View Full Version : So Sad, Boo Hoo

DancinDiva
04-21-2003, 07:51 PM
:cry: WAAAA! I had my last lesson tonight! I'm so bummed, the past 15 weeks have been so much fun. And my rink closes for the summer now. The nearest rink offering summer ice is about 1 hour away, but summer sessions don't start for almost two months. I don't know what I'm going to do with myself! Anyway, I'm feeling pretty happy with myself. Prior to this, I'd never skated before. Now I'm doing front and back crossovers, FI and BI mohawks, and started FO3 tonight. If you'd asked me before my first lesson if I thought I'd learn any of these, I would have laughed out loud. Now I'm looking foward to summer lessons and picking up a few new skills!

Elsy2
04-21-2003, 08:14 PM
It will be OK! You can be off two months and still remember what you learned in a very short time, so don't worry. Still I'd be upset too, as you are motivated to go on, and there is no opportunity. In the meantime, do something else that will compliment your skating. Biking, rollerblading, walking. Get into something to make the time go by faster and before you know it you'll be back on the ice. I'd plan to do the summer ice twice a week if you can.

Black Sheep
04-21-2003, 10:47 PM
That was a hard thing for me when I skated as a kid, because my local rink closed every March 'til late September/early October, and my parents were never willing to drive me anywhere else (except for when I had privates once a week at a year-round rink several suburbs over).

Fortunately for me, even though my local rink still closes for the summer (when it becomes an indoor soccer field), I've got plenty of other rinks I can drive to easily! 8-)

kayskate
04-22-2003, 05:35 AM
I've mentioned this before on this board, but I really enjoy Picskates in the summer. I can't do as much on them as ice, but I find a lot of basic skating skills translate well. If you have a roller rink closer, they are certainly a lot of fun.

Kay

garyc254
04-22-2003, 04:35 PM
I hate summertime. Even though I can still find ice time occasionally, the options are limited.

If I didn't have to work for a living it would be much easier. :lol:

Dancindiva, take these couple of months to do off ice practice and stretch and exercise your muscles. It will make the return to the ice that much sweeter.

96.23??
04-22-2003, 07:21 PM
hi yes im in private lessons now and or community does offer spring ice it just is really super crowded so i tend not to take it i dont skate until the summer and i hate being away from skating!!!!!!!! but spring is a lotta sime of my week bc i competitive swim too and i hafta go to school too!!!!

Moto Guzzi
04-23-2003, 07:53 AM
Kay, are you able to do 3-turns on your Picskates? I know spins are difficult on them, but how are they for footwork? I've thought about getting a pair but am afraid I'd kill myself on them. Coordination is not my strong point!

Aussie Willy
04-24-2003, 08:09 AM
Okay - what are Picskates? Anyone able to post a link?

I can understand you being upset about your rink closing. And it is frustrating when you are finally getting the hang of those moves. Hopefully you can get to another rink or the time goes quickly.