View Full Version : Summer competition with adult events

Michigansk8er
04-21-2003, 08:55 AM
VanCamp (http://www.lansingsc.com/PDF/29thVanCampAnnouncement.pdf)

There are quite a few adult events, including CM, solo and couple dance.

sk8pics
04-22-2003, 06:56 AM
There are also quite a few adult events at Skate Wilmington (Wilmington, DE) at the end of July. The list of events can be found at:

http://www.wilmicesk8.com

I'm intending to enter the Bronze free skating and pre-bronze/bronze compulsory moves events (assuming we can skate up a level, since I've only passed the pre-bronze test).

Pat

LWalsh
04-22-2003, 09:51 AM
Pat,

I can't find on the Wilmington site where the list of events is. Am I blind? I don't see a link to an anouncement of anything. Help.

Lara

Mel On Ice
04-22-2003, 09:57 AM
Have to add St. Louis SC's Gateway Invitational, a USFSA event and SPFSA's Summer Getaway, an ISI event.

mskater
04-22-2003, 10:14 AM
I too can't find the list of events:(

sk8pics
04-22-2003, 10:30 AM
It was there, I swear! They must have taken it down this morning to update the list or hopefully put the application information on.

I recall they had adult Bronze, Silver, and Gold free skating, quite a few adult dance events, some sort of interpretive event (which I think is in the form of them giving you music 30 minutes or so before the event starts), and compulsory moves. For pre-Bronze/Bronze moves the elements were: half flip, salchow, at least 3 outside alternating 3-turns, a spiral or lunge, 1 foot spin (3 revolutions) skated on half the ice surface, without music, duration 1 minute8O. Sorry, but I don't remember any other elements or descriptions. I'm really hoping they do hold the pre-bronze/bronze compulsory event because my coach has already choreographed it for me and has started torturing me with it. :P He was joking about having me do my spiral as the last element right out the door on the rink, LOL. But we're having a lot of fun.

I hope everyone in the area participates!

Pat

mskater
04-22-2003, 10:54 AM
Thanks Pat,

So as you recall, there is not a Masters Event? In general, do most competitions with adult events exclude Masters?

sk8pics
04-22-2003, 11:55 AM
mskater,
There may have been an adult masters event, but I can't remember. Since I'll never in my life reach that level, I didn't pay attention to whether it was there. I'm thinking they did have masters level events last year or the year before, though.

Pat

LWalsh
04-22-2003, 12:09 PM
OK I figured it how to get to it. Go to Google and search on 2003 Skate Wilmington then click on the cached link. The older page will pop up with the link to the events.

Yes, there are Masters events.

mskater
04-22-2003, 12:37 PM
Ok, great; glad to see there are masters events:)

skaternum
04-22-2003, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by mskater
[BIn general, do most competitions with adult events exclude Masters? [/B]

Usually, the Masters events I've seen were at adult-only competitions. There is one local club comp that includes them because one of its members (who is a judge and active on the board) is a Masters competitor. That's usually the only Masters event they have.

blue111moon
04-22-2003, 12:49 PM
Around my neck of New England, I've seen a lot of club competitions that include Bronze, Silver, Gold and Masters events in their announcements. Beginner (no test) and Pre-Bronze are harder to find to enter.

However, a lot of times, Masters events are the first ones not to be held because there aren't enough entrants.

In New England, I know many of the opens offer adult events. There are some that don't but for the summer competitions, I know Cranberry in Yarmouth, MA and the Providence and Boston Opens have adult events.

Uaually, if you don't see the level you want on an application, all you have to do is get a friend and both call the chair and ask for it to be held. Most places will add the event if they have some sign of interest, unless their ice time is very limited or the competition is already huge and they don't need more bodies to make it profitable.

mskater
04-22-2003, 02:02 PM
Thanks for the info and advice:] I did some checking on the USFSA website and found the Atlanta Classic (I think is the name), which has a Masters event...so I'm excited to have a short-term goal now:)

sk8pics
04-22-2003, 02:25 PM
mskater--
The Hershey (Hershey, PA) competition also has adult masters events, I think. You can find their club website through the usfsa club listings. The application info is on line now. That competition is in early August I believe.
Pat