, so we only had one or two that we took ourselves. If you can do it with a digital camera, even better, as you can see how good they are right away. Also, estimates of birth weight can be very off. I was supposed to be carrying a big girl, but she was only 7lb 1.5oz after all. Birth weight is best predicted by the birth weight of the parents, as opposed to their adult size. Good luck to you, may you have a smooth and relatively pain free labor and delivery.

flippet
04-24-2003, 03:12 PM
dbny...someone else with loose hips? I was beginning to feel all alone! I mentioned the pain/discomfort to my formerly pregnant friends, and they looked at me like I was from another planet, because they didn't experience anything of the sort. Even my midwives didn't take it seriously for a couple of months. Not until, at a checkup, the one midwife wanted me to lay on my side to get the baby to turn properly, and I told her I simply couldn't do it. She looked completely shocked. She asked, 'what are you going to do if, in labor, you need to lay on your side to get the baby's heartbeat?' I thought, lay there and sob from the pain, I don't know. :?? It just stretches the pubic symphysis ligament unbearably. But, now, I'm getting twice-a-week physical therapy for that, plus I've been getting once-a-week chiropractic adjustments for a few months, and added in once-a-week massage as well. (I love my insurance! :D) I swear, it's the only thing keeping me together! (And if I stay well away from laying on my side, I'm generally pain-free anyway.)

I'll be very interested to find out just how much he weighs. I've been certain he's been over the 'norms' all along, by a little bit, at least. My midwife thought he was heading to be in the mid 8 range, but at my last ultrasound (because neither she nor the doc could be certain he was head down...he is), the ultrasound doc said he was already about 7lbs 15oz--and that was a week ago! He also said that the torso was measuring about 39 weeks, and I was only 37 weeks at the time. 8O So, either he'll be a bit early, or he's just gonna be one BIG kid! I was just under 7 lbs myself, but I think hubby was in the mid 8 range, and his family runs pretty large--he's the smallest of them. (His youngest brother was over 10lbs.)

dbny
04-24-2003, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by flippet
dbny...someone else with loose hips? I was beginning to feel all alone!

Hmm, I thought that was common knowledge. Glad to have been of some comfort for you.

My midwife thought he was heading to be in the mid 8 range, but at my last ultrasound (because neither she nor the doc could be certain he was head down...he is), the ultrasound doc said he was already about 7lbs 15oz--and that was a week ago! He also said that the torso was measuring about 39 weeks, and I was only 37 weeks at the time.

I forgot how much ultrasound imaging had improved in the three years between my two kids. It must be absolutely amazing now, 16 years later.

96.23??
04-24-2003, 06:56 PM
Hi, who is flippet anyways?? Is she someone who is having or had a baby?

Moto Guzzi
04-25-2003, 07:09 AM
Originally posted by 96.23??
Hi, who is flippet anyways?? Is she someone who is having or had a baby?

Hi, 96.23. Flippet is a long-time poster on this board and a former board where many of us used to post, and she is also a moderator here. Yes, she is expecting a baby boy in the very near future. I hope all goes well for her and her husband and that she has a safe, relatively painless delivery and a healthy baby.

96.23??
04-25-2003, 07:24 PM
Cool. Thanks for replying.

Chico
04-26-2003, 12:02 AM
Flippet,

Both times I had a baby the ultrasound showed the baby being bigger than they were. Not by tons, but around a 1 lb. I think. I also got the loose hips thing....should be soon! Just be really careful, because as you know, your balance is shot. Can't help myself, gotta give you a labor tip. Walk until you can't anymore. Really, this will really work in your favor in shortening your labor.Labor is not an event you want to last forever!
Chico

TaraNJ
04-29-2003, 03:53 PM
Flippet, that BabiesOnline.com site is totally free...and easy to use...so you might want to consider posting photos there!

Regarding baby size...ultrasounds are very inaccurate for determining size. As are doctors! They thought Eliana would be 7.5 to 8 pounds and she was only 6 pounds, 6 ounces. The better determiner is your own size at birth. I was small, just 6 pounds. So was my husband. So, genetics dictated we would have a small baby. But I was totally shocked! She is just now wearing 0-3 month sizes; the first four weeks she was in preemie stuff.

Have fun these last few days of your pregnancy! Let me know if you need any advice....not that I'm that experienced! She is 1 month 1 day old today!

--Tara (typing w/1 hand)

Schmeck
05-03-2003, 07:08 AM
flippet, just to give you a heads up - you really might need to get new skates after all. I went from a shoe size of 6 to a 7 1/2 after having two children. Not only do your feet swell from retained fluid, they also loosen up from the "preggy hormones" and spread out from the extra weight of the pregnancy.

Just another fun thing to think about... ;)

Schmeck

PS - he must be born by now, so I'm off to check the off-topic zone for news! :D

dbny
05-03-2003, 10:41 AM
On the side of hope re your skates, I have to say that I could still wear all of the same shoes after two kids, even with the loose hips. I think it may be a very individual thing.

Arsenette
05-09-2003, 01:53 PM
Hey.. any word from Flippet? :halo:

Elsy2
05-09-2003, 04:13 PM
Flippet was posting on another area today....so I guess she's still hanging in there!

flippet
05-09-2003, 06:27 PM
Yeah, I'm still here! I don't mind though...gives me a bit more time to relax and get a few more things done...like straightening the guest room/office for my mom. When your filing system is basically the floor... :roll: :oops:

Taz has his final exam on Tuesday morning, so we're hoping the squirt waits until at least Tuesday afternoon! Since most first babies are somewhat late, that seems rather possible, and even likely. :)

Arsenette
05-28-2003, 08:27 PM
Okay.. I'm bothering again.. Is the little tyke here now?? :halo:

jazzpants
05-29-2003, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by Arsenette
Okay.. I'm bothering again.. Is the little tyke here now?? :halo: Well, she's online as of yesterday. She posted on the "Rink Problems" thread. :)

But who knows... today COULD BE the day!!! :mrgreen:

flippet
06-04-2003, 06:19 PM
Ack! Sorry guys!! :oops: :oops: I thought I'd posted, for some reason.

Tristan Gareth arrived on May 15, after 31 hours. 8O I was planning natural, but the epidural is my new best friend! :) He was 9 pounds even, 20 1/2 inches, and had a 15 1/4 inch head! (Must come from his daddy's side. ;) ) Very healthy and happy.

Uncle V. was nice enough to put up a webpage of pics here (http://www.digitalmadhouse.net).

We've certainly been busy...recovering and sleeping the first week, and getting into the swing of things and visiting all over since. :)

Elsy2
06-04-2003, 06:35 PM
CONGRATULATIONS! And welcome to the world Tristan! So glad all is well.......and you've already learned the joys of dressing up baby 8-) I was really beginning to worry that Tristan didn't want to come out for some reason, lol!

skootz
06-04-2003, 06:53 PM
Congratulations!!!! What a beautiful baby and big baby. He is the size of 2 of my girls/not twins put together ;) (4lb8oz and 4 oz9).thanks for sharing.

Also I must say...you look just awesome after just having a baby... in the cool baby pictures - you would never know you just had a baby.

Black Sheep
06-04-2003, 07:03 PM
Awww CUTE! He sure has great taste in clothing. He's gonna break a lot of hearts someday....8-)

dbny
06-04-2003, 09:44 PM
Oooh, he is adorable! So wide awake and alert looking too.

jazzpants
06-04-2003, 10:43 PM
Welcome to the world, Tristan!!!

http://www.gamers-forums.com/smilies/kao/chika/chirol_cake.gif

He's SO CUTE!!! And what a BIG baby too!!! He's gonna be a linebacker when he grows up!!! :P

http://216.40.249.192/s/kao/chika/chirol_lovely.gif

Congrats to you Flippet!!! (You sure know how to keep secrets like this!!!) :P

Michigansk8er
06-05-2003, 05:42 AM
Flippet,

Congrats!!!!! What an adorable baby you have.............but of course, considering his parents. :D

Mrs Redboots
06-05-2003, 09:07 AM
Oh, he's lovely! Very well done, Flippet - and the warmest of welcomes to him.

I wish I had some pictures of my husband's new great-niece, Sophia Robinson, the news of whose arrival awaited us on our return from holiday (please note, she is not my great-niece; I may be a great aunt, but I'm not willing to be a great-aunt!)

twinsmom
06-05-2003, 10:35 AM
Welcome Tristan! And congratulations to Flippet and Taz!! Glad all went well, although 30 hours of labor--YIKES! Thanks to uncle for sharing the photos. He's adorable, and you do look great flip. Enjoy him while he's this little, they grow up so fast:D

Figureskates
06-05-2003, 11:28 AM
Congratulations!!!!

A big baby does not necessarily mean he will be a big adult.

I was 10 pounds 1oz at birth and I am only 173 pounds at 6 feet now.

Love the name......

Arsenette
06-05-2003, 02:21 PM
He was 9 pounds even, 20 1/2 inches, and had a 15 1/4 inch head!

OH WOW!!!!! 8O :P :twisted:

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

BTW - where is the baby page?? I only have your page that had your wedding pics :oops:

quarkiki2
06-05-2003, 03:16 PM
Nice to meet you, Tristan!

Yay Flippet and Taz!!!! :D

Hope you're all doing well and getting lots of sleep!

A.H.Black
06-05-2003, 07:14 PM
Love the shades and the "Hangin out" pictures. You look very happy. Hope you are feeling fine. A big Congrats from me.

Are you feeling more comfortable about the whole thing now?

Schmeck
06-08-2003, 06:50 AM
Finally got back on line after a major computer crash, to such wonderful news! Congratulations flippet and taz! Tristan - love that name even more now, it was always one of my favorites. Thanks for sharing him with us flippet, and best wishes to a wonderful new family!

Schmeck

flippet
06-09-2003, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by A.H.Black

Are you feeling more comfortable about the whole thing now?

About the baby? Sure. That was never an issue, really. I've always known I wanted to be a mom, and that I'd be a pretty decent mom.

Finances, however, are more sticky than ever. And I'll just leave that at that.

Thanks for all the congrats! Tristan is currently snoozing in his swing (thank goodness for hand-me-downs and garage sales!), but he's been wanting to eat or at least use me for a pacifier about every hour or so for the last few days. I'm blaming it on a growth spurt... :lol:

It's funny though...as big as he is, he still doesn't fit into most of his 0-3 month clothes! He simply swims in a lot of it. He's pretty skinny---all that weight's in his head!! 8O

Arsenette, the link's in my post...click on the 'here'.

Arsenette
06-09-2003, 05:16 PM
Arsenette, the link's in my post...click on the 'here'.

Yeah.. I found it.. :oops: I'm such an idiot sometimes!

GREAT PICS!!!! BIG baby! :P

Mrs Redboots
06-10-2003, 08:28 AM
but he's been wanting to eat or at least use me for a pacifier about every hour or so for the last few days. I'm blaming it on a growth spurt... :lol: It's absolutely normal, I'm afraid! Almost all breastfed babies do that from time to time - either they're having a growth spurt, or you're one degree under and your milk isn't quite as nutritious as usual, or both! Either way, let him suckle as much as he needs to - you can't get breastfed babies into a routine, it simply can't be done!